Message Boards

Topic : 01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Number of Replies: 217
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, December 17, 2007, 10:08:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, listen up! It’s a new year, and the risky behavior of teens is ever-evolving into dangerous new trends propagated on the Internet. Is your teen involved in an activity that would shock you? First, Cody, Connor, Grayson and Garrett are teenage friends who film themselves doing daredevil stunts and then post them online for the public to view. The latest trend is called mattress surfing, where kids ride on top of a mattress being dragged behind a truck at top speed. The boys say they do it safely, but what do their parents think? The answer may shock you. When a family shares their tragic true story, will the boys see that mattress surfing isn’t just fun and games? Next, many people feel this practice is inhumane when it’s done to animals –- but now some teens are putting their health at risk to do it to each other. Then, Kaytee is a 15-year-old diabetic who says she’d rather risk dying than be fat. She engages in diabulimia, a deadly new practice of skipping insulin doses to lose weight. Wanda has been a diabulimic for 15 years and is lucky to be alive. Will these women stop their slow suicide? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 4, 2008, 11:00 am CST

Mattress Surfing

Frank  was a very good friend of my son. He was out with us the weekend before, on a haunted hayride. He was a very sweet boy. He had spent many weekends at our house. To this day my son still has a very hard time, that Frank is gone. They even traded belts the week that this happend, my son has Franks belt put up and wears a diffrent one. Frank died while he was wearing my sons belt.  My son even calls some of their friends Frank, cause he is having a hard time of letting go. Frank was a very special child to me. He even stayed over a month at my sons fathers house. That is how close they were.

When you stated that you would not strap your child to a truck on a mattress with no control. The parents had nothing to do with that. The kids are not going to tell their parents what they are going to do. And if the parents to ask, the kids are only going to tell the parents only what they want to hear. And when the parents are not home, you have no control on what your child may or may not be doing. All you can do is hope that they do what is right, while they are out of your site.

January 4, 2008, 11:12 am CST

01/03 Shocking Trends of the New Year

Quote From: lisaddot

I hope and pray that your daughter stays on the path that she is on now. I have two children with diabetes. The oldest when he was young was in and out of the hospital a lot. He is doing much better now, he does however have damage to his organs. He always followed his diet and schedule and had the best of the best doctors and dieticians.
My other child was a very active and energetic young lady and had her future mapped out. Once diagnosed she was fine with the whole diabetic thing. Once her body started going through changes during puberty she changed and her health went with it. She has lost half her weight and is a walking skeleton. She has seen different doctors, been poked and prodded, several test have been done and to no evail as of yet have we  been given a reason why all the weight loss.
Please keep an open mind that this could happen to your child. I pray it doesn't because it truly is a life of hell wondering if the breath they take is their last. I know because that is the world I'm living in, waiting for the medical world to do there job and make a educated decision but as we all know they are all human and yes as the saying goes...Their all just Practicing Physicians. Good Luck
Thank you for thoughts. I hope that I will have taught her enough and that she and I are close enough that she will come to me if she feels any stress from these issues. We live in a small town and most of the kids know her and know of her disease. I dont have blinders on, I KNOW its going to be a hard road for her. My point was that I just dont see how knowing what she already knows about the complications of uncontrolled sugars that she wouuld make that choice. If she did I would be her 24 hour shadow administering her insulin if she werent responsible enough to do so.I feel like it is MY responsibility to teach her nad if she doesnt/cant/wont learn then I must intervene.

January 4, 2008, 11:41 am CST

Quote From: twalsh341

Show me some statistics of mattress surfing fatalities and say crime/felony related fatalities, spend your time putting criminals that kill. in jail or graves. and teach kids to be safe (with helmets and pads) when they are mattress surfing.
 Helmets and pads only protect the head and knees. Not, the spine and other vulnerable parts of the body. Again, watch the show!!! There was a father who lost one of his sons to mattress surfing. Even one kid killed by mattress surfing is one too many to his family and friends. BTW, if I had the authority, I would be putting criminals in jail, packing 'em in like sardines. And, the longest stay on death row? A year.

January 4, 2008, 11:49 am CST

Quote From: tiffany_2007

After watching the show, yeah I don't see a big deal, and I do hope they don't do donuts. Why anyone thought that was smart. Would your boat do donuts if you were water skiing no why cause you would end up on or under that boat. I think alot of sports are harmful. My husband has a busted knee from football, my father has a busted ankle from football. 

and branding isn't new, tattoo places have been doing them for awhile. Branding isn't as pretty as a tattoo, but there really is no differnce, one just takes 5 minutes while the other can take HOURS of pain.

The last story was sad, and very scary. She skips insulten (sp) to lose weight. My father is on insultin and eats alot, and is thin. He is super active and he is always eating atleast 1 big salad a day, and I mean big the size of a mixing bowl big. The greens help him control the sugar levels better. His normal level is like 110 I think. He has it gotten down to 80 which has scared him. He eats sugar, but usually he has to sneak i cause me and my mother wouldn't toss his candys away as fast as we see them. But besides that he is pretty good at keeping it in control and taking his meds, and he is thin. Is it common to be fat when taking insulin?

I think it depends on how much, and what, you eat. Obesity, from over-eating, runs in Dr phil's family. It's even killed a few, including his father. That's why he's so passionate about it. His sister, Deanna, was really obese. And, needing huge quatities of insulin to keep her blood sugar under control. But, after joining his weight loss challenge, she lost weight and reduced her insulin intake. I think your father's activity level and healthy eating habits have a lot to do with his blood sugar levels staying under control.

January 4, 2008, 2:20 pm CST

shocking teen trends

Through the magic of dvr , I have just watched the show on dangerous teen trends and was both relieved and frightened to see the teenager Kaytee who skips her insulin to "stay skinny". I have worked in both the fields of Psychiatry and Nephrology and have seen this behavior nearly 20 years ago when I worked on an eating disorders unit and in the dialysis unit. I really want to tell this poor child that this behavior WILL kill you and it won't be pretty or quick. Ther isn't much that is sadder than seeing a 28 yr. old, blind, on dialysis 4 hrs. a time 3x's aweek,who is wheelchair bound because feet, toes, lower legs that have been amputated. IT IS NOT WORTH IT!!! Go and visit your local dialysis unit and see for yourself. I would also like to say that NO ONE who runs around with a sugar of 600 is thinking right. As for the mom, don't give up but this child needs inpatient care. Do some research and find an eating disorders unit that specialzes in diabetics. In the meantime, Mom you are exactly on track by strictly supervising her testing and insulin administration-keep it up. I sincerely hope this girl and  the lady Wanda get the help they need because this disease is devasting enough  when you monitor diet and sugar. Go to college, get your degree and join the research field and maybe this dreadful disease can be cured in your lifetime and you can have a family and all your fingers, toes, eyesight, kidneys AND a great life. Best wishes, there is SO MUCH more to life than "being skinny".

January 4, 2008, 9:55 pm CST

Mattress surfing

Quote From: asherw

In watching the segment on "mattress surfing" , I heard the young men, the parents and Dr. Phil all make the statement (paraphrased here), "at least they aren't doing drugs or committing crimes".   I find it terribly sad and somewhat disingenuous when people use statements like this to justfy questionable behavior choices.

The fact is, mattress surfing does hold a significant risk to the health of these young men.  To insinuate that "at least they aren't doing drugs or committing crimes" makes it sound like this is an either/or situation.  While it is laudable that the young men aren't involved in illegal activity... there are many other alternative positive activities they could choose to fill their time.  Community service, part-time employment, studying, etc., are just a few examples.

I would like to reply to you by saying that I am a mom of one of the mattress surfers on the show and I wanted to let you know that my son is a three sport athlete (which means he practices at least two hours a day, five days a week), goes to church every week, reads his Bible just about every day, works 12 hours a week at a gas station, has good grades, is the student body treasurer, was elected homecoming prince, does chores around the house, is a great brother to his three brothers, and during his free time instead of laying around and being lazy or like we said, doing anything illegal, he is constantly making some kind of invention such as putting a weed whacker motor on a bike to make a motorized bike to ride to school etc. He made a steam engine that really works, made a homemade air conditioner, has built numerous forts and go karts, found a hurt pigeon and built a cage for it and nursed it back to health, etc. His current project is making a gas powered remote control and he has welded to together himself. He tried mattress surfing with his friends, filmed it and put it on You Tube and ended up being on the show. As his parents we do not feel that his behavior is questionable and we are very proud of our son and we are not trying to justify anything.

Thank you,

Mattress surfer's Mom

January 4, 2008, 10:35 pm CST

Appalled at teen girl & what they'll do to stay skinny

I just watched the show on shocking New Year's trends and was particularly touched by the story on the young teenaged girl who was missing her insulin shots in order to keep her weight controlled. What's happened to young girls to make them think that life should be that simple?? I'm 27, and I've struggled with my weight too! Join the club. It was easier when I was young - now it's not so easy. Solution....I watch what I eat and I stay active....gee - that was complicated. Why does she get to cheat - why does a beautiful girl like that think that she has a right to kill herself when the rest of us have to WORK at staying healthy looking!! Tell her to get off the couch - take her shots and go for a workout to keep the weight off. Seems like a better solution that death. There are millions of girls that would kill to look like her. She doesn't have a clue and I hope she smartens up quick before she kills herself.

January 5, 2008, 2:04 am CST

Diabulimia = Diabolic and no help from Dr. Phil

The Diabetic 16 year-old who refuses to take her insulin BROKE MY HEART.  I've read a few posts where people are wondering where the Mother is, but I felt the Mother was doing everything in her power to help her daughter.  Taking her to therapy didn't help, outpatient rehab didn't help and the only other option left for her was to SELL HER HOUSE to pay the lofty $40k fee for inpatient help  (segue - doesn't Dr. Phil usually help with this kind of stuff?  Why didn't he offer any "resources" for these girls?).  I thought it was callous, the way Dr. Phil told the Mother to do "whatever it took" and there were "no guarantees" her daughter would get better.  What kind of cockamamie advice was THAT?!  So she is supposed to lose her house and everything else JUST IN CASE her daughter chooses to get better?  Was he NOT sitting on the same stage?  The daughter has ZERO hope, ZERO motivation to get better and ZERO effort would be made on her part no matter WHERE she goes.  She needs help emotionally and mentally before she's going to be able to tackle this one and if she can't help herself - her Mother has NO SHOT.

January 5, 2008, 5:40 am CST

Having had a bout of DKA not quite a year ago, I can't for the life of me understand how these ladies could deliberately cause the condition.  Yes, the weight loss is nice (I dropped from a size 12 to a 4/6), but it is definitely not worth the physical toll.  I had hyperkalemia and dehydration with mine and it completely wiped me out.  I never want to go through that again.  The only good thing to come out of it is the new insulin regimen they put me on.

January 5, 2008, 6:50 am CST

Great Kid

Quote From: graysmom

I would like to reply to you by saying that I am a mom of one of the mattress surfers on the show and I wanted to let you know that my son is a three sport athlete (which means he practices at least two hours a day, five days a week), goes to church every week, reads his Bible just about every day, works 12 hours a week at a gas station, has good grades, is the student body treasurer, was elected homecoming prince, does chores around the house, is a great brother to his three brothers, and during his free time instead of laying around and being lazy or like we said, doing anything illegal, he is constantly making some kind of invention such as putting a weed whacker motor on a bike to make a motorized bike to ride to school etc. He made a steam engine that really works, made a homemade air conditioner, has built numerous forts and go karts, found a hurt pigeon and built a cage for it and nursed it back to health, etc. His current project is making a gas powered remote control and he has welded to together himself. He tried mattress surfing with his friends, filmed it and put it on You Tube and ended up being on the show. As his parents we do not feel that his behavior is questionable and we are very proud of our son and we are not trying to justify anything.

Thank you,

Mattress surfer's Mom

Your son sounds like a great kid.  I can see that you are proud of his accomplishments.  It would be a real loss to your family and society to lose a precious person like your son for the sake of an adrenaline rush.

First | Prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next | Last