Message Boards

Topic : Fears, Phobias and Anxiety Disorders

Number of Replies: 784
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 08:58:51 am
Author : dataimport
Do you have an irrational fear of flying, spiders, leaving your home, or one of a host of other fears? Do you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks? You're not alone. Join those who understand as we struggle to overcome our fears.

Anxiety Disorder Resources

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 22, 2006, 12:19 am CST

Anxiety ridden most of my life.

Hi,  My name is Cindy.  I have been dealing with anxiety issues all my life.  Unless you have dealt with anxiety you can never really understand how we feel.  I have been doing alot of research on the subject in the last couple years and I have came to the conclusion that there is no cure and no hope for me.  I am on Meds that help me deal with GAD'S, PA, and what ever else I have going on with me.  I am not a pill popping person but the meds have helped me live a normal life.  I know you get the likes of "Tom Cruise" at times telling you meds are not the way to go.  Trust me,  (I think I speak for most of the anxiety ridden people) Although meds are not your first choice in life, sometimes they do end up saving your life.    I have looked into meditation, exercise, changing diet, herbal remedys.  Although they can help (and some people can get away with out  having to take meds) there are people like me that need the meds.   

For anyone who is interested,  I have found a great forum (community forum) at EZBOARD.com that is a great help for me, (and for others on it)  People talk openly about anxiety issues,  share storries,  give thier advice, take your advice.  Its a group of people all trying to deal with a life ridden with anxiety issues.   NO I am not affiliated with the forum in any way,  besides being one of the lucky ones to have found it in thier search for help.    

I think the world is pretty ignorant towards people with  mental health issue,  which is sad.  There are alot of "normal" people out there that hide thier issues with anxiety, depression, etc...   Why?  Becouse just the word mental issue makes people run and hide.  They think Mental Issue is another word for crazy.   Not True!    I think the more that people talk about it,  The more that people know about it,  The more that people care can make a world of difference to combating the problem.   So for all you people out there who have fears, phobias,anxiety, panick attacks, bi polar, depression etc........  You are not alone.   Don't lock yourself in a closet,  Talk, read, ask, search, do what you have to do to help yourself.  It is manageable.  I'm living proof. :)   

January 22, 2006, 1:39 am CST

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: cynthial

Hi,  My name is Cindy.  I have been dealing with anxiety issues all my life.  Unless you have dealt with anxiety you can never really understand how we feel.  I have been doing alot of research on the subject in the last couple years and I have came to the conclusion that there is no cure and no hope for me.  I am on Meds that help me deal with GAD'S, PA, and what ever else I have going on with me.  I am not a pill popping person but the meds have helped me live a normal life.  I know you get the likes of "Tom Cruise" at times telling you meds are not the way to go.  Trust me,  (I think I speak for most of the anxiety ridden people) Although meds are not your first choice in life, sometimes they do end up saving your life.    I have looked into meditation, exercise, changing diet, herbal remedys.  Although they can help (and some people can get away with out  having to take meds) there are people like me that need the meds.   

For anyone who is interested,  I have found a great forum (community forum) at EZBOARD.com that is a great help for me, (and for others on it)  People talk openly about anxiety issues,  share storries,  give thier advice, take your advice.  Its a group of people all trying to deal with a life ridden with anxiety issues.   NO I am not affiliated with the forum in any way,  besides being one of the lucky ones to have found it in thier search for help.    

I think the world is pretty ignorant towards people with  mental health issue,  which is sad.  There are alot of "normal" people out there that hide thier issues with anxiety, depression, etc...   Why?  Becouse just the word mental issue makes people run and hide.  They think Mental Issue is another word for crazy.   Not True!    I think the more that people talk about it,  The more that people know about it,  The more that people care can make a world of difference to combating the problem.   So for all you people out there who have fears, phobias,anxiety, panick attacks, bi polar, depression etc........  You are not alone.   Don't lock yourself in a closet,  Talk, read, ask, search, do what you have to do to help yourself.  It is manageable.  I'm living proof. :)   

Hi Cindy,  

I notice that you say that GAD is not curable, and you take medication to resolve the symptoms.  It is my belief that all anxiety disorders can be overcome by using CBT.  I believe it is a learned behavior.  After 43 years of suffering from GAD and agoraphobia my son has overcome his anxiety using CBT.  Medication can be helpful to dull the symptoms of the illness, but I do not believe it will ever cure anxiety.  I believe that only reprogramming the mind to remove all the negative self-defeating garbage and replace it with the rational truth can you overcome anxiety.  I believe that CBT is the most effective way to do this.  For more info. click on my "user name" for my e-mail address.  

January 22, 2006, 3:42 am CST

Tom Cruise, bleh

Quote From: cynthial

I, for one, was seriously p.o.'d when Tom Cruise started blathering on and on, thinking he knows everything there is to know about post partum depression and psychology and whatnot. That man has a screw or two loose. (Probably more then two.) Keep in mind that this is a man who follows a religion that says that all of lifes problems are caused by toxins left in our bodies by alien invaders centuries and centuries ago. (Whew! Who's the crazy one?) A religion that was started by a science fiction writer who was quoted on one occasion as saying, "Why write for a penny a word when you can make millions starting your own religion!" And he did, too! 

I don't mean to offend any practicing Scientologists, but I think the whole thing is a hoax and full of brainwashing. So don't take anything Tom Cruise says to heart. That man is unbalanced, for sure. 

January 24, 2006, 4:24 am CST

panic attacks/ anxiety

Quote From: my_2angels

I, for one, was seriously p.o.'d when Tom Cruise started blathering on and on, thinking he knows everything there is to know about post partum depression and psychology and whatnot. That man has a screw or two loose. (Probably more then two.) Keep in mind that this is a man who follows a religion that says that all of lifes problems are caused by toxins left in our bodies by alien invaders centuries and centuries ago. (Whew! Who's the crazy one?) A religion that was started by a science fiction writer who was quoted on one occasion as saying, "Why write for a penny a word when you can make millions starting your own religion!" And he did, too! 

I don't mean to offend any practicing Scientologists, but I think the whole thing is a hoax and full of brainwashing. So don't take anything Tom Cruise says to heart. That man is unbalanced, for sure. 

i too suffered for many years with this problem but found a very helpful easy to understand book called "living with it" by bev asbitt its the first in a series that helps you to deal with these problems and although it seemed very child like at first i have come to realise that by this stage i was so on edge with my attacks that i couldnt have dealt with anything too technical. i can highly recommend them and i am pleased to say that after many years of trying to be better i finally am. 

hope that some one else find help from this 

good luck. 

January 24, 2006, 9:04 am CST

Claustraphobia

Hi!  I have ben reading everyones posts and it is reassuring to hear that other people can relate to how I feel.  Ever since I can remember I have been afraid of elevators and closed in places.  There are several life experiences that have triggered my anxiety so I know there was a cause.  Most of my life I have just dealt with my fear and when I was younger people were more understanding when I would flip out at the thought of getting on an elevator.  I started to deal with anxiety attacks and GAD about 3 0r 4 years ago after becoming completely burnt out at my job.  It was a tough time and I could see my life spiraling out of control.  I have been taking meds, started going back to church and did a bit of counselling and have been doing really well.  However my claustraphobia plagues me everywhere I go.  I have ignored it for a long tome but lately it has been affecting my job, as I cannot go anywhere that requires going past say the 8th floor(I would be exhauated form taking all the stairs) and anytime I go anywhere my first thought is what floor is it on.  I hate it.  Even the other day at the car wash both garage doors close while you are in the car wash and I started to think about being locked in there and how would I get out.  I would really like to overcome this it just seems hopeless. 

Leah 

January 25, 2006, 7:01 am CST

Tired of being scared....

I am a 32 year old married woman with two small children and I am suffering from what I believe is social anxiety. I have been diagnosed with essential tremor and nervous tics and the embarrassment of it is overwhelming, especially since I used to be such a social person. I have not worked in 4 years and feel like I am a prisoner in my own home. My children are suffering from my disorders and I began to drink, now I believe that is out of control and making the situation worse. My husband does not understand and says that my shaking and tics are all in my head. Anyone have any advice or been in the same situation. I feel like I am loosing my mind. 

Need help ........T 

January 25, 2006, 3:15 pm CST

Terrified of Car Accidents

I am 22 years old and have been in two very serious car accidents in my life. One was 4 years ago and the other was only a few months ago. The most recent was the worst and I was forced out of my lane onto the median (by some kid who was not watching as he was merging) I was forced onto the grassy median which caused my car to plunge into the other side of the highway crossing three lanes. Thankfully there was no on coming traffic on the other side of the road and I was fine. But, ever since this I have a huge huge huge fear of driving on high ways. I'm so scared of merging and of everyone else on the road I feel like I concentrate more on them than on my own driving. I get sweaty palms and my heart starts beating out of control when I have to get on the highway. I live in the Atlanta, GA area which is FULL of highways. If someone could please leave me some information on how to get over this fear of driving (or fear of other drivers plowing into me for that matter) it would help immensely. I have never had panic attacks before in my life and their presence after this accident is really unsettling. Thank you

January 26, 2006, 5:19 am CST

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: jessiesue

I am 22 years old and have been in two very serious car accidents in my life. One was 4 years ago and the other was only a few months ago. The most recent was the worst and I was forced out of my lane onto the median (by some kid who was not watching as he was merging) I was forced onto the grassy median which caused my car to plunge into the other side of the highway crossing three lanes. Thankfully there was no on coming traffic on the other side of the road and I was fine. But, ever since this I have a huge huge huge fear of driving on high ways. I'm so scared of merging and of everyone else on the road I feel like I concentrate more on them than on my own driving. I get sweaty palms and my heart starts beating out of control when I have to get on the highway. I live in the Atlanta, GA area which is FULL of highways. If someone could please leave me some information on how to get over this fear of driving (or fear of other drivers plowing into me for that matter) it would help immensely. I have never had panic attacks before in my life and their presence after this accident is really unsettling. Thank you
One thing that I always do when driving on a highway where there is merging- At on-ramps where I see cars merging, I pull over into the far lane. Once I'm past the on-ramp and merging traffic, I pull back into the other lane. If you can't do that (if there's traffic blocking you from changing lanes) just keep the car at a steady speed our a little faster. Take deep, calming breaths, and try to keep your eyes on the road ahead of you, instead of worrying about the cars that are merging on. Most of the time people know that it is not the ongoing traffic that is to yield, but the mergers. I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with some yahoo who doesn' t know common curtesy on the road.

January 26, 2006, 11:34 am CST

lazy ex-friend afraid of doing anything

hi, i am not sure if i am posting this message in the proper area, but any reply is greatly needed.I have an ex friend of mine that is the lazyist person that has ever walked this earth. We no longer associate because she is so lazy. He boyfriend was recently arrested and put into jail b/c she pressed chardges on him for beating her along with stealing, and a few other things that landed him in the big house.(how-ever he is now released but going back soon) She was kicked out of her house b/c she lost her job and lied about it. She than moved into a friend of mine, parents house.(my friend no longer lives with her parents, but b/c she had no where to go she went there.) I just found out that she had visited this guy in prison!!! While he was in prison i was the one helping her. I helped her study and train for a new job. I gave her money and than she had the nerve to steal from me! yes i know, i caught her and made her give me the money back. That is what draws the straws. I am strongly againist stealing and dont go for it at all. Anyways to get to my point I am wondering, is it possible for my ex-friend to have a mental dissorder. This guy, her boyfriend, hits her, cheats on her, doesn't work, doesn't want to work, has another kid from someone else, didn't graduate high school, or get his GED. He is going no where in life and i dont see what she see's in him. There is no way that she is in love with him. give me a break. She tries to call me and i have asked her not to contact me cause i am not going to associate with people like her and her boyfriend. She knows how i feel about her cause i have told her over the phone, in person, e-mail, and letters. Someone with any advice please help. Oh, and it does not help that i am close with her family, like i am dating her brother, who is nothing like her. Thank God!!! any coments greatly apprehatied 

January 26, 2006, 1:30 pm CST

Fears and Phobias

Quote From: jessilynn5

hi, i am not sure if i am posting this message in the proper area, but any reply is greatly needed.I have an ex friend of mine that is the lazyist person that has ever walked this earth. We no longer associate because she is so lazy. He boyfriend was recently arrested and put into jail b/c she pressed chardges on him for beating her along with stealing, and a few other things that landed him in the big house.(how-ever he is now released but going back soon) She was kicked out of her house b/c she lost her job and lied about it. She than moved into a friend of mine, parents house.(my friend no longer lives with her parents, but b/c she had no where to go she went there.) I just found out that she had visited this guy in prison!!! While he was in prison i was the one helping her. I helped her study and train for a new job. I gave her money and than she had the nerve to steal from me! yes i know, i caught her and made her give me the money back. That is what draws the straws. I am strongly againist stealing and dont go for it at all. Anyways to get to my point I am wondering, is it possible for my ex-friend to have a mental dissorder. This guy, her boyfriend, hits her, cheats on her, doesn't work, doesn't want to work, has another kid from someone else, didn't graduate high school, or get his GED. He is going no where in life and i dont see what she see's in him. There is no way that she is in love with him. give me a break. She tries to call me and i have asked her not to contact me cause i am not going to associate with people like her and her boyfriend. She knows how i feel about her cause i have told her over the phone, in person, e-mail, and letters. Someone with any advice please help. Oh, and it does not help that i am close with her family, like i am dating her brother, who is nothing like her. Thank God!!! any coments greatly apprehatied 

There could be a number of things going on with your friend. She could have self-esteem problems, a fear of being alone (even if not being alone means she gets beat up), she ould have an addiction to the thrill of stealing (kleptomania). What she needs is someone (a professional) to talk to and someone else (a friend) to stand by her while she (hopefully) heals from whatever it is in her heart that is keeping her from succeeding. I hope you will reconsider no longer speaking to her- she needs you now more then ever. Of course, you probably shouldn't trust her alone with your things for awhile, but you (and her family) should stand beside her. As long as she agrees to seek help, follow through with it, and try to better herself. You cannot help those who don't want to be helped, and if she is intent on this path, and sees nothing wrong with her actions and the actions of her boyfriend, there is very little you will be able to do to help her. 

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next | Last