Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 18, 2007, 10:08 pm CDT

If the child is eating too much, ask why he's so hungry.

If the child is eating too much, why doesn't someone ask, "why?" 
Why is his body not telling him he's full?!!!
Is he still hungry after consuming a large amount amount of food that should have satisfied him? 
Does he consume large amounts of carbohydrates in any form?  Does he drink pop/soda, which contains mostly corn syrup?
What most don't understand is, some people are really sensitive to carbohydrates, and over-produce insulin in response to them.  Insulin makes us hungry again. 

Did you know that there are double-blind studies that exist, where they gave identical rats identical food and exercise, and they remained the same size.  Then one was injected with insulin.  With everything else being the same, the insulin-injected rat became OBESE.

If a child (or any person) is overproducing insulin, or else consuming too many carbohydrates (which will make the body release large amounts of insulin), they will not only gain weight from the calories, but also from the insulin, and also have their hunger increased, creating a vicious circle of weight gain.

Instead of taking kids away from their real families and ruining their lives, why don't we try to help them?  Good grief, the U.S. is becoming a police state and it's frightening!

The medical community needs to pay closer attention to the sugar/carbohyrdate/insulin response problem, along with other physical causes of weight gain, instead of prescribing the same solution for everyone.  Calories in/Calories out does not work for all people.  There can be other things going on!

I always hate it when a skinny doctor thinks he knows how I can lose weight.  He has no clue!

June 18, 2007, 10:15 pm CDT

Re: Xylitol

Quote From: anon_slc

Xylitol is a natural occurring sweetener found in many fruits like strawberries, pears and plums.  Pure Xylitol is a white crystalline substance that looks and tastes like sugar. On food labels, Xylitol is classified broadly as a carbohydrate and more narrowly as a polyol. Because Xylitol is only slowly absorbed and partially utilized, a reduced calorie claim is allowed: 2.4 calories per gram or 40% less than other carbohydrates.   

Xylitol has 40% fewer calories and 75% fewer carbohydrates than sugar and is slowly absorbed and metabolized, resulting in very negligible changes in insulin. About one-third of the Xylitol that is consumed is absorbed in the liver. The other two-thirds travels to the intestinal tract, where it is broken down by gut bacteria into short-chain fatty acids. 

Chemically speaking, Xylitol is not actually a sugar, but a sugar alcohol. It differs from other sweeteners such as sorbitol, fructose and glucose because the Xylitol molecule has five, instead of six, carbon atoms. Most bacteria in mouth are unable to make use of such sugars. This is one reason why Xylitol helps prevent cavities.  

Xylitol tastes and pours like regular sugar, but provides 40% fewer calories.  Xylitol mixes and dissolves readily and is heat stable, making it the ideal sweetener for hot beverages, baking and other cooking applications unlike artificial sweeteners. 

Xylitol looks, feels, and tastes exactly like sugar, and leaves no unpleasant aftertaste. It is available in bulk and many forms.  It can be purchased at health food stores and over the internet.  Xylitol was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1963. 

Hope it helps! 

While I appreciate the information about xylitol and agree that sugar is bad for those struggling with obesity...
It is also a sugar alcohol.  Anything ending in O-L is a sugar alcohol.  They can only be consumed in very small quantities or they cause gastro-intestinal distress (gas, bloating, and horrid diarrhea).

A good alternative is Agave syrup.  It's made from the Agave cactus.   It tastes good and is available in health food stores.  I use it all the time and have not suffered any GI distress, so I just wanted to let others know it's available.

There is also another natural sweetener, named Stevia.  It's a bit harder to use, because using too much will taste bitter, so one must experiment a bit to find the right amount.

June 19, 2007, 12:25 pm CDT

06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

I have a friend whose son is almost 9 years old and is already wearing a size 12 husky pants. He has a huge gut and is extremely overweight. For a while he was on the swim team at the Y,but he got bored so she let him quit. He was on the football team for the rec department and he got bored with that too so once again, she let him quit. She needs to make him stick with some sort of activity, it is so unhealthy for him to be overweight at such a young age.

My youngest son went to preschool last year and there was a little boy in his class who was absolutely humongous. This child had to weigh close to 100 pounds, if not more,and he was only 5 years old. Very very sad!! His mother was somewhat overweight, but not morbidly obese. I feel sorry for this boy when he goes to kindergarten in the fall, he is in for alot of teasing in public school. It's a shame, because he is such a sweet boy. As far as I know, he doesn't have any medical reason for his being so overweight, he just eats way too much than is normal for a 5 year old. Watching him eat at the preschool parties, he would eat 3 or 4 helpings of food.

Parents are responsible for what we feed our children and how much activity they do. My children are average in size, and they don't overeat. Although they aren't involved in organized sports, I don't let them lay around the house in front of the television, or play video games all day. I make them go outside and run around and play or pull weeds, or help me by doing chores around the house. Children can't be allowed to be couch potatoes.

June 19, 2007, 12:54 pm CDT

re: Humongous

Quote From: almostcrazy

I have a friend whose son is almost 9 years old and is already wearing a size 12 husky pants. He has a huge gut and is extremely overweight. For a while he was on the swim team at the Y,but he got bored so she let him quit. He was on the football team for the rec department and he got bored with that too so once again, she let him quit. She needs to make him stick with some sort of activity, it is so unhealthy for him to be overweight at such a young age.

My youngest son went to preschool last year and there was a little boy in his class who was absolutely humongous. This child had to weigh close to 100 pounds, if not more,and he was only 5 years old. Very very sad!! His mother was somewhat overweight, but not morbidly obese. I feel sorry for this boy when he goes to kindergarten in the fall, he is in for alot of teasing in public school. It's a shame, because he is such a sweet boy. As far as I know, he doesn't have any medical reason for his being so overweight, he just eats way too much than is normal for a 5 year old. Watching him eat at the preschool parties, he would eat 3 or 4 helpings of food.

Parents are responsible for what we feed our children and how much activity they do. My children are average in size, and they don't overeat. Although they aren't involved in organized sports, I don't let them lay around the house in front of the television, or play video games all day. I make them go outside and run around and play or pull weeds, or help me by doing chores around the house. Children can't be allowed to be couch potatoes.

Woudn't it be nice if other parents taught their kids not to make fun of children for being overweight? 

I'm replying to this part of the quote:
***As far as I know, he doesn't have any medical reason for his being so overweight, he just eats way too much than is normal for a 5 year old. Watching him eat at the preschool parties, he would eat 3 or 4 helpings of food.***

I would disagree with that.  He should not be so hungry.  His hunger hormone is out of whack.  Normal kids would not be able to eat 3 or 4 helpings. 

It's really sad that people instantly judge the child and the parents, when it's the medical community that is dropping the ball, by not finding out what is causing the extreme hunger.

June 20, 2007, 2:05 pm CDT

Sad

I think that it is sad that we have let our country get so obese. I can understand a few here and there but there are so many. I think that parents should take a moment to make a healthy meal instead of getting McDonald's and be active and help kids to do the same. I think that American's need to see and feel the suffering in the world and think about it. We have it too good.

June 21, 2007, 5:52 am CDT

Close

Quote From: mwcoffman

I have been sitting here reading all of the messages on the discussion board and I don't know what to think!!!  I am absolutely astounded by some of the remarks that people have written on here!  First of all, It sounds to me like over half of the people on here are being really really judgmental, second you don't know how people live or what they've been going through, so who are you to judge?  I guarantee half of the people on here don't even have kids, So they have no idea!  They just see a chubby little kid in the store with his mother, or out eating with his parents, etc.......and right off the bat they think "God That kid is too big so automatically you think the parents are irresponsible and not caring for their own child!  Let me tell you my story, I got pregnant when I was 18 and my little girl was born a normal healthy child weighing in at 8lbs 3oz., she had problems when she was born with breathing but her pediatrician said it would go away with age so we went on with our lives.  When she was about a year old I took her to a different doctor and he said she has asthma, put her on singular, asmacort,a breathing machine and STEROIDS!!!!!  The doctor told me when he prescribed them to her that her appetite would increase but steroids is the only thing that will calm down the asthma attacks!!!  Every since then she has did fairly well with her asthma only having to take the Steroids when she has a flare up, she is now 3 and weighs 63 lbs.  She hardly eats, I cook healthy every night and we have no junk food in our house!!!!!!  She is very active, cheerful and happy!!!!!!  Her babysitter comes to our house and our backyard is full of toys they stay outside all the time and when I get home she helps me cook supper and then we go outside and water the flowers and so on, so she is very very active!!  My whole point of this is instead of getting on here and saying DCS should take the over-weight kids away and put them in a healthy environment , know the facts before you take it that far!!!!!  I'm not saying that every obese child has a medical condition such as my little girl because they don't and I do agree parents should stand up and be parents to their children instead of trying to be their best friend, tell them what to eat and what they shouldn't eat,get more involved in their child's physical activity and so on. I'm going to be honest, I've read so many people on her say the DCS should get the children and that makes me furious.........They take them if you don't feed them and they take them if you feed them too much????  That's crazy!!!  Maybe help them to get on the right track such as evaluations every so often, weighing the child in regularly and if that doesn't help in an X about of time then take greater steps!!!!  But the point is you can't judge the child or the parents for that fact about the child looking a little bit too chubby when you just see them out because you have no idea what's going on in their life and maybe how hard the parent is working to keep them healthy!!! I do agree with alot of things that people are saying such as quit eating fast food so much and only let them watch tv and play video games for so long. I mean I don't want my precious little girl going to school and the other kids making fun of her, I love her more than anything and if I could take those few pounds off of her believe me I would!   I just hope that some of you will think about my little girl and how her father and I do choose a healthy living but theres not much we can do about it until we can get rid of her medical condition or at least cut out the steroids!!! 

You had me with you until you fell back on the classic catch all of "...if you don't have kids, you don't understand..." approach.  I'm sorry, but that implies something that is not true.  One need not be a parent to see what happens in society.  In fact, the argument can be made that NOT being a parent gives one a more objective and therefore more accurate view since it is not colored by personal issues.

I do think you make many good points.  What you say about steroids, the problem of how much to feed a child under differing circumstances and the false assumptions people will make about an obese child are all true.  Your defense of your daughter struck me as both real and heart-felt.  She is very lucky to have such a loving mother.

And, you recognize that many if not most obese children are in that condition due to poor parenting.  As a good parent, I can see that this would anger you even more than most.  You certainly don't want your child grouped with these children.  So, please understand that what I say is not directed at you or your daughter.

Obesity is at epidemic proportions in the country.  This is sadly true of our children as well.  It is way past time for the parents of children who are obese through nothing more than poor parenting to begin to be viewed as neglecting their children.  Catchy slogans an news reports have accomplished nothing.  I ask parents to consider than the momentary gratification they may get by letting the child have just six more Oreos is vastly diminished by the long term harm to the child's health and sense of well being.

June 21, 2007, 6:28 am CDT

Same here on my feelings:

Quote From: amycat92

I think that it is sad that we have let our country get so obese. I can understand a few here and there but there are so many. I think that parents should take a moment to make a healthy meal instead of getting McDonald's and be active and help kids to do the same. I think that American's need to see and feel the suffering in the world and think about it. We have it too good.

That's the way I feel; becuzz I was; & sometimes still am obese here. At 5'9" tall; age 47; I weigh 245 lbs. So; I'm on the verge of diabetis, I already have heart troubles now. I take a water/heart pill; & it scares me that if I dont do something soon; I may not live to see 50. But; the habit that I have is sleeping after eating; the meds that I do take; makes me sleepy. Wears me out; when I do any kind of a chore even. I just wish I can get the help that I need to get more fit even... I feel like I am past due on a baby here; & I'm a male... I do a chore; I run out of breath. So; I know how the kids feel as well. they are alot younger; & too young to be sick to where they would die from obese....   

June 21, 2007, 6:36 am CDT

you have a point but..........

Quote From: mwcoffman

I have been sitting here reading all of the messages on the discussion board and I don't know what to think!!!  I am absolutely astounded by some of the remarks that people have written on here!  First of all, It sounds to me like over half of the people on here are being really really judgmental, second you don't know how people live or what they've been going through, so who are you to judge?  I guarantee half of the people on here don't even have kids, So they have no idea!  They just see a chubby little kid in the store with his mother, or out eating with his parents, etc.......and right off the bat they think "God That kid is too big so automatically you think the parents are irresponsible and not caring for their own child!  Let me tell you my story, I got pregnant when I was 18 and my little girl was born a normal healthy child weighing in at 8lbs 3oz., she had problems when she was born with breathing but her pediatrician said it would go away with age so we went on with our lives.  When she was about a year old I took her to a different doctor and he said she has asthma, put her on singular, asmacort,a breathing machine and STEROIDS!!!!!  The doctor told me when he prescribed them to her that her appetite would increase but steroids is the only thing that will calm down the asthma attacks!!!  Every since then she has did fairly well with her asthma only having to take the Steroids when she has a flare up, she is now 3 and weighs 63 lbs.  She hardly eats, I cook healthy every night and we have no junk food in our house!!!!!!  She is very active, cheerful and happy!!!!!!  Her babysitter comes to our house and our backyard is full of toys they stay outside all the time and when I get home she helps me cook supper and then we go outside and water the flowers and so on, so she is very very active!!  My whole point of this is instead of getting on here and saying DCS should take the over-weight kids away and put them in a healthy environment , know the facts before you take it that far!!!!!  I'm not saying that every obese child has a medical condition such as my little girl because they don't and I do agree parents should stand up and be parents to their children instead of trying to be their best friend, tell them what to eat and what they shouldn't eat,get more involved in their child's physical activity and so on. I'm going to be honest, I've read so many people on her say the DCS should get the children and that makes me furious.........They take them if you don't feed them and they take them if you feed them too much????  That's crazy!!!  Maybe help them to get on the right track such as evaluations every so often, weighing the child in regularly and if that doesn't help in an X about of time then take greater steps!!!!  But the point is you can't judge the child or the parents for that fact about the child looking a little bit too chubby when you just see them out because you have no idea what's going on in their life and maybe how hard the parent is working to keep them healthy!!! I do agree with alot of things that people are saying such as quit eating fast food so much and only let them watch tv and play video games for so long. I mean I don't want my precious little girl going to school and the other kids making fun of her, I love her more than anything and if I could take those few pounds off of her believe me I would!   I just hope that some of you will think about my little girl and how her father and I do choose a healthy living but theres not much we can do about it until we can get rid of her medical condition or at least cut out the steroids!!! 
ok, so you are a responsible parent  who take CARE of their child and FEEDS them good food and ensures they get proper exersise.

there are STILL ppl out there that OVERfeed  their kids and UNDERexcersise them.  it's sad but one cannot help but look at those children and kind of ASK what more the adults can do to keep them fit.

i think its a combo of these ppl caving in too quick and giving their kids the junky stuff instead of taking time to cook a wholesome meal, sitting down to eat it as a family, being strict about what comes INTO the house, teaching about choices, and being more active overall with thier kids.

i dont have any children myself but lots of cousins who have kids and what seems to work best just from observation of being around my cousins enough is the above.

don't get me wrong, i applaude the parents who are trying to do something about keeping their kids healthy but you cannot help but upon seeing an  overweight child wondering what is going on and maybe frowning on the parents.

June 21, 2007, 6:55 am CDT

We need good nutrition and exercise !

To Amy, Tim and Harrison, I just want to encourage you all as a family to keep on the weight loss journey that you are taking. Tim and Amy, both of you are role models to Harrison, so I do hope and pray that you both will remain true to your word regarding this issue. You were so lucky to receive help from Dr. Sears and Dr.Phil and i trust you will both take their help on board.I hope that at some time we will be able to see Harrison again, as he is meant to be. God Bless.

To Jennifer i want to say, please make peace with your mother for Logan's sake. Both you and your mother need to work together on this project of giving good nutrition and exercise to your son Logan. Bless you all.

Regarding Joshua, I just want to express how wonderful he was. He looked trim and fit, he looked terrific. Great job Joshua!!!  Thank you Dr. Phil for having him on the show again. His father Alex and wife Cindy, I congratulate both of you for doing such a wonderful job with Josh. 

God Bless Josh and all his family.  Hope his mother comes around one day.

Sincerely yours,

Lory(Maria3255) from Melbourne Australia. 

June 21, 2007, 7:43 am CDT

Just a little overview!

Quote From: parisfan

ok, so you are a responsible parent  who take CARE of their child and FEEDS them good food and ensures they get proper exersise.

there are STILL ppl out there that OVERfeed  their kids and UNDERexcersise them.  it's sad but one cannot help but look at those children and kind of ASK what more the adults can do to keep them fit.

i think its a combo of these ppl caving in too quick and giving their kids the junky stuff instead of taking time to cook a wholesome meal, sitting down to eat it as a family, being strict about what comes INTO the house, teaching about choices, and being more active overall with thier kids.

i dont have any children myself but lots of cousins who have kids and what seems to work best just from observation of being around my cousins enough is the above.

don't get me wrong, i applaude the parents who are trying to do something about keeping their kids healthy but you cannot help but upon seeing an  overweight child wondering what is going on and maybe frowning on the parents.

"but you cannot help but upon seeing an  overweight child wondering what is going on and maybe frowning on the parents."

Ok, I'm not trying to be complicated but you caught my eye!!!  I understand completely that some parents do OVERfeed their child and I do agree that it their job as that childs parent to stand up and act like the parent instead of trying to be their friend!!!!  And I know my case is totally different than these on here because my daughter does have a medical condition which cause her to be overweight. but my point is some parents such as myself honestly can't help that their child is obese, all we can do is make them eat healthy and excerise so they don't put on even more weight.  Its horrible when you take your child out whether its to eat or shopping on a trip or whatever and people are giving you these looks like your a horrible horrible person because your child is overweight and that was the whole point of my first blog!  It breaks my heart!  I know that I'm a good parent I love my daughter more than anything in the world and it really does hurt when people look at you like that.  I just wanted people to realize there are some parents that actually do care and worry about their childs weight.

First | Prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Next | Last