Message Boards

Topic : 04/07 Will Fights

Number of Replies: 250
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, November 08, 2007, 07:36:51 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/13/07) Has an inheritance that seemed at first like a stroke of good fortune become a dividing force in your family? Meet four sisters bitterly fighting over their aunt’s inheritance. Virginia's original will divided her estate four ways: Pat, Linda and Barbara would each receive $10,000 and Carol, the youngest, would get the remainder of the trust -- approximately $400,000. But the inheritance was split six ways to include Linda’s two kids after Aunt Virginia went to live with Linda. Barbara says she can’t imagine why her aunt would change the trust unless Linda manipulated her. Does Barbara have a case against her sister, or is she just being the family troublemaker? Their mother, Fran, drops a bombshell about the real reason the will was changed. Then, Sondra says she and her husband, Patrick, fight constantly since they blew his $100,000 inheritance in less than a year. After purchasing five new cars, a new TV and furniture, they can’t afford to pay for their daughter’s college tuition. How can this couple end the battle over the buck? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 7, 2008, 2:02 pm CDT

will fights

Dear Dr. Phil,

Out of all the e-mails your show is sent...I know I have sent 7 to you myself on a show topic...why do you have to show reruns?....a concerned viewer who has tried to get on your show.

thank you for your time, Sheila Pearce

April 7, 2008, 2:13 pm CDT

Will fight over will fights

At least  these people were even told about a will. My father passed away and wasn't even told there was even a will in existance. They cremated him within the next few days. I inherited about 1300 dollars and never complained. I  suppose maybe I should have? Not so sure.Three years before that my mother inherited 145,000 from my eldest brothers death and it was spent by another brother and his girlfriend with in a year. Then they kicked her out the house at 70 with 61.00 to her name.  My sister took the rest of what she had and spent the retainer for the lawyer.  I don't blame that woman for giving the inheritance to the dog! Maybe she knew how the family would react to the money ; as it does change some people.

April 7, 2008, 2:25 pm CDT

When we really know our siblings....

I am the 4th youngest of 13 children...I can not believe how we think  we know our siblings...I think we know them when a parent passes...I had siblings that thought they deserved more than others and yes they did get more. Not legallly but illegally ...I was hurt at the time but now as the years go by I feel if they think they deserved it so be it.. I will never wish any bad on them as I feel they will have to deal with what they did in the end. Money is not everything. But family should be!

April 7, 2008, 2:26 pm CDT

You Can't Take It With You

This show made me so angry... I am 31 and my grandparents who raised me Pasted away in 2006 and Feburary of 2008... I have expressed my feelings to my entire family that money NEVER will be an issue in my eyes... My view is if there is fighting after a loved one pasted away the memory of that person slowly goes with every hateful word or action as if they were never on this earth.... I watched when my Great grandmother pasted away family members taking boxes of her belongings out of the house before the funeral.... I guess being the age of 9 or 10 it really hit me sour... So I vowed then I would never be like that.... Today when I was watching the show I could not believe that you had to bring up if anyone missed the Aunt or would give all the money back for her to be here.... GREED is what I saw from them all even the quite one.... They all should have spoke up about the memories this woman brought to their lives....  That she brought love into their lives that will never be replaced by money..... These kind of people make me so angry.... All loved one deserve respect and what they showed was a extream lack of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOST ANGRY VIEWER

April

April 7, 2008, 2:29 pm CDT

No "High Road" for me ...

My name is Carol and i have a sister Barbara. Five years ago I got into a tift with Barb and my other sister, but I thought Barb and I had resolved it over the past three years.

Then, three months ago our father died, and the night of the funeral Barb told me she  thought my son (who suffers from mental illness), and I had caused my 85 year-old dad to "die earlier than he needed to."  He died of melanoma.

I replied, "That is outrageous," and left her house. Two weeks later, at age 62, I made a MySpace page called "Snake your Siblings." (Look for "caroldell.")

The short of it is that she and my brother are will administrators and my mother has dementia, although it hasn't been diagnosed.

Do I know what's coming? You betcha.

(And I did not make up the names. -- there was a "Carol" and a "Barbabra" on Dr. Phil today fighting over their aunt's will. Also, I lied about my age on MySpace; not for men -- for traffic.

April 7, 2008, 2:33 pm CDT

This really hit home!!!!

I lost my grandmother, grandfather and mother all in ONE year. I must say that this episode really cuts me like a knife. All I want and long for is to be close to my brothers again but I don't think it will ever happen. Christmas and Thanksgiving is the worst time of the year for me. I am a single mother of a 10 year old son who doesn't even have a relationship with his uncles. It has been years and the estates have not been settled. I figured that when things are settled we could be close but watching this show makes me realize that this is NOT going to happen. I am the only girl and I really miss my brothers. I have tried everything I could do and I realized that I had to "let go". I know that my grandparents wouldn't want this and I wish they were all still here:(

April 7, 2008, 2:37 pm CDT

04/07 Will Fights

Quote From: aprillove76

This show made me so angry... I am 31 and my grandparents who raised me Pasted away in 2006 and Feburary of 2008... I have expressed my feelings to my entire family that money NEVER will be an issue in my eyes... My view is if there is fighting after a loved one pasted away the memory of that person slowly goes with every hateful word or action as if they were never on this earth.... I watched when my Great grandmother pasted away family members taking boxes of her belongings out of the house before the funeral.... I guess being the age of 9 or 10 it really hit me sour... So I vowed then I would never be like that.... Today when I was watching the show I could not believe that you had to bring up if anyone missed the Aunt or would give all the money back for her to be here.... GREED is what I saw from them all even the quite one.... They all should have spoke up about the memories this woman brought to their lives....  That she brought love into their lives that will never be replaced by money..... These kind of people make me so angry.... All loved one deserve respect and what they showed was a extream lack of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOST ANGRY VIEWER

April

My view is if there is fighting after a loved one pasted away the memory of that person slowly goes with every hateful word or action as if they were never on this earth....

I totally agree with this statement!!!

April 7, 2008, 2:38 pm CDT

04/07 Will Fights

Quote From: justsacamper

I am the 4th youngest of 13 children...I can not believe how we think  we know our siblings...I think we know them when a parent passes...I had siblings that thought they deserved more than others and yes they did get more. Not legallly but illegally ...I was hurt at the time but now as the years go by I feel if they think they deserved it so be it.. I will never wish any bad on them as I feel they will have to deal with what they did in the end. Money is not everything. But family should be!

It is good to know that in spite of them being unfair, you maintained a good relationship.

April 7, 2008, 2:40 pm CDT

It doesn't have to be like that, girls!

After seeing the 4 sisters fueding over inheritance today..........I am sure Aunt Virginia wishes she had spent it herself!  I wish she had too.

My sister recently showed me total LOVE after the death of our mother., and I am so blessed to have her as family.

In the 1970s my parents made wills and the conclusion is that their 2 daughters would share & share alike.  Over the years my Dad died and my mother got excessively nasty and suffered greatly from dementia.  My sister stood by Mom at her worst and kept visiting when my Mother was insulting and ornery.

I did not......I knew that Mom had good care and stayed away to avoid upsetting her & me.

At the time of my mother's death, our lawyer informed me that Mom had left everything to my sister.

I was very hurt and upset with my mother for doing that and I still am. The lawyer assured me that we could get it fixed up in Court because of her dementia.   But my sis made it OK & offered to split 50/50 as it was when my parents were in their right minds.  I LOVE MY SISTER SO MUCH and I realized that more than every after your show today.  Her love survives money, dementia, and so many things that can destroy a family.  Thanks for reminding me of my good fortune, my only , loving, sister.

April 7, 2008, 2:41 pm CDT

04/07 Will Fights

Quote From: sisselie

My sisters and I lost our parents one year apart.  When Dad died, someone at work told me "now the fighting will start."  And I responded  "there is no material thing that I want more than the love and companionship of my sisters." 

We went to FL together to close the estate and laughed and cried our way through everything.  We even purchased look-alike outfits for ourselves.  We have since lost one of our sisters and we are down to three, but the love and companionship will always be there.  I am truly blessed.

That is beautiful!!!! Yoiu are truly blessed:)

First | Prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next | Last