Message Boards

Topic : News, Politics and Current Events

Number of Replies: 10264
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 05:18:57 pm
Author : pennylane_78
Please join us on the new News, Politics and Current Events message board: Click here

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2008, 9:28 am CST

News, Politics and Current Events

An interesting bit of trivia about the UHC situation in Canada.

Tommy Douglas was hugely instrumental in implementing UHC in Canada, Dougles btw is Kiefer Sutherlands grandfather.    LOL

<3

Fredi

February 6, 2008, 9:36 am CST

Quote From: fredastare

Hi Julie,

Great post.

Here's an interesting read if anyone's interested.

http://www.gladwell.com/2005/2005_08_29_a_hazard.html

How was the cruise?

<3

Fredi

Good. It would have been better without my sinus junk, but it was still fun. Returned home to both boys and the grandparents battling the flu! Hopefully, I will escape that one!

February 6, 2008, 9:37 am CST

Quote From: fredastare

An interesting bit of trivia about the UHC situation in Canada.

Tommy Douglas was hugely instrumental in implementing UHC in Canada, Dougles btw is Kiefer Sutherlands grandfather.    LOL

<3

Fredi

I knew that :) One more reason to love and admire Kiefer ;)

February 6, 2008, 9:50 am CST

Quote From: julie1418

Good. It would have been better without my sinus junk, but it was still fun. Returned home to both boys and the grandparents battling the flu! Hopefully, I will escape that one!

Man, sorry to read about all the illness.

I'm on my second go round with pneumonia......just beginning to feel human again.

Hope you miss the flu bug.....

LOL, I SHOULD have known that there's isn't anything that you don't already know about the Kief...

I've gotta take off for the time being,

Have a great day.

<3

Fredi

February 6, 2008, 1:01 pm CST

Quote From: loretta24

Let me say that I do believe that we have great health providers in the US, we have great medical schools and I am very fortunate to live in an area rich in talent and research.  But not everyone can get it.  I can, I have got great insurance but what about the guy down the road that doesn't, you can bet he does not get the same options as I do.

I am 30 and I have been getting them since I was 25.  All my doctor had to do was call over and say that I needed this done.  I was scheduled the next day.

I guess you see special approval as your doctor writing or calling over. 

Dont think our system is the best, heavens no can be worked on, but I would actually like to have a health care.

You most likely have been getting them since you were 25 because you have a family history of cancer at a young age.  As I do not have that family history my doctor needed to seek pre approval from the insurance company based upon "suspicion".  Not simply writing the order.  That is what has been done since I've turned 40, it's no big deal.  I can just about guarantee that if you had no family history the vast majority of insurance companies would not routinely approve a mammogram just because you wanted one at the age of 25.

Our system is in dire need of repair and change.  I don't have the answers but something needs to be done.  I don't necessarily believe that UHC is the way to go but what we have now is certainly not working.

But not everyone can get it.  I can, I have got great insurance but what about the guy down the road that doesn't, you can bet he does not get the same options as I do.

Where does personal responsibility come into play?  Dont really understand why people feel that it is the government (hence everyone that pays taxes) to get them out of their problems?

I have never understood why people say that everyone should have health care, wouldnt it be more appropriate to say that everyone should be given healthy food.  Does that mean that the government should provide healthy food to everyone at the cost of everyone else?  What about everyone should have a roof over their head, once again should the government provide housing for everyone?

People need to stop looking at the government to bail them out of problems, one example is the housing crisis.  Why do people feel this is the governments job?

Our system is in dire need of repair and change.  I don't have the answers but something needs to be done.  I don't necessarily believe that UHC is the way to go but what we have now is certainly not working.

I completely agree but socialized health care will not make health care better, all it will do is everyone will have the same crappy kind.

I am also surprised that people would actually want the government in their health care?  Is it because everything else they do is so wonderful and everything is prefect when they touch it? (add sarcasm here).

February 6, 2008, 1:10 pm CST

Quote From: baeiouy

your stat's are way off....I'd love to know where you got this stuff?

Sorry the stats arent off at all.  If you actually look you will find them too.  But you have to look at an unbiased source.

Heck this is just from Wikipedia.  Once again it is a great system as long as you dont get sick.

Canadians visiting the U.S. to receive health care

Some residents of Canada travel to the United States in frustration with the limitations of their own health care system, as illustrated by the following examples:

• According to a September 14, 2007, article from CTV News, Canadian Liberal MP Belinda Stronach went to the United States for breast cancer surgery in June 2007. Stronach's spokesperson Greg MacEachern was quoted in the article saying that the US was the best place to have this type of surgery done. Stronach paid for the surgery out of her own pocket.[37 Prior to this incident, Stronach had stated in an interview that she was against two-tiered health care.[38
  • When Robert Bouressa, the premier of Quebec, needed cancer treatment, he went to the US to get it.[39
  • In 2007, it was reported that Canada sent scores of pregnant women to the US to give birth.[40 In 2007 a woman from Calgary who was pregnant with quadruplets was sent to Great Falls, Montana to give birth. An article on this incident states, "There was no room at any other Canadian neonatal intensive care unit."[41
  • Champion figure skater Audrey Williams needed a hip replacement. Even though she waited two years and suffered in pain, she still did not get the surgery, because the waiting list was so long. So she went to the US and spent her own money to get the surgery.[42
  • A January 19, 2008, article in The Globe And Mail states, "More than 150 critically ill Canadians many with life-threatening cerebral hemorrhages have been rushed to the United States since the spring of 2006 because they could not obtain intensive-care beds here. Before patients with bleeding in or outside the brain have been whisked through U.S. operating-room doors, some have languished for as long as eight hours in Canadian emergency wards while health-care workers scrambled to locate care."

People from the US go to Canada for medical marijuana or prescription medication.  It is not really surprising that in the US medication is expensive, I mean you dont hear of other countries finding ways to battle diseases.

umm....our doc's actually are not *imported*.....good grief, that's just silly.

Okay imported was the wrong word, more like there are quite a bit that are there on employment visas.  The Health Organization is starting to give incentives for people born in Canada to practice medicine there instead of coming to the US, where you can say they will actually practice medicine.

This information is out there if one wishes to find it.  Socialized anything is not the way to go in any aspect of the word.  We already see that it doesnt last in the long run.

Not to mention that Universal Health Care would never work in the US.

Another familar face. Hi Bae!

February 6, 2008, 1:10 pm CST

Quote From: deluvie

Another familar face. Hi Bae!
I am going to see if I can find your email too. Haven't talked to you in a long long time!

February 6, 2008, 1:19 pm CST

Quote From: julie1418

Nice post. ER's cannot turn away patients, but as this is an unfunded federal mandate, it creates a huge burden on hospitals and health care providers. It is like putting a band-aid on a tumor and claiming to have cured the problem.

The health care crisis in our country extends far beyond emergency services. People nee preventative care that can prevent them from needing costly ER services to begin with. I was astounded when the school board I worked for renegotiated the health care plans to exclude routine care from its coverage. My annual gyno exams were not covered AT ALL. I was fortunate enough to be able to pay them myself, but I wondered about younger teachers, who may not be married. They would most likely skip the visits and hope for the best.  That is the scenario for many people WITH insurance....imagine how scary it is for the many working Americans without insurance.

The United States is the ONLY industrialized, wealthy country in the world without some sort of universal health care guarantee for its citizens. Ironically, we also spend the HIGHEST percentage of our gross national product on health care. How can we continue to pretend that we have a superior health care system? Some citizens may receive superior health care, but as a nation, we are hardly superior.

Love those unfunded mandates from the Feds, sounds like NCLB.  Great analogy with the band aid on a tumor.

That is unreal that a school board would provide a health care plan that excluded preventative gyn care considering that the majority of teachers are female.  Beside the fact that an annual pap is the best way to detect pre cancerous cells.  Reminds me of when I was employed in the corporate world and we were informed that all our contribution to our medical plan was going up significantly because of the cost of pregnancy.  They didn't have an answer for why they didn't cover birth control prescriptions though!

February 6, 2008, 1:31 pm CST

Quote From: loretta24

Love those unfunded mandates from the Feds, sounds like NCLB.  Great analogy with the band aid on a tumor.

That is unreal that a school board would provide a health care plan that excluded preventative gyn care considering that the majority of teachers are female.  Beside the fact that an annual pap is the best way to detect pre cancerous cells.  Reminds me of when I was employed in the corporate world and we were informed that all our contribution to our medical plan was going up significantly because of the cost of pregnancy.  They didn't have an answer for why they didn't cover birth control prescriptions though!

My husband had a job once in which annual pap was not included in the plan. He wasn't a teacher. From what I understand this is common practice among many insurance companies. Birth control wasn't covered either.  He worked for a very big company at the time. A company owned by Westinghouse.

February 6, 2008, 1:35 pm CST

Quote From: baeiouy

But not everyone can get it.  I can, I have got great insurance but what about the guy down the road that doesn't, you can bet he does not get the same options as I do.

Where does personal responsibility come into play?  Dont really understand why people feel that it is the government (hence everyone that pays taxes) to get them out of their problems?

I have never understood why people say that everyone should have health care, wouldnt it be more appropriate to say that everyone should be given healthy food.  Does that mean that the government should provide healthy food to everyone at the cost of everyone else?  What about everyone should have a roof over their head, once again should the government provide housing for everyone?

People need to stop looking at the government to bail them out of problems, one example is the housing crisis.  Why do people feel this is the governments job?

I completely agree but socialized health care will not make health care better, all it will do is everyone will have the same crappy kind.

I am also surprised that people would actually want the government in their health care?  Is it because everything else they do is so wonderful and everything is prefect when they touch it? (add sarcasm here).

I have never understood why people say that everyone should have health care, wouldnt it be more appropriate to say that everyone should be given healthy food

I sincerely hope that you never experience things like an unexpected job loss which may result in being uninsured.  If you have never had to pay for doctor bills you would not understand just how very expensive they can be.  You are fortunate that your family had insurance when faced with severe health problems, so those who are not so lucky should just die?  That is a pretty disgusting attitude if you ask me.  Not all employers provide insurance, maybe they should be required to.

Besides the fact that very basic preventative health care would probably save the government more than it costs to deal with things like cancer.

The Netherlands seems to have an interesting health care system which seems to be a combination of private and public.  I don't know much about it but plan to do more research and will share what I discover.

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next | Last