Message Boards

Topic : 04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Number of Replies: 139
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:44:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Armed with a team of four doctors who have four different specialties, Dr. Phil busts medical myths and answers your burning questions! First up, the doctors weigh in on controversial headlines from women over 40 having babies to celebrities in rehab. Then, Kim is only 48, but says she has so many wrinkles, people think she’s old enough to retire. Plastic surgeon Dr. Ordon gives Kim a 15-minute makeover backstage, and you won’t believe the results! And, Amy and her husband, Joe, say getting their two girls to bed at night can take up to two hours and involve lots of tantrums. Pediatrician Dr. Brown makes a house call to the harried parents. Will Amy and Joe finally get some ZZZZs? Plus, OB/GYN Dr. Masterson performs an ultrasound on stage, and meet a woman who says she exercises three times a week and lifts weights, so how could she have osteoporosis? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 5, 2007, 5:51 pm CDT

Thanks

Quote From: truckman59

If you look at what you listed as causes of Celiac disease are grain type products.  It is not the grains, per say, but how the grains are stored.  All grains are stored in silos that are allowed to heat & cool with no ventilation.  Moisture then collects and mold/fungus begins to form in the stored grain.  The mold produces a toxin - a mycotoxin - that is injurious to health in so many different ways.  An example of this mold is aspergillus.  It produces the mycotoxin aflatoxin B-1.  This mycotoxin is one of the deadliest known to man & has been researched to produce a weapon of mass destruction.  Aflatoxin B-1 is also a known carcinogen - causing liver cancer.  The FDA tests for certain levels of this toxin in our food, but allows much more in animal feed.  Aflatoxin B-1 as well as nearly all mycotoxins is heat resistant up to 500 degrees.  Use the internet to do further research into molds, fungi and yeasts and the deleterious health effects they cause (skin ailments, digestion problems, asthma, arthritis, migraines, infertility, diabetes & many others).  To combat these mycotoxins from molds, fungi & yeasts antifungals (natural & prescription) need to be taken as well as the elimination of these items from your diet.  Just like you said, grains are a problem.  Eliminating them & all white vegetables, eliminating sugar and eating antifungal foods (carrots, brocolli, green apples, garlic, onions etc.)

Hi and thanks for the info. 

Will check it out altho I doubt it has anything to do with my problem.  My wheat comes from a local farmer/rancher and I store it here at the house.  I will look into all that you mentioned though...you never know.

Thank you again.

April 5, 2007, 5:53 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

If you look at what you listed as causes of Celiac disease are grain type products.  It is not the grains, per say, but how the grains are stored.  All grains are stored in silos that are allowed to heat & cool with no ventilation.  Moisture then collects and mold/fungus begins to form in the stored grain.  The mold produces a toxin - a mycotoxin - that is injurious to health in so many different ways.  An example of this mold is aspergillus.  It produces the mycotoxin aflatoxin B-1.  This mycotoxin is one of the deadliest known to man & has been researched to produce a weapon of mass destruction.  Aflatoxin B-1 is also a known carcinogen - causing liver cancer.  The FDA tests for certain levels of this toxin in our food, but allows much more in animal feed.  Aflatoxin B-1 as well as nearly all mycotoxins is heat resistant up to 500 degrees.  Use the internet to do further research into molds, fungi and yeasts and the deleterious health effects they cause (skin ailments, digestion problems, asthma, arthritis, migraines, infertility, diabetes & many others).  To combat these mycotoxins from molds, fungi & yeasts antifungals (natural & prescription) need to be taken as well as the elimination of these items from your diet.  Just like you said, grains are a problem.  Eliminating them & all white vegetables, eliminating sugar and eating antifungal foods (carrots, brocolli, green apples, garlic, onions etc.)
Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder caused by a protein found in particular grains (wheat, rye and barley); gluten.  While what you say sounds very interesting and worth the research, we are talking about 2 separate issues.  As a person with Celiac, the illimation of gluten made huge improvements in my health, (and that of SO MANY others who have been properly diagnosed), yet I certainly didn't have to illiminate all grains.  The grains allowed make our diet seem as normal as what we have been used to (bread, pizza, pasta, etc), just using different grains.

April 5, 2007, 5:58 pm CDT

Fosamax user

Quote From: thecatlady

PLEASE, PLEASE read all the previous posts.  There is a lady who has a terrible jaw problem because of taking Fosamax which is the same type of drug as Boniva.  Her post is pretty far at the beginning of this message board.  OR, click on my replies...I replied to her and that will get you to her message.

Also, go to womentowomen.com and read the article Osteoporosis & Fosamax by Dr. Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN

Bonivia is the same type of drug and if you are having trouble with it, you probably will also have trouble with Fosamax.

Following a fall which caused a broken leg, my bone density was checked and was at a -2.0.  Because I had just had a stem cell transplant, the doctors recommended Fosamax and exercise to improve my bone density.  One year later my density had improved to -0.5--nearly normal.  I am 49 years old, barely 5' 4", maybe 120 pounds and thin built.  I also have an extreme medical history over the past eight years.   In addition to the stem cell transplant, I also had non-hodgkins lymphoma twice.  At one point the cancer was in my hip and thigh bone.

In the 1 1/2 years I have been on Fosamax I have not experienced any problems or side effects from its use.  I don't have insurance which covers it, so it is all out of pocket.  And, yes, it is expensive, but for me, worth every penny.

No one can make this decision for you--you are doing the right thing by getting as much information as possible.  For me, it is working.

April 5, 2007, 6:06 pm CDT

headaches

Quote From: msmckenzie

My 7 yr old daughter gets head ached quit often. I've taken to hospital and she was given an ex ray. There was nothing wrong w / her. I just don't understand why some one her age continues to have head aches. I have given her children's aspirin but that only works for a short time. I feel so bad for her but I don't know how to help her. Is there anything I can do?

is she dehydrated? 

i wondered about anything nutritional and just randomly put "deficiency headaches juvenile" in google, which brought up a magnesium article.  just thoughts.

April 5, 2007, 6:07 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Quote From: thecatlady

Hey there!

Thank you so much for the information.  I will absolutely check into this.  A post after yours talked about the type of wheat.  I get my wheat from a farmer here and store it here in the house.  It's doubtful that this has anything to do with my situation (my husband isn't loosing bone density and he eats the wheat too) but I will most definitely look into all of this.

Thanks again for your input.  Knowledge is power!

PLEASE do look into this. and please don't confuse it with that previous post.  The gluten (wheat) only causes damage for a person who has Celiac Disease.  You have to have the gene for it.   Celiac Disease has been getting a LOT more recognition lately... because it does affect 1% of the population.  It is known as the great masquerader as symptoms vary from person to person.  While many have digestive issues (as it affects the small intestines and the ability to absorb nutrients), a person can have issues other than what so many doctors view as Celiac symptoms (diahrea, gas, bloating, etc).  Fatigue, infertility, anemia, muscle and bone pain.....   so many symptoms that vary from person to person.  Not everyone who has Celiac has osteoporosis, for sure. 

I was always thin... Could never gain weight.  Found out its because I wasn't absorbing.  After 40 years, gaining weight isn't a problem... and I'm more energetic than I was 10 years ago. 

Others, however, can't lose weight; have problems with obesity.  Others don't have weight issues at all.  Some have depression...

The list goes on and on. 

When I saw you, however, you reminded me of me....  I used to be thin like you, with osteoporosis and with no answers. 

I'm sure you will find any search you do on Celiac Disease very interesting!

Good Luck!

April 5, 2007, 6:19 pm CDT

coeliac

Quote From: glutenfree

As I watched the segment about Osteoporosis, I tried to talk to you through the television, but it didn't work, ha.

I was diagnosed with severe Osteo at age 38.  It took 2 more years to find an answer. I was fortunate to be seeing a physician at Wash U in St. Louis at the start of a Celiac/Osteo study.  After losing nearly 50% of my bone density at only 40 years of age, I was VERY excited to have an answer.  I wasn't absorbing properly due to an auto immune disease - Celiac Disease. 

What does someone with Celiac do?.... the only answer is to eat 100% gluten free; meaning, no wheat, barley or rye.  Within 6 months, I regained 11% of my bone density.    Not only that, but SO MANY other health issues were resolved; some issues that I thought were just about age! 

I could go on and on. 

PLEASE! do a search for Celiac Disease and consider being tested.  It affects 1 in every 133 people, yet nearly 97% of those in our country who have it remain undiagnosed.  Awareness is increasing, which is surely seen in food availability.  The growth in our local support group is evidence to the increase in testing and diagnosis of Celiac Disease.  It's HUGE!

hi there, with coeliac being in the autoimmune category, it makes all kinds of sense to me that it would be tied in with osteoporisis, because vitamin D3 is important to immune system function as well as skeletal architecture.  very interesting!

April 5, 2007, 6:19 pm CDT

OMG YES

Since doctors don't have much time anymore to visit with sales reps, have you noticed on the national evening news (as well as other times of day) the drug company commercials have inserted a line of dialogue: "Ask your doctor if (insert drug's name) is right for you."  Next time, count how many drug commercials are aired during the 30 minute national news on ABC, CBS or NBC.  Also, note the lack of exposure by the national networks of drug company problems (i.e. baycor, celebrex, vioxx, et. al.).  But, should an herb have one or two incidents, how quick the news is to report it and the FDA (supported by the drug companies) is to pull it.

OOOO OOOO OO ya AND they tell you what symptoms to say you have! I AM ROBOT I NEED THAT DRUG!

April 5, 2007, 6:34 pm CDT

I can relate

I can totally relate to the parents who are having trouble with their daughters sleeping.  I have a 21/2 yr old girl who can fall asleep on her own just fine, but will wake after about an hour or so of sleeping and won't go back to sleep unless she can sleep our bed.  I really don't know what to do with that!  I have tried ignoring her and letting her scream, but we have downstairs neighbors who pound on the ceiling to try to get us to shut her up.  It is hard because we do have a very short routine to get her to bed!  I do exactly what the ped. told them to do.  I have no problems with that!  It's what happens later that I don't know what to do with!

April 5, 2007, 6:35 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Quote From: jimmylegs

hi there, with coeliac being in the autoimmune category, it makes all kinds of sense to me that it would be tied in with osteoporisis, because vitamin D3 is important to immune system function as well as skeletal architecture.  very interesting!
I was talking back to the tv too.  The (expensive!) drugs to keep the old bone are getting a lot more notice as some lawsuits are appearing.  I'm reading very negative things about their use;  I think the doctor wasn't all that well informed about side effects and possible future problems.  This is not a hard subject to research!

April 5, 2007, 6:50 pm CDT

04/05 “What’s Up, Doc?”

Quote From: ramair

While KD discussed, at great length, her current exercise regimen, she said nothing about  her eating habits. I suspect that a calcium poor diet contributed to her osteoporotic condition. And, if she was ever a heavy soda drinker, the phosphoric acid leached what littlle calcium she had, out of  her bones. The damage, I suspect, has already been done. While  her exercise regimen can  help retard any further damage, I think she ought to eat a calcium rich diet. And,  let her MD prescribe  some meds. At 48, she may consider osteoporosis an "old lady's" disease. But,  many women,  only in their 20's, are beginning to show symptoms. KD needs to lose the "hard head" before her bones get any softer.

Please read the posts about Celiac Disease.  A person can eat all the calcium rich foods in the world, but if they're not absorbing, wo what....!?!  

I used to be 'accused' of not eating enough, looked at like I was anorexic, etc.  I ate and ate and ate, but it didn't go anywhere. 

Try not to be so judgemental.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last