Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 21, 2007, 2:38 pm CDT

06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Unless there is a medical condition, childhood weight issues are easy to take care of. Don't have the junk in the house and send the kid out to play! No one needs junk, we need food to survive, but we don't need cookies or cake to survive. And if the weather is bad, enroll the kid in some physical activity; there are many available at the local YMCA. Children NEED to play and they NEED to play actively. As parents we have to make our children do lots of things they don't want to do, like give them medicine or make them go to bed or keep them from running out into traffic, you get the picture. All these things are for their own good and that includes insisting on proper nutrition.

If there is a medical condition, it is all the more reason to insist on proper nutrition and I would add keep meticulous records of food intake to make sure the doctor doesn't just write it off as poor eating habits.

Children will eat what they are used to, so if you serve healthy food they will eat healthy food. They will not starve themselves, they may even like it or God forbid prefer the healthy food.

I have a story about when I chaperoned my DD's field trip. My DD and I packed a healthy lunch with a treat of chips because of the special occasion. Anyway, I only have 100% whole grain products in our house, I prefer it and my kids like it, so I packed a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, when we sat down another child picked up my DD's sandwich by mistake and proceeded to eat the sandwich. At first I was shocked someone else packs whole wheat bread, but I soon realized it was DD's and took it off her. She said it was good, better than her's (PB&J on white). There were also fresh strawberries that the other kids in the group were trying to trade their cookies and candy for a strawberry, even saying please. The moral is kids WILL eat healthier if given a chance.

It's not to say they should NEVER eat junk. It just shouldn't be a daily occurrence. That includes dessert.

June 21, 2007, 2:47 pm CDT

Quote From: finallyfixed

Woudn't it be nice if other parents taught their kids not to make fun of children for being overweight? 

I'm replying to this part of the quote:
***As far as I know, he doesn't have any medical reason for his being so overweight, he just eats way too much than is normal for a 5 year old. Watching him eat at the preschool parties, he would eat 3 or 4 helpings of food.***

I would disagree with that.  He should not be so hungry.  His hunger hormone is out of whack.  Normal kids would not be able to eat 3 or 4 helpings. 

It's really sad that people instantly judge the child and the parents, when it's the medical community that is dropping the ball, by not finding out what is causing the extreme hunger.

I DO teach my kids not to be unkind to other children.  My children would be in for a world of trouble if I ever heard them make fun of another child for their weight or any other reason, and they know it!! I totally agree, it would be nice if other parents taught their kids not to make fun of children for being overweight but unfortunately that's not the way  the world is. Kids can be very cruel, I know because I was teased alot as a child, for the opposite reason. I was very very skinny and short.

This boy to whom I am referring also has a number of other medical issues that I'm sure his weight is contributing to, such as severe asthma and chronic bronchitis. I can't believe that his doctors haven't suggested to his mother that they investigate the cause of his obesity. But then again maybe they have and she doesn't want to deal with it. It's a shame, he has a long hard road ahead of him!!!

June 21, 2007, 2:53 pm CDT

It's a complicated thing.

In my case, when MY kids were small, they were picky eaters. And they didn't seem to need large portions of what they DID like. I was always careful about what sweets they ate. Because my kids were not big eaters, it always surprises me to know that small kids can eat large amounts of foods.I do know that when I was a young child-adolescense, there were not as many over -weight kids as there are now.(I was born in '54) My family was poor but we always had enough to eat. We always had a garden and my mother canned. We had chickens and eggs. Sometimes we had a cow-fresh milk. But the fact is, we hardly ever had sweets. We were very active and played outside a lot and walked about 6 miles round-trip to the bus stop during the school year. None of us were over-weight. I do think that sometimes parents don't realize that thier kids have bad eating habits. Nowadays it seems that both parents work, or there is a single parent home. I guess everyone is always in a big hurry and there's not time to slow down and plan meals. It seems like most kids love sweets and may eat them every chance they get. When my kids were little, we didn't have a lot of money to eat out on because I didn't work. When they DID get to eat out , it was a real treat for them. Lord only knows, I never tasted fast food until I was a teen-ager. This may sound strange, but when I was growing up, we didn't eat between meals. We weren't allowed to forage in the refridgerator any time we wanted to. That was my mother's domain and besides there weren't any snacks in there anyway.The fact is, when my kids were little they were not allowed to just go and get anything to eat out of the fridge without my permission. (I'm talking elementary school) Of course that changed as they got older. If I had not seen the change in that child that lost weight after his father got custody, I probably would have thought he had a medical problem. Goes to show you how much I know.I know that every situation is different, but if I had to guess, I'd say that most kids are overweight because they overeat. I know that's not fair to parents who are doing everything they can to help thier child. I don't make fun of people who are overweight and I always taught my kids not to make fun of anyone. It's so difficult for the kids I have known who are overweight. And the worst thing is the way other kids can be cruel. It always seemed to me that over-weight kids were either bullies(perhaps as a defense against the remarks of other kids) or they were very withdrawn and quiet. It seems that this problem is only getting worse with time. I wonder if things will ever get better?

June 21, 2007, 2:59 pm CDT

Quote From: flthomcat

Bull poop! Normal kids CAN overeat that much when allowed to. Our son, a non-fat child, would eat candy and junk food until it came out his ears IF WE ALLOWED HIM TOO.

Hormone problems are but a TINY FRACTION OF A PERCENT when it comes to obesity in both adults and children. I suggest you do your research.

You're not helping anybody when you make excuses for the 99% of parents (of obese kids) who got their unhealthy kids to the point they're at now. They are ABUSING their children.

You are obviously not fat and never have been. When a stomach is stretched from over-eating, it will continue feeling unsatisfied. Most people don't eat  because they're "hungry." They eat for other reasons like stress, boredom, etc. When I gained lots of weight, I kept eating MORE and MORE because I was depressed about my looks/health. I was NOT eating because I was hungry. Obese kids are not eating because they are hungry; they don't even know what it is to go without and feel actual hunger.

The medical community only dropped the ball when it failed to tell parents the bad news...that THEY are the ones killing their own children. They're too afraid to upset parents so they enable these parents in the harming of children. It's a disgrace and you are SO FAR OFF ON YOUR POST that it's sad.

Also, who is responsible for taking the kids to the doctor in the first place? THE PARENTS!!! And as a nurse I have worked in doctors offices and many other places and I can tell you for a fact that people don't want to hear the truth, especially when it comes to their kids. I have been cussed out on the phone and in person by irate parents because they didn't like what the doctor had to say.

June 21, 2007, 3:00 pm CDT

Wow! Great show..bad messages

Well I really enjoyed the show today, Dr. Phil, but I think you need to put everyone posting on here in your Dr. Phil house! :(  I mean good grief!  I came away from the show feeling happy and upbeat, especially because of the last story on there about the boy who was so heavy then after his dad got him, he lost most of that weight and looked so good!  I was SO impressed with that dad too! Then I come on here and most of the postings are angry, negative, judgemental and "how dare you judge" while judging...and just really nasty stuff on here.  Talk about going from a happy feeling to blah in 60 seconds or less...:(

I thought we were suppose to talk about the show and if anyone asked for help on here to offer support?  How is blasting the guests on the show or those posting suppose to help anyone, let alone the children?  Then we wonder why 'some' of them might turn to food for comfort?  Good grief!  I came on here to post about the great and informative show today and hopefully get some tips on finding some meal ideas for lunch for my son.  While he is not overweight and I cook a balance supper every evening, I struggle with the day to day lunchtime meals...but gee I don't think I even want to get into that on here...I would risk being torn to pieces, told I was abusing him (even if he isn't over weight) being a 'lazy, bad mom' etc, etc..so instead (knowing I cannot get any help on this message board) I will instead look through Dr. Phil's websites for some tips and ideas...

I really hope you all don't treat others like this in real life...:(   

June 21, 2007, 3:30 pm CDT

Overweight child

Hi,

My 10 year old daughter is slightly overweight and I am not sure why??  I have two other children and they all eat the same things yet my oldest is the only one with a weight problem.  In fact my son is only 15 months younger than my daughter and weighs at least 15 punds less than she does.  She has recenlty been coming home from school very upset about being teased at school and being called fat by other children.  It breaks my heart to know that she is being teased about it and I am not sure what to do.  I hate to have to put her on a diet at such a young age but at this point I believe I am going to have to.  I think it is just sad that children so young are having to worry about weight issues.  I dont think I ever even thought about my weight as a child, at least not until puberty hit.  Any advice from anyone with the same issues at home??

June 21, 2007, 3:37 pm CDT

Healthy lunch ideas

1. Both the mother and grandmother are immature and need some classes.
This will be a classic - they taught him how to be - and sit and scratch their heads - however did he get this way? Duh?

For healthy lunch ideas simply go to YAHOO and type in healthy lunch ideas for kids - and tons of suggestions come up.

I, too, have a beautiful 3 year old grandson - the difference - his mother is mature and has a backbone. He's learning the balance between fruits, veggies and desserts.

Maybe the parents on this show simply need to grow up?

June 21, 2007, 4:04 pm CDT

Quote From: flthomcat

Bull poop! Normal kids CAN overeat that much when allowed to. Our son, a non-fat child, would eat candy and junk food until it came out his ears IF WE ALLOWED HIM TOO.

Hormone problems are but a TINY FRACTION OF A PERCENT when it comes to obesity in both adults and children. I suggest you do your research.

You're not helping anybody when you make excuses for the 99% of parents (of obese kids) who got their unhealthy kids to the point they're at now. They are ABUSING their children.

You are obviously not fat and never have been. When a stomach is stretched from over-eating, it will continue feeling unsatisfied. Most people don't eat  because they're "hungry." They eat for other reasons like stress, boredom, etc. When I gained lots of weight, I kept eating MORE and MORE because I was depressed about my looks/health. I was NOT eating because I was hungry. Obese kids are not eating because they are hungry; they don't even know what it is to go without and feel actual hunger.

The medical community only dropped the ball when it failed to tell parents the bad news...that THEY are the ones killing their own children. They're too afraid to upset parents so they enable these parents in the harming of children. It's a disgrace and you are SO FAR OFF ON YOUR POST that it's sad.

You're exactly right!! I was a very skinny child but I gained weight as an adult. I lost the weight when I cut back on my portions, slowing down when I was eating allowing myself to realize when I was full, and exercising.  If the food is in the house, or on my plate, I will eat it.  I will be the first one to admit I'm a junk food junkie, but instead of giving it up completely, I eat smaller portions. Moderation is the key!!! That goes for myself as well as my children. They are allowed to snack on chips, but they snack on fruit and baby carrots as well.

We wouldn't allow a parent to STARVE a child would we? So why as a nation do we allow parents to slowly kill their child by overfeeding them?

June 21, 2007, 4:10 pm CDT

Children

Quote From: mperryman

Hi,

My 10 year old daughter is slightly overweight and I am not sure why??  I have two other children and they all eat the same things yet my oldest is the only one with a weight problem.  In fact my son is only 15 months younger than my daughter and weighs at least 15 punds less than she does.  She has recenlty been coming home from school very upset about being teased at school and being called fat by other children.  It breaks my heart to know that she is being teased about it and I am not sure what to do.  I hate to have to put her on a diet at such a young age but at this point I believe I am going to have to.  I think it is just sad that children so young are having to worry about weight issues.  I dont think I ever even thought about my weight as a child, at least not until puberty hit.  Any advice from anyone with the same issues at home??

your daughter might burn off fat differently then your other kids. i would suggest more activity, if she isn't already active. maybe even get her into sports.

June 21, 2007, 4:57 pm CDT

Quote From: mperryman

Hi,

I commend you for taking the initiative for wanting to help your daughter. You sound like a very responsible parent!!! First I would take her to your family doctor and make sure it's not her thyroid or anything else medical. Once that is ruled out, get him to recommend a healthy diet plan for her age. Then find some sort of physical activity she enjoys and enroll her in it. Check out your local YMCA.  You might want to join a class with her like aerobics or swimming. Exercising with her will motivate her to keep doing it. If you can't afford to enroll her in a class, then take her walking, either at the park or at the local mall.

Just because your son weighs less than your daughter doesn't mean a thing. She's probably starting to go through puberty, which is why she's more than likely gaining weight now.I know she's only 10, but girls are hitting puberty younger and younger these days!!! Just strap yourself in and hang on!! You're in for a bumpy ride!!! LOL!! While you're at the doctor, get some Valium for yourself, you'll need it for the next few years!!

All jokes aside, if you exercise along with your daughter, I'm sure that will be a big incentive, and plus you get to spend alone time with her.

First | Prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next | Last