Message Boards

Topic : 12/12 Christmas Chaos

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 06, 2007, 03:13:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
'Tis the season to be jolly, but some households are filled with more coal than candy. First up, Jose thinks Christmas is too commercialized and hates Christmas trees, lights and holiday parties. His wife, Tammy, says he’s just a cheapskate, and says one year he gave her a stuffed animal that he found in the dumpster! Can Dr. Phil get Jose to change his “bah humbug” ways? Then, since Gary's mother died, he tries to bring his father, Albert, and siblings together, but says gossip and jealousy keep them apart. His sisters, Wrajean and Cheryl, complain that Albert idolizes Gary’s wife and treats her better than his own daughters. The last time the family got together for the holidays was in 2002. Can they gather ‘round the Christmas tree this year? And, for the fourth straight year, Dr. Phil and Robin host Christmas in Washington to help celebrate the true holiday spirit! See special performances by R&B superstar Ne-Yo, country crooner Alan Jackson, pop star Katherine McPhee and High School Musical’s Vanessa Hudgens'. Christmas in Washington airs Wednesday, December 12 at 10 p.m. EST/PST exclusively on TNT! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 12, 2007, 2:32 pm CST

omg just like my husband

That guy reminds me of my husband! It was our second anniversary 1month ago. Not having a lot of money i was able to save 160$. My husband told me he wouldnt be able to get me anything because he didnt save any money, ( knowing this trick) I gave him half of whatg i had saved! We went shopping together and I got his gift, and he came back to me after and said he couldnt find anything for me so he bought himself a video game. Now I am dreading Christmas morning,and what excuse he will come up with.

December 12, 2007, 2:34 pm CST

my dad died on Christmas eve

I understand not every family is the same but when my Father died on christmas eve last year, my life changed forever. We went a very long time not getting along when I was a teenager, but when I got older and had kids I was able to take care of him and comfort him when my Mom died. I want to take these girls and the dad and shake them and tell them all of this won't matter when he is gone. What matters is he is your dad. He needs his daughters. I would not change a thing as far as me and my dads relationship.

December 12, 2007, 2:35 pm CST

Why?

There is so much more of why we should not celebrate christmas and it mostly has to do with the Bible.  There is no mention of christmas, there is no celebration of christmas, and the Bible does not tell us when Jesus was actually born.  Add that to: greed, theivery, debt, depression, marketing, commercials, parents that can't tell their kids "no," and the number one reason why we 'supposedly' celebrate it in the first place: Jesus.  People argue about christmas trees (which the Bible talks against) and saying "Merry christmas," when they should be arguing about this being all about Jesus and how we get His name out there.  I don't celebrate christmas because of the Bible, not because of anything else.  If anything, everyday should be a celebration of Jesus' birth and, in my book, it is.  Forget about celebrating His birth, or even His death, once a year; let's celebrate Jesus everyday like we are supposed to and stop being greedy amongst ourselves.  It's bad enough that stores makes billions of dollars in just one month, why do we have to be a part of it?  May Jesus forgive you all for disrespecting the Son of God.

December 12, 2007, 2:43 pm CST

A Table of Demons??

Quote From: mekchk

I could not help but to comment on this subject, because I too agree with the guest today that Christmas is a pagan holiday. The date of Dec. 25 was chosen by the Church of Rome in the 4th century which is the date that was dedicated to the Sun god.   As regards the Christmas tree, in previous times evergreens were regarded as having magical powers.  If you research, as I did, the origin of other Christmas related traditions, such as lights, mistletoe, and gift-giving you will find that none of these were ever associated with Christianity.  And what about the fact that the date of Jesus' birth is nowhere in the scriptures?  Only the birth of Jesus was celebrated in the bible, and never is there any mention of continuing to celebrate his birthday. For those who say God doesn't care if these traditions are rooted in paganism, 2 Corinthians 6:14 states in part "what fellowship does righteousness  have with unrighteousness and light with darkness?"  And 1Cor. 10:21, " you cannot drink the cup of the Lord and of devils, you cannot be partakers of the Lord's table and the table of devils (or demons)."

So would God approve of the fact that we claim to observe the most holy birth of his son Jesus on the same day that was previously observed by pagan worshippers?  We can say Christmas is just fun, the lights and decorations are pretty, it's been observed for hundreds of years but as Matt. 15:6 says, in part" you make the commandment of God of no effect by your traditions."  I guess we each need to decide for ourself.

We can still give gifts at any time of the year to our friends and loved ones, just because we want to, not because the calendar says to.  So today's guest husband can delight his wife with a gift from the heart and say "just because I love you.

In your opinion celebrating Christmas is sitting at a table of demons?  What a killjoy you must be at the office Christmas party.

December 12, 2007, 2:43 pm CST

Dreading Christmas

I'm dreading Christmas again this year as I have the past four Christmases.  Why?  Because I am married into a family whose only interest in Christmas is how many presents they can get from everyone else in the family and the price of gifts. We're not talking kids here but adults in their 40s and 50s as well as a MIL who is 77.  These people are not hard done by either.  All I ever hear every year is that things have to change because the family is growing and it's getting too expensive to give to everyone.   Forget a $25 gift, that is not acceptable.  Forget just donating to charity, that is not going to happen, forget just giving to adults and buy for kids under 18...nope not going to happen.

I could write a book on the nonsense that comes about even three months before Christmas.  At one timeI used to call my mother in law the Gift Registry.

By the way I posted this in the forum under getting along with the in-laws. 

I have a 57 year old brother in law who is retired with a good pension who insists on expensive gifts for himself along with his 42 year old live in girlfriend of four months and her 13 year old son who doesn't even live with them.  I've only met the kid once.

I have suggested to my husband that "we" tell the rest of his family members that we will no longer partake in adult gift giving and only give to those under 18 or we cut the gifts to under $25 a person and he refuses to do it.  He's too much of a wimp.

Also everyone's birthday is celebrated and you don't spend less than $50 on a gift for each person's birthday.

So I've decided that after this Christmas my son and I will fly back to see my family for Christmas (2200 miles away) where the most important thing is that we get together and have a nice meal.  No one gets into the gift grab.

December 12, 2007, 2:46 pm CST

12/12 Christmas Chaos

The father who favorites his son's family is wrong. He is a fool. He doesn't appreciates his daughters.

I THINK HE IS STUPID FOR GIVING THE MOTHERS JEWELRY TO THE SONS WIFE. IF I WAS THE MOTHER I WOULD WANT MY GIRLS TO WARE MY RINGS.

I think he enjoys the drama how they all fighting for his attention, what else he got left in this life.

I would just forget about him let his son and his wife change his diapers, when he wont be able to take care of him self, the doughtier in law will not change his diapers she will ask his daughters to do it, but they have been driven away, so he will be left alone.That could happen he is bringing it upon him self.

December 12, 2007, 3:16 pm CST

I agree

Quote From: kristymcma

I understand not every family is the same but when my Father died on christmas eve last year, my life changed forever. We went a very long time not getting along when I was a teenager, but when I got older and had kids I was able to take care of him and comfort him when my Mom died. I want to take these girls and the dad and shake them and tell them all of this won't matter when he is gone. What matters is he is your dad. He needs his daughters. I would not change a thing as far as me and my dads relationship.
Reading your message was like reading something that I would have written myelf.  My dad and I fought all the time when I was a teenager.  When I went off to collage, we began to get along and circumstances of our lives helped us become the best of friends.  He was a wonderful man.  After only 2 years of having a best friend in my dad, we were told he had cancer.  However, we soon realized that the cancer was progressing more rapidly than even the doctors assumed it would.  He died within 2 years.  I am fortunate enough to have my mother here.  I too helped take care of my dad before he passed and watching this show pulled at my heart.  People need to realize that no one will live forever and we must cherish each moment we have with families.  We need to put a stop to the petty things and appreciate one another. Despite this, I also realize there are situations in which others make it near impossible to get along.  I hope these people will try harder to stop the fights.  By the way, I would not change anything about my father and I's relationship either. The tough tims that we went through only allowed for a strengthened frienship in the end.  And...I learned that I was just like him.

December 12, 2007, 3:16 pm CST

12/12 Christmas Chaos

Most fathers always stick with their sons and some checking out their wife's too. I think they living out their fantasies through the son. The son has his life achievements and the fatter is taking credit for it indirectly.

if that's the case that is sick...

December 12, 2007, 3:20 pm CST

What a shame for you....

Quote From: nikkilynn2130

My boyfriend is almost the same way. This year he bought himself his gift $250 and most of the kids in the family gifts but then freaked out on me b/c I wanted to get some groceries. We don't have enough money for food until next friday and I am sure like every other year I won't get a gift or even any words to make me smile on christmas.

My heart really goes out to you that you have to feel that way.  You deserve better!!!!  If no one told you they love you today - let me be the first.

Marlene

December 12, 2007, 3:33 pm CST

i understand

i understand this show!

its like how life is at my family's.

i hate going over to my mother side of the family. its totaly disfunctional.

this year my grandmother has decided to do a get together and get all the family who hasent seen eachother since my wedding 5 years ago to come together.

My One uncle is the black sheep of the family. He used to run this store and had the worst comericals on tv.

My one aunt (through marrage) is very two faced and will like you when she wants to like you otherwise you are on her bad side. Her oldest daugther repets this story EVERY Time we see her about how she got stung on the ass by some wasps. What she dosent know is i saw a posting online about what really happend, and her parents would have kicked her out of the hosue if they knew what she was really up to when she got stung on her ass by the wasps!

My other aunt, she hates the first uncle beocuse he apparently "stole the house" from my her.

My Grandmother let my uncle buy the family house from her at way less them market value.

My mom. well she is not at all with it anymore beocuse of a few strokes, and this year, well im in my seccond trimester and im pregnate with twins and sick off my but becouse of this.

Not to mention my grandmother and uncle decided without talking to any of the other family to change the date of the get together to christmas eve. My moms side of the family knows that we do christmas with my husbands family that day.

So ya, hormonal perego woman, with hyperemisis that gets worse with stress is havin to deal with all this crap on christmas.

Dont get me started on my MIL. Im just happy that my dad said that we could push christmas with him back till some time in january!
*sigh*

anyone with me on bocotting christmas?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last