Message Boards

Topic : 11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:17:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
As the nation suffers through an economic meltdown, many Americans resort to drastic measures to keep their families afloat. Just how far would you go to stay in the black? Laura and her husband, Allen, say they’ve made nearly $1 million in the last six years. There’s just one problem –- they don’t have jobs! Self-proclaimed professional shoplifters, the couple says they travel across state lines to steal TVs, toys, electronics and more –- and they often take their three young children along on their heists. They videotape themselves to show Dr. Phil how they get away with nabbing big-ticket items. Do Laura and Allen just get a thrill from thievery, or are they kleptomaniacs? Can the couple quit for good before they get arrested and lose their children? Then, Tami and Chris have a beautiful house, three cars and two children. But Tami says her husband is shattering their idyllic home life with his shoplifting addiction. She says he’s been arrested four times and was recently sentenced to 90 days in state prison. Chris joins Dr. Phil via satellite from jail to tell his side of the story. Find out why he says he can’t stop stealing, but when he hears his 4-year-old daughter's emotional plea, will he change his mind? And, Tami’s mom, Marilyn, calls Chris a pathological liar and says her daughter needs to kick him to the curb. Is Chris beyond redemption? Will he be able to clean up his act? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 20, 2008, 6:11 am CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Quote From: khryss

I just caught the tail end of the show, but I completely understand what these guests are going through. I've been a compulsive thief for about 20 years. Last year I was caught stealing from my employer and I wil be sentenced next Tuesday to 1 year in jail. It's so awful. I know that most people don't agree but it truly is a sickness and I hate myself for it.
You sound remorseful and sorry.  I do believe for some it is a compulsion.  I do believe that some get a quick high from it and feel the need to do it again even when they know it is wrong.  The couple on the show didn't care if it was wrong and they really should pay for what they have done.  They made a LIVING from stealing and unlike you, they hadn't worked in years.  I also feel the father on the show should pay for his drug trafficking crimes, but he seems like he wants to make a change for his family.  I'm sorry to hear you struggle with this compulsion, but learn from it.  Good luck to you and thank you for sharing your story.  I'm sure it was difficult to do, but you honestly seem like you want to make a change.   Don't hate yourself, look at it as a life altering experience.  Maybe you can help others with the same problem.  Don't put yourself in the same category as that couple on the show.  They were laughing at their crimes.  You don't seem to think it is funny.  Stay strong! 

November 20, 2008, 6:38 am CST

how sad

Quote From: anne124

STEALING IS NOTTTT A HUMAN "RIGHTTTT"<<SMILING AT THIS.  YOUR 'HUMAN RIGHT' IS TO GO OUT AND SEARCH FOR A BOX TO SLEEP IN WHEN YOU'RE COLD, OR TO HUNT FOR AN ANIMAL TO EAT BECAUSE YOU'RE HUNGRY.  BY THE WAY, HOMELESS SHELTERS ALSO PROVIDE THAT.  "THOU SHALL NOT STEAL", ARE GOOD WORDS FROM GOD TO LIVE BY.  HE GAVE US THOSE COMMANDMENTS SO WE WOULD NOTTTT GET OURSELVES INTO TROUBLE.  IS IT YOUR HUMAN "RIGHT" TO GO OUT AND HOLD UP A CONVENIENCE STORE WITH A GUN TOO??  OR MAYBE YOU FEEL IT'S "YOUR RIGHT" TO BEAT AN OLD WOMAN TO GET HER PURSE WITH TWO DOLLARS IN IT???  AMERICAN'S NEED MORE SELFRESPECT FOR THEMSELVES, ANDDDD FOR OTHERS. 

I do not believe in god nor am I American, but as a North American I know we have no concept of real hardship. Let us ask some children in the third world that are starving how filing self respect is, would you like fries with that? I do not know how you extrapolated murder, guns, and knocking down of old ladies from my simple statement. I never go to violent places in my head. It is my human right to survive and to ensure the survival of my children.  You will find no one with more respect for life then I. Your box in the cold, and killing an animal to eat statement speaks volumes about your respect for life. It's very easy to be sanctimonious when you are warm, safe, and fed. I know what lines I would cross to survive and unprovoked violence against an innocent person is not something I have ever considered. You are correct that we need more respect because if we did there would be no homeless shelters, or stealing, or hunger.

November 20, 2008, 7:26 am CST

Um...did you watch the same show I did?

Quote From: wvjason

I am a single father raising my son by myself and also take care of my elderly father.  I am so worried that my family and I will fall through the huge crevases that we call America!  This country is one of the richest in the world but you couldn't prove it by me.  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  If people have to shoplift for the basic things they need there is a problem.  I never thought that it would come to this but you gotta do what you gotta do!  I do not condone stealing but I can understand why people are doing it.  I would rather see them taking from a store than and individual.
....because these people WEREN'T "doing what they gotta do."
They were stealing FOR PROFIT to a tune of over $100,000 a year. Who needs a PLASMA TV for "BASIC survival?" Basic survival means going out and getting a job--yes, even one that your pride thinks is beneath you---two, if you need to.

Sorry sir, but you are condoning it.

November 20, 2008, 7:36 am CST

*yawn*

Quote From: lashayy

Dr.Phil these people got away with this for so long because of their skin color an the way society looks an judges white people.If this had been a typical black family they would have already been suspect when they walk through those doors.I really don"t blame them for doing what they have to do to take care of there kids an household.I have six kids an trust me it has cross my mind a few times an I have done whatever has to be done to make sure we barely have the things we need. just to get by if that is stealing shoes because there shoes are tore up to having washing powder to wash clothes with I have done it to just get by;being without a job for 2 years an six kids yall just do't understand the drastic measures some familys have to take just to get by.So until u have walked a day in there shoes WHO ARE U TO JUDGE ANYBODY!!!!!!!
....not the "race" card again.

You have to be kidding me. And, wha???? You don't blame them for doing what they had to do???? I'll say it again to all those who are completely clueless about the reality of this show---THEY DIDN"T DO IT TO SURVIVE!!!! Who needs a plasma tv to survive, or to make $100,000 a year? The guy QUIT his job to steal.
And I can "judge," I've been homeless and hungry before.

November 20, 2008, 7:50 am CST

Quote From: kristy2288

Have you ever made a mistake? The answer is yes of course how would you like it if somone just threw you in jail because you made a mistake! No one is perfect!
Kristy, a mistake is a child putting a pack of gum in his pocket and not telling mom about it until they are out the door.  These creeps are organized criminals who plan their routes and their thefts, evading security deliberately and involving innocent babies in their crimes.  That is so far from a "mistake" that it is ludicrous.  The man says he is wanted in several states--I hope they pick him up, and the wife, too.  Those children deserve a moral, loving, upright home in which to live and learn.  Children really do learn what they live, and at this time, these poor babies don't have have a chance.  All in the name of "stuff" and taking the easy way out.  Their families must be so ashamed......

November 20, 2008, 7:54 am CST

Quote From: fwrinkledsoles

I don't see what the problem is with these people who are stealing because this is the nature of this country.  When Western Europeans left Europe they were thieves.  The rich had those people to steal other people land or they knew to get rich were to steal other stuff and things from up and down the Atlantic Ocean, east side and west side at gun point, which is robbery. kidnapping and burglary.  In India too, and every place the Western European went they stole, killed, lied, rape, and force Innocent people to work in the name of their God, who they calm to be the greatest God on God green earth.  Wake up!

On what I see about this show is these people are real American and not in dark about their behavior.  More power to them at least they admit it.  Well, if we go to work or get a job in the west it is all stolen money.  Wake up and learn some real truth about your history.

Wake up, middle to upper middle call white america.  Just think, if is wasn't for your forefather your sorry butts wouldn't be in the so-called good situation you think you are in as a so-called middle to upper middle dumb-americam.  Open your eyes and see the BEAST. 

I only want to respond to one part of what you said. The rest, as usual for you is said (in my opinion) for shock value and attention--nothing else.

You wrote:In India too, and every place the Western European went they stole, killed, lied, rape, and force Innocent people to work in the name of their God, who they calm to be the greatest God on God green earth.

Since you brought this up I want to take this opportunity to agree with you. These acts were heinous and unjust. But even more unjust was that these things were done claiming to be "in the name of God." However, they were not done in the name of the "GOD OF THE BIBLE." Not sure what god's name they were done in though. Because had anyone bothered to read and understand the God of the bible, they would have known that these things were DETESTABLE to Him. He NEVER condoned slavery (the kind of "slavery" that we know of today). He also wrote some things on a tablet called the Ten Commandments, that had anyone bothered to read them and attempt to understand them and why they were given as law none of these things would have been done.

You're not saying here that "HE" is to blame, but the implication is there, so I just wanted to straighten that out for you.

November 20, 2008, 8:10 am CST

I'm very disappointed

I watch all of the Dr. Phil shows and I think Dr. Phil should turn the couple in that have stolen wasn't it like a million dollars worth of merchandise that they either sell for money or use themselves and then take their children with them as decoys no less.  The concept of getting jobs apparently never entered their minds.  We all know Dr. Phil knows where this couple lives.  Very sad about where that would leave their children but you can't tell me they had no idea there would be consequences if they were caught.  I don't believe for a second they will stop unless someone puts a stop to it for them.

November 20, 2008, 8:18 am CST

You are so right!

Quote From: redhead_57

This couple was more like a modern day Bonnie and Clyde than a remorseful sick person that wants help for their problem. His giggling over their little sprees showed me that it was a big fat game to him. The more he gets away with the bigger the high. Dr. Phil's diagnosis of them being lazy, hit the nail on the head. I knew a husband and wife in my home town that used to take all seven of their kids out on stealing sprees for the mom and dad. Sadly the children took the rap when mommy and daddy got caught and mommy and daddy let them go down the river for them. They are despicable people and down right too lazy to get their own property like other people do. The people that I was just talking about didn't hold jobs either. They sat at the bar every evening at Happy Hour while their kids sat at home and had to try and scrounge up food. This couple on tv will eventually stoop to that level also as soon as their kids are old enough to take out with them. They show no morals now, so why the hell would they show any later. At least the second guy had a decent , law abiding wife that only wanted the best for her kids. She will leave I'm sure if things don't change and I give her credit to stick it out and see if Dr.Phil can help him first. I agree with Dr.Phil that his situation was entirely different than the other two crooks. At least he held a job and didn't do it to support the family. It was obviously a sickness and compulsion. The other two just sit back and go on their sprees so they can live like other folks. You didn't see the guy in jail laughing about his past.
I definitely felt the 2nd couple was an entirely different situation. He even said that he could afford to purchase the items he stole, I feel he has  a "compulsion" problem also. It's sad that he's sitting in jail and the other couple is roaming free. I hope that they get what is coming to them when they get home. I liked it when the IRS was brought up, that can't get away from that! The 1st couple may live a nice life with all of their stolen belongings but they are still nothing but "white trash". When I think about the ungodly hours that my husband has put in year after year, and still does, approx. 100 hours per week and more, it just made me sick to watch that couple, especially when the man was so smug about it. Oh yes, live the high life on stolen property while the rest of us kill ourselves working and paying higher prices for the same items, when we can afford them. Ugh!

November 20, 2008, 8:25 am CST

Good point!

Quote From: BrianX29

One thing about shoplifting is that if you shoplift and you get caught at it, then you need to find something else to do because your obviously not very good at it. I think if I was a professional shoplifer. The last place I would want to be is on the Dr. Phil show or on National Television to confess about it.
What will they do for a living now? I have to assume that the "law" where they live will be very interested in them upon their return. They are in fact in possesion of stolen property, that alone is a crime even if you are not the one who stole it. And what about the IRS?  May they get what they deserve!

November 20, 2008, 8:30 am CST

Ask my husband!

Quote From: efffy_

I do not believe in god nor am I American, but as a North American I know we have no concept of real hardship. Let us ask some children in the third world that are starving how filing self respect is, would you like fries with that? I do not know how you extrapolated murder, guns, and knocking down of old ladies from my simple statement. I never go to violent places in my head. It is my human right to survive and to ensure the survival of my children.  You will find no one with more respect for life then I. Your box in the cold, and killing an animal to eat statement speaks volumes about your respect for life. It's very easy to be sanctimonious when you are warm, safe, and fed. I know what lines I would cross to survive and unprovoked violence against an innocent person is not something I have ever considered. You are correct that we need more respect because if we did there would be no homeless shelters, or stealing, or hunger.
As an American man I bet he (my husband) can tell you that he is fully aware of what real hardship is. I have never once met another person who has put in the number of hours working that he has over the last 40 years. Plus, he was poor for awhile as a child and also knows what it's like to go to bed hungry. Maybe "you" have no concept, but don't assume that others don't.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last