Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 19, 2007, 2:04 pm CDT

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: billieab

Why is this not considered child abuse? Ever hear of the state taking a kid out of the home because the parents overfeed them? Nope ya dont'. This is wrong. What loving parent would willing risk their childs life by feeding them anything anytime they wanted? If the child has health issues (thyroid, etc) address it. This is worse than neglect.

Michigan CPS did take a four-year-old boy away from his unwed mother in 2002. He already weighed at least 120! He also showed signs of neglect. Under foster care, he lost 70 pounds. He's since been adopted. Dr Phil had his mother, Amanda, on his show four years ago. She was eight months pregnant with another  child! CPS took this child, too. In Michigan, if a child is taken because of severe abuse or neglect, any subsequent children are also taken.

June 16, 2007, 6:43 am CDT

Little Boys; Big Weight Problems

I also have a grandchild who is very large.  He was a 9 lb baby at birth and now is 3 and a half and weighs 62 lbs.  His parents are both 6'2", and are 25 years old. They both go to the gym several times a week and take the child with them.  He even does sit ups with his mom, which she uses as play time for him.   His mother is only 145 lbs. and in great shape and his father is about 220 and has a very large frame and a little over weight, but not much.  Both the parents are very active and are healthy eaters as is the child.  They do not give the child alot of excess food or fat, he is just a big boy.  My daughter is constantly upset about remarks from other people as to the childs size and is always making excuses for him.  It truly upsets her that people comment about him, and I don't know how to help her.  She is a great mother and pays attention to what her child eats and makes sure that he gets plenty of exercise.  Is there something we can do to help her and her son do, without starving the child.  It seems that there are going to be kids that are just big and are not eating junk food all the time, but get accused of eating too much. 

June 16, 2007, 2:15 pm CDT

What will become of them?

I am sure many will draw comparisons between this coming show's topic and the one from last Friday on Biggest Reunions Ever. How many of these "little boys" will end up weighing half a ton, if they live that long? Such a contrast, but yet a parallel, to animal owners I see on Animal Planet who have starved their pets almost to the point of death and claim they love them and feed them several times a day, only they don't. So these pet owners who "love" their animals withhold food until they are walking skeltons while some parents who "love" their children allow them to eat foods high in calories, sugar, fat until they are so obese they can hardly walk, hastening them to a life of diabetes, heart problems, being unable to use a standard tub or toilet, ride in a car, or live a normal life span. My mom raised me and my twin sister in the days before Twinkies and Lunchables, but she also raised us without giving us sodas or candy. I still developed a weight problem which I am taking care of by staying away from foods with a lot of refined sugar, bad types of fats, and empty calories and trying to eat foods proven to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and avoid Diabetes. If you do not have a healthy food plan you will not feel good about yourself, and these children are so young to start out in life with poor eating habits indulged in or even encouraged by their parents. With the thought in mind on how staggering the health care costs are for these people who develop life-long health conditions they usually cannot afford, why can't these children who are in danger be removed from the home and placed in an environment geared to turning them around, and returned to the parents only through a program of intense monitoring to ensure these children do not become obese again? I am glad I am single with no children, but my heart aches for innocent children born to parents who can be so abusive. And for those whose children eat healthy and are still obese, fight doctors and specilists for a cause and treatment before it is too late.

June 16, 2007, 4:43 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Big Boys Doctor Little Phil Problems Weight. Now I have seen every thing. But never like this before. See you tomorrow Afternoon. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------

June 16, 2007, 6:39 pm CDT

Deep down inside...

Deep down inside that boys knows he is different, He knows he as trouble getting around and can not do all the things he would like to do.  If he is able to hide it now because he doesnt want to hurt his parents feelings, or feels obligated to stand by them now, when he gets older, he will be angry.. when he gets older... If he gets older...  Im fat, I know Im fat, and Im 44, I knew I was fat when I was a teen... thats when I got fat..  I have always hated it, always put on a brave and HAPPY face for the world to see but deep down inside I was sad, I would cry and still do cry when i see some one running, or riding a bike, or just out having fun with their kids, Lots of my weight is in my butt and hips... just this past year, I now have a fat gut... That KILLS me, I was better able to handle the fat butt with a flat tummy.. ehhhh off the subject I know but I have my own issues.  Anyway, he will sooner or later if he hasnt already realized that he is bigger then the other kids, can run like the other kids, gets tired and has to rest, not like the other kids.  Im sure he notices people stop and star and whisper... IF THEY EVEN WHISPER!  Poor baby... I hope that someone is able to save him in the end but if he was on a earlier doc Phil show and is still so overweight, It doesnt seem like he has gotten help.  Maybe he has gotten help but his parents dont see anything broken.  BELIEVE ME, being fat you are broken, everyday I look at the pieces of me in the mirror... Pieces of normal eyes, lips and nose but the rest is just fat and we are being smothered by our fat, even if some of you want to lie to yourself and say you are happy being over weight. LIERS... sucks when we lie to ourselves, Sucks even more when we lie to ourselves about our kids.   You can hate me for my thoughts and bluntness..but its to late, I already hate myself and self hate is far worse.

June 17, 2007, 6:25 am CDT

INSULIN PRODUCTION - SUGAR VS XYLITOL

Xylitol is a natural occurring sweetener found in many fruits like strawberries, pears and plums.  Pure Xylitol is a white crystalline substance that looks and tastes like sugar. On food labels, Xylitol is classified broadly as a carbohydrate and more narrowly as a polyol. Because Xylitol is only slowly absorbed and partially utilized, a reduced calorie claim is allowed: 2.4 calories per gram or 40% less than other carbohydrates.   

Xylitol has 40% fewer calories and 75% fewer carbohydrates than sugar and is slowly absorbed and metabolized, resulting in very negligible changes in insulin. About one-third of the Xylitol that is consumed is absorbed in the liver. The other two-thirds travels to the intestinal tract, where it is broken down by gut bacteria into short-chain fatty acids. 

Chemically speaking, Xylitol is not actually a sugar, but a sugar alcohol. It differs from other sweeteners such as sorbitol, fructose and glucose because the Xylitol molecule has five, instead of six, carbon atoms. Most bacteria in mouth are unable to make use of such sugars. This is one reason why Xylitol helps prevent cavities.  

Xylitol tastes and pours like regular sugar, but provides 40% fewer calories.  Xylitol mixes and dissolves readily and is heat stable, making it the ideal sweetener for hot beverages, baking and other cooking applications unlike artificial sweeteners. 

Xylitol looks, feels, and tastes exactly like sugar, and leaves no unpleasant aftertaste. It is available in bulk and many forms.  It can be purchased at health food stores and over the internet.  Xylitol was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1963. 

Hope it helps! 

June 17, 2007, 6:31 am CDT

EMOTIONAL EATING - 7 TYPES OF ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION

The brain is involved in everything we do.  How we think, how we feel, how we act, and how well we get along with other people is related to the moment-by-moment functioning of the brain. When the brain works right, people tend to work right. When the brain is troubled, people tend to struggle being their best selves.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are:

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward AND Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss

Healthy Boundaries Workbook: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Set and Maintain Better Boundaries by Deborah Deiboldt Legge 

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh OR Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm

Though harder to spot, emotional abuse is easier to deny.  But just as physical and sexual abuse have signposts to mark their presence, emotional abuse, being a systematic attack on one's sense of self, has common traits.  Just as physical and sexual abuse come in degrees of severity, emotional abuse runs the gamut of intensity and damage.

Hope it helps!

June 17, 2007, 12:21 pm CDT

What the term for six months late?

Quote From: ryleeguy

I just caught a bit of the Feb 7/07 show and I heard Dr. Phil use a word that meant "not yet manifested into" a disease in this case". The word started with the letter "p" I think. If anyone knows this word or taped the show can you please leave me a message here?? Thanks.

Dr. Phil sometimes gets a little creative with his medical terminology,  so he might have appropriated or invented a term for his particular meaning.

He might have used the word
"prodromal" , or one of it's variants.

He might also  have used some form of " to precipitate" (e.g. "precipitating"), or referred to a "precursor" of some disease.  Now I'm curious.  If I can't find a transcript, I'm going to have to listen for what you heard on the day this show re-airs.

June 17, 2007, 6:51 pm CDT

LITTLE BOYS, BIG WEIGHT PROBLEMS

It's definitely the responsibility of parents to teach children from birth proper eating habits and promote healthy eating. I wouldn't put any responsibility on the children, but parents these days just need to be more accountable.

June 18, 2007, 11:47 am CDT

Don't be so judgmental!

I have been sitting here reading all of the messages on the discussion board and I don't know what to think!!!  I am absolutely astounded by some of the remarks that people have written on here!  First of all, It sounds to me like over half of the people on here are being really really judgmental, second you don't know how people live or what they've been going through, so who are you to judge?  I guarantee half of the people on here don't even have kids, So they have no idea!  They just see a chubby little kid in the store with his mother, or out eating with his parents, etc.......and right off the bat they think "God That kid is too big so automatically you think the parents are irresponsible and not caring for their own child!  Let me tell you my story, I got pregnant when I was 18 and my little girl was born a normal healthy child weighing in at 8lbs 3oz., she had problems when she was born with breathing but her pediatrician said it would go away with age so we went on with our lives.  When she was about a year old I took her to a different doctor and he said she has asthma, put her on singular, asmacort,a breathing machine and STEROIDS!!!!!  The doctor told me when he prescribed them to her that her appetite would increase but steroids is the only thing that will calm down the asthma attacks!!!  Every since then she has did fairly well with her asthma only having to take the Steroids when she has a flare up, she is now 3 and weighs 63 lbs.  She hardly eats, I cook healthy every night and we have no junk food in our house!!!!!!  She is very active, cheerful and happy!!!!!!  Her babysitter comes to our house and our backyard is full of toys they stay outside all the time and when I get home she helps me cook supper and then we go outside and water the flowers and so on, so she is very very active!!  My whole point of this is instead of getting on here and saying DCS should take the over-weight kids away and put them in a healthy environment , know the facts before you take it that far!!!!!  I'm not saying that every obese child has a medical condition such as my little girl because they don't and I do agree parents should stand up and be parents to their children instead of trying to be their best friend, tell them what to eat and what they shouldn't eat,get more involved in their child's physical activity and so on. I'm going to be honest, I've read so many people on her say the DCS should get the children and that makes me furious.........They take them if you don't feed them and they take them if you feed them too much????  That's crazy!!!  Maybe help them to get on the right track such as evaluations every so often, weighing the child in regularly and if that doesn't help in an X about of time then take greater steps!!!!  But the point is you can't judge the child or the parents for that fact about the child looking a little bit too chubby when you just see them out because you have no idea what's going on in their life and maybe how hard the parent is working to keep them healthy!!! I do agree with alot of things that people are saying such as quit eating fast food so much and only let them watch tv and play video games for so long. I mean I don't want my precious little girl going to school and the other kids making fun of her, I love her more than anything and if I could take those few pounds off of her believe me I would!   I just hope that some of you will think about my little girl and how her father and I do choose a healthy living but theres not much we can do about it until we can get rid of her medical condition or at least cut out the steroids!!! 

First | Prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | Next | Last