Message Boards

Topic : 09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Number of Replies: 2174
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 07, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The Dr. Phil show is kicking off its sixth season, so buckle up because Dr. Phil is coming at you with intensity! This year, he tackles the news stories that impact you – from celebrity meltdowns to school tragedies. He delivers the news to you as it breaks on a revolutionary, high-tech news platform that will change the way you stay informed! Today, he exposes a deadly trend that’s sweeping the nation: driving while sending text messages. Between Blackberrys and cell phones, Americans have a harder and harder time keeping their eyes on the road, but with teens, the problem is even worse. Seventeen-year-old Chelsea averages 5,000 text messages a month and insists that she can text while driving a stick shift. What will it take for her to put the brakes on her dangerous hobby? Plus, Patrick killed a man while texting and driving, and he’s still living with guilt. Will his tragic story be a wake-up call for Chelsea? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 10, 2007, 6:42 am CDT

texting while driving...

I am a teen who occasionally texts while im driving. If i was a parent of a teen who was texting while driving, i would take the texting plan off of the phone. Not take the whole phone away...or maybe the car or the liscence.

September 10, 2007, 6:49 am CDT

09/10 Season 6 Premiere!

Peoples' cell-phone addictions amaze me.  I don't even leave my cell on unless I'm actually expecting someone to call or unless I think I may need it for safety reasons (if I'm out late, etc.).  You can get me either at work or at home; you don't need to get me in the car, at the store, on a walk, etc.

We had a client at one of my old jobs who was talking on a cell phone and ran her SUV into the back end of a flatbed tow truck, killing one of her four-year-old twin daughters.  When you look at it from that perspective, very, very, few things are "emergencies" enough to risk peoples' lives. 

September 10, 2007, 6:50 am CDT

Text Messaging

This is a no brainer....take her license away. If she can't control herself on the cell phone, take the car away and you don't have problem....

September 10, 2007, 6:50 am CDT

Sick and Tired

of these wimpy parents who have no business having children!!!!!!!!! It's ridiculous! Take the phone and the car! She gets "mad"-so what?  And she better not get "mad" in my house!  Wake up people! Get a backbone. SMDH

September 10, 2007, 6:51 am CDT

CRAZY JUST CRAZY...

Here in Australia, it's AGAINST the LAW to use your moblie/cell phone while driving.

That's means NO texting, NO talking, NO taking photo's etc. If you get caught by the police you will get booked. There are big costly fines as well.

Everyone should from the moment they get in their car, turn their phone off and not turn them back on till you have reached where you are going.

There is such a thing as voice mail or message bank! So why not use that!

If you can't handle not talking on your phone for how ever long it takes you to drive to where you're going, then take the train or bus, atleast you will not be behind the wheel!

September 10, 2007, 6:58 am CDT

texting while driving

I just saw the show about texting while driving. I think Chelsea's mom just need to take the

''''CAR''', away.. Let her test when she wants..she is more of a danger on the road and does

NOT need to be on the road. PLEASE MOM...TAKE HER KEYS, DRIVER'S LICENSE AND CAR

AND GET THE GIRL OFF THE ROAD.

Sometimes taking a car hurts worse than taking a phone. They can go get another phone, but

a car is a different story.

Please help make all of us safer, while we are out there, get your daughter off the roads.

Thank- you.

September 10, 2007, 7:01 am CDT

Scares the living Crap out of me!

I saw your show today about the teenager who is text messaging while she drives.  I don't feel that taking her cell phone away is the correct punishment.  Her mother should take her drivers license away or if she has her own car, take that away.  The other option would be is to give her daughter a cell phone that does not have text messaging capabilities.  My daughter is 18 years old and she does not have her drivers license because she is afraid to drive.  There are so many accidents happening in the world that involve teen drivers. 

September 10, 2007, 7:01 am CDT

texting and driving!!!!! are you kidding me???

Last I knew driving was considered a priviledge, and something that should be earned as a teenager...... what about taking away the car instead of the cell phone, whether it's her car that she paid for or may not have paid for, she is a "minor" in her mother's house, and until she can proves she is grown up enough to earn the "priviledge" back, i say "take away the car keys".   If that were my daughter, you better believe she would not be driving while she lived in my house...... and all I have to say to this young lady is it's time to grow up and act like the responsible person you want everyone to believe you are.

September 10, 2007, 7:03 am CDT

Parents - Just block the Texting

If parents don't want to completely take away their kids phones for safety reasons, the easy option is to just have your cell phone provider block texting to the kids' phone number!  My brother's 15 yo went over 500 text messages in one month (not even close to Chelsea's 5000!) and my brother went right to his provider and put a block on her text messages.  She still has her phone, but now she actually has to talk to people!

Please, please - parents - don't wait to do this.  My life and my own child's life depend on it!

September 10, 2007, 7:06 am CDT

Text

I can't believe the mother. She is letting this go on. She should have taken the phone away when she first got a ticket, or accident. If the mother is worried about her daughter not having a phone while she is driving there are phone plans that you can get without text messaging. I can't believe how selfish the daughter is, but I guess when you have a mother like that then you can get away with anything you want. It should be a law in the US not to text while driving.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last