Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 22, 2007, 12:41 pm CDT

THIS IS ABOUT THE CHILDREN...

Quote From: flthomcat

Bull poop! Normal kids CAN overeat that much when allowed to. Our son, a non-fat child, would eat candy and junk food until it came out his ears IF WE ALLOWED HIM TOO.

Hormone problems are but a TINY FRACTION OF A PERCENT when it comes to obesity in both adults and children. I suggest you do your research.

You're not helping anybody when you make excuses for the 99% of parents (of obese kids) who got their unhealthy kids to the point they're at now. They are ABUSING their children.

You are obviously not fat and never have been. When a stomach is stretched from over-eating, it will continue feeling unsatisfied. Most people don't eat  because they're "hungry." They eat for other reasons like stress, boredom, etc. When I gained lots of weight, I kept eating MORE and MORE because I was depressed about my looks/health. I was NOT eating because I was hungry. Obese kids are not eating because they are hungry; they don't even know what it is to go without and feel actual hunger.

The medical community only dropped the ball when it failed to tell parents the bad news...that THEY are the ones killing their own children. They're too afraid to upset parents so they enable these parents in the harming of children. It's a disgrace and you are SO FAR OFF ON YOUR POST that it's sad.

AS DIFFICULT AS IT MAY BE TO TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY(bull poop?), YOU HAVE

PROVEN HOW DIFFERENT WE ALL ARE.

YOU CLAIM THAT YOU OVERATE BECAUSE YOU WERE DEPRESSED...

WHEN I"M DEPRESSED, I CAN'T EAT AT ALL , MY FRIEND HAS AN

OVERACTIVE THYROID AND IS THIN-SHE EATS MORE THAN MOST.

MY AUNT HAS AN UNDERACTIVE THYROID AND IS HEAVY-SHE

EATS LESS THAN MOST. 

LET'S STOP JUDGING AND FIND A WAY THAT'S EASY FOR ALL

CHILDREN TO STAY HEALTHY... 

June 22, 2007, 1:26 pm CDT

not judging

Quote From: lind24

I wasn't judging.  I was observing.  I am not judging anyone or their lives.  I just feel very very sad for them.

June 22, 2007, 1:50 pm CDT

????

It is sad to see overweight children.  It is difficult for them

to run, jump, play etc...They are not all "lazy" and should not be told

"get off their ass".  I find it hard to believe that ALL of these

children watch TV ALL day and do nothing else.  Each child

has a different metabolism,' that may contribute.

OR

Maybe their parents actually have them running everywhere-

SOCCER (beacause there may be a national soccer star in

the making!).  Families on the run tend to feed their kids

"quick-fix" meals with a lot of sodium - VERY BAD for

blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rate etc...

What EVER happened to actually cooking these children

healthy meals with no preservatives, and YES letting

them play outside and getting some fresh air.  Some

parents have absolutely NO routine for these poor

children, they tire them out without feeding them.

At this point, any food or relaxation is actually a TREAT

to these poor children...and certainly not (high sodium

bird seeds)...

You so took everything I said and twisted it.  It is the children that I feel bad for.  They learn from the parents.  And yes, many parents allow the kids to sit in front of the TVs etc all day and yes, many parents run their kids ragged without a good meal.  I see it all the time around us and I agree with you about what happened to home cooked nutritional meals.  That is one thing that I always insist on.  Whether we have a game or not my kids get home cooked meals before the game instead of junk after the game.  Many nights I stay up late making meals so that they can be reheated quickly before a game.  You seem so angry and judgemental about what I had to say.  I think that this is the parents and yes, I know that people may not be able to help that they gain weight.  My sister is one of those and has to eat differently now because of it.  I'm not an insensitive idiot.  I know and understand these things but I will stick to the fact that I believe much of it starts with turning off the electronics and pushing away from the table.  Once you start with those basics you can figure out if it's medical, laziness or poor education.

June 22, 2007, 3:37 pm CDT

I totally agree about the electronics...

I was somewhat mad because I don't think any little kid

should be called "fat".  It's just unnecessary, but I think

you were maybe just trying to make a point so they

will help themselves and get healthy.

You  sound decent but other soccer Moms are  SO concerned

about what everyone else is doing wearing eating etc...I honestly believe

that a lot of them don't get out much, and this is their time to shine; that's

the reputation they have... 

I know how difficult it is to cook often,

and you said you stay up late preparing meals - that's great, and not easy.

I also agree about  the electronics-why do children need constant stimulation?

I-Pod, DVD Games, Hand-held Games? It's SO SAD! 

You sound like a great Mom, though...I really wish more mothers raised their

children the old fashioned way - letting them go out in the fresh air, just playing (actually using their imagination!)  with their friends (until they're tired out!), then come in for a healthy,

homemade dinner...

good luck 

June 22, 2007, 5:51 pm CDT

Over eating

There are sometimes medical reasons for being over weight, which totally sucks when its something that cant even be fixed by doctors. But most don't have a medical problems, these parents are feeding there children junk food (thes one on the show). And most over weight people do just simply over eat and eat unhealthy. I'm currently over weight and even though I know it and hate it, I cant seem (and deep down don't want too) stop buying the sugar. I know I have to change this when my son gets older enough to realize whats mommy eating. I don't want my son to live to eat but eat to live instead. I have started to take the steps like just adding more veggies at dinner so I feel less hungrey afterwards and sometimes passes up on Ice Cream.

But atleast with the children on this show, its about what they are eating not there medical problems. Its going to suck for the parents but they are going to have to put there foot down and say "NO" to the junk food.

JMO

June 22, 2007, 8:41 pm CDT

06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: finallyfixed

WOW, you have a lot of anger, I see no reason to slam me for my opinion.

And you're wrong, I've been battling my weight since I was 4 years old.  I am morbidly obese, but have lost 14 pounds in the 5 weeks simply by controlling my blood sugar, no dieting at all.

Many people who are insulin resistant and/or have hyperinsulinemia release too much insulin when they consume carbs in any form.  Insulin can make you fat all by itself, and is also the hormone that stimulates hunger, causing a vicious circle of weight gain.

I have done my research.  I have checked out the scientific studies on insulin and weight gain.  Unfortunately, most doctors will not check insulin response; they automatically assume the person is simply a glutton and needs to cut back.  Sometimes they are gluttonous but nobody asks why!  Stimulating the hunger hormone will cause overeating and thereby stomach stretching.   (But a few days on a low carb diet and smaller portions can shrink the stomach amazingly fast.)

My posts are reaching out to those who may have a problem their doctor has not recognized or even checked for. 

Now that my blood sugar and insulin are under control, I can eat smaller meals, feel satisfied, and am not hungry all the time.

To those who are open-minded, please look into insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia, as a possible solution to your (or your child's) problem.  As I stated before, it won't apply to everyone, but to find out if it might help you, there is a free online quiz at CarbohydrateAddicts.com.

To the angry people, we all have our issues, both physical and emotional.  Here's hoping you find the right answers for you.  

OMG, insulin resistence is a horrible thing.

My best friend suffers from the same thing, it seems weight loss eludes her, though like yourself she's made the effort and its slowly coming off (I think chasing a toddler is helping as well ).

I do belive that Doctors should make a more intensive study into obesity (but there are those who have eaten themselves into this condition), before making a diagnosis, or assumptions.

Sorry I'm among the overly scrawny, not much better on this end, if I hear one more time some well meaning person telling me there's help for Anorexia or Bulimia, I'm going to scream.  So there are those of us who get it.

June 22, 2007, 10:01 pm CDT

Quote From: tiffany_2007

There are sometimes medical reasons for being over weight, which totally sucks when its something that cant even be fixed by doctors. But most don't have a medical problems, these parents are feeding there children junk food (thes one on the show). And most over weight people do just simply over eat and eat unhealthy. I'm currently over weight and even though I know it and hate it, I cant seem (and deep down don't want too) stop buying the sugar. I know I have to change this when my son gets older enough to realize whats mommy eating. I don't want my son to live to eat but eat to live instead. I have started to take the steps like just adding more veggies at dinner so I feel less hungrey afterwards and sometimes passes up on Ice Cream.

But atleast with the children on this show, its about what they are eating not there medical problems. Its going to suck for the parents but they are going to have to put there foot down and say "NO" to the junk food.

JMO

Good to see that kind of reply.  there is children with teeth rotting

because they are left with bottles of Kool ade kind of drinks, mental

problems because of unbalanced foods and weight is not all of the

problems with eating wrong foods and drinks.

It is the balance of what we eat and drink.

there is skinny kids that have health issues also because of the

families eating styles. Some do not get overweight, some have health issues

from plain not eating much at all or too much fast foods.

many people have genetics and family heath styles related.

its not the potato, its what is on it and how much eaten?

fact is some nutrients in like orange juice does satisfy the thirst much better

while colas and pops drive thirsts for more more more.

As some posters state there is many children who sit watching TV, playing video games

or on computers.  Kids will grab snacks, whatever is there fast and easy, especially when

doing this kind of activities.

The industries that sell all the foods and drinks sell what too many get.

Fast easy foods, assorted drinks full of sugars which are not necessary and

way too much fat, sugar and added colors and flavors we do not need.

I think it makes for setting kids up to getting taste for all of it and less for the good.

June 25, 2007, 9:49 pm CDT

I heard on a morning radio show that now Doctors are being trained to not be as "soft" with children being over weight.  They are to be more honest and start using the term Obesed.  Pediarics are to be more forthcoming with parents on their child's weight and health.  what do you guys thing?  be more honest, or leave it how it is?  And let me remind you that being more honest doesn't mean they are going to say "your child is fat!"  They are simply to starting using the term obesed and comfront the parents a litthe more. 

June 25, 2007, 11:37 pm CDT

Little boys big weight

Quote From: sweetsassy

I heard on a morning radio show that now Doctors are being trained to not be as "soft" with children being over weight.  They are to be more honest and start using the term Obesed.  Pediarics are to be more forthcoming with parents on their child's weight and health.  what do you guys thing?  be more honest, or leave it how it is?  And let me remind you that being more honest doesn't mean they are going to say "your child is fat!"  They are simply to starting using the term obesed and comfront the parents a litthe more. 

I totally agree with it. Obeseity is a real problem in this country. Its sad when over 60% of americans are fat (unsure if they mean obese). That look factor is the less of concerns in my opinion. Health is the number one concern and if you have a obese child then he is most likly going to be a obese adult without knowing really how to control it. As parents we control everything in our childrens lives why not control the weight too.

June 26, 2007, 12:10 pm CDT

Re: Jawbreakers and koolaid

Quote From: koolaidemom

This has been such a sore subject for me, especially in the last several months.  My family and I went to a water park not to long ago and there were so many obese people there.  Men, women and children.  It was just sad to watch these people struggle just to move.  I don't understand how people can have such disrespect for themselves and their children.  I read one post on this board and the person said "I try to eat moderately".  I've heard friends who are over weight say that before and then when you watch what they actually consume throughout the day  "moderate" is not a word to even begin to discribe what has been eaten.  Sure, the meals that they eat are not that big and really not that bad for you.  It's the sugared soda or the candy bar or bag of chips or the ice cream cone that is eaten between meals that's the killer.  I also honestly believe that people do not truly understand what is healthy food any more.  Just because a prepackaged food says healthy or low fat or diet that does not make it good for you.  Junk food is NOT a food group.  Junk food is a treat and has anyone ever heard the saying "a little goes a long way".  This does not mean a little every meal or every hour.  This means maybe once a week or longer between treats.  And honestly, what ever happened to kids playing.  Shut the stupid TV, video games and computer off and go outside and play.  As my parents use to call it "go blow some stink off of you".  I think all adults and children should do this.  Get off your backsides and move.  My husband and I love to garage sale.  This means that we drive through many different neighborhoods.  We comment often on the fact that you just don't see kids outside playing anymore.  How terrible for everyone.  I know here comes the comments about how Johnny and Susy play soccor or go to dance class or whatever else they are into.  My kids are in sports too.  Have you stopped recently to look at how many fat kids are on the team.  They make sure that they move as little as possible and exert as little energy as possible.  It's not saying much for the parents either as they sit on the sidelines shoving junk into their mouths.  I'm no exception.  I like my sunflower seeds and jawbreakers during a baseball game and my 2 bottles of water.  The difference is that I'm not overweight and I exercise and these are my treats and I only have them during the season.  Plus I only consume about 6 small jaw breakers and 1/2 oz of seeds a game.  That's moderation.  I just don't get it and I look around me and try to understand it.  When I was a kid in the 70s we played from sun up to sun down.  We weren't allowed to sit in front of a TV all day nor did our parents.  It is just so so so sad that I can hardly stand it anymore and people want a quick fix to their weight problems because they are lazy.  I just want to scream some days....GET OFF YOUR ASS AND DO SOMETHING.  I don't suppose it would help any but that's how I feel.

While I agree that letting kids sit in front of video games and tv all day is horrible for them, and also agree that junk food is not a food group, you need to enlighten yourself.  All obese people don't gorge themselves on junk food and are not lazy.

I am obese; have been most of my life.  I am ON MY FEET (not on my ass, as your verbally abusive outburst suggests) for many hours a day at my job.  I work very hard and it's difficult due to a major problem with one of my feet.  But I do it, and I doubt that many skinny people could keep up with me.

There are many complex issues involved with obesity.  Some people's bodies do not react the same way to the same foods.

For example, your screen name is koolaidmom (or koolaidemom, unsure how you spelled it).

Do you drink koolaid?  Because I can't.  If I drink koolaid, with all its sugar, it will make me gain weight, because my body will release too much insulin in response to it.  Insulin causes weight gain all by itself.

In addition, the excess insulin will make me hungry. 

You are fortunate, because apparently you have been blessed with a body that does not over-react to carbohydrates.  Many people have not been as genetically blessed as you.

Most of them do not know what it is that causes the drive to over-eat.  Until they figure it out, they are caught in a vicious cycle of hunger and weight gain.

I'm getting pretty tired of the fat-bashing on these message boards.  The most abusive treatment I've had in my life was not from a grandmother giving me a twinkie, but by strangers (and some family, and some "friends") who instantly look an overweight person up and down, and either make some rude comment or disapproving stare.   It majorly affected my self-esteem growing up, and shaped who I became as an adult.  I learned at an early age, that people are superficial and do not judge you on your heart as they should.

They'd do well to remember the old adage, "But for the grace of God, there go I."

Does that mean I approve of letting kids sit around the house doing nothing and feeding them junk food?  Of course not!  But let's educate the parents and HELP them, not call their kids names or post hateful comments attacking all obese people. 

It's just as ignorant as posting negative comments about someone's nationality or religion.

First | Prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next | Last