Message Boards

Topic : 09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Number of Replies: 2174
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 07, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The Dr. Phil show is kicking off its sixth season, so buckle up because Dr. Phil is coming at you with intensity! This year, he tackles the news stories that impact you – from celebrity meltdowns to school tragedies. He delivers the news to you as it breaks on a revolutionary, high-tech news platform that will change the way you stay informed! Today, he exposes a deadly trend that’s sweeping the nation: driving while sending text messages. Between Blackberrys and cell phones, Americans have a harder and harder time keeping their eyes on the road, but with teens, the problem is even worse. Seventeen-year-old Chelsea averages 5,000 text messages a month and insists that she can text while driving a stick shift. What will it take for her to put the brakes on her dangerous hobby? Plus, Patrick killed a man while texting and driving, and he’s still living with guilt. Will his tragic story be a wake-up call for Chelsea? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 10, 2007, 7:09 am CDT

Smash the stupid phone

Not only should the mother take her phone away and smash it in front of her, but she should take her driving priviledges away. The girl should go to a safe driving school.  I'll lay dollars to donuts that the mother gives the phone back. 

September 10, 2007, 7:10 am CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Quote From: lynanns

Apparently you haven't learned as much as you thought, that "silly finger wave" is a special wave to his wife Robin!  I think we all know what - or who is "rather annoying and juvenile" !
If I remember correctly, the "silly finger wave" is Dr. Phil waving to his wife in the audience.  I like it.

September 10, 2007, 7:12 am CDT

texting while driving

what is the mom thinking? Why would she even hesitate taking the phone away. It should have been done awhile ago. I might even consider taking the car away. She's only had her license 4 months and has a ticket - 80 in a 55 and several near misses. I don't think she is mature enough to even be driving. I have 3 children: 18, 17 and 9. Both of my teenage boys have prepaid cell phones that they pay for. Because they use it so much they never have any minutes on them so they may as well not have them. My point is WE'VE SURVIVED!! Many of my daughter's 9 and 10 yr old friends have them and she begs for one. I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE!!! KIDS DO NOT NEED TO BE CONNECTED 24/7. There were no cell phones when we were kids. WE SURVIVED. Come on mom, she's not mature enough to handle the situation.

concerned mom

September 10, 2007, 7:14 am CDT

wow!!!

This young lady needs a wake up call everything she said was very selfish. If i were in her mom's shoes i would give her two choices: 1. take the phone so she can't text and drive or 2. tell her she can text but not drive and i would drive her everywwhere. she does not deserve to have the right to drive, every time she gets in the car she is putting me and my family at risk, how childish.

September 10, 2007, 7:14 am CDT

texting while driving

We are able to block texting from our phone service.  None of our phones are able to receive text messeages.  We have Alltel.  Perhaps blocking texting would help, and allow the teens to keep their phones for emergency purposes.  Although I believe talking on the phone while driving is just as dangerous.

September 10, 2007, 7:16 am CDT

Chelsey needs to be checked

Quote From: drendo1

Chelsey doesn't need to have her cell phone taken.  She needs to have her car taken away.  She is too immature to be driving

I say give the spoiled brat her phone and a bus pass.If mom is not strong enough to take the phone away,

because she wants to be her daughter's friend. Then if anything bad happens both ,of them should be in jail. I really wanted to jump through the tv screen, and smack them both.

September 10, 2007, 7:18 am CDT

Virtual Driving Test

The virtual test while texting was interesting.  It would have been better if they had done the test without texting first.  Then there would have been something to compare her driving against and she might have seen the difference.

September 10, 2007, 7:19 am CDT

driving and texting

I am actually blown away by how selfish and spoiled this girl is.  And her mother doesn't seem to even notice.  So she "got sick" without her phone?   PULEEEASE!    She'll get over it.  She should have to do some volunteering at an ER somewhere and see what happens to people who don't pay attention while driving.  I think having a phone for true emergencies is important - especially for young girls in today's world.  But she doesn't need to have the texting capabilities and she COULD have a phone with emergency numbers enabled only.  That way she could be dialing and talking while driving either!

September 10, 2007, 7:23 am CDT

Billy Mays -- Wait! There's More!

Hey, Dr. Phil.  I like you. I like Robin.  I like your show.  When you get excited about a show you sound like Billy Mays .   I keep expecting you to say, "Wait! There's more!"  Could you go back to your normal voice? Please.

September 10, 2007, 7:23 am CDT

OK, don't take her phone - TAKE HER CAR!!

I just watched the premiere of season 6 about texting while driving.  I was absolutely horrified to learn that not only is there one self-centered teen but many self-centered teens out there who are willing to take my life (and my family's) in their hands in order to keep up with trivial day to day occurances (and yes, they are trivial).  Far more horrifying is that there is a mother out there that is spineless enough to allow their daughter to continue to operate a motor vehicle!!  I was always taught (as most adults are) that driving a car was a priviledge not a right given only to those who can show the maturity and responsibility involved in such a potentially dangerous activity. My feeling is, obviously, Chelsey doesn't contain the responsibility or the level of maturity it takes to operate such a dangerous machine.  Let her stick to a less dangerous machine like say, HER PHONE!  And TAKE THE CAR!! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last