Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 21, 2007, 6:12 pm CDT

06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Unfortunately I did not watch the show tonight, but I have seen shows about these topics.  I have two kids 17 & 14 that are overweight.  We are all tired of the issue and nobody wants to cooperate.  They both are members of the local gym and I don't buy anything in my house that is not healthy.  Kids tend to do what they want, unless they worry about themselves.  At this point I am out of ideas.  I walk almost every day and try to eat moderately.  What else can I do?

HELP I am scare for their health.

June 21, 2007, 6:17 pm CDT

Embarrassed

I'm Embarrassed about my weight. and scared. i have tryed to diet. but nothing works. i'm 4/10. and i'm over weight for my height. i weigh 180lbs.  yes i have lost weight before. i lost it the hard way.  i was sick doubled over in pain. i was having trouble with my gallbladder. i had my gallbladder removed in july of 1994. i couldn't eat, or drink. anything. if i ate or drank anything. that sent a bad messege. in my family there's a lot of family history.

1.heart failer

2.strokes

3.kidney failer

4.diabetes

5.depression

and that's to just to name a few. and after awile. when i was on the road to recovery. and eating and drinking again i gaind some weight back to where i was comfertable. i went to 100lbs. and everyone was saying that i looked good but they still said that i was still too skinny. and i listend to them. and now look at where i am now. a big girl. but thing is i cary my weight low. with the things that i listed here i'm scared that's where i'm heading.  i have seen this show 2times. tonight makes my 2nd. if this weight on these kids or adults keep rising. there's going to be probaly death. and no parent wants that for their child. i hope someone see's my messege here and try to help me to feel better about myself instead of listening to others what they say. i also would love to have dr.phil's help/advise. in closing here i'm mentely challenged/disabled. i don't know if i'll get any help i live in maine. and i don't know if i'll ever get an email from dr.phil :(

June 21, 2007, 6:52 pm CDT

06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: moonglow38

Well I really enjoyed the show today, Dr. Phil, but I think you need to put everyone posting on here in your Dr. Phil house! :(  I mean good grief!  I came away from the show feeling happy and upbeat, especially because of the last story on there about the boy who was so heavy then after his dad got him, he lost most of that weight and looked so good!  I was SO impressed with that dad too! Then I come on here and most of the postings are angry, negative, judgemental and "how dare you judge" while judging...and just really nasty stuff on here.  Talk about going from a happy feeling to blah in 60 seconds or less...:(

I thought we were suppose to talk about the show and if anyone asked for help on here to offer support?  How is blasting the guests on the show or those posting suppose to help anyone, let alone the children?  Then we wonder why 'some' of them might turn to food for comfort?  Good grief!  I came on here to post about the great and informative show today and hopefully get some tips on finding some meal ideas for lunch for my son.  While he is not overweight and I cook a balance supper every evening, I struggle with the day to day lunchtime meals...but gee I don't think I even want to get into that on here...I would risk being torn to pieces, told I was abusing him (even if he isn't over weight) being a 'lazy, bad mom' etc, etc..so instead (knowing I cannot get any help on this message board) I will instead look through Dr. Phil's websites for some tips and ideas...

I really hope you all don't treat others like this in real life...:(   

Just a thought here, but are breakfast and lunch close together ?  Depending on what your child eats for breakfast, he may simply not be hungry at lunchtime, and we shouldn't force feed anyway, maybe just something light is all he needs for lunch.

Something I found worked (I swear I have the world's pickiest kid, and puberty did not improve his appetite,like I was promised), allowing them to help out with making their meals or letting them chose, what I mean is not becoming a short order cook, but maybe at lunchtime, HE gets to chose, and MOM, yes Mom, you eat it with him, same thing, and let him help make it, or even what I used to call "Put Together food" Tacos and Pita with a variety of veggies, maybe grilled chicken or lean ground beef, takes some planning, but well worth it, that way its out and he can "Put it together " himself (and it gives him some control, without the parent having to give it up completely).

June 21, 2007, 7:43 pm CDT

Adults Feeding Children

While adults should dictate the types of foods the kids eat, I really think it's important that the kids be able to say 'enough' as far as quantity goes. I was teaching overseas - I'm not going to say where but while there is a lot of child poverty and hunger in the area I was in, I was teaching at a private school. I was amazed (appalled, actually) at the amount of food these children were given for 'snacks'. (These were not the swollen bellied children you see in commercials, these are the fortunate ones.) These children would arrive at school fed at 8AM. At 10AM, they had 'snack'. Two hours after having had breakfast they had 'snacks'. Most of the time this consisted of a Tupper container/adult size serving of pasta or rice, a piece of fruit, cookie/pudding and drink. This was two hours after they'd eaten breakfast! At noon, they all produced another lunch bag containing another round of the same type of food.

The local teachers were into shovelling all of this food into the childrens' mouths to the point where the children would vomit...they didn't WANT anymore but often in poorer countries, food is a sign of wealth so you wanted your kid to be 'fat' so everyone could see how rich you are and how much you love your children.  These poor children. One little boy in my class finally shouted 'enough' (but in the local language and the word starts with a 'b') and with that 'b' - he just projectile vomited all over the table. Luckily, I was in charge in my class room. Any visiting teachers did things MY way. this was not a privilege I used often but when it came to meal times, I pulled rank and insisted these children not be 'fed'. All I ever wanted them to do because it was hot and they were going outside to run around was to drink their juice. The ones who only ate a little bit or just drank their juice had WAY more energy on the playground. If they wanted to eat they could but if a parent wanted to know why their child was coming home with full Tupper containers, I would tell them 'he didn't want it'.  They could easily have taken one of those meals and split it, eating part at 10 and part at noon and STILL have the kids too full by the end of the day.

June 21, 2007, 7:45 pm CDT

HELP

Can someone anyone help me. i'm despret. please?

June 21, 2007, 8:56 pm CDT

How can this still happen?

I don't understand why child obessity still exists. I mean, by now everyone know what "junk food" is and what harm it does to one's body. So why are we still buying it? Why are we still feeding our children with it? Not only is it our JOB as a parent to provide the BEST its not hard to have a child exercise, eat properly and be healthy. One of my favorite saying is "out of mind out of sight". If there is not "junk food" in the house, the child won't eat it. And if it's a problem when grocery shopping, then go alone! Lastly, with all the money you'll save on "junk/fast foods", you be able to afford a bike for each member of the family.

June 21, 2007, 9:18 pm CDT

do not fear have hope

Quote From: lissette17

Unfortunately I did not watch the show tonight, but I have seen shows about these topics.  I have two kids 17 & 14 that are overweight.  We are all tired of the issue and nobody wants to cooperate.  They both are members of the local gym and I don't buy anything in my house that is not healthy.  Kids tend to do what they want, unless they worry about themselves.  At this point I am out of ideas.  I walk almost every day and try to eat moderately.  What else can I do?

HELP I am scare for their health.

I believe that fear is usually worsened by ignorance (lack of knowledge). The best thing to do is to educate yourself and your family. With older kids that's sometimes hard and it takes time, but you sound determine to change your situation. I would try to "casually" leave information around the house, especially in the bathroom by the toilette. The more they heard the positive side of a healthy lifestyle, the better the chance that they'll put an effort in "getting there". However, the more important thing of all is to have faith/hope that your situation is NOT a "lost case" because YOU HAVEN'T GIVE UP!

June 22, 2007, 1:10 am CDT

Eating

Quote From: cijaym

While adults should dictate the types of foods the kids eat, I really think it's important that the kids be able to say 'enough' as far as quantity goes. I was teaching overseas - I'm not going to say where but while there is a lot of child poverty and hunger in the area I was in, I was teaching at a private school. I was amazed (appalled, actually) at the amount of food these children were given for 'snacks'. (These were not the swollen bellied children you see in commercials, these are the fortunate ones.) These children would arrive at school fed at 8AM. At 10AM, they had 'snack'. Two hours after having had breakfast they had 'snacks'. Most of the time this consisted of a Tupper container/adult size serving of pasta or rice, a piece of fruit, cookie/pudding and drink. This was two hours after they'd eaten breakfast! At noon, they all produced another lunch bag containing another round of the same type of food.

The local teachers were into shovelling all of this food into the childrens' mouths to the point where the children would vomit...they didn't WANT anymore but often in poorer countries, food is a sign of wealth so you wanted your kid to be 'fat' so everyone could see how rich you are and how much you love your children.  These poor children. One little boy in my class finally shouted 'enough' (but in the local language and the word starts with a 'b') and with that 'b' - he just projectile vomited all over the table. Luckily, I was in charge in my class room. Any visiting teachers did things MY way. this was not a privilege I used often but when it came to meal times, I pulled rank and insisted these children not be 'fed'. All I ever wanted them to do because it was hot and they were going outside to run around was to drink their juice. The ones who only ate a little bit or just drank their juice had WAY more energy on the playground. If they wanted to eat they could but if a parent wanted to know why their child was coming home with full Tupper containers, I would tell them 'he didn't want it'.  They could easily have taken one of those meals and split it, eating part at 10 and part at noon and STILL have the kids too full by the end of the day.

WOW that is something I didn't think happened in other countries. I don't think children have the will power to say enough "sometimes" and I mean saying enough to junk food cause we all know they can say enough to healthy food lol. I think as parents we should say enough to the junk foods our children eat and then let them eat there fill of healthy food, for if they are truly hungrey they will eat that healthy food. I think they will grow up to be adults that will make better choices on there food intake.

I was always underweight as a child. My mother would get yelled at to feed me more. I would scream and get angry, I just never felt hungrey and my mother was the type to have food at breakfast, lunch, and dinner with snacks. She took me to a different doctor and he said give her more of the foods she prefer (not totally junk food) and to let me eat when I was hungrey. Well it worked I finally started to put on weight and became more healthy, I spent my whole childhood and teenage hood with a underweight problem, at 17 years old and 5'7 it was a fight to just keep on 120lbs and if I got the flu I was drop to 110-115 within days. But somewhere around the age of 20 everything changed now I have to fight to keep weight off. I diet alot, just to keep around 150lbs now after having a baby its even harder to get to 170lbs I know its cause I was raised to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. But my problem isn't a commin one. I do feel bad for these overweight kids cause its just like being underweight. As a child you don't want to be concerned with your weight. But as a Parent you need to set limits and really view all your opions. If you have a child that loves to eat then really stick healthy food in front of them, and get them more active to burn off the extra stuff. Of course underweight is a little harder to try and control cause I was mean to my mom when she would try and force feed me, like spitting the food back in her face. But I always felt like I was going to vomit if ate anymore.

Food is a hard issue to deal with in my opinion

June 22, 2007, 1:18 am CDT

Weight

Quote From: csibeach

I don't understand why child obessity still exists. I mean, by now everyone know what "junk food" is and what harm it does to one's body. So why are we still buying it? Why are we still feeding our children with it? Not only is it our JOB as a parent to provide the BEST its not hard to have a child exercise, eat properly and be healthy. One of my favorite saying is "out of mind out of sight". If there is not "junk food" in the house, the child won't eat it. And if it's a problem when grocery shopping, then go alone! Lastly, with all the money you'll save on "junk/fast foods", you be able to afford a bike for each member of the family.
I totally agree with you. But now having a child of my own, and he is only 4 months old I can understand how these parents might cave in cause its not that they don't want to hear there children cry its that it breaks there hearts they are upsetting there children. I have broken alot of my rules that were good rules simply cause I like to make my son happy. So even though they are totally in the wrong, and she think more about there children future then the moment, I can understand how it can happen.

June 22, 2007, 5:31 am CDT

over weight boys

I am so glad the Josh is with his father, and stepmother he looked great on the show when I saw him. I felt so sorry for Logan. The child can just about walk. The parents are totally responsible for what there childern eat.  They buy it and cook it. Not the child. And buying the child all these sweets that is nothing but sugar.  There are plenty of healthy snacks out there. and the parents need to buy it. It is the parents job to set the example of the child. 

I see alot of  Kids, and parents that are over weight, and its sad. The parents end up with all kinds of health problems and so does the child.

Wake up America!!! Wake Up parents!!!

First | Prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next | Last