Message Boards

Topic : 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Number of Replies: 1324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:43:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 09/16/05) How important do you think looks really are? And, do you think attractive people get treated better in society? Dr. Phil's son, Jay, goes out in  disguise to see if people really do judge a book by its cover. You won't believe the results, nor the response that surprised him the most! Plus, Debi favors her older daughter because she’s "beautiful" and treats her youngest like "dirt" because she's "fat and unattractive." Can Dr. Phil help her love both girls equally? And, Michelle only lets her daughter play with pretty kids on the playground because she equates beauty with success in life. Will she learn to re-evaluate her standards? Tell us your thoughts on today's show.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 28, 2006, 1:43 pm CDT

05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Yes....this is what I've always known to be true....If you are NOT Blonde and Blue with a belly button that people want to look at ...then of course....you are so not going places in your workplace...for sure.  I see it all the time where I work.....all through the 12 1/2 years I've been where I'm at.  Yes...I AM brown and brown...no belly button to be found....just watch Dr Phil's show when the camera does it's random showing though the audience....they usually always zoom in on the blonde and/or blues!  People don't ever want to upset a blonde and/or blue (otherwise known as "pretty people") because we never want to see them sad or Heaven forbid that BLUE eyes cry!!!!  That's the worst thing that could ever happen!  When we brown-eyed cry...it just looks like mud I guess!

May 28, 2006, 7:08 pm CDT

the eye of the beholder

It's a shame that so much emphasis is placed on what's on the outside rather than inside. Many people over the years have told me I should model......flattering,however, I lacked self esteem & confidence. I did go to an agency once......I felt like a piece of meat when I entered the establishment...the other girls looked me up & down ( once they got their noses off the ceiling ). Although to look @ them they were beautiful, ....listening to them & observing them for a short time made them unattractive. Not that every "beautiful" person opens their mouth & becomes ugly.....this was simply my experience @ that time. I know, what society may consider average to less than average people , that happen to have a genuine kindness, that make them beyond beautiful. I've always been thin & athletic...however, I do NOT judge people who aren't . I do care about their health. I feel the extra weight causes many problems for people that they otherwise wouldn't have . Weight doesn't make a person good or bad...just as being thin doesn't. It would simply be a better planet if every single person living on it would do just ONE thing........follow the Golden Rule. I've had people that were much heavier than me, glare @ me for eating a salad.....perhaps they felt funny because they had chosen to eat the bacon cheese burger & chili cheese fries. My point is that we are all ( at times ) discriminated against for all sorts of reasons. Beauty is each of our perception. I wish for all who read this ( experience & opinion ) of mine....PEACE, LOVE & SMILES.  

May 28, 2006, 8:19 pm CDT

I feel pretty...

Quote From: blazermama

Yes....this is what I've always known to be true....If you are NOT Blonde and Blue with a belly button that people want to look at ...then of course....you are so not going places in your workplace...for sure.  I see it all the time where I work.....all through the 12 1/2 years I've been where I'm at.  Yes...I AM brown and brown...no belly button to be found....just watch Dr Phil's show when the camera does it's random showing though the audience....they usually always zoom in on the blonde and/or blues!  People don't ever want to upset a blonde and/or blue (otherwise known as "pretty people") because we never want to see them sad or Heaven forbid that BLUE eyes cry!!!!  That's the worst thing that could ever happen!  When we brown-eyed cry...it just looks like mud I guess!
About blue eyed blondes. I happen to be one and I can tell you it hasn't been what's it cut out to be. You need to meet the right people. People who don't have looks as a top priority. I hate the fakeness so much. I think I look pretty average, but when I put on the make up and the hair and the clothes its a whole other ballgame. I totally see how different I am treated, the doors get held open for me, they will let me in when driving and stare/look at me more. I think thats why I don't bother with make up ect everyday so I can seperate the real people from the fake.

May 28, 2006, 8:23 pm CDT

wearing a disguise

Quote From: dc3gal

I can't wait to see Dr. Phil's show Tuesday on this subject and I think it's great his son went out in disquise as well.  I don't have to see the show to know what the answers are going to be, but really want to see others' reaction to this subject.  I wish other famous people would disquise themselves and go out and see how it really is. 
I feel like I wear a disguise whenever I apply the make up and do the hair. So I don't bother...

May 28, 2006, 8:29 pm CDT

To "Not Pretty"

Quote From: dustmite1

i have always been considered NOT pretty -not that i'm too ugly to look at - but i have seen the preference all my life to the pretty ones - no matter what - pretty gets first in whatever the situation is........ i can wish all i want - but since i'm not considered 'pretty' i sure don't get what i want -   

it's totally frustrating living in a world like this -   

i won't be surprised at what jay finds - i know i won't -   

thanks for your shows - thanks for all you do -   

I'd like to know who these people are who have made you think your not pretty. I don't like to have negative people like that in my life. I hope you know your opinion of your self is what counts most. Remember if you think your not pretty other people may think it to. You shouldn't say that because other people may find you attractive. Besides there are always ways to enhance what you have to feel better

May 28, 2006, 11:01 pm CDT

Expectations on women are PRETTY UGLY

It's not enough to be smart, educated, talented, friendly, courteous, neighborly, a good housekeeper, cook, mother, taxi, church member, community activist, gardener, seamtress, - we have to be pretty, thin, and sexy, too. 

Who says so?  Hollywood.  Magazines and media. And mostly, men!  They seem to think we're useless we look like a centerfold.  Why are men so arrogant that they think we women are created just for their viewing pleasure.  Why can't they get over their eye trouble and just look at their own wives?  

I am not fat, but I did have a VERY painful liposuction to please my husband and it was so painful!  They don't tell you upfront that it hurts for months.  I'd rather have a baby! 

May 29, 2006, 8:53 am CDT

Apparently you do as well

Quote From: frillyfroo

It's not enough to be smart, educated, talented, friendly, courteous, neighborly, a good housekeeper, cook, mother, taxi, church member, community activist, gardener, seamtress, - we have to be pretty, thin, and sexy, too. 

Who says so?  Hollywood.  Magazines and media. And mostly, men!  They seem to think we're useless we look like a centerfold.  Why are men so arrogant that they think we women are created just for their viewing pleasure.  Why can't they get over their eye trouble and just look at their own wives?  

I am not fat, but I did have a VERY painful liposuction to please my husband and it was so painful!  They don't tell you upfront that it hurts for months.  I'd rather have a baby! 

I'm not sure what kind of guy your married too, but it sounds like he's a superficial one that you described above.  You got liposuction to please him?  Why?  Isn't that kind of enforcing his behavior to only look at pretty women?  That the outside matters more than the inside? 

I am lucky enough to be married to a man who loves me for me.  Four years of marrriage and two kids later and he still thinks I look sexy and I think he is as well.  I'm not overweight as well, but it was MY decision to do what I did.  Lucky for me, my husband cares what is on the inside and thinks I'm beautiful.  

I don't need a liposuction to please him.  I thought you could only get liposuction if you did have fat areas that couldn't be worked on.  I'm surprised they did it for you. 

May 29, 2006, 10:25 am CDT

pretty is not enough

pretty is not enough ,your weight and the clothes that you wear have alot to be said about you and if you are ugly , fat not one will want to have anything to do with you. 

darklore 

May 29, 2006, 11:15 am CDT

UglyUmm

I really have hard time dealing with the way I look, I sometime feel that I am not attractive enough. I feel that I have to try to be someone I am not, just to fide in with the crowned. I need a break in my lfie, I wanted to feel attractive, I don't know if is going to help or not. My biggest problem is my teens, I wish that they were straight.  

Clark  

May 29, 2006, 1:39 pm CDT

whats she thinking?

i saw the clip of the upcoming tuesdays show and i think that little girl is beautiful i cant beleive the mommy doesnt think so to!

First | Prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | Next | Last