Message Boards

Topic : 11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:17:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
As the nation suffers through an economic meltdown, many Americans resort to drastic measures to keep their families afloat. Just how far would you go to stay in the black? Laura and her husband, Allen, say they’ve made nearly $1 million in the last six years. There’s just one problem –- they don’t have jobs! Self-proclaimed professional shoplifters, the couple says they travel across state lines to steal TVs, toys, electronics and more –- and they often take their three young children along on their heists. They videotape themselves to show Dr. Phil how they get away with nabbing big-ticket items. Do Laura and Allen just get a thrill from thievery, or are they kleptomaniacs? Can the couple quit for good before they get arrested and lose their children? Then, Tami and Chris have a beautiful house, three cars and two children. But Tami says her husband is shattering their idyllic home life with his shoplifting addiction. She says he’s been arrested four times and was recently sentenced to 90 days in state prison. Chris joins Dr. Phil via satellite from jail to tell his side of the story. Find out why he says he can’t stop stealing, but when he hears his 4-year-old daughter's emotional plea, will he change his mind? And, Tami’s mom, Marilyn, calls Chris a pathological liar and says her daughter needs to kick him to the curb. Is Chris beyond redemption? Will he be able to clean up his act? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 20, 2008, 8:34 am CST

It never fails.....................

Quote From: genesis1

....not the "race" card again.

You have to be kidding me. And, wha???? You don't blame them for doing what they had to do???? I'll say it again to all those who are completely clueless about the reality of this show---THEY DIDN"T DO IT TO SURVIVE!!!! Who needs a plasma tv to survive, or to make $100,000 a year? The guy QUIT his job to steal.
And I can "judge," I've been homeless and hungry before.
The race card must be brought into every single topic there is. What made this worse was the fact that this person felt it was OK for them to steal! You came back with a great response, kudos to you!

November 20, 2008, 10:41 am CST

My shoplifting experiences

I learned my lesson at a very young age. It was 26 years ago that I was caught red handed from stealing a bunch of miniature toys from a department store with a bunch of friends of mine. I was just a young kid and got very scared at the time. The adult gave us the choice of either calling our parents or letting us break the awful news to them ourselved. When I was caught with this, I was crying my eyes out. My parents were very strict people and this was one of the worst incidents of my life. Since I was a child, I have been relatively crime free. I have purchased most of the stuff that I own. The last thing that I stole was a pair of Montreal Canadiens winter gloves from a merchandise store at our town's largest shopping mall. These gloves have been very useful since it is now very cold outside where I live. However, that is just an abberation and I consider myself lucky that I got away with one. I am proud of the way that I have a job that I've held for five years, unlike Laura and Allen on the show. I have to watch what I spend or else my savings will dwindle and I might become more desperate. Let's hope it never comes down to that.

Recently, I've been a victim of theft. At my job, the pants that we require to wear have no pockets. Therefore, I have previously left my wallet with my stuff in the staffroom. Unfortunately, somebody took $20 from my wallet. I got very upset over this. The person who I believed stole the money was a young girl named Jessica. However, no disciplinary action was taken against her because nobody had any hard evidence that she did it. About two months later, a fellow employee caught Jessica stealing a multitude of cans of French Vanilla. As a result, she was fired instantly. That only verifies that Jessica stole the money from my wallet that day. I am sure glad that she is now gone. I hope that she has learned her lesson. Even though Jessica has been long gone for a while now, I still keep my wallet in the staff office for precautionary measures. It didn't feel good, being a victim of theft. Now, I know how the other side feels when they lose out.

From what I saw on the show, I don't know how Laura and Allen will ever stop stealing. They are so accustomed to it. At first, I felt sorry for them. After I saw that pile of merchendise they collected, my sympathy turned to anger. Laura and Allen are confident that they could steal the dough out of Fort Knox if they wanted to. It's bad enough to steal every once in a while like I do, but to have done it the way Laura and Allen have is downright dispicable. I hope for their sake as well as for the good of society, that Laura and Allen quit their foolish antics for good. However, I am quite cynical about this and think that Laura and Allen will continue to steal and be inevitably punished for it. That is just my prediction. I'm sorry if I seem so harsh.

Well, I have gone on long enough. This officially concludes my shoplifting rant. I'd like to watch tomorrow's Dr. Phil show but I'm going to the hockey game tonight. Please don't worry. I have somebody taping it for me. Bye for now.

Yours Truly,

Fred, from Kingston, ON Canada

November 20, 2008, 10:43 am CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Quote From: jewelsf

I definitely felt the 2nd couple was an entirely different situation. He even said that he could afford to purchase the items he stole, I feel he has  a "compulsion" problem also. It's sad that he's sitting in jail and the other couple is roaming free. I hope that they get what is coming to them when they get home. I liked it when the IRS was brought up, that can't get away from that! The 1st couple may live a nice life with all of their stolen belongings but they are still nothing but "white trash". When I think about the ungodly hours that my husband has put in year after year, and still does, approx. 100 hours per week and more, it just made me sick to watch that couple, especially when the man was so smug about it. Oh yes, live the high life on stolen property while the rest of us kill ourselves working and paying higher prices for the same items, when we can afford them. Ugh!

Fully agree with your words, Jewels! If I happen to be a FBI agent or some sort, those two would have immediately been picked up & be hauled off to jail after the show. I assume that the people in their hometown have already reported them to the police, hopefully. It's people like them that makes us hard working americans have to suffer for their selfishness. Now we all know why we have higher prices on items on smaller things than we used to.

The only person who has my sympathy is the man who's in jail, though. Hopefully he'll get all the help that he needs & to be able to go home to his wife & his daughter. I too feel that he has a compulsion problem, & he seems very remorseful for what he did.

November 20, 2008, 10:49 am CST

I would

Have had more respect for the first couple if they were prostitutes.

But in the end it is clear that there is more to the story.

I am guessing drugs.

Either that or they have a special 'hammer game' where one hits the other over the head for awhile, and then the other takes a turn... because I have seen empty bean cans with more BRAIN CELLS!!!!

I think that they should just turn their kids over, and turn themselves in.

November 20, 2008, 11:35 am CST

fausly accused

I am an African American woman, and I live here in Columbus, OH, and every where I go there are several caucasion men and women watching me. All because of a man who I didn't want or like wanted me 8 eight years ago lied on me claiming I was trouble, then said I had stolen something from a store, from there it has been madness. Authorities everywhere, follow me. Trust me, I live a boring lifestyle.

What gets me, this has become a dominoe affect, because one person told another then another and the lie carried on. Some people realize it's a lie, but others insist on harassing me like a fool. By the way, I don't know any of these people following me, making rude remarks. People are so gullable.

There is too much crime going on here in Columbus for authorities, people in this town to be following me everywhere I go like I'm a criminal. Then I watch this story, they are on TV, and the one man 32 years only in jail 5 times. And they're are not being treated like me! This makes me mad.

November 20, 2008, 11:59 am CST

I don't know if you've noticed............

Quote From: carame

I am an African American woman, and I live here in Columbus, OH, and every where I go there are several caucasion men and women watching me. All because of a man who I didn't want or like wanted me 8 eight years ago lied on me claiming I was trouble, then said I had stolen something from a store, from there it has been madness. Authorities everywhere, follow me. Trust me, I live a boring lifestyle.

What gets me, this has become a dominoe affect, because one person told another then another and the lie carried on. Some people realize it's a lie, but others insist on harassing me like a fool. By the way, I don't know any of these people following me, making rude remarks. People are so gullable.

There is too much crime going on here in Columbus for authorities, people in this town to be following me everywhere I go like I'm a criminal. Then I watch this story, they are on TV, and the one man 32 years only in jail 5 times. And they're are not being treated like me! This makes me mad.

But this story has made all of us mad, people of every color. We are enraged by what this couple has done, mainly the first smug couple on the show. I happen to be white and to be perfectly honest with you, I have watched more white people steal from stores then any other race so far. I have no idea what the situation is that you are in, but I feel that theft is an equal opportunity employer.

November 20, 2008, 12:04 pm CST

Thanks a bunch!

How could you?!?As a single mother of 4, no wonder I can't afford to get my kids what they are asking for or if money allows I can find it at all since you are stealing it all and then reselling it on E-bay!  I work 2 jobs and pull full time mom AND dad duty for my kids and all you can think about is where you are going to hit your next store for more free cash! I can't believe you!  I'm suprised that the police were not there to arrest you right there on the show!   I agree with Dr. Phil about the father - I really don't think the kids were at the forefront of his mind when doing this.  you took your kids along!?!  And she said that they couldn't afford a babysitter - why not - you make $100K a year STEALING!!!! In your video you stole almost $16K in toys that one weekend alone! THATS MORE THAN I MAKE IN 6 MONTHS!!!     You should be so glad that I will not be on your jury when you are brought to trial, all they would have to show me was the tape from Dr Phil and I would have no problem raising my hand for guilty for either of you!   You say you are conserned about your kids, wait until they can form their own opinions about you when they learn the truth about WHY THEY WERE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU AND PLACED INTO FOSTER CARE FOR SO LONG while you both are serving your prison sentences!

November 20, 2008, 12:05 pm CST

Yes, he does show remorse!

Quote From: manofgoods

Fully agree with your words, Jewels! If I happen to be a FBI agent or some sort, those two would have immediately been picked up & be hauled off to jail after the show. I assume that the people in their hometown have already reported them to the police, hopefully. It's people like them that makes us hard working americans have to suffer for their selfishness. Now we all know why we have higher prices on items on smaller things than we used to.

The only person who has my sympathy is the man who's in jail, though. Hopefully he'll get all the help that he needs & to be able to go home to his wife & his daughter. I too feel that he has a compulsion problem, & he seems very remorseful for what he did.

I think it really hurt him to see his daughter crying like she was. I do hope for his families sake that he gets help and learns to stay straight. That first couple? The man (and again I use that term loosely) even admitted that the local stores have installed new and better anti-theft devices just because of him. He said it with a deep sense of pride. Obviously the law and the stores are already aware of "someone" ripping them off badly, so now that they have a name and a face hopefully they will be prosecuted. As I mentioned, the couple admitted to having stolen merchandise in their home. That alone is a crime! I hope they hang from the rafters!

November 20, 2008, 12:08 pm CST

The first couple you had on your show made me feel ill.  They acted like it was a joke.  I really hope they get what they deserve.  what angered me the most i think was they made all this money but could not afford a babysitter so the children could be home in a safe place instead of riding around all weekend while their parent stole.

I felt bad for Chris and his family.  I really think he has a problem and hopefully he can be helped.

I hope you follow up on both sets of guest so we can how it is going.

November 20, 2008, 1:04 pm CST

Quote From: wvjason

I am a single father raising my son by myself and also take care of my elderly father.  I am so worried that my family and I will fall through the huge crevases that we call America!  This country is one of the richest in the world but you couldn't prove it by me.  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  If people have to shoplift for the basic things they need there is a problem.  I never thought that it would come to this but you gotta do what you gotta do!  I do not condone stealing but I can understand why people are doing it.  I would rather see them taking from a store than and individual.
Have you no morals whatsoever?! Have you even watched the show? Since when is a plasma TV a basic thing? Since you obviously didn't  watch, let me clue you in on something. These damn shoplifters aren't taking from a store. They're taking from the employees. And, they're taking from you. These stores charge an extra 15% on their merchandise to cover losses incurred from theft. If it weren't for shoplifters, you'd be paying $17 for a pair of shoes. Instead of $20. So, the next time you need a pair, you can thank a shoplifter for that extra $3 of your hard-earned money those shoes will cost you.

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last