Message Boards

Topic : 08/04 Daddy Drama

Number of Replies: 1404
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:00:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/29/08) Christina, 21, and her younger sister, Carlie, 13, say they had a close relationship with their father, Michael, until two years ago when he decided to transition to a female. Michael was a police officer, soldier and loving parent who lived his life as a male for 40 years. Now, he wants his daughters to call him Mom, because he says Dad is gone, but they refuse. Michael, who prefers to be called Kayla, says she wants to explain to her daughters why she's living as a woman, but they've never given her the chance. The last time Christina saw her father was two years ago when he showed up at her work in lace and blue jeans to break the news that he's transgendered. When she sees Kayla onstage, does she greet her with open arms? Next, Carlie joins her sister and father. She says she wants her old dad back, but will she feel the same after seeing Kayla? Can the father-daughter bond be turned into a mother-daughter one? Be prepared for an emotional journey as two daughters  struggle to understand how someone they say loved so much could hurt them so badly. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 29, 2008, 12:55 pm CDT

Sad

You know I grew up so close to my father. When I was 8 years old he came out of the closet. IT wasn't until 2004 I truly understood everything. The year he died. He lived his life 2 ways one to make himself happy and one to make everyone else happy. People are going to choose to live their lives happy and I really hope that these girls understand that no matter what he is their father. Yes I know what they are feeling hurt sad disgusted but all in all, that is their father and I hope they realize it before its too late. I remember telling my dad when i was old enough he if wanted to walk me down the isle then he had to be dressed like a man and act like a man. Unfortunately anything cruel i said I can not take back. I realize to this day anytime i needed something he was still there for me as my father. I hadn't seen him in 5 years and he came up on a business trip spent 2 weekends with me then not even 4 days after he returned home he was gone! I beat myself up everyday for not giving him the chance. I loved him so much and always will. I'm now 24 years old with his first granddaughter and hes not here to see her! It bothers me so much because she looks so much like me and i look so much like him. Those girls need to learn to forgive and forget before its too late!

April 29, 2008, 12:57 pm CDT

WHY DAD IS NOT AROUND

They call their father ugly names, they are ashamed and disgusted with him...no wonder he doesn't come around. I wouldn't want to visit people who treated me like a freak either. WHY SHOULD HE??????

where is the balance

Dr. Phil, I have a brother who transgendered last year and I did also mourn the loss of my sweet little brother who I sang to sleep at night and taught to recite his prayers in spanish.  He tried to live in his house with his children through the process but he was humiliated and abused by his children and his wife to the point he had to move out.  I understand that they are angry, just as the girls in your story today, but if there was love why does that have to change?  I question if there ever was love in their lives.  These girls have no compassion for the pain their parent is feeling, he has just turned off, he doesn't expect anything from them.  I don't see you showing any balance in this, the 21 year old is not a child, she should have some respect and understand that she doesn't have all the answers, there are other things in life we may never understand.

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: djkruse

Bottom line...if he felt that deeply that he was meant to be a woman, then he should never have had any children. And three, with three different wives. Who you kidding??  If that's not selfish, I don't know what is! He deserves to be left alone. It just truly breaks my heart what those kids have to go through!!

That was my thinking, throughout the show. Since he felt like a female trapped in a male body at least since he was 11-years-old, he never should've married, and had a child by his first wife. Let alone two more children by two more wives. Shouldn't that first failed marriage have told him something was amiss?

April 29, 2008, 12:58 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: wardjunefan

There are very few people who exist with the unisex problem and I can then and ONLY then have some compassion because its through no fault of their own.
PS- it is not "very few people" who exist with a unisex problem.  There are THOUSANDS of people who are transgendered, transexual, and people who you call "unisex" (born with both male and female parts).  Chances are that you know somebody that identify in one of these categories, however because we live in such a judgemental and gender-specific society, these people are often forced to hide their trueselves due to the discrimination they would experience otherwise. 

April 29, 2008, 12:58 pm CDT

Thank-You

Quote From: dyanbeme

Those spoilt two girls are forcing their dad to wear the labels they feel he should wear to please them. These girls needs to stop looking at the body and enjoy the essence of the spirit of their father....the body is only temporary. I would want my father to be happy, I would not give a S*** wheather he wanted to be a woman, neutered, or paint his body green. I would want my father to be what he wants...that makes him happy....not what I think he should want in order to make me happy. They are very closed minded, mean and selfish and Dr Phil you should be ashamed of yourself, why are you shaming this man without telling the girls they should be more accepting...YOU ARE DEFINITELY ONE SIDED IN THIS SHOW... I HAD TO TURN IT OFF.

If they were gay, and the father was not accepting them because they were not straight it would be a different story.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Dr. Phil  and those 2 selfish girls should be ashamed of themselves!

April 29, 2008, 12:59 pm CDT

daddy dearest

I've seen more emotion from rocks than from this "Kaylie" He dosen't want those girls to be a part of his life and that is very evident in his demenor.The girls  should grieve for the loss of their dad and devote themselves to their remaining family and those that love them.

April 29, 2008, 1:00 pm CDT

Oldest Daugher

These kids are really selfish, especially the oldest one.  She keeps making rude comments to her dad.  Of course this transition would be difficult for the entire family, but grow up already. At the age of 21, she should have a little insight and understanding. 

April 29, 2008, 1:01 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: pretyprincesss

maybe i would want tobe her or him go all the way  i often get called a princess by my friends they say i would make a prettyprincess and they wouldnt hesitate to date me or marry me i didnt think i was that cute or pretty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks leah waldron

For the sake of both parties this should have never been on the air.  I like the Dr Phil Show, but sometimes he over steps his ability to "fix" things.  This cannot be easy for the dad, yet, without thinking he (Dr Phil) is  really putting all the blame on the father.  None of us are in the position to know what pain this is causing both parties.  What part of confusing the daughters is the mother responsibile for.  All she seems to be concerned about is child support.  You can tell the daughters are not confused or angry on their own.  And no, I do not think you, Dr Phil, have accompolished any thing today on this show.  And listen to your voice, their is so much resentment toward the father, or do you not hear it.  Being on public television is  not solving anything, except more watchers for you.  There are some things that should be private.  If you really wanted to help this family, why didn't you do it in private.  Yes, he's putting himself first, do I agree with that, NO.  But, I haven't heard you tell the mom the negative part she's playing in the "great divide" between this man and his girls.  Being transgendered is not easy, I know someone that is and yes sometimes you have to make the choice to give up family and friends because they do not understand.  Imagine the hell this person goes thru each day knowing either way someone is going to be hurt, not just one time, but everyday.  Not only do people not understand, they don't try to look at the other person's life.  Are these girls to young to understand, the 12 yr old yes.  The older one is just plain hateful and I think her mom has a lot to do with it.  But, like I said in my beginning some family problems just don't belong on your show.

April 29, 2008, 1:01 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: turtleedie

I cannot imagine the anguish these children are going through. That "man" is a sorry excuse for a human being. He was born male, he should stay that way. GOD does not make mistakes. I cried the whole time I watched this show, my heart aches for these innocent children.
How dare you say that he is not a human. You do not wake up one morning and decide to be gay. You do not just 'experiment' without already have thought about it. When he was younger he knew that he was supposed to be a woman. Many people will agree. If 'god' did not make mistakes, then why are you here? Those children are innocent in this whole ordeal. But he did not just choose to feel what is in his head. And in his heart.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last