Message Boards

Topic : Stress at Work

Number of Replies: 237
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:47 am
Author : dataimport
How do you manage stress in the workplace? How do you leave the office at the office and manage a stress-free home life? Join us to share strategies.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 12, 2006, 12:54 pm CDT

Supervisory Burnout

Quote From: hlpingkids

I haven't heard of that organization, but we primarily provide services to the rural SW VA area and all of WV, ya know the places no one else wants to go? LOL 

I don't know if this would work for you or if it even would be an option, but maybe if some of your time was spent in the field, working with one of the kids, it would not only give you a paperwork break, but you could see first hand the difference that is made?  I know you said you aren't a social worker, but maybe mentoring just one of the kids in a family would be the breath of fresh air you need as well as that child? That could give you the perfect boost of positive reinforcement/change and positive outcome. If your company doesn't do mentoring, it looks to be a newborn program, than maybe you could work some of the research aspect into your routine? Something to break up your day so you aren't just the dumping ground for half burned out field workers. That can be a HORRIBLE position day in and day out! 

Is there anyone within the company you trust enough to discuss some options with? As hard as it is to find good employees and supervisors I would hope, which maybe is a bubble of mine, that they would value you, and all other employees enough to help in any way they can. It honestly sounds like you need to take breaks without thinking about work, like expanding your realm and doing more trainings, and just flat out unplug to preserve thy self.  When I get overwhelmed I take some time that I KNOW will make me forget about work and that is my horses or exercising.   

Also do you best to leave ALL work at the door when you get home or that safe haven will become just like the office, feelings of dread and defeat. 

Those are good suggestions.  I do try to leave work at work.  And I usually make time for a lunch hour.  I live a few blocks from my office, so going home for lunch is a welcome respite in the middle of the day.  I can trust my director, who is my immediate supervisor.  She and I have a meeting for about an hour a week and she is great about letting me vent and helping me normalize these feelings.  She reminded me, just this week, that we are doing what we set out to do.  No family that has ever been enrolled in our local program has ever had a founded case of child abuse or neglect.  And all of them have significant risk factors for it. So, it's working.  I geuss I just get frustrated with the lack of motivation of the parents and the way they are so ungrateful and so demanding.  I am taking a four day weekend over Easter and I refuse to bring any work home with me.  I also just registered for my second semester in college, so I will have a broader range of career choices if I ever truly get so burned out that I'm no longer effective.  Thanks for understanding! Maybe I'm not a heel afterall.

April 15, 2006, 5:58 am CDT

Regular Customers

Hi, I work at a large fashion retailer in the mall. I've been there for 6 months and I go to grad school at night. I am only a part-time worker. The problem is this, there are a lot of regular shoppers at this store and they think they are so much better than everybody else. Lately, they have been complaining about me to management. These women think they control the town with their demands. For example, one of these women stopped a manager at the book store in the mall and asked them who I was and how long I had been working there, because she just didn't think "my heart was in it". Can you believe this?! I think these regular shoppers just feel like they can control who works at this store and who doesn't, just because they frequently shop and buy clothes there. I am so sick of these bitc*es I don't know what to do! They are basically trying to get me fired, but I'm not worried about it. My question is: How do you handle local town bitch#* like these women and how can I deal with them in the store in a way which will not get me in trouble but get my revenge?!!

April 17, 2006, 5:20 pm CDT

Stress at Work

Quote From: lucky35

Hi, I work at a large fashion retailer in the mall. I've been there for 6 months and I go to grad school at night. I am only a part-time worker. The problem is this, there are a lot of regular shoppers at this store and they think they are so much better than everybody else. Lately, they have been complaining about me to management. These women think they control the town with their demands. For example, one of these women stopped a manager at the book store in the mall and asked them who I was and how long I had been working there, because she just didn't think "my heart was in it". Can you believe this?! I think these regular shoppers just feel like they can control who works at this store and who doesn't, just because they frequently shop and buy clothes there. I am so sick of these bitc*es I don't know what to do! They are basically trying to get me fired, but I'm not worried about it. My question is: How do you handle local town bitch#* like these women and how can I deal with them in the store in a way which will not get me in trouble but get my revenge?!!

Can't some consumers just be the worst?  I imagine that none of them ever had to hold down a job that required any actual work. And I am sure that none of them realize that retail jobs are not the highest paying jobs in the world.  You probably feel like you don't make enough money to put up with that sort of thing from them.  And you're right.  There is only one problem...you can't control what other people who are ignorant of real-world jobs and challenges say or do.  I know that the attitudes of these pompus, controlling people are offensive to say the least.  But by allowing yourself to spend any of your precious time and energy focusing on them is giving them power over you.  And it sounds like they already have enough of that.  After many years of working with difficult people, I can tell you from experience that "revenge" always backfires.  It only seems like a good idea at the time.  You are in graduate school.  You are not going to be in this job forever.  So, for your own peace of mind, just keep doing your job to the best of your ability and let them take their opinions and their gossip and stick it in thier...back pocket!  They have no power over you!  And if you believe that their opinions can get you fired, your real issue is having a boss that trusts you and will back you up.  Remember...this job is only temporary.  You can handle anything to get where you belong.  And, one day, they may be working for YOU!  :-)   So, forget the revenge and focus on your future.  Don't give them any control of your emotions, thoughts, or time.  You will triumph over them by, one day, leaving them in your dust!

April 18, 2006, 11:08 am CDT

Is there such thing as working from home thats not a scam?

Hey all my name is Lisa and im from alberta canada and i justed wanted to ask is there really such things as woking from home were you dont have to put down a deposit? Iam a single mother of 3 kids and i am on social assistance and i want to change that, but i would love to spend more time with my children if at all possible. is there anyone out there that has any information that might beable to help me?

April 18, 2006, 6:36 pm CDT

You Are NOT A "Heel" At ALL!

Quote From: loreleimb

Those are good suggestions.  I do try to leave work at work.  And I usually make time for a lunch hour.  I live a few blocks from my office, so going home for lunch is a welcome respite in the middle of the day.  I can trust my director, who is my immediate supervisor.  She and I have a meeting for about an hour a week and she is great about letting me vent and helping me normalize these feelings.  She reminded me, just this week, that we are doing what we set out to do.  No family that has ever been enrolled in our local program has ever had a founded case of child abuse or neglect.  And all of them have significant risk factors for it. So, it's working.  I geuss I just get frustrated with the lack of motivation of the parents and the way they are so ungrateful and so demanding.  I am taking a four day weekend over Easter and I refuse to bring any work home with me.  I also just registered for my second semester in college, so I will have a broader range of career choices if I ever truly get so burned out that I'm no longer effective.  Thanks for understanding! Maybe I'm not a heel afterall.

Good for you in taking that four days OFF!  Also, please see the significance of all of your families NOT having founded CPS's that in and of itself speaks highly of you and your staff! 

We can't change motivation in some, but in others its amazing what they can do that beat ALL odds.  Remember, in most of the generational families that you and I work with the habits are not only learned, but expected so those few that make progress are SUCCESS stories! If you ever need to vent let it fly, at least I'll understand what you mean lol and NO it isn't horrible to be frustrated and say it out loud. Sort of like the things we have to see humor in to stay sane lol. 

Congratulations on taking the additional steps to better your options that too needs to be recognized.  

April 20, 2006, 10:37 am CDT

Thank you so much!

Quote From: loreleimb

Can't some consumers just be the worst?  I imagine that none of them ever had to hold down a job that required any actual work. And I am sure that none of them realize that retail jobs are not the highest paying jobs in the world.  You probably feel like you don't make enough money to put up with that sort of thing from them.  And you're right.  There is only one problem...you can't control what other people who are ignorant of real-world jobs and challenges say or do.  I know that the attitudes of these pompus, controlling people are offensive to say the least.  But by allowing yourself to spend any of your precious time and energy focusing on them is giving them power over you.  And it sounds like they already have enough of that.  After many years of working with difficult people, I can tell you from experience that "revenge" always backfires.  It only seems like a good idea at the time.  You are in graduate school.  You are not going to be in this job forever.  So, for your own peace of mind, just keep doing your job to the best of your ability and let them take their opinions and their gossip and stick it in thier...back pocket!  They have no power over you!  And if you believe that their opinions can get you fired, your real issue is having a boss that trusts you and will back you up.  Remember...this job is only temporary.  You can handle anything to get where you belong.  And, one day, they may be working for YOU!  :-)   So, forget the revenge and focus on your future.  Don't give them any control of your emotions, thoughts, or time.  You will triumph over them by, one day, leaving them in your dust!

I so needed to hear some positive, uplifting talk. Thanks so much!

April 23, 2006, 12:08 pm CDT

new job

I just got a job at the courthouse.  There was 6 of us who were hired and 4 of us started our training together.  Two will work as a clerk, two will be court reporters.  The other two (one clerk & one reporter) will start in two weeks. 

During training, we were asked to help with back log that no one else at work wanted to do.  The other two worked in another office and this young man (Joe) and I were to photocopy a very large binder and make three copies. 

The judges secretary showed Joe how to use their photocopier.  Joe said that he wanted to do the photocopying and I would put create the three binders. 

The first time he tried to make a copy, he had some problems and asked me to help him.  He did not know how to use the photocopier.  I said that I would do the photocopying and he could make the three binders. 

Every few minutes I brought into our new shared office three copies of each chapter to him.  I saw him working hard making three sets and stapling each chapter since we were not provided with dividers.  As I was coming near the end of photocopying the original binder, I noticed that he had a huge mess in the office.  He had over nine piles of paper.  He did not know how to create three piles and then hole punch them and put them in each binder that was provided.  I helped him sort it out and it was such a mess!  There was also missing copies that I have given to him.  I even asked him, how could he lose 1 copy of the three that I gave him.  He was clueless.  Finally, I sorted everything out all by myself.  He tried to look busy but I am not sure how much he help me sort out his mess.  Finally I had three piles of paper that needed to be hole-punched and inserted into the binders.  He wanted to hole punch them and I was to insert them into the binders.  As I started to insert the first pile, I noticed that he did not hole punch all the sheets evenly and some of them were hole punched on the wrong side of the paper!  I showed him his error.  Finally we completed our work 3 hours later and gave it to our manager. 

I feel so frustrated with Joe.  I wanted to complain to my new boss but thought it might not be a good idea because I am new there and we are on probation for a few months.   

I wanted to vent about this but I would really love to hear what you think of my story. 

April 24, 2006, 7:42 am CDT

Stress at Work

Quote From: wising

I just got a job at the courthouse.  There was 6 of us who were hired and 4 of us started our training together.  Two will work as a clerk, two will be court reporters.  The other two (one clerk & one reporter) will start in two weeks. 

During training, we were asked to help with back log that no one else at work wanted to do.  The other two worked in another office and this young man (Joe) and I were to photocopy a very large binder and make three copies. 

The judges secretary showed Joe how to use their photocopier.  Joe said that he wanted to do the photocopying and I would put create the three binders. 

The first time he tried to make a copy, he had some problems and asked me to help him.  He did not know how to use the photocopier.  I said that I would do the photocopying and he could make the three binders. 

Every few minutes I brought into our new shared office three copies of each chapter to him.  I saw him working hard making three sets and stapling each chapter since we were not provided with dividers.  As I was coming near the end of photocopying the original binder, I noticed that he had a huge mess in the office.  He had over nine piles of paper.  He did not know how to create three piles and then hole punch them and put them in each binder that was provided.  I helped him sort it out and it was such a mess!  There was also missing copies that I have given to him.  I even asked him, how could he lose 1 copy of the three that I gave him.  He was clueless.  Finally, I sorted everything out all by myself.  He tried to look busy but I am not sure how much he help me sort out his mess.  Finally I had three piles of paper that needed to be hole-punched and inserted into the binders.  He wanted to hole punch them and I was to insert them into the binders.  As I started to insert the first pile, I noticed that he did not hole punch all the sheets evenly and some of them were hole punched on the wrong side of the paper!  I showed him his error.  Finally we completed our work 3 hours later and gave it to our manager. 

I feel so frustrated with Joe.  I wanted to complain to my new boss but thought it might not be a good idea because I am new there and we are on probation for a few months.   

I wanted to vent about this but I would really love to hear what you think of my story. 

If  you just started the Job its not a good idea to start complaining, if Joe is that incompetant they will notice before long, and someone who has worked there longer will eventually deal with Joe and find out.

April 24, 2006, 5:16 pm CDT

Sister is right

Quote From: wising

Since you are both new to this job it would not only be a poor reflection of yourself to rat him out, but also why not give him a little time to figure out his own system.  When people start new jobs it takes time, everyones time line differs, to find comfort in the new setting, but also the best way to efficiently do their assigned tasks. 

As an employer it is one thing to have a closed door concern that someone is doing something of detriment to the company, but to have a 'newbie' complain about a fellow 'newbie' is not a good plan.   

As Sisterforyu said they will notice if it really is a problem and they will give you both time to find your comfort zone in the new positions.  That is their job for their company ;) 

April 25, 2006, 5:37 pm CDT

Stress at Work

Quote From: sisterofyu

If  you just started the Job its not a good idea to start complaining, if Joe is that incompetant they will notice before long, and someone who has worked there longer will eventually deal with Joe and find out.

You are right!  Today he messed up again and I did not point out his errors.  We handed in our work and our supervisor noticed his error.  When the supervisor and I was alone, correcting his mistakes, she said to me "I guess I did not explain it well to him."  I told her that her instructions were very clear. 

She said nothing after that. 

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next | Last