Message Boards

Topic : 04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Number of Replies: 139
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:44:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Armed with a team of four doctors who have four different specialties, Dr. Phil busts medical myths and answers your burning questions! First up, the doctors weigh in on controversial headlines from women over 40 having babies to celebrities in rehab. Then, Kim is only 48, but says she has so many wrinkles, people think she’s old enough to retire. Plastic surgeon Dr. Ordon gives Kim a 15-minute makeover backstage, and you won’t believe the results! And, Amy and her husband, Joe, say getting their two girls to bed at night can take up to two hours and involve lots of tantrums. Pediatrician Dr. Brown makes a house call to the harried parents. Will Amy and Joe finally get some ZZZZs? Plus, OB/GYN Dr. Masterson performs an ultrasound on stage, and meet a woman who says she exercises three times a week and lifts weights, so how could she have osteoporosis? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 5, 2007, 7:04 pm CDT

many thanx

Quote From: thecatlady

PLEASE, PLEASE read all the previous posts.  There is a lady who has a terrible jaw problem because of taking Fosamax which is the same type of drug as Boniva.  Her post is pretty far at the beginning of this message board.  OR, click on my replies...I replied to her and that will get you to her message.

Also, go to womentowomen.com and read the article Osteoporosis & Fosamax by Dr. Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN

Bonivia is the same type of drug and if you are having trouble with it, you probably will also have trouble with Fosamax.

Yes, i read all those posts, which is what prompted me to ask if anyone was familiar with Boniva.  I did go to that website.  Read up on the osteoporosis and adrenal fatigue pages.  Of course, they would also like to you sign up for their program.  Their program, which is purely vitamins and minerals, is actually less costly than the synthetic drugs... and, as an added benefit, they also provide a list of all the "essential nutrients" in their vitamin packs. 

I will say this... after reading all these posts, the womantowoman website, their list of "essential nutrients", my existing jawbone deterioration, and the fact that I absolutely HATE synthetic drugs, my existing 'suspicions' of this "new" osteopenia" condition and the pharmaceutical industry at-large... I will, more likely than not, discontinue my Boniva program in exchange for more 'natural' care.

thanx for your reply.

shari

April 5, 2007, 7:06 pm CDT

KD, and osteoperosis

Dear KD,
Hi there, My name is Frances.  I am 49 years this week.  I also have been diagnosed with Osteoperosis.  I understand that you don't want to take medicines for this.  Well i have real good news for you.  My doctor a couple of years ago gave me fosomax.  It helped a little but not as much as I had hoped.  However my latest Doctor prescribed my Forteo, it is a shot.  You take it for two years and it can and will rebuild up to 90 percent of your bone.  If you take your daily dose of calcium and continue to exercise and strengthen your body you will live a long time without any fractures or breaks.
God Bless you and lots of luck.
Frances

April 5, 2007, 7:30 pm CDT

hooray for not taking drugs without having answers

Good for the gal who refused to take fosamax without complete explanations.  Bad deal for Dr. Stork to do a dramatic scare tactic the way he did.  Fosamax has some problematic side effects, and yes doctors are influenced by drug companies.  A new book has just come out on the subject of manipulation of doctors by drug reps and it is fascinating reading.

April 5, 2007, 7:38 pm CDT

Shari

Quote From: youryou

Yes, i read all those posts, which is what prompted me to ask if anyone was familiar with Boniva.  I did go to that website.  Read up on the osteoporosis and adrenal fatigue pages.  Of course, they would also like to you sign up for their program.  Their program, which is purely vitamins and minerals, is actually less costly than the synthetic drugs... and, as an added benefit, they also provide a list of all the "essential nutrients" in their vitamin packs. 

I will say this... after reading all these posts, the womantowoman website, their list of "essential nutrients", my existing jawbone deterioration, and the fact that I absolutely HATE synthetic drugs, my existing 'suspicions' of this "new" osteopenia" condition and the pharmaceutical industry at-large... I will, more likely than not, discontinue my Boniva program in exchange for more 'natural' care.

thanx for your reply.

shari

Hi Shari-

Yeah, I don't do the Women to Women program either but what got me to them is Dr. Christiane Northurp.  She's a very respected OB/GYN, has appeared on Oprah a few times and has a couple of very good books out.  Very much like Dr. Andrew Weil, she combines western and eastern medicine and doesn't do "the one size fits all" medicine approach.

She's the one who started the Women to Women organization.  I hope you were able to read specifically the article called "Osteoporosis & Fosamax" written by Dr. Marcelle Pick.  She says right at the very beginning of the article that she usually doesn't criticize drug companies, but....

This tells me she isn't one to ALWAYS go off on drug companies, but in this case, we should be concerned about these types of drugs.  After reading about the drugs, how the original use of bisphosphonates - the class of drugs that includes Fosamax, Actonel, & Bonivia was industrial:  corrosion prevention, laundry soaps and fertilizer...this was a red flag for me.  I lead such a healthy lifestyle - diet and exercise - that I just can't imagine putting something like that into my body.

Anyway, good luck to you and know there are other ways.  Get out there and lift some weights!

April 5, 2007, 7:44 pm CDT

Frances

Quote From: francescma

Dear KD,
Hi there, My name is Frances.  I am 49 years this week.  I also have been diagnosed with Osteoperosis.  I understand that you don't want to take medicines for this.  Well i have real good news for you.  My doctor a couple of years ago gave me fosomax.  It helped a little but not as much as I had hoped.  However my latest Doctor prescribed my Forteo, it is a shot.  You take it for two years and it can and will rebuild up to 90 percent of your bone.  If you take your daily dose of calcium and continue to exercise and strengthen your body you will live a long time without any fractures or breaks.
God Bless you and lots of luck.
Frances

Hi and thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Question:  Does this shot actually BUILD NEW BONE or does it just slow the process of the old bone going away?  If it does build new bone, how does it do that?  I've never heard of this shot but will research it. 

New bone is built every time a person gets up out of a chair, walks, etc.  The problem with osteoporosis is when the old bone which is supposed to shed - THIS IS A NATURAL PROCESS- is at a higher rate than the new bone can replace it.  This is why osteoporosis is a reversible condition.  You can do intentional weight bearing exercise which will build new bone - hopefully faster than you are loosing the old bone.

I am interested in how this shot can build new bone.  Hope you write back to explain.

Thanks so much for your blessing and your input.

April 5, 2007, 7:46 pm CDT

I'm the gal

Quote From: mirandaonea

Good for the gal who refused to take fosamax without complete explanations.  Bad deal for Dr. Stork to do a dramatic scare tactic the way he did.  Fosamax has some problematic side effects, and yes doctors are influenced by drug companies.  A new book has just come out on the subject of manipulation of doctors by drug reps and it is fascinating reading.

Hi and I'm the gal who won't take the drugs.  Thanks for your support.

Don't worry, the "scare tactic" that you mentioned didn't scare me...I've read too much stuff (and a lot just on this message board) to change my position.

What is the new book you refered to?  I hope you'll share the title.  Knowledge is power.

Thanks

April 5, 2007, 8:00 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Quote From: tbhuskey

I am frustrated at the comment the doctor made about getting kick backs from drug companies for prescribing their drugs. I worked for doctors for 12 years, what do you call free lunches, breakfast ,snacks or gift baskets or maybe free golf! Drug reps bring in all kinds of goodies to the doctors and their staff to have a minute of their time to push their drugs. I agree with the woman about taking the drug for osteoarthritis, if she can exercise and live a heathy life and feel great about what she is doing, I think that is great!!  My son is a juvenile diabetic, if the drug companies would put all that money and effort into research we might have a cure for diabetes and we wouldn't have so many children living with this disease.

You seriously call those 'kickbacks'....a free lunch or tray of cookies?  That doesn't go too far when you factor in that many of them won't prescribe something that don't really feel is beneficial to the patient.  A free lunch doesn't make up for being sued.  And, most doctors that I know would MUCH rather be spending their time doing ANYTHING but the 'free lunch' or 'snacks'.

April 5, 2007, 8:02 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Quote From: mirandaonea

Please explain just how doctors are so influenced by drug companies.

April 5, 2007, 8:12 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Quote From: pamsully

I can't believe that he just said that Doctors don't get kick backs from drug companies.   THAT IS A LIE.  I worked for a doctor and everyday a drug rep was bring in something. .  We received free lunch almost every day from drug reps and the lunch just wasn't peanut butter and jelly.  The Doctor was getting free golf games, free tickets to ball games, you name it and the doctor got it.  If drug companies would spend less on the doctor and offices, maybe they could do more research and charge a lot less for the drug.  We are all paying for the kick backs.

So, do you REALLY believe a doctor would put his/her license on the line for a free lunch, or round of golf?  Get real.

April 5, 2007, 8:52 pm CDT

ramair

Hi Ramair-

I can't seem to find the post I wrote to you in response to my "diet".

To you and anyone who hasn't read all the previous posts....

In addition to my exercise routine, I live an extremely healthy lifestyle.  No soda - ever (even when I was younger).  I am a vegetarian, eat no refined foods, eat a low fat diet, no refined sugar, etc. etc.  My diet probably isn't a negative factor here.  I know this wasn't told on the show, but I can assure you, calcium isn't being sucked from my bones because of poor eating habits.  I even grind my own wheat, make from scratch whole wheat pasta, bread & bagels (no store bought stuff for our family).  So while I appreciate the idea that maybe while I exercise, my diet may play a negative role in my osteoporosis situation, it is doubtful.

Thanks for your input.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last