Message Boards

Topic : 07/01 A Secret Inside: Extreme Hoarding

Number of Replies: 343
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 02:58:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/28/08) Imagine being forced to dwell in a space that is so cluttered with junk, food and trash, you can barely walk. Nancy and her boyfriend, Bob, live this nightmare every day. In their two homes, flies and plastic containers fill the kitchen, moldy food is stuffed in four refrigerators, and boxes and plastic bags litter the house. The two youngest children sleep on the same couch in the living room, because one's bedroom is cluttered, and the other child doesn't even have a bedroom! Nancy, a former nurse, admits to being an extreme hoarder, but how did she and Bob, a former corporate attorney, allow their lives to degenerate to this chaotic clutter? Their home is trashed, and they're in debt $100,000. Could other issues be contributing to the chaos in the house as well? Hear from the three children, 16, 11 and 9, who are trapped in this mess. Are Nancy and Bob finally ready to rescue their family from the rubble before the kids' lives are ruined forever? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 28, 2008, 1:40 pm CDT

04/28 A Secret Inside: Extreme Hoarding

how on earth can someone get so irresponsible. this woman has no one to blame but herself. self pity doesn't fix the problem or excuse it. she got hooked on prescription drugs - her fault - she should of gotten help. she cared for a woman and never got paid and is mad over it 5 years later???? come on. get over it. if it was a problem with money she should of left or demanded payment as she went. companionship and being nice are a great quality, but that doesn't mean you can blame the family who didn't pay you for your problems. now as far as Bob - problems with alcohol or not, he should of left a long time ago and reported this to authorities if you care about the kids.the older daughter sees this problem now, and she should report it. it doesn't mean she doesn't love her mother. but someone needs to step in and make the mother clean up her act. pets also in the house. you can't care for your own children - you sure don't need pets. give them to a shelter where families that can care for them can adopt them. for crying out loud, i'll come clean the house!!!! i sure hope Dr. Phil reads this on the air. PLEASE GIVE THIS WOMAN ENOUGH OF A WAKE UP CALL. she needs it. THE CHILDREN COME FIRST!!!!!!!! time to step up to the plate as a mother. same goes for the relationship she has with Bob. it is unhealthy for the children - get help with that or get out of it.

April 28, 2008, 1:41 pm CDT

Selfish mother

Quote From: cc_phoenix

In all of this, the mother is only thinking of herself - it's all about her, and what she feels and what people think of her. I hope Dr. Phil has a better place for the kids than this nightmare.
 I agree, she's selfish and self centered.  But few kids want to leave their homes and go live with strangers.  I bet CPS is now involved and given them a deadline to clean up the mess.  Those poor kids must be so scared of being taken away to live with strangers.  But maybe there is a relative they could live with until their parents get it together. 

April 28, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

Quote From: pwpwpw

those poor animals, being cooped up like that. where do these people live I am going to call the spca in their area
POOR ANIMALS, I WOULD SAY POOR KIDS!!!!!

April 28, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

Quote From: pwpwpw

those poor animals, being cooped up like that. where do these people live I am going to call the spca in their area
too late, dr phil already took care of all areas, and not a moment too late.

April 28, 2008, 2:00 pm CDT

HOARDING ANTIQUES & BRAND-NAMED CLOTHES

My sister has been a hoarder for many years.  However, the things that she accumulates and can't let go of have value (not jumk or food).  She doesn't cook, so doesn't use her kitchen other than the refrigerator for drinks.  The back porch consists of dry rotted wood loaded down with bags of "stuff".  The small house (2 Bdrm, 1 Bath) has a pathway through the kitchen & dining rm into the living rm to the couch, where she sleeps (you can't open the door to one bedroom because it is full waist-to-eye level with clothes, etc., and I know the other one can no longer be used but she hasn't let me over there in some time, so don't know how bad.  The bathroom door couldn't be closed because of stuff, and the closets are full.  The attic is packed.

She can't pass up sales and knows all the designer labels, so a great price warrants not one, but one of each color (whether it's her size or not).  She collects  original Coca Cola items, hand-made Quilts, Howdy Doody and all kinds of other '40's, 50's, & '60's memorabelia, material (she used to sew over 20 yrs ago), patterns, "old" pictures, and so many other Groups of items I don't even know.  

Her 2 daughters  and 3 sons were upset and brought in a dumpster to help clear out the house & help her reclaim her home about 5 yrs. ago. . . needless to say it's back the way it was or worse (after tons of stuff & enough items to completely sponsor a church Christmas craft fair). 

Signed - a very concerned but feeling very helples Sister

April 28, 2008, 2:08 pm CDT

NOT deserving....

This makes me sooooooooooo mad Oprah had a similiar show and did the same thing these people can go out spend money on crap and food they throw away are tooooooo lazy to clean up then you send someone in to clean up and GIVE them all new stuff  that is not right in this case yes the kids deserve it but the adults NOOOOOOO they are not deserving at all they need to get off their butts and start cleaning give the help and new cabinets etc to people that NEED it .........this is a catch 22 because I do feel the kids need it. I want all new stuff tooooooo sooooo I guess I need to be a pig for a few years and call a talk show instead of cleaning and painting and making the most of what I have.

April 28, 2008, 2:16 pm CDT

Quote From: cc_phoenix

In all of this, the mother is only thinking of herself - it's all about her, and what she feels and what people think of her. I hope Dr. Phil has a better place for the kids than this nightmare.

well from what Ive seen of Dr Phil hes only thinking about the children first and foremost always. Dr Phil will end that nightmare the children have been living that much is 100% fact, the doc is in the house.

April 28, 2008, 2:21 pm CDT

Quote From: sarabear

For me its kind of a war in my head. I do keep my house clean but every time I let something get a little dirty or even really dirty (like I let the dishes go or I have a small pile of stuff that needs to be put away) I constantly wrestle between worrying that I will end up just like my parents but by being oddly comfortable with the fact that its there. I am oddly at peace when I sleep in my bed if it hasn't been made for days and some of my clean clothes are on it, but I also feel as if I have conquered some weird battle when I get into my bed after I have made it, either way messy or clean I have a feeling of ambivalence. Its rather annoying.

thers a  big differance between clutter- messy- and just pure filth, what we saw this day on dr phil was PURE FILTH, not making ur bed is nothing to worry about keeping clean sheets however is. dishes being left till the next morning im very sure most people are guilty of i know i sure as hell am. and im guilty of not making my bed every day too, but after i watched todays show i got off my ass and made mine  lol.

April 28, 2008, 2:23 pm CDT

Quote From: getrealtime

POOR ANIMALS, I WOULD SAY POOR KIDS!!!!!
i sat and thought both poor children and poor animals.

April 28, 2008, 2:24 pm CDT

This woman is clearly completely unstable. I found her nearly impossible to watch and listen to. I cannot stand constant excuse-making, especially when it is so obvious that she needs serious help. Her children should be removed from the home asap.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last