Message Boards

Topic : 11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:17:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
As the nation suffers through an economic meltdown, many Americans resort to drastic measures to keep their families afloat. Just how far would you go to stay in the black? Laura and her husband, Allen, say they’ve made nearly $1 million in the last six years. There’s just one problem –- they don’t have jobs! Self-proclaimed professional shoplifters, the couple says they travel across state lines to steal TVs, toys, electronics and more –- and they often take their three young children along on their heists. They videotape themselves to show Dr. Phil how they get away with nabbing big-ticket items. Do Laura and Allen just get a thrill from thievery, or are they kleptomaniacs? Can the couple quit for good before they get arrested and lose their children? Then, Tami and Chris have a beautiful house, three cars and two children. But Tami says her husband is shattering their idyllic home life with his shoplifting addiction. She says he’s been arrested four times and was recently sentenced to 90 days in state prison. Chris joins Dr. Phil via satellite from jail to tell his side of the story. Find out why he says he can’t stop stealing, but when he hears his 4-year-old daughter's emotional plea, will he change his mind? And, Tami’s mom, Marilyn, calls Chris a pathological liar and says her daughter needs to kick him to the curb. Is Chris beyond redemption? Will he be able to clean up his act? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 21, 2008, 7:18 am CST

seriously??!!

Quote From: ffffffffffff

Dr. Phil:

Yes, this economy SUCKS!!!

Yes, I am SICK AND TIRED of being "house poor", just able to stay afloat!  I WILL NOT TOLERATER this type of living!!!

When my money isn't enough I gotta make it count for two, three, sometimes four times the value of what it's worth!!!

I've stolen bicycles (from the Big name stores, of course, NEVER individual persons!)

I've stolen my prescription medications when my electric bill was too high and I had no choic e...

I panhandle like a creep, netting five hundred dollars every month average.

Yes, I'm "living wealthy in the ghetto!"  'Cause the Ghetto is still in my blood!

There's nopthing to do in this town so I LOVE to spray paint and break windows.

I'm maing the best of my life.  There's nothing else to do in this godforsaken city IT SUCKS!!!  And so does this living...

r u serious? u r NOT making the best of ur life maybe get an education so u can at least spell properly when u tag others hard earned property!!!!! and if u think stealing from the big box stores doesnt affect individual people, guess what it does cuz the prices go up to make up for the loss of stolen goods so thanks for nuthin'

November 21, 2008, 8:01 am CST

for G-ds sake!

Quote From: efffy_

I would definitely steal if I needed shelter, or to keep from starving. Survival is every humans right.
these people were not doing this to survive or to have shelter, they do it cuz they r lazy and feel entitled and NO its not every humans rite to steal to survive its a humans rite to be a contributing resident of this planet play by the rules or get off!!!1

November 21, 2008, 9:05 am CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Quote From: shmoopy

these people were not doing this to survive or to have shelter, they do it cuz they r lazy and feel entitled and NO its not every humans rite to steal to survive its a humans rite to be a contributing resident of this planet play by the rules or get off!!!1
Tell that to starving children in Africa. I"m sure they would appreciate your compassion.

November 21, 2008, 9:10 am CST

Don't feel guilty taking from Corporate stores

How do these people know who owns the store?  I own an upscale gift shop that is a franchise.  I pay for everything in my store - the large company with the sign out front of my store doesn't have a penny invested in my store.  When people steal from my store they are stealing from me.  They are stealing from my children, my family, my staff and my customers.  YOU SHOULD FEEL GUILTY AND YOU SHOULD PAY THE CONSEQUENCES.

November 21, 2008, 9:22 am CST

Don't feel guilty...

How do these people know who owns the stores they are shoplifting from.  They don't feel guilty because they are corportate stores not mom & pop shops.  I own an upscale gift store with a very prominent, very known corporate name outside my store.  I pay a fee to have that name on my door, but I own everything in the store.  The corporate brand owns nothing in my store.  You are stealing from me, my children, my family, my customers and my bank.  You are stealing from me and my credit rating, reputation and borrowing power are all at stake.  STOP STEALING FROM ME!

November 21, 2008, 1:08 pm CST

Extreme gall and arrogance

I have not read many of the comments already posted, so I don't know if anything I say has already been said.  First of all, if these people (Allen and Laura) are not now incarcerated, our justice system is more lame than I thought.  They do not deserve the precious children God as given them.  (Hopefullly a family member takes all three of them and gives them a loving home.)  I doubt that eBay tolerates the sale of stolen merchandise.  Their account there should be frozen and funds held.  Their home should be raided, and everything confiscated.  They should be imprisoned, one in North or South Dakota and the other in Arizona until they work off their debt to those from whom they stole, have paid all the taxes they owe the government, have paid the fines for all the laws they have broken, and made a public apology to all the law abiding citizens who ultimately have paid for their "game".  They obviously have lists of addresses for their "jobs", so they could start by returning to the locations of these "jobs" and clean restrooms from the time they get up in the morning until they go to bed at night.  They have played long enough!!

As for Chris, who had shoplifted thousands of times, been arrested five times and was trafficking in drugs, 90 days in jail does not seem enough.  If he has a treatable illness, he should have sought help long ago!!   

November 21, 2008, 2:58 pm CST

LOCK THEM UP!!!

"Allen" and Laura have to be the most unintelligent couple I have seen on Dr.Phil. They smugly admitted on national T.V. their numerous theft crimes and even worse, these irresponsible parents took their three small children along with them to commit felonies!  It seemed that this unconcerned couple only started to "act" remorseful  when the realization that Dr.Phil and the general public didn't think they were as special as they thought themselves to be.  Laura and her husband are corrupt individuals unlawfully taking OUR hard earned money.   People like them cause stores to increase their prices 15%- 20% which means we pay even more when the tax is added on top of that!

They CHOSE this "profession" so they wouldn't have to labor like the rest of us hardworking Americans. Remember, they didn't recently pick up this "bad habit". This crooked couple stated that "They've amassed nearly $1 million in stolen goods over the past seven years."
.................................................................................................................................................................................................
“You have a lot of stolen property right now, right?”

“Our whole house, pretty much,” Laura says.

“You made a multi-state run, so you’re transporting stolen goods across state lines to the tune of thousands. I’m no lawyer or a cop, but isn’t that a federal crime?” Dr. Phil asks.

“Yeah, it is,” Laura says.

................................................................................................................................................................................................
"I didn't really see myself as a klepto" Allen says.
"Are you just lazy?" Dr.Phil asks.
"Probably" he replies.
...................................................................................................................................................................................
They CHOSE not to find an authentic, ethical, bonafide job. This arrogant and lazy couple CHOSE "Easy Money" because finding a legit form of employment was too inconvenient for them. Well, here's an "Inconvenient Truth" for them. The Economy didn't take a nose dive until recently, therefore,  he could have held a legit 9-5 job like many other honest Americans, even if it was flipping burgers or a job at Wal-Mart. This lazy man saw a way to get something for nothing. He made a dishonest living for himself and his family. Their fraudulent lifestyle is coming to an end and shortly they will be paying the consequences. An even greater "Inconvenient Truth" is that their three innocent children will pay the greatest price of all!
Way to go Laura and "Allen"!

November 21, 2008, 3:00 pm CST

Comparison table

Does anyone have or recall the table Dr. Phil had comparing shoplifters with kleptomaniacs?  I'd really appreciate the info.  Thanks!

November 21, 2008, 3:39 pm CST

Kleptomania Vs.Professional Shoplifting

Quote From: mama43081

Does anyone have or recall the table Dr. Phil had comparing shoplifters with kleptomaniacs?  I'd really appreciate the info.  Thanks!
Kleptomaniacs-People with the disorder kleptomania are compelled to steal things, generally things of little or no value. Kleptomaniacs are not necessarily contemplating the value of the items they steal or even the theft until they are compelled. They act alone.

Shoplifters and thieves generally steal for monetary value or associated gains and usually display intent or premeditation. Usually work in pairs or groups. Google Kleptomania vs. professional shoplifters and you will find a plethora of information.

November 21, 2008, 6:49 pm CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

I can not believe that there are so many people out there that think that they will not get caught. I happen to work in a store , where my job is to observe and detain shoplifters on a daily basis.. and nothing makes me angrier than people who use thier children. They are the role models for these children and this is what they chose to teach them or they chose to use thier children. I just hope that people realize that they will be caught sooner or later. I hear so many excuses and i chose to not listen to any of them. 99% of the time you are going to jail. we do not tolerate shoplifters, there is no reason to be stealing, ever.

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last