Message Boards

Topic : 08/04 Daddy Drama

Number of Replies: 1404
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:00:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/29/08) Christina, 21, and her younger sister, Carlie, 13, say they had a close relationship with their father, Michael, until two years ago when he decided to transition to a female. Michael was a police officer, soldier and loving parent who lived his life as a male for 40 years. Now, he wants his daughters to call him Mom, because he says Dad is gone, but they refuse. Michael, who prefers to be called Kayla, says she wants to explain to her daughters why she's living as a woman, but they've never given her the chance. The last time Christina saw her father was two years ago when he showed up at her work in lace and blue jeans to break the news that he's transgendered. When she sees Kayla onstage, does she greet her with open arms? Next, Carlie joins her sister and father. She says she wants her old dad back, but will she feel the same after seeing Kayla? Can the father-daughter bond be turned into a mother-daughter one? Be prepared for an emotional journey as two daughters  struggle to understand how someone they say loved so much could hurt them so badly. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 29, 2008, 12:15 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Quote From: cartilagecrown

What do you think (and other christians for that matter) of intersex people, you know, someone born with parts both reproductive systems, or other intersexed conditions, like one where a person will have some cells in the body have XX and others XY chromosomes. I mean, if god picks out what gender you are and you're not supposed to question it, what are the poor intersexed people supposed to do? Just pick a gender and hope they like it?

I think that if biology (not god becaue I don't believe in god) can mess up your gender physically, it can also mess up your gender psychologically.

I think that some people are born with the mindset of one sex, yet they are the other. It's just a mental version of when biology doesn't decide fully on your gender.

There are very few people who exist with the unisex problem and I can then and ONLY then have some compassion because its through no fault of their own.

April 29, 2008, 12:23 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

Hes actually rather pretty compared to most...I feel bad for the kids...but unfortunatly they are going to have to deal with it one way or another...hes not going back on his decision...I do, however, think it was a bad decision to show up to his daughters workplace in full drag...that was a little much...

April 29, 2008, 12:25 pm CDT

God believes in You

Quote From: cartilagecrown

What do you think (and other christians for that matter) of intersex people, you know, someone born with parts both reproductive systems, or other intersexed conditions, like one where a person will have some cells in the body have XX and others XY chromosomes. I mean, if god picks out what gender you are and you're not supposed to question it, what are the poor intersexed people supposed to do? Just pick a gender and hope they like it?

I think that if biology (not god becaue I don't believe in god) can mess up your gender physically, it can also mess up your gender psychologically.

I think that some people are born with the mindset of one sex, yet they are the other. It's just a mental version of when biology doesn't decide fully on your gender.

My husband is a scientiest and since you don't believe in God, why do you ask such a question.? You ask because you want to believe in a higher power, that's why and you also ask to try and condemn. It isn't just Christians who judge. Not all Christians walk the talk. GOD IS A GOD OF CLARITY, NOT A GOD OF CONFUSION. We are taught to be compassionate but we are also taught to love all people. We are also taught to dust off our feet and not get into conflict with unbelievers. I don't believe intersex people are any less loved than anyone else by God. We come into this world to learn about our soul and to help others. Nothing can seperate His love for us, even our gender or in not knowing our gender. In fact, if you believed in anything and wanted to know what God thinks, go staight to the BIBLE. It states that GOD has no favorites, but fortunately for us Christians, we claim and know a SAVIOUR who heals cancer, AIDS, torment, confusion, bi-polar disorder, physical deformities, and any other illness, discomfort or pain you can imagine, whether it be psychological or physical. HE STILL HEALS PEOPLE TODAY. WE know that some of us come into the world with heavier crosses and it is people who are mature in their faith that give love and help others carry them depending on where their comfort zone is. WE ALSO KNOW THAT OUR SPIRITUAL BLOODLINE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN OUR PHYSICAL BLOODLINE. Now that is good news! What are you doing to help others? I am a rape crisis advocate and wouldn't be if Jesus wasn't in the picture. Who are you helping?

April 29, 2008, 12:31 pm CDT

Dr. Phil - One Sided

I think Dr. Phil is looking at Kayla very one sided.  His mistake was getting married and having children, not coming out.  He seems like he's reaching out to them but his children are being very disrespectful.  It's obvious that they are mostly hurt because they find what he's doing repulsive.  It's a shame that he didn't raise them to be more open minded.  They are being selfish by not trying to understand what he must be going through.  I don't personally know anyone with his issue but I can only imagine what it must be like for him.  I do have children though and would hope that my children would be able to love me regardless especially if I were jumping through hoops like he is.

April 29, 2008, 12:38 pm CDT

04/29 Daddy Dramas

These daughters are being incredibly selfish.  Since when does that father/person have to give up who he is to satisfy his children?   They won't be children their whole lives but he WILL be who he is for the rest of his life.  We sacrifice for our children yes, but to have to sacrifice his gender identity just to keep them happy?  And what about when they grow up, would they expect that of their own children; would they want their children to live so unhappily?

He does have to pay his children support; regardless of his gender identity he is responsible for that.  But the man IS who he is and he is still the same person.  The daughter says she misses her dad, well then she just misses his gender because he is still there - he's the same person.  THey have NO right to tell him he has to be a man to be his parent.

April 29, 2008, 12:39 pm CDT

He is unbelievable!

Ugh the rolling eyes, the talking back to the daughters like he was a kid.  Geez, GROW UP.  These are your daughters.  It's obvious you have no empathy for anyone.  If you're so much happier, why is life so horrible now?

April 29, 2008, 12:39 pm CDT

There is something WRONG with this

I'm really sorry to have to say what I'm about to say, but this is the most disgusting thing I've EVER watched!! You can call me prejudice or what ever you want. You can even say that I DON'T UNDERSTAND???  One thing I do understand is that his children NEVER asked for this to happen!! I think these people who do this is mentally unbalanced!!   Like I said, you can say what ever you want about what my opinion is, I DON'T CARE>>> There's definitely something wrong with people like this!!!   Even if I felt that I had to change my sexual nature to feel comfortable inside with myself, I wouldn't do it because of the decision I made a long time ago to bring children into the world!!!  Does he even KNOW what he's doing to his children. MAN get some professional help would ya??? I can't believe what I'm watching!!!  WOW!!!!!  I don't blame his children AT ALL!!! I would be SO DISGUSTED and embarrassed to say he was my father?? I would say he was killed in the line of duty or in the service. I would make up something!!!  I can't believe ANYONE would put their children in this type of situation. I would go to my grave not changing my sexuality to prevent my children from going through this!!!!!! HE'S CHOOSING HIS OWN HAPPINESS OVER HIS CHILDREN!!!!  COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!   GET A GRIP!!!!!     WELL I guess I'm ready for all the comments that are going to come my way about me not understanding and me being prejudice and that I've never felt this way so how would I know!!!!!  GO AHEAD,   try giving it to me. But let me tell you, it isn't going to work!!!!  I've ALWAYS felt this way. That these people need some SERIOUS PROFESSIONAL HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there's definitely something WRONG!!!!!!!

April 29, 2008, 12:42 pm CDT

Teach the girls to quit judging...be more accepting

Those spoilt two girls are forcing their dad to wear the labels they feel he should wear to please them. These girls needs to stop looking at the body and enjoy the essence of the spirit of their father....the body is only temporary. I would want my father to be happy, I would not give a S*** wheather he wanted to be a woman, neutered, or paint his body green. I would want my father to be what he wants...that makes him happy....not what I think he should want in order to make me happy. They are very closed minded, mean and selfish and Dr Phil you should be ashamed of yourself, why are you shaming this man without telling the girls they should be more accepting...YOU ARE DEFINITELY ONE SIDED IN THIS SHOW... I HAD TO TURN IT OFF.

If they were gay, and the father was not accepting them because they were not straight it would be a different story.

April 29, 2008, 12:46 pm CDT

Daddy Dramas

The children, especially the eldest ,is being very selfish.Obviously, this is something he has been going through since early childhood. It is a difficult thing to believe you should have been one gender, and your body parts are of the opposite. Believe me, I understand what he is going through.

I do believe the father shouldnt have burned bridges. He is still their parent, be it man or woman, and it is obvious that he loves them. Thats all that should matter to all parties.

KP/ NC

April 29, 2008, 12:46 pm CDT

rude daughters

I cannot believe how rude and selfish these two girls are. The father wants to be in their lives and because she won't do it as a male, they want none of it! Disgusting!!! The father is even saying that he understands that it must be hard, but they could care less! AND when asked what she can do to prove she cares - all the say is CHILD SUPPORT!?!?! Give me a break - that is out of the mother's mouth!

Those girls need to wake up and stop being so hurtful!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last