Message Boards

Topic : 04/04 Did He or Didn't He?

Number of Replies: 383
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 29, 2007, 12:43:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
What happens when family members take sides … against each other? Steven Jr. has been accused by his stepmother, Pam, and his stepsister, Tashika, of molesting Tashika's then 3-year-old daughter. Steven Jr. says there's no way he would ever commit such a sick act against a child. His father, Steve, says he believes his son, and the allegations are destroying his marriage and their family. In order to prove his innocence, Steven Jr. agrees to take a polygraph exam. After two hours of testing, will the truth be revealed? Find out the surprising results. And, why does Steven Jr. believe that his family is alleging he committed this crime and turning their backs on him? Will this family get the answers they are looking for and be able to move forward? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 4, 2007, 1:31 pm CDT

I think too much time has gone by.

Quote From: worrywart4747

Why not polygraph the accuser, if you can do that to an eight year old. My gut is he is innocent.
The child was only 3 at the time. So I assume she's about 8 now. I think it would just be very confusing for her at this point.My gut is not telling me anything this time.

April 4, 2007, 1:37 pm CDT

What's SHE got to lose??

Again, some person can bring their ridiculous acusation & the world has gotten so"The SKY is falling!" that, like in this case, some poor man/male/guy has got to go thru HELL.

What has the mother got to lose? The guy is in a situation that is unproveable (I don't care HOW many polys or interrogators) and if he is EVER absolved~all she has to do is say: "OOOops!" "'Soorrry!" and dance off.

Finally~as in this case`the poor guy (accused) has been put thru SUCH hell that, as weak as polys are to begin with, could EASILY give misreads to the poly examiner.

Let's let the accusers put something up against the house before we give ANY accusation credibility.

The Accused should get a legal benifiactor to sue the pants off the accuser.

God Bless You Dr Phil.

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

April 4, 2007, 1:38 pm CDT

I think maybe he could benefit from some therapy.

Quote From: flrat69

He should get on with what life?  He has been labeled a child molester and that will be with him forever.  He should "get on with his life" after he has taken the mother to court and sued her.  The falsely accused have no recourse but they do have the inevitability of being condemned for life even when found innocent.  Of course the child is of prime importance.  However, she is not of SOLE importance.
I don't know what to think about his guilt or innocence. There is not enough proof to establish guilt. I can't rest assured that he is innocent. This IMO was mishandled 5 years ago. It's too late to figure it out now. Steven may need a therapist to help him to move forward in his life with his girlfriend and baby.

April 4, 2007, 1:42 pm CDT

The thing about those is...

Quote From: worrywart4747

Why not polygraph the accuser, if you can do that to an eight year old. My gut is he is innocent.
The thing about those is if yu really believe something, you will pass.

April 4, 2007, 1:44 pm CDT

Surprised at Dr. Phil

My opinion is that Dr. Phil must know something that didn't come across in the show today.  I am of the belief that you're innocent until proven guilty, but the mere fact that 2 other girls have, at least on one occasion, accused him of some form of misconduct is screaming volumes to me.  Why it didn't to Dr. Phil I can't fathom...why he isn't having his own team of experts investigate this by interviewing the child is extremely puzzling to me, this is a child's life that hangs in the balance.  This is the first time I've ever  disagreed with his assessment of a situation.  I have to say I'm left with my jaw hanginging open on this one.

April 4, 2007, 1:56 pm CDT

Protecting our children

I think that Dr. Phil was off base when the childs mother said that you have to believe your children and Dr. Phil said no that sometimes 3 yr olds make things up. I'm not saying that Steven did this to this child, but I would have done the exact same thing as the mother did in believing her child. Just because there was no penetration found does not mean that she was not some how touched.  Then later in the show Dr. Phil said something to the effect of that every parent should believe their children because you would rather be wrong than to not listen to your child and then find out that something did happen. So I guess I'm just a little confused on where Dr. Phil you stand in this. Personally if my child came to me at any age and said they had been touched in an inapproiate manner I would believe them no matter what because as a parent that is what we are here for to listen and protect our children and I would pray every night that I was wrong because what parent wants to find out their child was abused in any way.

April 4, 2007, 1:57 pm CDT

5 years in the making.

Five years is along time to have to live with continuously being accused of an act.  Since a child can be influenced by parents having sex in the bed and than playing with Barbie dolls in a manner that resembled what her parents were doing, what make a person think that the child can not be influenced to make a false accusation.  What did the parents do when they saw the child playing with the dolls in that manner.  If they over-reacted and demanded that she tell them where she learned what she was doing, the child would lie to get a consoling reaction from her parents.  Five years is too long to wait to talk about this type of event.   The matter was investigated.  The 3 year old alledged he placed a cookie on her vagina and ate the cookie.  What was the child doing naked?  If the child wasn't naked when she ran out of the room, how did he get the clothes back on the child?  Others were at the house.  A 3 year old would vocalize being hurt or even tickled.  The Parents are the only ones to blame for this child making up this story or abusing the 3 year old themself by bring the child into the bed while they were having sex.

April 4, 2007, 2:05 pm CDT

Child posed her dolls?

I remember, as a small child, playing with my friends with our dolls. We played house with the dolls & with that came posing them in "suggestive" positions. I even played house with my friends. That in no way indicated I had been abused. I simply had the ability to hear what my parents & their friends talked about (those things parents "know" they don't say around their children). I had even looked through some of my fathers nudie mags. You don't have to have sex to understand what is shown in the pics.

Years later, I was sexually abused by the son of a family friend. I did not tell my parents until I was 16 yrs old.

Now, as a parent of 4, I have come to realize even more just how impressionable children are, just how easily they pick things up when I "know" they weren't around and how easily a child can be coerced into saying something that isn't true (even when you don't mean to do so or even realize you're doing it).

I have to agree with Dr. Phil on this one. I saw no evidence that it did happen. And if it did, they have the wrong person.

April 4, 2007, 2:11 pm CDT

Exactly.

Quote From: flrat69

If you do, you will soon find that he CANNOT prove his innocence.  You cannot prove a negative.
It's "presumption of innocence until proven guilty", not the other way around.

April 4, 2007, 2:16 pm CDT

Survivor of incest and stable 60 year old female

As the subject suggests, I was molested from the Age of 2 until I left my parents home.  The perpetrator was my Baptist preaching step father.  DHS finally founded the charges against him after I had grown children.  My family still did not believe it; at least not with the hearts. 

From that experience, I think it is shameful that the child was not sent for treatment.  I think that the treatment sought by the mother was inadequate.  It is my belief that someone with insight can watch the behaviour and bady language of a child and know that something is happening. 

That whole family was rather creepy.  Steven's father did not seem a reliable source of information; could he be the perp?  The grandmother had trouble with honesty; what does she know that was not revealed?  The mother of the child never shed a tear; what does she know?  Why did we not meet the father of the child; was there a step parent invoived?

My gut says the child was molested.  Someone needs to dig deep enough to uncover the real perpetrator.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last