Message Boards

Topic : 11/23 Schizophrenia

Number of Replies: 502
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 18, 2005, 03:44:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Imagine hearing voices that don’t really exist, thinking lasers are shooting through your walls or believing that people are coming into your home through electrical outlets. For people with schizophrenia, these types of delusions and paranoia are part of daily life. Mary sees angels and demons and has even believed her husband was a demon in disguise. Then, Ann Marie and Tim would give anything to help their mother. She talks emphatically to people who aren’t there and speaks nonsense to her own children. Watch her erratic behavior captured on camera and find out whether her case is beyond treatment. Plus, two sisters, Melanie and Rachel, want to know if their minds could be ticking time bombs. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More November 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 23, 2005, 1:59 pm CST

I'm a advocate for someone that has schizophrenia

Hi all, this is my first time posting on Dr. Phil so bear with me. 

I have a friend that I took under my wing several yrs ago that's struggling with this mental disorder.  I encourage her to take her meds no mater what.  I go into her psych doc appointments to offer support and when she's unable to talk for herself when she's non responsive to questions then I give information about current issues and behaviors for the past few wks.  I have been apart of petitioning my friend when it was so needed.  I've worked in the mental health system and have my own mental illness (clinical depression, eating disorder and dissociative identity disorder) so I have some personal experience to freely give to my friend.  I do get frustrated with her lies to the doctor's while in the hospital that she's "fine" and she's not hearing any voices when she just got done telling me that their so loud and frightening.  We have a rule that she's always honest with me about everything even when she thinks that she may need to be hospitalization.  I can't help or advocate for her without honestly.  She's doing so well at this moment (as long as she's on her meds) and functions fairly well,  

November 23, 2005, 2:10 pm CST

Thank yu

Quote From: mimi1016

My daughters father is schizophrenic and bipolar and is hell on wheels to deal with most of the time.  We were together for 4 years before i finally left him because he would rather do drugs than take his medication, then would be abusive toward me as a result.  The one thing he did do right if nothing else was get on SSI.  He had the resources he needed to have a better life once he finally got on disability.  And as shameful as it is to admit to the state (or to anyone) that you and your family need help its worth it to keep your family together and your children taken care of properly.  It really sucks that life has dealt all of us the cards we have been dealt but there the only cards we get - i wish it was like go fish and we could trade for someone elses cards but that would just be too easy now wouldnt it?   

As for myself i suffer from Severe post traumatic stress disorder, depression, migraines, eating disorder and a drug addiction because i tried to help someone with schizophrenia and bipolar who wouldnt help himself.  The things he put me and our daughter through are unspeakable and hope that no one else would ever had to go through that.  Things can go out of control so quickly and before you even realize it.  Please get help from SSI and start improving your life today for your children and for yourself.  And dont worry about all those others, i had to go back to school because when i quit my job because of my ex, my old dr. i worked for was mad and since then still gives me a bad referral.  people are incapable of understanding until there, were we have been and you have much more important things to focus on besides how badly others may think of you for something they do not understand.  I wish you the best and please, please stay on your meds.  And we all need to help in this fight for the mentally ill, keep spreadin the word. 

Your reply to my message posting was very helpful... 

It is always nice to know that you are not alone.  I emailed this website to my husband and family members so they can see that I am not the only one and there is help.   

I will look into SSI/disability.  If I don't have to wait so long to get it, I will go ahead and apply.  My family just can't afford me being off of work for 2 years trying to get state income/help. 

Again, thank you...  I wish you the best...and take care of your little girl...My children is what keeps me going... 

November 23, 2005, 2:12 pm CST

Thank You Mary

Thank You Mary, if you are reading this for being so couragous.  It is nice that you have a smile on your face and I can see you have some peace.  Thank you to your husband too, for being a nice guy and being there for you. 

I hope you can write me back. 

I see faces in Marble and wood.  I can tell what "mood" I'm in depending if the faces are cute or mean. 

Cool, huh? 

November 23, 2005, 2:14 pm CST

book at the end of the show?

What was the book about stress and anxiety mentioned at the end of the show? I couldn't find it on the website. 

Lezlie 

November 23, 2005, 2:14 pm CST

Excuse me....

Quote From: newmomy2b2

how insensitive are you to say this poor girl is possessed. lady, skitzephrenia is a horrible mental illness. it's been around for a long time. a lot of these people are much better and able to function in regular society with the proper meds. i don't belive your rediculous possession bull. 

My sister, Mary is the one who bravely faced everyone on this show and I can assure you that comments like that are way off!  Even if you think that your helping by saying that, you have to understand that those kind of comments are going to plant ideas and fear where it should not be.  Mary has read the bible and asked God to forgive her in Jesus' name, and even with that peace still fears hell because the voices try to coerce her thinking.  She is strong and needs to be praised for her courage.   

One can only imagine the fear and the confusion that must go through her mind.  As her sibling I can tell everyone that she is an awesome person and a wonderful sister.  Even with all that she has had to face she has held up strong for her family, and I for one am damn proud of her. 

Hang in there!  Peace. 

November 23, 2005, 2:15 pm CST

11/23 Schizophrenia

The woman geust with the illness talked about voices, visions, and paranoia.   

I can totally relate to the voices part.  Scarily so.  My bio mother was schizophrenic, and I think maybe I've got just a little piece of what she had.  The voices are inside my head, but they aren't MY voice.  They tell me how horrible and ugly I am, and that I have no friends.  Often I drink to quiet them.   

I am very frightened of new situations, I need to know where I am going before getting there and I prefer to have someone be there with me for support.  In groups I will usually drift off to the side and sit alone, afraid to talk to people and wanting not to be alone at the same time. 

Why did I never piece together that stress is the trigger?   I am glad I saw the show.  But now what?  Just do mental relaxation techniques and avoid stress?  

I am not saying that I have schizophrenia, but are there different levels of the illness?  I started hearing the voices in my early teens, and I often get exteme emotional highs and lows.   This has been going on for so long that I thought it was normal for everyone.  I thought those voices were normal, something everyone goes through.  From what I heard on the show it sounded like everyone does NOT have those voices.  I am confused. 

November 23, 2005, 2:16 pm CST

Reply to Mary

Quote From: stryker_m

I am the one with schizophrenia on the show.  In response to your post, I got sick when i was 18.  I had my first full psychotic break then.  I was unmedicated for years struggling with this disease, self medicating with alcohol and running the streets.   I was not medicated at all for anything when the schizophrenia started. I will wait for the show to air before sharing any more.  I'm sure the show will cover alot of what I might say here. 

I really admire you, Mary. You have done such a wonderful thing for others with this devastating disease. I just wanted to tell you that it is amazing that you can be a wife and mother and also hold a job while coping with this illness. My sister was married to a man with schizophrenia for awhile so I saw first hand how hard it was for him to try to live as normal a life as he could. You should get a very big pat on the back!!  

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! 

November 23, 2005, 2:20 pm CST

We totally understand!!!

HI, 

WE TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. MY HUSBAND HAS SCHIZOPHRENIA. HE IS ONLY 22 AND I AM 21. WE WERE MARRIED 3 1/2 YEARS AGO. IT'S SO SCARY KNOWING ONE DAY HE WILL POSSIBLY NOT REMEMBER ME AND THE LIFE WE SHARE. BUT, YOU KNOW WHAT MY HUSBAND EVEN THOUGH HAVING THIS ILLNESS I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. JUST KNOWING THAT HE GOES TO WORK AND TREATS ME LIKE I'M HIS WORLD PLUS HAVING TO HEAR THE VOICES AND DEAL WITH THE STRUGGLES OF THIS ILLNESS MAKES ME NOT THINK, BUT KNOW THAT HE IS STRONGER AND SMARTER THEN ANY PERSON WITHOUT THIS ILLNESS. HE TOLD ME " Honey we have to create wonderful memories now, so we have something to fall back on .When maybe.. just one day... I won't be here mentally." YES MY HUSBAND AND I ALWAYS THINK OF THE FUTURE AND WHAT MIGHT BE INSTORE FOR US. WE HAVE NO CHILDREN FOR THE FEAR OUR CHILDREN MIGHT INHERIT THE SAME DISORDER. SO ADOPTION IS A BLESSING FOR US.  SPOUSES THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR YOUR SPOUSE KEEP IT STRONG, KEEP IT PURE. I KNOW YOU TRULY DO LOVE THEM AND MY HUSBAND AND I THANK YOU FOR GIVING YOUR SPOUSE STRENGTH AND LOVE THEY NEED. 

PEOPLE LISTEN IF YOU FOUND THAT YOU HAVE THIS ILLNESS DON'T ALLOW IT TO RIP YOUR LIFE APART. YOU MAKE YOUR LIFE. IT WILL GET HARDER BUT THAT'S WHEN YOU BECOME STRONGER. AND DON'T THINK YOUR NOT SMART BECAUSE OF IT. MY HUSBAND IS CERTIFIED IN THREE AREAS OF MECHANICS AND CAN WELD, BUILD HOMES, ELECTRICAL WORK,  AND IS CURRENTLY A ENGINEER AND A FOREMAN OF HIS SHOP. PREPARTION AND UNDERSTANDING AND LOVE IS THE KEY TO THIS ILLNESS. WE KNOW IT'S TOUGH. AND DON'T THINK YOUR NOT NORMAL WHAT IS NORMAL THESE DAYS? THE EARLIER YOU EXPERINCE THE TRIALS OF THE ILLNESS YOU BECOME MORE AND MORE PREPARED FOR THE NEXT TRIALS IN LIFE. MY HUSBAND AND OTHERS WITH THIS ILLNESS ARE TOUGHER THEN ANYONE I KNOW. I COMPLAIN OVER A HEADACHE WHEN MY HUSBAND NEVER COMPLAINS OF WHAT HE SEES OR HEARS. WOW WHAT A MAN. 

OUR HEART GOES OUT TO ALL WITH THE ILLNESS OR NOT. DON'T FORGET TO "LIVE LIFE!" 

November 23, 2005, 2:23 pm CST

Prayer for Mary

PRAYER TO SAINT MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly hosts, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan, and all the evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen..

November 23, 2005, 2:24 pm CST

11/23 Schizophrenia

Quote From: maddy1975

Please, please, please see a priest! There are priests authorized by their local bishops to do excorcisms. You must see this type of priest. I'm a convert from atheism. I never believed in the devil, demons or real evil. I used to think people who believed this stuff were wacky. My conversion is a long story, but today I know beyond a doubt that this evil exists and not something to mess around with. What you're describing sounds like possesion. Please, please, please find a trusted priest. Demons are real. God is stronger. May God's angel's, especially, St. Michael, surround you.

Most reputable priests would comfort you and then gently advise you to seek professional medical help - not perform an exorcism. The rite of exorcism is not lightly undertaken. In fact, the rite of exorcism may only be performed by certain priests who have been given a specific faculty to do so by the diocesan bishop. The exorcist decides whether a person is possessed after a diligent investigation, including extensive consultation, with spiritual, medical and psychological experts.  

So, consulting a priest may lead you to qualified psychological help which would be beneficial. I seriously doubt you will end up as the subject of  an exorcism however.  

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last