Message Boards

Topic : 07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Number of Replies: 289
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 02:52:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/30/07) When most women gaze in the mirror, they may bemoan a blemish here or a wrinkle there. Imagine staring at your reflection for over two hours and hating your face so much that you never leave the house. Dr. Phil’s guests say they are prisoners to body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), a preoccupation with a real or imagined physical defect. Diana, 28, has been suffering with BDD for over 13 years. She’s undergone over 50 permanent make-up procedures –- eye liner, lips and eyebrows –- and didn’t leave her home for two years because she thinks she looks like a monster. Her mother, Guadalupe, and her sister, Liz, say it’s painful to watch Diana deteriorate before their eyes. Find out the shocking event Diana believes caused her condition. Then, 17 year-old Cheyenne used to win beauty pageants, but now believes that she’s an ugly, overweight girl with thunder thighs. She takes several hours to get ready for school in the morning, and constantly picks at her arm hair and lips. Her mom, Bobette, wonders if she’s the cause of her daughter’s bad feelings. Does Cheyenne really have BDD, or is something else affecting her? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 30, 2007, 3:32 pm CDT

Yeah.

I think they are absolutly ridiculous. My mom is going through the same thing right now and I think it is just a pity me story. I do believe that BDD is a real disorder, however I do not believe those girls have it. I think they say they have it so they can have a reason to complain about themself and make it sound like a problem. The media is what has done this to them. People are way to obsessed with they way they look, not just them two. I wanted to relate to them because I feel I have some of those symptoms, but at the same time I don't weigh 100 pounds and win beauty pagents. I'm not trying to sound cold-hearted at all, but I think it's just a way for people to draw even more attention to themself. I could understand if they've been trhough cancer or suffered from a disease, but that wasn't the case here. I guess it just really stes me off because they were nothing short of perfect-looking.

October 30, 2007, 3:35 pm CDT

Hello; Are we missing the point here???

Thank goodness, I seen today's show on BDD.  I guess one can only get it, if they are open minded or suffer with mental illness in their life.  I'm 38 years old, and I've been suffering inside everyday for only 33yrs. (87%) of my life.  I've been diagnosed with Dysthymia (2004), still off work for the last year on disability, then PTSD (2006), then Anxiety Disorder  NOS (2007), then an attempt this summer to end the indescribable, unknown  pain.  Today I found a little more hope to describe what I may be suffering from with, many coincidences in today's topic.  I'll be checking it out with my GP, Psychiatrist and counsellor.  Believe me, if we don't understand how can you.  We need lots of...time, compassion, support, counselling and much much more.  Otherwise everyone suffers, not just the one with the condition.  If you don't get it or know enough, please keep your comments to yourself.   I came to this message board for positive support not negative ignorance.  I believe Dr. Phil would like us all to act like adults and not like spoiled brats putting down an actual condition that people are suffering from.  I really wish I would have your dying relative's condition, then to deal with this day in day out.  At least I would be able to put a recognizable/acceptable label to it and end this pain.  Let's make this site constructive not destructive!   I know I want and need to learn more.  I want to get better or else I wouldn't have come to this site for support.

October 30, 2007, 3:36 pm CDT

I understand Completely...

I'm 18 years old and I have been struggling with Borderline Personality Disorder, and I've had the same kind of symptoms as Body Dismorphic Disorder for YEARS. It all started in middle school, when I was teased so relentlessly that I felt worthless. Now I over-keep my appearance. I can't leave the house in sweats, and I refuse to go ANYWHERE without makeup on. I've had numerous attempts to commit suicide. I have overdosed 3 times, I have cut so deeply that I bled horribly, and I've been generally cutting since 6th grade. I am also not a virgin - and I sleep with guys to feel loved - to feel accepted. Yeah, I'm an "outrageous" teenager - but I don't FEEL pretty. I just think other people see something I must be missing...because when I look in the mirror I still see a hideous monster. A sasquatch. An ugly princess. A hairy, disgusting piece of crap looking back at me from the mirror. Then when I put my makeup on, and I become a different person, I see someone beautiful and pretty - but even then I think people will look at me and say "Look at that ugly girl that can't keep herself together. She's disgusting. I wonder why people even DATE her."

No one really knows what happens inside my mind. I lash out at people because I'm so scared of them disapproving of me. I've had anorexia. I've had depression.

I'm 18 and I'm already screwed up.

October 30, 2007, 3:43 pm CDT

Sounds so familiar

I've been watching the show and know all to well what these girls go through I just never knew there was a name for it.I am 29 yrs old and have suffered from acne since I was about 13 yrs old.I will not let anyone including my boyfriend to see me without makeup and I most certanly would never leave the house without it.I have been on anti-depressants for about 10 yrs now and nothing seems to help,most of the time I don't leave the house unless absolutely necessary.I find it tough to go to work, and hate the way i look even with all the makeup on.I hope there is help for me somewhere so I can feel good about myself again.Thanks for shedding light on this.

October 30, 2007, 3:45 pm CDT

I Just Can't Understand

After watching this show today, I started wondering what my life would be like if I obsessed over my visual flaws. I have what's called Hemihyprotrophy. It's where one side of my body grows unusually faster than the other side and I have scoliosis because of it. If I were truely obsessive over my body image, I would not be able to wear my two-piece swimwear, had my hair completely cover my back at all times and had just too much drama that I am willing to deal with... I love my body. Yes, my left leg is a quarter inch longer than the right. my left leg bows slightly because of it... my spine looks like a snake slithering and my feet and hands are two different sizes...Shoe shopping can be a NIGHTMARE... So I walk a little lop-sided and my back hurts if I don't wear the lift in my right shoe, but that's who I am... And as for the lady that says that it was because of her being sexually abused: PLEASE WOMAN GET A GRIP!!!!!!!!!! That may be part of it, but only a SMALL part of it. Believe me, I was abused by someone that I really trusted when I was a little girl. It effected me for a little while, but through prayer and talking with a preacher about it, that doesn't even bother me anymore. I think that the girls on your show today really need to pray about their ordeal... But I had to just say that I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND what is so wrong with them... to me they just seem like spoiled little girls who need to STOP WHINING.. Seriously GROW UP!! I'm not saying that their disorder is fake or anything but there are people with far more problems than what they could even dream!!! They have food, they have clothes, they have families that love them... just get a grip

October 30, 2007, 3:55 pm CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

I think this makes others of the world pretty much the same as here in the USA and as far as National Geographic yes people of other countries are certainly beautiful but they're also not without their problems.  As you'd said there are children in other countries that are starving but you seem tomiss the fact there there are plenty of children starving here in the US too!  You're painting a broad picture with a narrow brush IMO  Mom's have been telling their children to "eat, children are starving in other countries." and my late FIL would tell you you are WRONG because his mother insisting that he finish his plate is the reason he never learned to stop eating when he was full & the reason he was over weight all of his life!    As for the women on the show & their "all about me" way of thinking is this what you would say to someone that is suffering from anorexia?  "stop thinking about yourself & eat something"?!   I think you're being extremely cold and critical of people when you've no clue as to what they're dealing with.  Remember untill we've walked a mile in someone else's shoes............

The show was about people and their distorted view of themselves. It wasn't about starving children or somebody blaming their being overweight because their mother made them clean their plate. Give me a break!! And, yes, someone with anorexia needs to be told to eat. That is how they are healed in the treatment centers where they are sent. And I still hold to the belief that the problem with these women and anorexiics is trying to reach for unattainable perfection that is portrayed in movies and magazines.

October 30, 2007, 4:02 pm CDT

I wish I had the guts

I wish I had the gut to do what the women on this show did today.  There is no way I could ever go on tv because my face and body are way too fat.  I'm 5'3" and way 135 pounds and look disgusting. 

October 30, 2007, 4:09 pm CDT

10/30 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: nikita1688

those girls were both gorgeous! yes i think cheyenne is just judging herself she doesn't have body dysmorphia.  cheyenne does bueaty pagnants so of course she is obsessed with her look. cheyenne isn't ugly anyways she's a barbie doll. that other girl, don't remember her name (playin with my puppy), is a beautiful sexy girl. I want to look like her. I was in a serious car accident may 28th 2005.  Now I'm blind out of one eye, so my pupil is huge and i have horrid scars. Even before she was prettier than me though. I think very low of myself i look in the mirror for hours trying to perfect myself but I know i'll never be perfect and the world is still going? I move on with my life doing things that need to be done. you can think i'm ugly i could care less, i already think it myself and so what i'm unique?

I am so sad reading this post!  How you look really doesn't matter to anyone who has a brain and a bit of common sense.  You aren't perfect even after staring into the mirror?  Well, guess what?  Nobody else is either.

And I seriously doubt that anybody else is thinking you look ugly.  Most people are too shallow and are more concerned with how they themselves look, how many hours they have to work, what to make for dinner, etc, than to even think about someone else's appearance.

I have MS and use a 4-wheel-walker.  People ask me why sometimes and I tell them.  I tell little kids that it's my stroller.  I thought about telling them that I was sick, but then thought I didn't want to scare them every time they or their parents had a cold, or something.  If they ask more questions, I tell them it helps me walk.

I also visit people in nursing homes sometimes.  Anybody who visits someone who doesn't have any visitors is welcomed with open arms. 

I hope you feel better about everything soon.

October 30, 2007, 4:14 pm CDT

Im 43 yr. old male with BDD

I am a 43 year old gay male and I have dealt with BDD since I was 13. It was only recently that I realised that I have had BDD longer than I have had depression, which I have had since 1977

I was in grade 5 and I bugged my parents to get braces. I have a gap slightly larger than Madonna has.  I got braces 3 years later.

I remember an incident in grade 7 where I used a bobby pin to try to get a mole off my face. I wanted to get Porcelana (age fading ) cream because I thought it would remove my mole but I was too embarrassed as a 13 year old boy buying age cream.

I have been obsessed with my looks ever since then. And as mentioned on the show, it isnt vanity. Getting back to my braces, I remember being in the orthodontist chair and looking at the dentist and thinking "why cant I look like him"

I would probably be described as slightly above attractive person, but I wanted to be 'the hunk' and I wasnt that. As my depression continued, I gained some weight (40 lbs), and in my opinion, my looks faded. I feel ugly. I feel hideous. I stay at home much of the day. I dont like going outside and I have anxiety when I do.

When I go out, I compare myself to other guys and I can get very depressed when I see a good looking guy.

As funny as it may sound, I have been suicidal about my hair. I have hair similiar to Sting, a bit less. Its devastating and I know people probably dont understand.

Ive become a recluse because of BDD, along with depression and anxiety. Girls may be associated more with BDD, but guys have it to

Thats just a bit of my story

Mark

Vancouver, British Columbia

October 30, 2007, 4:16 pm CDT

self absorbed.

there are people with real problems in this world  liked children with cancer and real issues like starving people in Africa, can't believe this is even a relative issue

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last