Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 27, 2006, 5:20 pm CST

NEED HELP WITH MY MOM!!!

Hello to all of you!!! Im in desperate need for my mother. She has a phobia of going out of town. She lives in Crockett, Tx which is in East Texas, a very small town that doesnt have much of anything in it.  She was in a really bad car accident when she was in high school and wasnt expected to live. Since then she has gone out of town a few times, but not much and the last time I remember is almost 5 years ago. She didnot attend my wedding or the birth of my first 2 children , the 3rd I had in Crockett. My brother was stationed in San Diego in the marines and she was not able to attend his graduation with the rest of the family because of this phobia. My sister was killed in a car accident almost  years ago and I think that has alot to do with it also. When she begins to go out of town ...even like 10 miles...she begins to have a panic attack and cannot breathe. I would love to talk to Dr. Phil about this problem and get help for her so we can at least take the women shopping. She buys everything online!!!! My oldest niece lives with her and is a freshman in high school . Shes a cheerleader and is currently on the golf team so will be traveling out of town for that. I know there is no way in possible hell I could get this women to the Dr. Phil show, but maybe I could get some advice here. She also will not take ANY kind of medication. Tylenol is even out of the question when she has a major headache. She has a phobia about medicine too....DR. Phil...can  you please help me get my mom out of the sticks??????? Thank you ...Kim

January 29, 2006, 6:37 am CST

Re; Tired Of Being Scared

Quote From: tjonesjax

I am a 32 year old married woman with two small children and I am suffering from what I believe is social anxiety. I have been diagnosed with essential tremor and nervous tics and the embarrassment of it is overwhelming, especially since I used to be such a social person. I have not worked in 4 years and feel like I am a prisoner in my own home. My children are suffering from my disorders and I began to drink, now I believe that is out of control and making the situation worse. My husband does not understand and says that my shaking and tics are all in my head. Anyone have any advice or been in the same situation. I feel like I am loosing my mind. 

Need help ........T 

Hi T, 

Click on my user name to go to my profile for information and my e-mail address.  

Good luck 

Pat 

January 29, 2006, 11:33 am CST

Fear of having done something bad

I am 25 and I suffer from intense panick attacks. It started 5 years ago and i got treatment. It went away but sometime I relapse. My problem is that I get an intense feeling of not being able to breathe. Right after than my brain thinks of things to make my feel bad or justify the feeling in my chest. My biggest issue is that i start feeling guilty over silly things. Things that when i am not panicky don't matter as much. An example is when I was dating my husband 6 years ago and we broke up breifly I date another guy (never had sex or anything) but i can't help feeling that I was wrong to do so even though he broke up with me. Then i start thinking "what if i am a bad person" "what if i snap one day like all those people on TV and do something bad" and needless to say it goes downhill from there. All these thought intensify anxiety and so on. I was wondering why is it always the guilt thing with me? I know other people get OCD and other people get fear of something bad happening to them, why is my fear geared toward guilt so much. And i only feel guilt toward the person i am with the most time, namely my husband. It happens when i am not working. I have been between jobs lately and it happened and it was very intense. I just hate that feeling of having done something bad...when i know i havent really. I am just another girl trying to make sense of this world. Any advice? Any other people suffering the same way? Is this considered GAD? And how else can i attack it other than taking Xanax etc? What do i do when i want to have kids and i can't take any medicine? Please help.

January 29, 2006, 4:23 pm CST

Fear of Throwing up!

I have been struggling the past year with emetophobia. It has been the worst year of my life. In the past year i graduated high school, all my friends moved away to colleges, broke up with my boyfriend of about three years, and tried starting college, on top of all of that i feel sick to my stomach every day because of my fear of throwing up. I have tried everything i can to feel better. I have been seeing a councelor, tried two different medications, cognitive behavior therapy, and nothing seems to cure me. Sure the medications help at times, but i cannot live the life i want to. I am constantly thinking and worrying about throwing up that i make myself feel naucious, i think anyone would feel that way if they were constantly focusing on it, but i cant make myself stop. I will leave class, work, i wont go out with my friends, and when i sit at home i will just count the hours untill i can go to sleep and put myself out of my missory. I can't concentrate on anything else, like school work. I failed 3 of my classes first semester, and passed one with a C because i had that class everyday and was able to make it enough to pass. I just don't know what to do anymore. I haven't actually thrown up since i was in 1st grade. I don't know what its like except for that i hated it, its extreamly unpleasent, and it has turned into a full blown fear for me. I have lost about 15 pounds all together because when i feel sick, which is just about all the time, i wont eat. I am losing hope and am just looking for someone to talk to who could relate, give me advice, or anything. I feel so alone and don't know anyone else who has had something like this. It makes me feel like i am weird and different. I used to be so happy, loved life so much, and i want my life back so bad. So this is just my cry for help! Thanks for taking the time for reading about my life and if anyone could help or relate it would be very much appreciated! Thanks, Ali

January 29, 2006, 7:47 pm CST

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: ajhoney6

I have been struggling the past year with emetophobia. It has been the worst year of my life. In the past year i graduated high school, all my friends moved away to colleges, broke up with my boyfriend of about three years, and tried starting college, on top of all of that i feel sick to my stomach every day because of my fear of throwing up. I have tried everything i can to feel better. I have been seeing a councelor, tried two different medications, cognitive behavior therapy, and nothing seems to cure me. Sure the medications help at times, but i cannot live the life i want to. I am constantly thinking and worrying about throwing up that i make myself feel naucious, i think anyone would feel that way if they were constantly focusing on it, but i cant make myself stop. I will leave class, work, i wont go out with my friends, and when i sit at home i will just count the hours untill i can go to sleep and put myself out of my missory. I can't concentrate on anything else, like school work. I failed 3 of my classes first semester, and passed one with a C because i had that class everyday and was able to make it enough to pass. I just don't know what to do anymore. I haven't actually thrown up since i was in 1st grade. I don't know what its like except for that i hated it, its extreamly unpleasent, and it has turned into a full blown fear for me. I have lost about 15 pounds all together because when i feel sick, which is just about all the time, i wont eat. I am losing hope and am just looking for someone to talk to who could relate, give me advice, or anything. I feel so alone and don't know anyone else who has had something like this. It makes me feel like i am weird and different. I used to be so happy, loved life so much, and i want my life back so bad. So this is just my cry for help! Thanks for taking the time for reading about my life and if anyone could help or relate it would be very much appreciated! Thanks, Ali

I have suffered myself with a different problem that relates to yours a little bit. I suffer from the thought that i could do something bad and it makes me feel bad. I don't want to think like that either. I am also pron to guilt a lot. Over nothing, i feel so much guilt it makes me sick. I think your obssesive thoughts about throwing up are just another form of anxiety. 

I am not over my problems yet but i am trying. Try medications... it can help. Like medication for depression can raise you seretonin levels or at least fix the way they work in your head. Talk to a doctor. Try homeppathic remedies or natural cures. Try reading books... do you have any other signs of anxiety? I know this sounds too much for you right now but what if you actually threw up? It could not kill you and it would teach your mind to stop worrying about it. Just a thought. I know you say you have tried a lot of stuff but most people quit therapy as soon as the road gets rocky...did you actually finish your treatment? Well, know that there are a lot of people out there that have anxieties, maybe not over the same thing but it is all the same problem. Write back. I wish you all th ebest. And my friend, anything humans create can be destroyed .... what i am trying to say what id done can be undone so never give up hope.  

January 31, 2006, 4:31 pm CST

Anxiety

Quote From: maria148

I am 25 and I suffer from intense panick attacks. It started 5 years ago and i got treatment. It went away but sometime I relapse. My problem is that I get an intense feeling of not being able to breathe. Right after than my brain thinks of things to make my feel bad or justify the feeling in my chest. My biggest issue is that i start feeling guilty over silly things. Things that when i am not panicky don't matter as much. An example is when I was dating my husband 6 years ago and we broke up breifly I date another guy (never had sex or anything) but i can't help feeling that I was wrong to do so even though he broke up with me. Then i start thinking "what if i am a bad person" "what if i snap one day like all those people on TV and do something bad" and needless to say it goes downhill from there. All these thought intensify anxiety and so on. I was wondering why is it always the guilt thing with me? I know other people get OCD and other people get fear of something bad happening to them, why is my fear geared toward guilt so much. And i only feel guilt toward the person i am with the most time, namely my husband. It happens when i am not working. I have been between jobs lately and it happened and it was very intense. I just hate that feeling of having done something bad...when i know i havent really. I am just another girl trying to make sense of this world. Any advice? Any other people suffering the same way? Is this considered GAD? And how else can i attack it other than taking Xanax etc? What do i do when i want to have kids and i can't take any medicine? Please help.

Hi,   

The good news is that anxiety disorders are a learned behavior.  My son believed he was "stupid" for his entire life, of 43 years.  He suffered severley from GAD and agoraphobia, and all he wanted to do was go to sleep and never wake.  Luckily about four years ago I bought a 20 tape CBT series for people suffering from social phobia.  It was produced by a psychologist who had suffered from social phobia for over 20 years, until he overcame it using CBT.   Six months ago my son was unemployable and seen no future.  He now is it partnership with a friend in the construction business, and loves his work.  I see no sign of him returning to the world of anxiety.  He not only overcame his anxiety, but now has the tools to be able to stop returning to this world of fear and anxiety.  For more info. click on my user name.  

January 31, 2006, 11:05 pm CST

fear of heights

I have a phobia of heights. i can not even go on the ferous wheel at the fair or I will puke.

February 1, 2006, 1:17 pm CST

Fear of sex crimes, and so-called "normal" feelings etc.

I was hoping that there was a thread already started about the show I am watching today but I guess this is a past show on a sindicated channel. These channels are a week or so behind the current show.  

Anyhow, there is a young woman who is afraid to be alone in her home and other situations because she fears rape and murder. She is engaged to be married and she fears the cruise ship and the "third world" nations for the trip's ports of call.  

Considering the national headlines we have had these last few years, can anyone really blame her for having a fear that she will be next? Man, these cruise ships have policies of looking the other way when someone goes missing for fear that crime will be bad for business. I think it would cost too much to make the ships secure and and report each incident because they would be taking responsibility for each incident.  As it is, there are many dozens of people missing right now and these cruise lines (who for the most part are not bound by US laws, much to the surprise of the victim's families) and there are teens by the dozens that foolishly engage in sex talk with strangers over message boards that are supposed to be anonymous but the teens end up disclosing enough information to be traced by the predators. There are 2 local 15 year old teens right now that ran away (according to their parents)  and allegedly they have left messages on the board (myspace.com) saying they are "ok". It seems to me that they must have been playing dangerously and as I said, revealing enough info for the predator to find them. The predator then logs in on either the account of the victim or a "throw away" account and then leaves a misleading posting that is intended to lead the family to think they ran away to a new life and to leave them alone to pursue happiness. Of course this is ridiculous as well. 

The point I am making is that with so many things changing our culture and the way we lead our lives, there have been plenty of changes that predators have been able to take advantage of. I believe that any subculture of people look to themselves for support and I have seen groups of men that share information on how to target women to persuade them to engage in sex acts. The objective is to use any means of deception or literally anything goes in order to get them to give in and then the male moves on. They keep score and so many of them I suppose they use the numbers to foolthemselves in to thinking of themselves as a success. Keep in mind the last group I mentioned are not doing anything illegal. Now take those same behaviors and add the element of having a set of values that says it is ok to break the law when you are not caught. Now you have a group of men sharing ideas on how to date rape, including which drugs function the best etc.  

The very thought of these issues makes me sick. I had alread decided years ago that I would fight these demonic behaviors whenever I could. I was reminded of this today when watching the show and the young woman explained her fear. Now, I think she has more going on than even she realizes. I bet she had something happen she she can't remember. Only recently did I figure out what the trigger was for me. I am 42 this year and last year I remembered my reaction to a film I saw as a pre-teen. It was called "The Legend of Billy Jack" (I think). The film was about a school with hippies that went to a reservation to pursue freedom and artistic expression. That message was way over my head at the time because i was too young to understand how these kids would have felt repressed. What I saw was a bunch of kind-hearted kids that got together in a school and the local "brats" or "jock" that were spoiled by their parents. The leader of the brat pack had a convertible Corvette (again, this is all from memory about 30 years ago). The teacher of the school was a pretty women of about 25 and she tried to stand up to the kids that were picking on her students. This got the brat pack leader angry and near the climax of the film, the leader and 3 of his friends isolated the teacher and raped her. The was depicted very vividly and I found out years later that this film slipped through the ratings board somehow as an "NC-17) I think and setting all of this aside, the point I am making is that this event even portrayed as fiction was extremely disturbing and tramatic. As I matured through my teen years, I was always very respectful of women and their need to be protected from other men who might be predators. I never understood why I was more sensitive and protective than the others I observed. The thing I have learned through these past 30 years is that I think if more people had my protective instincts, a lot fewer women would be victims of rape and abuse. In general, the worst problem here is that if we assume we can't compell criminals to do anything we don't restrain them from doing the biggest factor that we have control over is the way *the rest of us* protect those that need protection. 

The yougn woman that had fears of being raped was not the irrational one. The irrational attitudes were those that wanted her to just "get over it" and act as if these crimes don't happen every day! Every day, students get abused,  young girls get molested, college students get raped and molested either with or without the use of drugs, etc. Sex crimes are at an epidemic rate. I don't care that statistically they are more or less the way it has always been. That is because it has been a problem since the beginning of time. What is unique is that in this day and age, with mass communication and means of reporting and tracking (TV, newspapers and computers) we are in a position to share information and finally take a stand against this. Instead, most people have a "so what" attitude and I beleive this young woman is seeing things the way I do except that instead of being in a position to do somehting about it, she is feeling exposed.  

What I hope to accomplish by posting this is that I would like ot encourage anyone who saw this segment on the show and or anyone reading this is let's try to take steps to make women safer instead of telling them that maybe they are not normal to feel afraid of becoming the next victim. Let's focus of real solutions until the "canary in the coal mine" tells us that she feels safer. Let's not TELL her to feel safe, let's INSPIRE her to feel safe. 

--Chris, 42 yo male in California 

February 1, 2006, 6:10 pm CST

Scared to drive.

I am not sure if I really need to be posting this on this board or if I need to go to another board. But anyways! Last June my husband, our son, and I was involved in a head on crash. We were in an F-350 (my husband driving) when a F-550 came into our lane and hit us head on. My head went into the windshield, and I spent the night in the hospital. Well, I have never gotten around to getting my license ( I have had my permit for about 3 years now) or learn how to drive. Ever since the wreck I avoid getting into vehicles and when I have to get into one I always look down at my feet or out the window and "go into my own little world" ignoring everything else. I am afraid of driving, just the mere though of driving scares me to death. I could have died in the wreck but God let me live, now I am too afraid to drive or to be in a car (especially trucks), how can I get over this to where I can take my son to his check ups and visit my family and friends when my husband is at work?? I thought about going and getting therapy for it but I am not sure if that is necessary. Can anyone help me??
Thank you!

February 1, 2006, 10:11 pm CST

Afraid to sleep at night for fear someone will break in

I feel absolutely embarrassed and ashamed to admit at 40 years of age I am terrified to go to sleep. I am so afraid that someone is going to break in. I have put alrams on the windows and check the locks constantly. I leave several lights on throughout the house so that "the bad people" will know someone is here an up. I have two small children so there is no sleeping in the day except for nap time which is 2 hours. It is difficult to function on 2 hours of sleep each day. The fear started when my husband would have to be gone overnight I could not sleep because I was terrified someone wold come in but I never had any problems other than that but now for the past month it has escalated to not sleeping whether he is home or not. My husband keeps telling me with each new day see no one came in but all I can think of is how the people that have had someone break in had all those nights with nothing happening and then bam it happened. I feel if I stay awake and someone tries to come in I will at least have a chance. I can't seem to get past the thought of I may be losing all these nights now and living in fear but at least it is better than having someone come in and kill me. I just feel I have to be prepared and the alarms and locks don't seem to be enough. I don't think I can talk to a therapist because I don't see how the fear is going to go away since there truly is a chance that it will happen. Please if anyone can help I would truly appreciate it. Also I am brand new here and am not  familiar with the boards I hope I will be able to access any messages. Thanks.

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next | Last