Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 3, 2006, 2:53 am CST

Fear of flying

I've had a fear of flying for over 20 years now.  Actually I'm pretty sure claustophobia plays a big part in my phobias as elevators, subways, tunnels, bridges etc. use to throw me into an immediate panic attack.  I've driven through tunnels, rode elevators and my anxiety over the years has lessened.  By the thought of going onto a plane, and having those doors shut on me just totally freaks me out.  I invision my self on that plane banging on the doors to let me out and having a major panic attack.  I realize that I have overcome a lot of my smaller anxieties but the plane is a biggie!  I'm not afraid of crashing, I'm afraid that when I start to panic - I can't get out!  I've been told to try to fly just a short flight  - see what happens....  Unless you can guarantee me that my tranquilizers will completely stop the extreme panic from happening (which of course nobody can) - I can't fathom geting on that plane!  My marriage is in jeopardy from this phobia, yes I know phobias are unrealistic and that you won't die from a phobia, I've done more rsearch that you can imagine, have been in Cognitive therapy but can't seem to get over this one.  Any ideas??? 

February 4, 2006, 10:42 am CST

social phobia

I am 30 years old.  for Probably 20 years (maybe more) I have been living with social phobia.  When I was a kid, I didn't know I had social phobia, people told me 'you are shy'.  For years I thought this was what being shy was like.  Finally i was diagnosed with social phobia.   

I don't mind going out in public, it is just when it comes to talking to other people I have the trouble.  Because of my phobia I have not had many friends, so I am not good at small talk, talking with people.  whenever I have to talk to people I don,t know I freeze.  My heart races, I stutter, my stomach gets in a knot.  I can't think of what to say sometimes and then I panic.  I always worry what do I say, what if I don't know the answer (to a question), and that makes it worse. 

I am tired of living like this, but I don't know how to change :(  does anybody know anything I can do to try to get better. 

ps- I live in a small town, we only have one psychiatrist and she wasn't much help she just told me about some breathing exercises. 

nat 

February 6, 2006, 4:49 am CST

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: nat7512

I am 30 years old.  for Probably 20 years (maybe more) I have been living with social phobia.  When I was a kid, I didn't know I had social phobia, people told me 'you are shy'.  For years I thought this was what being shy was like.  Finally i was diagnosed with social phobia.   

I don't mind going out in public, it is just when it comes to talking to other people I have the trouble.  Because of my phobia I have not had many friends, so I am not good at small talk, talking with people.  whenever I have to talk to people I don,t know I freeze.  My heart races, I stutter, my stomach gets in a knot.  I can't think of what to say sometimes and then I panic.  I always worry what do I say, what if I don't know the answer (to a question), and that makes it worse. 

I am tired of living like this, but I don't know how to change :(  does anybody know anything I can do to try to get better. 

ps- I live in a small town, we only have one psychiatrist and she wasn't much help she just told me about some breathing exercises. 

nat 

I have been suffering social phobias my entire life. Please feel free to email me - mindless_leader@hotmail.com 

I, too, was told that I was just "shy." Now I know better. And I'll be watching for the same kind of "shyness" in my children. The earlier we catch social phobias, the quicker we can begin to heal. 

There is also another poster who runs a CBT course, or something. She (he?) can probably help. Just look back a few posts and you'll see something there for you to check out. 

February 6, 2006, 11:07 am CST

How about trying this

Quote From: sandy0914

I've had a fear of flying for over 20 years now.  Actually I'm pretty sure claustophobia plays a big part in my phobias as elevators, subways, tunnels, bridges etc. use to throw me into an immediate panic attack.  I've driven through tunnels, rode elevators and my anxiety over the years has lessened.  By the thought of going onto a plane, and having those doors shut on me just totally freaks me out.  I invision my self on that plane banging on the doors to let me out and having a major panic attack.  I realize that I have overcome a lot of my smaller anxieties but the plane is a biggie!  I'm not afraid of crashing, I'm afraid that when I start to panic - I can't get out!  I've been told to try to fly just a short flight  - see what happens....  Unless you can guarantee me that my tranquilizers will completely stop the extreme panic from happening (which of course nobody can) - I can't fathom geting on that plane!  My marriage is in jeopardy from this phobia, yes I know phobias are unrealistic and that you won't die from a phobia, I've done more rsearch that you can imagine, have been in Cognitive therapy but can't seem to get over this one.  Any ideas??? 
I also have similar problems. It is not really the fear of flying, but having to sit in a confined space. I haven't flown also for 10 years now. I am starting a new form of therapy called EMDR. You can look it up on the internet. I hope it works for me, the first session is next week. Who knows maybe I will be able to take a long flight to australia after 30 years and see all my family. Lots of luck with your search. Skip

February 7, 2006, 3:48 am CST

Thanks

Quote From: buidel

I also have similar problems. It is not really the fear of flying, but having to sit in a confined space. I haven't flown also for 10 years now. I am starting a new form of therapy called EMDR. You can look it up on the internet. I hope it works for me, the first session is next week. Who knows maybe I will be able to take a long flight to australia after 30 years and see all my family. Lots of luck with your search. Skip
Hi Skip,  Thanks for your message.  Let me know how your sessions turn out, in the mean time - I'll start doing my research on EMDR.      Sandy

February 7, 2006, 10:31 am CST

Fears and Phobias

I have a fear of flying.  I flew alot when i was younger with no problem.  Over the past 4 yrs i have been through alot of addiction, which i feel made me paranoid.  Now i cant fly at all.  I was suppose to visit a friend in pa. she bought the plane ticket and everything, she had everything set up , it was great and i felt good about it, all i had to do was show up.  I got on the plane, sat down and got like a panic attack, so i had to get off the plane before i got sicker.  It was so embarassing.  How could i get over this fear?

February 7, 2006, 11:32 am CST

Stupid Phobias

I am 21 years old and have had a fear of vomitting for at least the past 12 years.  I've spent these years terrified that I'll get the stomach flu, food poisoning, etc. Its great because I dont ever over eat - but instead under eat - which leads to my next phobia - fainting.  I consider myself to be a very rational, smart, person. But these phobias have made me miss out on many events and relationships.  I am so afraid of vomitting that I dont eat any chicken or food near its expiry date.  I never try new foods. I bleach everything, wash my hands 20 times a day, do anything to keep myself from getting sick...also... 

In the past 6 months I've become afraid I'll faint - but I don't know why.  I've started skipping classes (i'm in my final year of university), calling in sick to work, not going out in public (malls, church etc).  I used to love shopping, my jobs, school etc. But now I'm so afraid I'll faint and will attract attention and be so embarassed that I just stopped doing all those things.  Its jeopordizing my relationships - friends think i've become a slacker at school, my parents don't like that I'm skipping church all the time.  Thoughts like "what if I faint right now?" and "who will help me? who will call 911? will anybody notice me or will I wake up here alone in a few hours?" plague my mind.  

Anybody have any suggestions?  The thought of graduation and being around all those people is terrifying me...even more scary is the thought of having to get a job and being around those people all the time...some days I think that if I were not alive it would be so less stressful...but i'm NOT suicidal - don't worry.  

February 7, 2006, 11:41 am CST

I feel the same way

Quote From: ajhoney6

I have been struggling the past year with emetophobia. It has been the worst year of my life. In the past year i graduated high school, all my friends moved away to colleges, broke up with my boyfriend of about three years, and tried starting college, on top of all of that i feel sick to my stomach every day because of my fear of throwing up. I have tried everything i can to feel better. I have been seeing a councelor, tried two different medications, cognitive behavior therapy, and nothing seems to cure me. Sure the medications help at times, but i cannot live the life i want to. I am constantly thinking and worrying about throwing up that i make myself feel naucious, i think anyone would feel that way if they were constantly focusing on it, but i cant make myself stop. I will leave class, work, i wont go out with my friends, and when i sit at home i will just count the hours untill i can go to sleep and put myself out of my missory. I can't concentrate on anything else, like school work. I failed 3 of my classes first semester, and passed one with a C because i had that class everyday and was able to make it enough to pass. I just don't know what to do anymore. I haven't actually thrown up since i was in 1st grade. I don't know what its like except for that i hated it, its extreamly unpleasent, and it has turned into a full blown fear for me. I have lost about 15 pounds all together because when i feel sick, which is just about all the time, i wont eat. I am losing hope and am just looking for someone to talk to who could relate, give me advice, or anything. I feel so alone and don't know anyone else who has had something like this. It makes me feel like i am weird and different. I used to be so happy, loved life so much, and i want my life back so bad. So this is just my cry for help! Thanks for taking the time for reading about my life and if anyone could help or relate it would be very much appreciated! Thanks, Ali

Hello Ali, 

I can't help you - but I suffer the same phobia.  I despise going out to eat and havent enjoyed eating anything in my life. I eat just enough to not feel hungry and then stop.  I'm 5'9 and have weighed between 100 and 120lbs.  I spend each day avoiding situations that could make me sick - ex. long car rides, planes, roller coasters - all things that I would enjoy if not plagued by my fear of vomitting. I havent vomitted in 12 years - but the fear is so strong that I wonder which is worse? feeling sick 24/7 or actually just throwing up once in a while and not worrying about it.  I'm 21, never drink because i feel that i might be sick.  I'll keep looking for help to our problem....and just make it one day at a time....we can do it.... 

February 7, 2006, 11:45 am CST

Take action now

Quote From: lilxtc24

I have a fear of flying.  I flew alot when i was younger with no problem.  Over the past 4 yrs i have been through alot of addiction, which i feel made me paranoid.  Now i cant fly at all.  I was suppose to visit a friend in pa. she bought the plane ticket and everything, she had everything set up , it was great and i felt good about it, all i had to do was show up.  I got on the plane, sat down and got like a panic attack, so i had to get off the plane before i got sicker.  It was so embarassing.  How could i get over this fear?
Hi - I've had many many phobias for 20 years now.  I've conquered them all but fear of flying. I've had more panic attacks than I can count.  Medication and behavioral therapy have helped me .  In regards to my fear of flying (I had a panic attack on a flight home 20 years ago)  What I should have done was taken the next flight out!  Instead I let it fester in my brain for 20 years and now I have some SERIOUS work to do.  Phobias are not real and they can be overcome, they're just irrational thinking.  You can't die from a phobia.  Use your search engine and search 'fear of flying".  There are so many sites that can help you and direct you as to where to go for help.  I'm in therapy now for it but I think had I worked on this 20 years ago - I would not have 20 years of bad thoughts to overcome!

February 7, 2006, 11:48 am CST

Look at this site

Quote From: lilxtc24

Go to www.CTRN.com - it's full of info about phobias...

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | Next | Last