Message Boards

Topic : Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:22:04 am
Author : dataimport
From clipping coupons, to bargain shopping, we all have our tricks to getting the best deals to help us save more. Share yours!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 26, 2006, 8:00 am CDT

Re: Escrow Account

Dividing your annual bills by 12 and opening a saving account really does work - I've been doing it for years - takes some self discipline but you have the peace of mind that your big annual bills are being managed and under control - and that you will have the $$$$ to pay them when the bill comes. 

October 30, 2006, 3:13 pm CST

Announcement

A WAY FOR THE DISABLED, AND DISADVANTAGED.

This Message Board is a tool dedicated to assist those who have been disadvantaged because of illnesses, misfortunes and tragedies in their lives.

The Missions of this Board, set to a campaign status is as follows:

To share opinions, thoughts, and ideas to help those who are DISABLED.

To enlighten the corporate world of the ABILITES of those considered DISABLED

To help people find a way to utilize their skills and talents in non-conventional work duties or applications in order to empower them to make a decent living.

To help those who are disadvantaged to find resources to assist in their immediate needs.

To promote their ABILITES and to allow opportunities for a normal life-style.

To improve our economy by employing, or empowering the disabled, who are capable enough to apply their skills and talents, by allowing them to earn a living, and not depend on the social services of society.

To demonstrate to society the benefits of this empowerment.

To assist those with special needs by offering contacts and resources to allow them to move ahead.

To assist the mentally challenged, or intellectually challenged, and physically challenged and bring a new hope of prosperity and successes to their lives.

To raise AWARENESS across the nation that we, the disabled, who have the desire to improve our lives, do not want to be set aside as a misfit of society.

http://www.drphil.com/messageboard/topic/1981/

November 9, 2006, 1:32 am CST

Poverty is an Option!

There are books and there are books! This is simply a book for anyone who wants to get out of financial stagnancy(and to be honest, dont we all!). Using life examples of some of the world's most successful people from Ukraine, India, U.K, U.S, Africa,e.t.c, the book takes you through the simple but largely ignored laws governing financial success. You can get a copy at: www.lulu.com/content/483237

November 29, 2006, 7:00 pm CST

Generic Drugs at reasonable price

Many Walmart, Target, and K-mart stores in the US are now filling generic drug prescriptions for $4.00 each.  This is a great savings!

jl4ever

November 29, 2006, 7:15 pm CST

Cut your grocery bills.

Home made spaghetti from scratch is a great inexpensive meal.  Freeze left overs for another meal.  Side dish of pea or salad and garlic bread are good.

Leftover peas can go into a tuna noodle casserole - 1 can tuna, 1 can cream of mushroom soup (buy for 50 cents at Dollar store).  Boil 1 cup of either egg noodles or macaroni noodles.  Mix together.  Put into casserole dish.  Top w/ crushed saltines or potato chips or whatever crackers you have and parmesan cheese.  Dot w/butter (margarine, etc.) and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Freeze leftovers.

Red beans and rice - Season redbeans with onions, bay leaf, sausage (if you have it).  If redbeans are canned, then cook them on top of stove for 30 minutes and serve over rice.  If you buy dry, uncooked beans (cheaper), wash beans and remove any stones that may be in them.  Soak overnight, drain water and cook slowly for several hours.  Another alternative to soaking them, is to put them in a large pot covered with water.  Bring water to a boil and drain them in a colendar.  Do this 3 times and then cook them slowly.  These may be seasoned with bacon too.  When bean are soft, take some out and mash them (about 1/3 of them) and add back to the pot and there you have a good meal to serve over rice.  You can also use while beans, navy beans, etc.

Home made soups - check recipe book.  I always get at least 2 meals off of hamburger, vegetable soup.  I save little dabs of leftovers in a freezer box in my freezer until I have enough for soup.

Fried rice is easy to make also.  Don't be afraid to be creative.

Hey there's nothing wrong with fixing a breakfast for supper either!

Any body want to add to this list?

jl4ever

December 19, 2006, 3:25 pm CST

Thanks

Quote From: jl4ever

Home made spaghetti from scratch is a great inexpensive meal.  Freeze left overs for another meal.  Side dish of pea or salad and garlic bread are good.

Leftover peas can go into a tuna noodle casserole - 1 can tuna, 1 can cream of mushroom soup (buy for 50 cents at Dollar store).  Boil 1 cup of either egg noodles or macaroni noodles.  Mix together.  Put into casserole dish.  Top w/ crushed saltines or potato chips or whatever crackers you have and parmesan cheese.  Dot w/butter (margarine, etc.) and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Freeze leftovers.

Red beans and rice - Season redbeans with onions, bay leaf, sausage (if you have it).  If redbeans are canned, then cook them on top of stove for 30 minutes and serve over rice.  If you buy dry, uncooked beans (cheaper), wash beans and remove any stones that may be in them.  Soak overnight, drain water and cook slowly for several hours.  Another alternative to soaking them, is to put them in a large pot covered with water.  Bring water to a boil and drain them in a colendar.  Do this 3 times and then cook them slowly.  These may be seasoned with bacon too.  When bean are soft, take some out and mash them (about 1/3 of them) and add back to the pot and there you have a good meal to serve over rice.  You can also use while beans, navy beans, etc.

Home made soups - check recipe book.  I always get at least 2 meals off of hamburger, vegetable soup.  I save little dabs of leftovers in a freezer box in my freezer until I have enough for soup.

Fried rice is easy to make also.  Don't be afraid to be creative.

Hey there's nothing wrong with fixing a breakfast for supper either!

Any body want to add to this list?

jl4ever

I'm 21 and flatting in NZ. do you know any good cheap meal ideas?

p.s only the rings on the stove work, but we have a mircorwave

December 20, 2006, 9:19 pm CST

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: miss_hirst

I'm 21 and flatting in NZ. do you know any good cheap meal ideas?

p.s only the rings on the stove work, but we have a mircorwave

When I lived in the Phillapeans (husband in the air force), we only had a two burner hot plate.  We lived there for over a year.  We cooked spaghetti, fried rice, hanburgers, egg rolls, pork chops, and chicken on it. 

In expensive meals:

Phillapeno (sp?) fried rice:

Cook one cup of dry rice.

Saute onions in a large frying pan.

Saute any left over beef, ham, chicken, or hamburger in a frying pan until heated through.

Add any vegetables - thin sliced cabbage, green beans, carrots, etc.

Saute vegetables until tender

Sprinkle soy sauce on top and mix into the rice mixture

Add rice

In another small frying pan, scramble some eggs.

Put the scrambled eggs on the top of the rice mixture.

Taco salad:

Brown hamburger in frying pan.

Add chili powder, cumin (spice) and tomatoe sauce - quantities to taste or instead of using chili power and cumin, add an envelope of taco seasoning.

Let simmer.

While simmering, chop lettuce, onions, tomato, grate some cheese.

Optional - cook one cup of rice.

Place lettuce on bottom of plate (if using rice - put rice first and then lettuce)

Next add tomatoes, cheese and onions (if you have extra $ add sour cream and chopped alvacado.

When meat has simmered for about 15 to 20 minutes, pour on top of the rice, lettuce, tomato, etc. mixture and your meal is ready.

Eggplant Parmesan (a little bit more costly):

Slice one eggplant, sprinkle with salt and let sit for 15 minutes and then rinse off salt - this takes the bitterness out of the egg plant.

While eggplant is sitting, mix  one cup of ricotta cheese with parsley, salt and pepper.

Take one jar of spaghetti sauce ($1.00 in the dollar store) and put 1/3 on bottom of flat casserole dish.

Next add on layer of eggplant.

Then one layer of cheese.

Sprinkle cheese w/parmesan cheese - if you can afford it add some mozzarella to it.

Continue layering until casserole plate is full and be sure to end with the parmesan cheese.

Cook in microwave until eggplant is soft and the mixture is hot and bubbly.

Pork chops:

Pork chops are easily cooked on top of the stove.  Brown and then add french onion soup mix.  Put lid on pan (a plate if you don't have a lid) and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.

Ham:

Ham can be cooked in many ways.  Buy a cut you can afford - you can even make a meal out of one slice.

Southern favorite - Ham, grits (or cream of wheat) and red-eye gravy.

Fry ham in frying pan with a small amount of vegetable oil.  When light brown on all sides, add 1/2 cup of coffee (red eye gravy).

Serve on top of grits or cream of wheat - top off w/gravy.

Really cheap meal:

Ramen noodles topped off w/sauted vegetables.

Macaroni and cheese topped off with sliced hot dogs.

Hot dogs.

Hamburgers.

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Tuna salad.

Can of corned beef mixed w/chopped, boiled eggs and sweet pickle relish - add chopped onions if you like.

I hope this helps.

jl4ever

January 18, 2007, 12:32 pm CST

money saving tip

Join freecycle.com.

There you can post what you wanna give away and also look at what others are giving away.

Be aware though no one that obtains stuff on freecycle.org will be on Antiques Roadshow... Freecycle is more like "one man's trash is another one's treasure."

Pearl

January 26, 2007, 9:16 am CST

student,s problems

.....I know that some of u guys are students and they will understand what the financial problems mean . i'm 20 years old student in the faculty of engineering facing difficulties with spending the money

as it  should be enough for whole month. could u plz tell me some tricks to handle this

thank u all

January 26, 2007, 9:27 am CST

Money Saving Tips and Tricks

Quote From: pearlhanna

Join freecycle.com.

There you can post what you wanna give away and also look at what others are giving away.

Be aware though no one that obtains stuff on freecycle.org will be on Antiques Roadshow... Freecycle is more like "one man's trash is another one's treasure."

Pearl

I have one question i'd like to ask u about the website u have posted . is it possible to sell my own stuff and buy new ones ?  thank you

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next | Last