Message Boards

Topic : 08/14 Teens: Pressure to Be Pretty

Number of Replies: 91
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 24, 2009, 02:53:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/01/09) Cosmetic surgery among teens 18 and younger has more than tripled over a 10-year period. Dr. Phil talks to young women who say they face pressure from the media, their peers and even their own parents to be beautiful. Eighteen-year-old Jennifer says her mom, Martha, wants her to get liposuction, breast implants, a nose job and laser hair removal because she says beauty sells. Jennifer says she’s satisfied with her looks, and she wants her mom to back off. Dr. Phil gives Martha a wake-up call, and it’s not pretty! Then, 18-year-old Ashley says she wants a second breast implant surgery to increase to a Double-D cup size because “pretty people get more opportunities in life.” Ashley’s father and stepmother say the first surgery was necessary to boost Ashley’s self-esteem, but they’re against her getting any more procedures. Will Ashley change her mind about going under the knife again? Plus, meet a 17-year-old who says it’s not only time for breast implants, but also for Botox for her crow’s feet, and lip and cheek injections! Weigh in!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 1, 2009, 4:55 pm CDT

DD = Back pain

I had double d's before I had my son and now their bigger, I am unsure what size I am now. I've always been a large breasted woman and it doesn't bring the attention you want. Also you back is always killing, a bra never feels like it fits right, you can't job, you can't run. I am always at the chiropratior due to back pain. Personally for me my breast have killed how I feel about my body.

I am scared to run, jog, or even exercise in public, because of how they bounce. I have literally wacked myself in the face with them.

Why would a C breasted woman want to go to double D's. She's has self-esteem problems if she think bigger is better. I was a C in middle school, I loved it, it was perfect, sadly my breast had a mind of their own and kept growing.

If my husband and I could afford it, I would have a breast reduction right now, I would go down to a C, and be able to do the things I've always wanted to do like jog, run, and exercise without being worried about spanking myself in the face.

May 1, 2009, 5:23 pm CDT

Oh to be flat again!

Before getting married, I measured 33" in the bust.  I got married, had a couple of pregnancies, and ballooned to a 38DD.  Women should wait until they stop developing  before they consider getting implants. 

May 1, 2009, 5:41 pm CDT

The truth about breast emplants

I grew up with very, very small breasts - we are talking an A cup was huge on me.   I always wanted breast implants, but wanted to wait until I had children; in case a would miraculously grow.  Well, I had two beautiful children at ages 23 and 26 and nothing happened!  So, when I was 29, I got breast implants.  Well, I am now 41 and I have had 6 surgeries on my right breast and 4 on my left breast and let me tell you they are not pretty!!!  The first time I had the surgery, I got an infection that lasted 3 months and then I had to have them removed for a month to heal.  I didn't know if I wanted them back in, but when I saw how stretched out they were (went to a small size C), i had them put back in.  Well, fast forward 7 years and some fun and wrestling in the snow with my children and one implant popped.  They don't tell you when you have the surgery done that you will more than likely have to have them replaced every 10 years or so!  So, of course I had them replaced because as you loss and gain weight, so does your very small breast sitting on top of the implant and it starts to sag (even though mine are saline and under the muscle).  Well, 17 months after that surgery, I woke up to a very flat looking right breast.  I had that one replaced and a year after that, it looked "strange" again.  Well, I had it replaced and ended up having a hematoma and a very long and painful recovery.  With all the scars I have and the not perfectly shaped breasts that I have - I now would have never done the surgeries.  People always ask me why I just don't get the taken out - well, I would have to pay ALOT of money and to have them taken out , but I get them REPLACED free from my doctor and the insurance you get when you have them put in - so believe me I would if I could afford it!!!  And, yes, when you have them put in ALOT of guys only look at your chest.  And one of my children is a girl and she has seen me go through all the pain, heartache and ugliness and she will never have this surgery done.  So, think twice if you feel cosmetic surgery will make you into some beautiful person!!!!!!

May 1, 2009, 6:55 pm CDT

05/01 Teens: Pressure to Be Pretty

Quote From: monafindlay

Before getting married, I measured 33" in the bust.  I got married, had a couple of pregnancies, and ballooned to a 38DD.  Women should wait until they stop developing  before they consider getting implants. 

Yeah, I've wondered myself if Dr.'s question the girls about whether or not they are still developing when they're that young? Unfortunately, girls that young are mentally incapable of rationalizing the pros vs. cons. All they want is to look like the air-brushed women in the magazines.  I realize they don't air-brush their breasts but that's still who most girls strive to be like.   I'm 28 and stopped developing as soon as I started, so I never made past a small B cup.  I would like to be a full C, which is what I feel would help me look proportioned with the rest of my body, but my finances won't allow it.  Plus, that a -whole-lot of money if something did go wrong. 

May 1, 2009, 7:13 pm CDT

Quote From: gena328

I grew up with very, very small breasts - we are talking an A cup was huge on me.   I always wanted breast implants, but wanted to wait until I had children; in case a would miraculously grow.  Well, I had two beautiful children at ages 23 and 26 and nothing happened!  So, when I was 29, I got breast implants.  Well, I am now 41 and I have had 6 surgeries on my right breast and 4 on my left breast and let me tell you they are not pretty!!!  The first time I had the surgery, I got an infection that lasted 3 months and then I had to have them removed for a month to heal.  I didn't know if I wanted them back in, but when I saw how stretched out they were (went to a small size C), i had them put back in.  Well, fast forward 7 years and some fun and wrestling in the snow with my children and one implant popped.  They don't tell you when you have the surgery done that you will more than likely have to have them replaced every 10 years or so!  So, of course I had them replaced because as you loss and gain weight, so does your very small breast sitting on top of the implant and it starts to sag (even though mine are saline and under the muscle).  Well, 17 months after that surgery, I woke up to a very flat looking right breast.  I had that one replaced and a year after that, it looked "strange" again.  Well, I had it replaced and ended up having a hematoma and a very long and painful recovery.  With all the scars I have and the not perfectly shaped breasts that I have - I now would have never done the surgeries.  People always ask me why I just don't get the taken out - well, I would have to pay ALOT of money and to have them taken out , but I get them REPLACED free from my doctor and the insurance you get when you have them put in - so believe me I would if I could afford it!!!  And, yes, when you have them put in ALOT of guys only look at your chest.  And one of my children is a girl and she has seen me go through all the pain, heartache and ugliness and she will never have this surgery done.  So, think twice if you feel cosmetic surgery will make you into some beautiful person!!!!!!

That is so frustrating and unfortunate.  Sad thing is, you're probably alot like me and just wanted to be the size your were supposed for your height and weight.  I never blossomed past a small B cup.  Now, at 28 y/o and 5' 8", that's what I remain.  I'm not doing this in disrespect but you are a prime example of what could happen to these "little girls" biting at the bits to get/have more surgery. 

You mentioned that one of yours popped.  My question is, is that more likely to happen when you're as small as "us" and don't have adiquate breast tissue?  I've wondered that ever since I started wanting them.

May 2, 2009, 11:29 am CDT

Thanks, Jordan

Quote From: jordanreimer

I'm 16 years old, and live in San Diego, CA. It is a very had place not to feel pressure to be perfect, but slowly I am coming to love myself the way I am. That is what life is all about. While watching this show, I saw the young girl who wanted DD breast implants. Dr. Phil and her father were obviously trying to talk her out of it, and some of the things they were saying/assumptions they were making about teenagers with DD breasts were unfair and hurtful. I am an ALL NATURAL 34DD, and the things they said actually hurt my feelings. He father said if she were to get the implants, she would attract the, "Wrong kinds of people..." and Dr. Phil said they would become her defining feature. Although they do help people describe me in detail, people DO know me for other things. I just wanted to say that maybe they were not being fair and were trying to hard to talk her out of what she wanted and didn't think of other peoples feelings.

jordanreimer.com

When I watched the show, I found myself agreeing with Dr. Phil that double-D breasts define a woman.  I had forgotten that some women/girls actually have natural large breasts.   This may be a sad commentary on values, but I (a 68 year old male) must say that the first thing I am going to notice about you when you walk into the room, is your bust line.   It's right out front, and there is no way someone cannot notice.   Our society, for reasons I don't understand, equates large breasts with "no brains".   You may be a Harvard graduate, you may be a poet laureate, you may be a concert pianist, but people who can't remember you name, or your occupation, will remember that you have large breasts.  It will  be your burden (unfortunately) to assure your new acquaintances that you have a brain; that you have talent; that there is more to you than physique.   From your post, I sense that you have already learned to do that.  
   As for "wrong kind of men";  I think it would be more accurate to say, your physique will attract "more" men...some will be "right kind" some will be "wrong kind."

I don't remember the quote exactly, but I once heard Dolly Parton say (paraphrase)< "I like men who look me straight in the eye....I meet so few of them."   The men who look you "straight in the eye" will be the keepers.      

May 2, 2009, 12:12 pm CDT

Allowing others to judge you by appearance

I can't believe that Dr Phil didn't approach the subject of letting shallow people to judge you by your appearace. In the first place breast were placed on women as a means of feeding their young and not for the shallow minded people to judge you as a person. I have been born with small breasts and never had a problem meeting men. I want people to know me as an intelligent, good hearted person. My breasts have nothing to do with that. If a man needs breast above brains - LOOK ELSEWHERE !

May 2, 2009, 12:22 pm CDT

Questions From Dr. Phil

I was so hoping that Dr. Phil would question Ashley's stepmother about her obsession with plastic surgery.  She is clearly a repeat customer and is obviously setting a bad example for Ashely.  The father may be a fan of cosmetic surgery himself.   I wish Ashley biological mother, if alive and actively raising her daughter, had been invited to participate in the show.

May 2, 2009, 2:14 pm CDT

Please tell the teen my concerns

I really would like to relay my thoughts to the teen who wants DD breasts.  I don't wish the DD on anybody.  I naturally have them and it is nothing but trouble-  I have trouble finding the right bra, and my back hurts a lot.  One of the worst is hunting for a swimsuit- I have yet to find one that has the right support so that I don't have to take the time to alter the bra and put in underwires so that I don't slip out of the cups of the suit.  Not to mention that they always seem extremely sensitive to the slightest thing.  Finding clothes isn't always fun either.  And the fake ones would be most perky, the real ones are not and the stretch marks and the side of the breast fat isn't easy to fit.  I admit some of it has to do with my weight- but please let her see this and now that good looking boobs aren't the most awesome things to have-  I really wish I could get mine reduced to a C.

May 2, 2009, 5:13 pm CDT

Quote From: stormywinds

I had double d's before I had my son and now their bigger, I am unsure what size I am now. I've always been a large breasted woman and it doesn't bring the attention you want. Also you back is always killing, a bra never feels like it fits right, you can't job, you can't run. I am always at the chiropratior due to back pain. Personally for me my breast have killed how I feel about my body.

I am scared to run, jog, or even exercise in public, because of how they bounce. I have literally wacked myself in the face with them.

Why would a C breasted woman want to go to double D's. She's has self-esteem problems if she think bigger is better. I was a C in middle school, I loved it, it was perfect, sadly my breast had a mind of their own and kept growing.

If my husband and I could afford it, I would have a breast reduction right now, I would go down to a C, and be able to do the things I've always wanted to do like jog, run, and exercise without being worried about spanking myself in the face.

Ashley`s c cup breasts are implants her parents thought would solve her self esteem problems. And she wants even bigger ones! If she gets them i wonder what she`ll want next. Bigger lips?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last