Message Boards

Topic : 07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Number of Replies: 289
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 02:52:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/30/07) When most women gaze in the mirror, they may bemoan a blemish here or a wrinkle there. Imagine staring at your reflection for over two hours and hating your face so much that you never leave the house. Dr. Phil’s guests say they are prisoners to body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), a preoccupation with a real or imagined physical defect. Diana, 28, has been suffering with BDD for over 13 years. She’s undergone over 50 permanent make-up procedures –- eye liner, lips and eyebrows –- and didn’t leave her home for two years because she thinks she looks like a monster. Her mother, Guadalupe, and her sister, Liz, say it’s painful to watch Diana deteriorate before their eyes. Find out the shocking event Diana believes caused her condition. Then, 17 year-old Cheyenne used to win beauty pageants, but now believes that she’s an ugly, overweight girl with thunder thighs. She takes several hours to get ready for school in the morning, and constantly picks at her arm hair and lips. Her mom, Bobette, wonders if she’s the cause of her daughter’s bad feelings. Does Cheyenne really have BDD, or is something else affecting her? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 30, 2007, 7:22 pm CDT

DIANA....

You are truly a beautiful person. INSIDE AND OUT!

Get help Diana. You are such a sweet / sincere / kind / humble young lady.

I was truly shocked to see how gorgeous you really are. Stay healthy and get help ... you can get thru this!!!

-Terra

October 30, 2007, 7:30 pm CDT

A Serious Disease!

As I'm reading some of these postings, I get more disgusted with those of you who criticize and call these poor girls self absorbed. You obviously no nothing about Body Dismorphia or no anyone who has it. If you did you  would know that they don't see themselves the way we would see them. My husband suffers through this everyday of his life. And it breaks my heart to see him struggle with normal everyday things that the rest of us who don't have it take for granted.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the girls on the show today! They were very brave to come forward to share their story. I know how scared they must have been to speak about this, especially when there are so many  ignorant peoplein this world who want to put their to cents in on a subject they know nothing about.

And to Dr. Phil, thank you for talking about this devestating disorder on your show. I hope you can talk about it again. The more people can talk about it, the more research can be done to help them with this horrible disorder.

October 30, 2007, 7:42 pm CDT

What if You Are Ugly?

I know that I don't get this disorder because I have not experienced it.  I imagine that this is what Michael Jackson suffers from.  This probably will sound stupid but what if you take the argument out of the equation.  Instead of constantly telling these women "you are pretty" or "you are not ugly" why not just ask the inevitable:  "What if you are ugly?"  They obviously aren't but if they were would that mean that they should kill themselves?  Does it mean their life has no purpose?  There are a lot of unattractive people out there doing a whole lot of good for the world- they aren't staring in the mirror.  Mother Theresa had deep crevices in her face, a large Armenian nose and a hunchback but she was one of the most beautiful people in the world.

October 30, 2007, 7:43 pm CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

don't get me wrong.... of course it is a serious disease...so is depression....  just saying that they should be strong and not worry about their looks...  there is more to life than worrying about looks and staying in bed because of it is all i'm saying....

good luck to them ...

October 30, 2007, 8:36 pm CDT

Opinions - Comments - Thoughts

To me  it's very obvious  those who say they dont belive this is a disease or  real or whatever dont know anyone who has BDD...or at least you DONT KNOW who has it. I can understand why some may think they Cheyenne on todays show may not have BDD but thats not to say there is nothing wrong with her.

I dont have BDD but today i just realized someone very close to me does; for months i have been so confused in my own head as to why someone so damn good looking could feel the way he does, and now after this show I get it totally. While im somewhat relived to know what he has I am also sad that there is no actuall cure but at least we know how he can be treated and not go to the extent of taking his life if it ended up so bad.

October 30, 2007, 8:56 pm CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Diane,  the beautiful 28 year old who had body dysmorphia touched my heart. I saw beauty where she saw ugliness. I guess that really show us as onlookers that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and if your mind is distorting your eyes then we may not see the beauty that is truly there. The perfect scenerio would be a followup show and Diane walk across the stage and hold her head up high and  have worked her way back to a more healthy way of looking at herself. I think she has got to feel good inside that head of hers for her to ever feel good about the way she looks. I think this is only a symptom of a much deeper hatred of herself.  I am concerned for Dianes'  suicide attempts. I  have never had one of my family members attempt suicide and I am not at all sure I would handle it well.

Cheyenne the beautiful blonde had some other disorder, but I could not see it was like Dianes'. 

October 30, 2007, 9:16 pm CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: cmore01

Once again, a beauty pageant  'graduate' (Cheyenne - the blonde) proving to the world that pageants screw women up!  And sniffling mother engulfed in the same narcissistic blame.  That relationship screamed of confusion.  A couple of questions to any parent who shoves their child into a pageant:  1) what are you thinking, 2) what are you thinking and 3) we know what you're thinking, so why did you do it?!  Living your life vicariously through your innocent child is a recipe for disaster.  And a good way to 'shock' Cheyenne out of her self-scrutiny 'disorder' would be to put her in a 4 x 4' box with flat screens on each wall for 24 hours straight -- each running REAL world problems of terrorism, insurrection,  human suffering, persecution, disease, tiny children starving.  Get a life, Barbie-doll!  It didn't come out on the show but I suspect that Mom and daughter are NOT involved in any type of service through their community other than to themselves. 
Well said. Also, I suspect that was all for publicity. I think Dr. Phil,  spotted the fake. Narcissim  was mentioned.

October 30, 2007, 9:17 pm CDT

Pageant Perils?

Does any one else besides me think that the beauty pageant mentality played a role in the way that Cheyenne views herself?  Maybe Cheyenne got  caught up in pleasing people just by being pretty and winning pageants.  Perhaps she let those wins dictate her feelings about herself. 

She seemed different than Diana.  I think that Diana has BDD.  Cheyenne- not so much.

October 30, 2007, 9:29 pm CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: oscarj71

The cure? Man says there isn't one. The reason my mood is frustrated is because we are in a "here's some drugs for your problem" world. As I Minister I can say Body Dysmorphia, bi-polar, Achoholism, and depression, are NOT diseases they are demon spirits. You get rid of the spirit and the problem goes away. End of story and PERIOD!!!
Give me a break...chemical imbalances and alcoholism don't exist? What religion are you? To make that statement is just plain ridiculous! End of story!!!

October 30, 2007, 9:43 pm CDT

Re: The Bible and Fornicaton

During the show today, I heard a commercial for an upcoming show discussing fornication.

So,  I wanted to share what the Bible says about it:  Galatians 5:19 - 21  (King James Version)  "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies.  Envyings, murders, drunkeness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past,  that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God".

God Bless.

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | Next | Last