Message Boards

Topic : 11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:17:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
As the nation suffers through an economic meltdown, many Americans resort to drastic measures to keep their families afloat. Just how far would you go to stay in the black? Laura and her husband, Allen, say they’ve made nearly $1 million in the last six years. There’s just one problem –- they don’t have jobs! Self-proclaimed professional shoplifters, the couple says they travel across state lines to steal TVs, toys, electronics and more –- and they often take their three young children along on their heists. They videotape themselves to show Dr. Phil how they get away with nabbing big-ticket items. Do Laura and Allen just get a thrill from thievery, or are they kleptomaniacs? Can the couple quit for good before they get arrested and lose their children? Then, Tami and Chris have a beautiful house, three cars and two children. But Tami says her husband is shattering their idyllic home life with his shoplifting addiction. She says he’s been arrested four times and was recently sentenced to 90 days in state prison. Chris joins Dr. Phil via satellite from jail to tell his side of the story. Find out why he says he can’t stop stealing, but when he hears his 4-year-old daughter's emotional plea, will he change his mind? And, Tami’s mom, Marilyn, calls Chris a pathological liar and says her daughter needs to kick him to the curb. Is Chris beyond redemption? Will he be able to clean up his act? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 21, 2008, 7:51 pm CST

What's your point?

Quote From: jewelsf

And your point here is?
Whether it is a petty thief or the leader of a state, country, or empire, it is wrong ethically and morally to take what is not yours.

November 22, 2008, 3:16 pm CST

Shoplifting Couple

It seemed obvious to me that the "shoplifting couple" contacted Dr. Phil after feeling threatened by the arrival of the police at their door.
Were they hoping that a (B.S.) attempt to get help would save them from prosecution?
I see this only two ways: Either they will be "rewarded" for their behavior by not being prosecuted, or we will all receive a positive message when they are prosecuted.

PROSECUTE.PROSECUTE.PROSECUTE.PROSECUTE.PROSECUTE.PROSECUTE.PROSECUTE.PROSECUTE

November 24, 2008, 10:41 am CST

I hope thier in Jail now

I, was socked to watch this couple and find  out what . Can't they be arrested for  admitting they have stolen goods in their home and in storage spaces? Why can't the government step in and arrest them for tax evasion? 

How did they pay rent or buy their home, cars with our a job for a reference?  I felt they showed no remorse for what they have done, and when Dr. Phil told them they could lose their children, it seemed they didn't care.

This is a show I would like to see followed up.(hopefully they be in jail).

I get laid off  from my job on 01/15/08, It will be hard to find a job because  I'm 51, and have been working for 29years.  People are going to call be over qualified,  Would I, resort to stealing NO WAY.

November 24, 2008, 4:25 pm CST

Can't believe those people

I lost my job because of shoplifters. I was store manager in a small store shoplifting was a real problem.  We had everything from ink pens (taken out of package left us package) to TV's stolen.  We had a problem with DVD's and video games being stolen.  After months of viewing security tapes we found a couple (grandmotherly) come in and steal 20 to 30 when they came in.  Finally we spotted them in the store they got out before police could be called but we got their license plate number they were from two states away.  Since I couldn't control the shrink I lost my job.  Now I'm making less than half of what I was and have a part time job (lucky to have that).  I'm still in retail and don't trust anyone. 

I am so upset with shoplifters, then to have them on the show and brag about how they steal,  My daughter is a department manager for Walmart, she has had 4 computers stolen in 4 months.  They have security tags on them but they still get out of the store with them.  The last one was taken out of the box in the store and taken out.  Last year she had $15,000.00 of merchandise stolen from her department. 

When you go shopping look around.  How many empty packages do you see?  I know times are hard I'm living it also.  But stealing isn't the answer.  I hope like so many others the police were waiting for those people when they got home.  Donating the items to charity what an easy way out. The should take the stuff back to where it was stolen and suffer the results.

November 25, 2008, 1:58 pm CST

I Understand What I Fills Like

i was 16 when I first shoplifted and because I never got caught i continued to steal I knew it was hurting people but i was a thrill for me; a high that i was addicted to. I never got the point of stealing electronics but I always took clothes. My family was not always well off so one year for x-mas  i decided that i would get everyone clothes and thats how it started. I would have to say I'm 23 now and i would be in the high millions of dollars. I'm not saying that I'm proud of what I've done but when times are hard and it is so easy I know why these couples have turned to stealing. And also people are thrill seekers and that is another reason why people steal. However the one thing I have to say is there day is coming whether or not they believe it, even i thought that i would and could never get CAUGHT, HaHaHa your living in a fantasy because you will. Even I got caught it was very stupid but i was lucky that it was not on my BIG day it was very small so i pretty much got a slap on the hand. However i did learn my lesson and have not, no matter how hard times get, turned to stealing. I also want to say that i am truly sorry for all the people that i hurt.  And all the people that these couples hurt we truly are not doing with the intention of hurting anyone, we just fill that it is the only way out.

November 25, 2008, 10:52 pm CST

I've seen many empties!

Quote From: aprilfweldy

I lost my job because of shoplifters. I was store manager in a small store shoplifting was a real problem.  We had everything from ink pens (taken out of package left us package) to TV's stolen.  We had a problem with DVD's and video games being stolen.  After months of viewing security tapes we found a couple (grandmotherly) come in and steal 20 to 30 when they came in.  Finally we spotted them in the store they got out before police could be called but we got their license plate number they were from two states away.  Since I couldn't control the shrink I lost my job.  Now I'm making less than half of what I was and have a part time job (lucky to have that).  I'm still in retail and don't trust anyone. 

I am so upset with shoplifters, then to have them on the show and brag about how they steal,  My daughter is a department manager for Walmart, she has had 4 computers stolen in 4 months.  They have security tags on them but they still get out of the store with them.  The last one was taken out of the box in the store and taken out.  Last year she had $15,000.00 of merchandise stolen from her department. 

When you go shopping look around.  How many empty packages do you see?  I know times are hard I'm living it also.  But stealing isn't the answer.  I hope like so many others the police were waiting for those people when they got home.  Donating the items to charity what an easy way out. The should take the stuff back to where it was stolen and suffer the results.

I have to say that the security tags don't work worth beans. I've purchased items of clothing only to get home and find the (impossible to remove) garment tags still attached. Obviously the alarms were never set off or I would have known it and been able to have them removed before I got home. Shoplifting is just a short step behind burglary, either way you are acquiring merchandise that does not belong to you. Would that first couple have sat on that stage with that stupid look on their faces if they had to admit to burglarizing other people's homes?

November 28, 2008, 1:12 pm CST

Book 'em Doctor

The audacity of the first couple on your show. They weren't the least bit remorsefull about what they did. I don't even know why they agreed to come on the show. I was unconvinced that they wanted to stop or thought it was a big deal in any way. I do not ever want to see kids taken from their parents but sometimes their parents are the worst people they can be with. What are these kids going to learn, if they haven't already?? I hope they were arrested and everything was returned to the stores where they came from and that they are banned for life from EBay!! How disgusting!!

November 30, 2008, 6:03 pm CST

What will they do for a living now? I have to assume that the "law" where they live will be very interested in them upon their return. They are in fact in possesion of stolen property, that alone is a crime even if you are not the one who stole it. And what about the IRS?  May they get what they deserve!
      I bet if they go home and steal again then they will have to deal with the law. They will be watched and stores know now to look out for them. As for the stuff they already have stolen maybe they should give back or donate I don't know. I also sure the IRS will catch up with them sooner or later............... 

December 1, 2008, 7:46 am CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Quote From: wittykitty33

"Allen" and Laura have to be the most unintelligent couple I have seen on Dr.Phil. They smugly admitted on national T.V. their numerous theft crimes and even worse, these irresponsible parents took their three small children along with them to commit felonies!  It seemed that this unconcerned couple only started to "act" remorseful  when the realization that Dr.Phil and the general public didn't think they were as special as they thought themselves to be.  Laura and her husband are corrupt individuals unlawfully taking OUR hard earned money.   People like them cause stores to increase their prices 15%- 20% which means we pay even more when the tax is added on top of that!

They CHOSE this "profession" so they wouldn't have to labor like the rest of us hardworking Americans. Remember, they didn't recently pick up this "bad habit". This crooked couple stated that "They've amassed nearly $1 million in stolen goods over the past seven years."
.................................................................................................................................................................................................
You have a lot of stolen property right now, right?

Our whole house, pretty much, Laura says.

You made a multi-state run, so youre transporting stolen goods across state lines to the tune of thousands. Im no lawyer or a cop, but isnt that a federal crime? Dr. Phil asks.

Yeah, it is, Laura says.

................................................................................................................................................................................................
"I didn't really see myself as a klepto" Allen says.
"Are you just lazy?" Dr.Phil asks.
"Probably" he replies.
...................................................................................................................................................................................
They CHOSE not to find an authentic, ethical, bonafide job. This arrogant and lazy couple CHOSE "Easy Money" because finding a legit form of employment was too inconvenient for them. Well, here's an "Inconvenient Truth" for them. The Economy didn't take a nose dive until recently, therefore,  he could have held a legit 9-5 job like many other honest Americans, even if it was flipping burgers or a job at Wal-Mart. This lazy man saw a way to get something for nothing. He made a dishonest living for himself and his family. Their fraudulent lifestyle is coming to an end and shortly they will be paying the consequences. An even greater "Inconvenient Truth" is that their three innocent children will pay the greatest price of all!
Way to go Laura and "Allen"!

I don't know why this surprises anyone??? We elected a Pres. that said he was going to take from those who worked for it and give to those 40% that do nothing for it.

Whats the difference these people took from who they thought could afford it and gave to themselfs for they didn't have to earn for what they wanted, The Obama plan.

This Country was forcing leanders to give homes to people who could not afford them under the Good Housing act put though by Pres. Clinton and supported by Obama. 

January 18, 2009, 10:26 pm CST

I agree with you! [kim] HOPE FOR ALL

Dear Kimberly,

Isn't that just a peach that someone can afford the high price of a cell phone but can't afford (or refuses to pay) for car insurance? That's pretty disgusting in itself! Too protect my husband and myself from this very same thing we keep "uninsured" insurance coverage on our policy to protect us. As you said, it's getting pretty hard to trust anyone anymore. I hope you have this type of coverage now also, it's not very expensive at all. I mean I hope you are never in another accident again of course but just in case it would be nice of you had something to fall back on. I have health issues also and have had several surgery's, the last one was huge and I was in ICU in critical condition for 4 days. So I know all about those huge medical bills even after our insurance pays there part. All of the tests add up, the blood work, MRI's, etc.. Health problems can drain the finances pretty quickly. I wish you the best of luck in your future treatments and hope that all goes well.

Hi,this is HOPE [KIMBERLY] and I thankyou for your surport and sharing with me with your struggles as well. Yes it is discusting that they can afford a exspensive cell and computers and dont have the most important things they should by law have. I would love to go and find this guy but I would probley get myself in trouble. Anyway we have reached out to our community and asked for help with a heavy heart because some are wondering where there going to sleep or where there next meal is coming from so its very hard.

We have done so much to raise this money but were having no luck and it worry's me and We have waited a longtime to have some luck and now I feel were cheated again because of  our economy it really stinks.

I wanted to say Im sorry it took a longtime to get back to you I haven't been doing well at all.My burning and bone pain is awfull.I wish I never made it then live like this and traumatise my daughter and make my husband so tired.Our family is just the 3 of us and we were doing well until the accident.

It really angers me to have my life altered in such a way as ours has been and it really isnt fair.I hope your feeling better and again Thankyou so much for your thoughts and caring!

I wish to go on dr phil show to get awareness out but its quit tuff to do! How does anyone do that? I would really be happy to get his help! I love the show its my fav and never missed one! take care!

LOVE,

HOPE FOR ALL 2001

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last