Message Boards

Topic : Stress at Work

Number of Replies: 237
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:47 am
Author : dataimport
How do you manage stress in the workplace? How do you leave the office at the office and manage a stress-free home life? Join us to share strategies.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 30, 2006, 10:56 am CDT

congrats on getting out of a bad situation, and with a good attitude

Quote From: ayecalypso

At the beginning of June I was laid off due to the old adage of "reorganizing and restructuring."   

That, I recently found out, was somewhat inaccurate, and now there is another person in my place.  Find she can have it - I wonder how much abuse she's taken so far?   

I spent over 3 years, and each day wondering, "what kind of mood I going to have to deal with today?  It gets pretty bad when your boss pulls up outside and you groan, wondering if she's going to take your head off as soon as she gets in the door.   

You ask "why did I stay" at a place that tore apart my self-esteem and somedays sent me home in tears?  My mortgage payment and my family - that is why.  Family first.  

I never received any praise for the job I did, only insults and criticism (stupid came out alot) and now that I've been kicked to the curb, I'm kicking the last three years "to the curb."   

The cord has been cut, the place is not there anymore, nor do I care to see it anymore.  It ain't worth it.   

If I see her in the grocery store, she's a stranger to me.  That is all.  When I say "cut the cord" I mean "cut the cord."   

Now I've got a new outlook and a new attitude.  In my new position I will be on my own alot, and I like it that way.  No one beating me over the head and verbally assaulting me every time I turn around.   

Respect is a two way street - give me some and I'll give it back.  I cannot say that I don't miss my previous position BUT I sure don't miss tgtting yelled at!   

I read your message with strong interest.  No one should have to put up with a situation like the one you had.  And no boss should be allowed to be abusive to their workers.  But it does happen.  I know that for sure because a while back I worked in a school where my boss was a malicious, lying, self-esteem-eroding individual.  Whatever i did was wrong in her view, even though everyone I ever worked for before (AND AFTER!!) her loved the work I did.  She gave me reviews that were so distorted with untruths that I didn't even recognize the person she was reviewing which was supposed to be ME!  She was constantly condescending, and my self-esteem took a massive hit the year I worked for her.  The best thing I did was to get out of there.  When I started my next job, I was well-liked by my boss immediately.  When she reviewed my it was consistent with the reviews I got before I worked for that b****.  Isn't that odd since my new boss had no connection with anyone I worked for before, yet she saw me in the same good light all my bosses before the b**** did.  I've got to say, it took a LONG time to recoup my self-esteem, but I did. 

You've got the right attitude.  I like your comment about respect being a two-way street. Good luck to you. 

July 9, 2006, 12:11 pm CDT

I decided to leave the stress behind a few years ago.....

CAN THIS BE TRUE....
Once upon a time, an ambitious woman entered a successful store with a reputation for beautiful, fine-quality products. She walked right up to the owner and said, "Sir, I am very impressed with your establishment. I'd like to come on board and build a career here. I can promise you that I will do a great job. In return, all I ask for is the following: First, I'*d like up 50% profit on everything I sell. And, if I bring in and train new sales people, I think I deserve a percentage of everything they sell. Now, when I do well, I expect lots of praise and recognition - not to mention special awards, products and gifts. I'll also want to set my own schedule. I want to work with a company I can be proud of And, of course, my family ALWAYS comes first!"
The store owner roared with laughter, "Lady, you can't be serious!! You're living in a dream world. You'll never find an opportunity like that - ANYWHERE!"  

Fortunately, he was wrong - Avon offers exactly that!
YOU CAN START YOUR OWN AVON BUSINESS TODAY FOR ONLY $10 AND CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER!!  

Contact Me TODAY!  

Include your :
NAME
NUMBER
EMAIL
BEST TIME TO CALL!  

avon_now_hiring@yahoo.com  

July 10, 2006, 12:12 pm CDT

About me

Hey everyone.  I only 21 and currently attending classes at a community college and i'm going to be a mother.. Yippe!!!  But one problem, I need to get a job but all my references suck.  Any advice for me thanks 

July 10, 2006, 1:57 pm CDT

some advice for celica

Quote From: celica03

Hey everyone.  I only 21 and currently attending classes at a community college and i'm going to be a mother.. Yippe!!!  But one problem, I need to get a job but all my references suck.  Any advice for me thanks 

first you need to ask yourself why all your references are bad.  If just one was bad I would say that maybe there was a personality conflict, but ALL of them??  This merits some evaluation and if you can't do it on your own, maybe you can ask someone you know if they could shed light on what you are doing that makes people give you bad references.  Maybe someone else that you worked with could help with this. Next, you need to work as hard as you can at community college.  If you do a good job I'll bet your instructors would give you good references.  Then when you do get a job you must always remember to do the best job you can for your employer.  Good luck to you.

July 18, 2006, 3:01 am CDT

I work for my parents & grand parents-HELP

I have work for my families business for the past 16 years & have been the managed for the past 2. My husband has worked there for the past 6 years until 2 weeks ago. My Dad, brother-in-law & husband had a huge arguement & I told my husband to leave work. It was on the cards & our family life has been suffering for a while now, so I feel both releaved & Stuck between a rock & a bolder. My husband has found another job but it is low paying & we have become acustom to a comfortable (not cosy) life. Although I knew it would happen one day I financially didn't plan for it. Now my husband is saying I need a pay rise & I do agree some what but I know my family wont agree. My feelings is that why should I have to sell my house because they wont give me a rise & on the other had its all I've ever know I don't want to leave. I know they would find anyone to replace me without paying them an extra $20k so how do I get them to see this.

August 7, 2006, 1:31 am CDT

They thik i did it... !!!

hey... well i don't even know how to start  because i feel so shame from my family ...  well actually we are iraqis living  syria and at this moment there are our relatives  staying with us in one house ... well one of my sisters are marrid and the other are not any way befor 2 weeks my married sister she had a 500$ in her pocket and 100 $ disappeared  and then to day morning the other one found out that she had lost a 800 $ and we are 12 people in one house and our house contens two rooms and one living room and they left all the house people and they said that i did it i stealed the money i don't know from where the hell get this Idea from am not angry because the money i am angry why "me"  ????  why not another one from the 9 rest people ??!!!! i don't know what to do .....

August 27, 2006, 12:29 pm CDT

I was until.....

being "relieved" of my duties for patting a person on the shoulder's and wishing them a good day.

What has happened to this country?   We do not give pats to our kids, we do not hug, we do not even do it at work like we used too.  Businesses are "lawsuit-afraid" and people are OVERLY "touchy" on the subject.

I am a very nice, outgoing, energetic, nice to a fault, team oriented, supportive person to those whom I feel could use a little boost.  Yet, an innocent pat on the back is taking as harrassment.

Our country has become so inward focused on me, me, me that there just is not true appreciation shown for anything.   That is, unless it is bought at a store and given to someone for a "good job".  Makes one feel that the "cold pricklies" have now over taken the "warm fuzzies" of years ago.

Do not get me wrong... a harrassment policy similar to that portrayed in the movie "North Country" was needed.   Just why do people take things to the extreme?

August 28, 2006, 6:41 am CDT

Stress at work

When it comes to stress at work, I do not handle it very well. I feel like taking the day off and going somewhere thats peaceful where I can clear my mind and get rid of the tension I feel. Clients who come in to the office and start cussing or complaining and questioning procedures or they start telling me how to do my job, thats what stresses me out. They cross the line when they start that nonsense. Another thing, I have been working as a receptionist for almost 5 years, and my last raise was back in March of this year when I was asked if I wanted to be the full time receptionist. I would like to be making more money and doing something else that can challenge me or where I can learn a new skill. I also talk about what stresses me out. That helps out alot.

August 30, 2006, 6:34 pm CDT

Starting over in mid-life

Maybe I shuld say LATE mid-life!  I had a very good job with good benefits, retirement, etc. My husband left for another woman after 35 years. I felt like I could continue alone because I could support myself, have good retirement, etc. My daughter was married to a professional person, so I knew she and my grandchildren would be cared for.  Don't ever let yourself feel you have things in control - something can always shake things up.  My former company was sold - we knew it was coming months in advance and all of the "old timers" were advised to find something else if we could before the new owners took over.  I was lucky enough to find another job close to home. Bad news is much LESS salary and benefits and no retirement - plus, it's much more stressful.  I must work at least ten more years before I can even consider retiring. Oh, by the way, daughter is now divorced and I'm helping financially as much as I can.  This retirement deal is looking further and further away!  I do feel lucky that I got out  when I did and could find another job. The old company has been sold and the new owner's are letting the old timers go (as we expected) and bringing in new people. I feel better that I left and didn't wait to be let go. I've never been asked to leave a job. That seems to happen more and more now - work almost 40 years and take a step back just to have employment.  You would think things would start to get better at this age, but don't count on it! 

September 1, 2006, 9:02 pm CDT

Manager Causing me stress

We got a new manager at the auto repair shop where I work and suddenly I hate my job. I am a licensed mechanic and pride myself on doing quality repairs. For far too many years, my trade has been dominated by hacks that have ruined the trade's reputation for honesty. I pride myself in being as open with customers as possible, showing them old parts, before and after repair showings, and constant diaglouge. I refuse to short cut or hack something just to save someone a few bucks. I don't want hte customer coming back in a short period of time. I'd rather have a quality repair done that will far outlast any hack. My new manager, though, is all about the quick buck. He doesn't care about reputation, as long as he's making money today. So, now he's asking me to be a hack, just to make stuff work. It makes me so angry and frustrates me. And then head office gives my apprentice a raise to more money than I make!!! Unbelievable. Unforetunately i'm terrified of moving on. I've been with them for 3 years and like the job security, benefits, and holidays. I'm scared that others won't hire me cause I'm a woman. AHHHH!!! Its enough to make me scream.

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last