Message Boards

Topic : 12/16 Dr. Phil and Robin's Classic Holidays

Number of Replies: 159
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 11, 2008, 02:51:22 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've heard the saying that Christmas is "The most wonderful time of the year," but Dr. Phil's audience members say they're feeling stressed and worried about affording the holidays this year. To their surprise, they've been invited to celebrate a classic Christmas with Dr. Phil and Robin on their holiday giveaway show! From necessities like gas cards, cash and home-cooked dinners to cool high-tech gadgets like the latest cell phone, video camera, watch and GPS device -- each audience member is going home with more than $10,000 worth of goods. What would Christmas be without family? Dr. Phil and Robin's sons, Jay and Jordan, and daughter-in-law, Erica, join them to give away their favorite products, including clothes, beauty items and housewares. Special celebrity guests drop by to share their hottest Christmas gifts, and Santa brings a sleigh full of toys for children of all ages. When Kermit the Frog joins the show seeking advice for his relationship with Miss Piggy, he has Dr. Phil in stitches! And, Robin suggests presents for the woman in your life. Plus, don't miss the amazing musical and dance performances. If you're looking for great gift ideas for your loved ones, you won't want to miss these best-of-the-season items for every budget. And, learn how you can get discounts on some of these products! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 16, 2008, 2:10 pm CST

Humbug

Today's Christmas show highlighted everything that's wrong with this country and with Christmas.
Stuff! Stuff! More stuff! Rampant greed and materialism.
I'm sure the advertisers who provided the items were thrilled to death. Me? I was disgusted.

December 16, 2008, 2:24 pm CST

Prerequisite for Holiday Show?

I cannot believe what I saw being given away on the Holiday Show. 'Each audience member is going home with more than $10,000 worth of goods.'  There are so many homeless and jobless people right now, wouldn't that money be better spent on shelters and at grocery stores for people in need? I am not certain if there was a montly income amount per household to be an audience member, but I sure hope so.   There are so many who really need these things, some kids who get zero toys for Christmas.  Unbelievable to me that some of that couldn't been given to more in need.  Finally they showed Santa who helped adults and those in need(first time I heard that during the giveaways, I kept waiting for that word) and it was because it was just one more thing for the audience, a book for each and every one of them.  I want to say I don't begrudge but I guess I do, there are so many families that would have given anything to be able to get a months' worth of food, not only food, but Omaha Steaks!!  I am very disappointed in this.   I sit here feeling like jobless should have been in the audience.  They did mention some foster parents were in the audience, thank goodness!

December 16, 2008, 2:24 pm CST

at home viewers want to win prizes too

I am surviving on disability and dont travel at all. I couldnt afford to even if I wanted to.

Do you have a sign up for at home viewers to win some of the prizes on your holiday show???

If so I would like to enter.

December 16, 2008, 2:25 pm CST

I, TOO, Watched The Show.....

Quote From: deemzee

Here we go again!  I'm not a Scrooge but I really don't care for this show.  The items are luxurious, often technical wonders, number one on the "most wanted" list, but 99% of them are totally impractical for the average person.  How about a year's worth of healthy food?  How about clothing certificates for the entire family?  How about home heating/cooling certificates?  How about pet food and care?  How about a gift certificate for auto maintenance?  How about health and prescription help?  How about being REALISTIC?????  I don't want a Wii.  I want good food on my table, heat and cooling for my home.  I want health and prescription coverage that enables me to be healthy.  I want to be able to pay my bills, property taxes, water bills, utilities, etc.  and not be worried if I'll have enough for all the other expenses in life.  I would love to have someone help us maintain our property and help me clean the house.  I'd like to take my husband to see his entire family.  They are all getting older and live in 3 different states.   Or, attend a family reunion.  I don't need gadgets or perfume or skin care products.  Doesn't Dr. Phil remember his childhood?  I guess not.  Who wants all those fancy things when you're sick or hungry or struggling?  Please get real with your holiday show!!!!

First of all, companies DONATE those items -- that's why they're featured.  If I won those prizes, I would sell some of them on eBay, craigslist and through my local newspaper.  THEN I would use that money to buy health insurance etc.  Or I would barter some of those gifts with neighbors, snow plow guys, a mom who would be willing to clean my house ...  Be creative, people!  You also could donate some of those fancy items to a women's shelter or a charity auction.  I would share my Paula Deen ham with some hungry family, I would invite some neighborhood kids over for a DVD party, I would give the educational toys to a childcare center ...  JUST THINK, ALL THOSE LUCKY PEOPLE IN THE AUDIENCE COULD BECOME SANTAS IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITIES!!!!!! 

I believe that Dr. Phil mentioned a couple of times that the folks in that particular audience HAVE lost their Homes, Jobs, Spouses etc…

He gave away food items- some good for a year. I felt that he was being sensitive to those in need. This is a very difficult time for a lot of people. I felt that he ‘adopted’ SO many families in that audience, who might not have had a Christmas had it NOT been for this show.

I further believe that it is up to everyone who is able to give, to do so this Christmas! I believe that Dr. Phil was using his show- and recruiting his family- as a platform to help the people who are in need! I don't REALLY care if Sony, Hasbro, or Samsung are donating items in exchange for the advertisement! The important point is that donations are being made to those in need this Christmas!

I am personally glad to see shows like this reaching out to those who are facing hard times. I wish that every celebrity used their names, their faces, their shows in this fashion, to give to those in need this Christmas!

Just Some Thoughts.

December 16, 2008, 2:33 pm CST

feeling your pain

Quote From: dendroid

I am surviving on disability and dont travel at all. I couldnt afford to even if I wanted to.

Do you have a sign up for at home viewers to win some of the prizes on your holiday show???

I am also surviving on disability,and taking care of my 2 elderly parents, I also would like the chance to have something nice to have or better to give to my loved ones for christmas.

December 16, 2008, 2:38 pm CST

I TOO, WOULD LIKE THOSE GIFTS FOR MY FAMILY

I TOO HAVE JUST FINISHED WATCHING THE SHOW TODAY.  DR.PHIL STARTED THE SHOW TELLING HOW HARD THE ECONOMY IS, AND THEN GOES OUT AND TELLS ALL HIS AUDIECE THAT THEY WILL BE RECEIVIG HOLIDAY GIFTS.   SOME $10,000.00 PLUS. MY FAMILY IS HURTING TOO.  I AM DIAGNOSED WITH ' LOU GERHIG DISEASE ' AND ON SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY,  ALTHOUGH MY WIFE WORKS, WE STILL HAVE A HARD TIME, ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR.  HOW FORTUNE IT IS FOR THOSE PEOPLE THAT GET TO ATTEND ( HUSBANDS & WIVES),  THEY GET DOUBLE THE GIFTS.

I KNOW MY FAMILY WON'T EVEN COME NO WHERE CLOSE TO THE AMOUNT OF GIFTS THAT THEY RECEIVED.   TALKING ABOUT DEPRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 16, 2008, 2:41 pm CST

12/16 Dr. Phil and Robin's Classic Holidays

Quote From: dendroid

REPLYING TO YOUR LETTER,   I, TOO AM ON DISABILITY AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW DO WE PEOPLE GET A CHANCE TO WIN PRIZES  ?????

December 16, 2008, 2:43 pm CST

Be Thankful for What You Have and Happy for Those Who Received

I have to say how sad I am for those of you who feel resentment and anger for the lucky viewers of the Christmas giveaway show.  I am one of the less fortunate and I am glad that there are a few families that will have a good Christmas that otherwise would not.  I, in the past year (having already had 30 surgeries and looking at more) have lost my home, my husband has been out of work for a year and it is my daughter's senior year of high school (lots of expenses we can't afford).  We were fortunate enough to find a home to rent (although it is much smaller) from a wonderful woman who was willing to take a chance on us even though we have horrible credit.  We are thankful for the roof over our head.  While our home is much smaller we also take care of our 12 year old nephew who has aspbergers, my 9 year old niece (who deals on a daily basis of being a biracial child, rascism is not gone people we see it all the time) and 90% of the time our 4 year old grandson stays with us.  Instead of looking at them as more mouths to worry about feeding we are thankful to have a place for them to stay.  Our 25 year old daughter was injured a couple of months ago and has been out of work so she is staying with us because she can't pay her heating bill.  She has no insurance so her foot has gone untreated because no doctor will fix it since she is one of the millions of uninsured Americans.  We don't have the money to buy presents for anyone in our home but it is filled with love and we will follow our holiday traditions of baking cookies and giving them to less fortunate and lonely people that we know.   We do not look at what we don't have and say poor us, we look at what we do have and are thankful for it and wish there was more for us to share with people in worse situations that us.  Christmas is about giving even if you think you have nothing to give.  Sometimes a smile is enough to make someone's day.  You should try it.

December 16, 2008, 2:45 pm CST

depressing show,...

I have been explaining for weeks to my 11 year old daughter that due to her upcoming surgery just after New Years, (she has had 9 already) and that "Santa" can't get her anything she wants this year because things are tough,....

Now, I have to explain why we couldn't afford to be at the Dr. phil show because according to her "they get all kinds of stuff, and that would make it easier on Santa."

It's great that most people can give, just hard to explain why we all cant.

December 16, 2008, 2:54 pm CST

MERRY CHRISTMAS DR PHIL AND FAM

My Fam and I would like to say Merry Christmas to you and your Fam.Christmas is about the closeness you share with your family and not what you can buy them.I am teaching my kids this as well.They still get a few things,but they must know you get what you get and to be happy with it or Santa will take it back and give it to another child who would be very thankful to receive the gifts they complain about.OH, one more thing Merry Christmas to everyone that reads this letter.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last