Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 21, 2007, 8:10 am CDT

I have some thoughts, and I am a parent of FOUR

I am a parent of four children none of whom have weight problems.  In fact all of my children like to eat vegetables and salads, and also peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and also snack cakes, and also water, and also sodas. Did I mention we eat fast food?

My point is all things in moderation....and also who is eating in the home....do you guys sit down at the table for your meals, or do you go to different areas of you home with food?

In all of the clips the only person eating was the child, and I have seen some families who feed the children and then they eat later....I want to say that nothing can replace family mealtimes. My children eat better when we have our dinner at the table. I also noticed that food has become a reward in most of the families. In my family food is food. Not a reward. In fact I do not talk about food....food is what sustains us, it is not a reward, it is not a treat, it is not a tool for  bribery.

I really think....and I saw this in my own family as a child...my brother and sister battled weight issues and when they gained weight my grandmother would be very mean to them, saying"you dont need dessert" and "no you cant have any more potatoes look at you already" and that only add fuel to the fire, that the attitudes around these children can add fuel to the fire. The mom that knows her son needs to lose weight, and the dad that wants him to feel great about himself even if he is large, the mom and grandma that cant discuss the issues. I am sure that they are ACTING like their child is FAT. Not to be mean, but it just happens that way.

I am not an advocate of forcing children to exercise because playing outside is all they need.....I do understand however that once it gets to the point of where these families are the children have no energy to play outdoors, but for those where your children are not there yet just know that you dont have to make them stairmasters, or take them to the gym, just play with them outside or better yet let them play outside, they will get all of the exercise they need.

Eat dinner at the table, eat breakfast at the table, have everyone sit down and then begin your meal. Put all the food on the plates or put it in the middle of the table and let them serve themselves, also let them eat what they want....so do not say "Just two more bites then your done", or "eat your green beans and then you can have dessert."  If they dont eat their meal and you feel it is because they want a sweet just dont offer dessert after the meal....if you want dessert you may have to wait until they go to bed....dont eat dessert and not allow them to have any.

When you talk to your children dont talk about how fat they are or that they need to go on a diet or that they look like they have gained weight or abou the size clothes they wear or what they want to eat or how little they play or any other negative, also dont talk about them that way when they are around, this makes them feel bad about their selves and that does not help them!

One day I will write a book about helping your child be healthy children and adults, but for now this all I have time for.....

Eat the foods that offer nuturitional value on a regular basis and enjoy snacks and sweets on occasion,
 amy jones

June 21, 2007, 8:32 am CDT

THANK YOU!!!!!! :)

Quote From: amyjones28

I am a parent of four children none of whom have weight problems.  In fact all of my children like to eat vegetables and salads, and also peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and also snack cakes, and also water, and also sodas. Did I mention we eat fast food?

My point is all things in moderation....and also who is eating in the home....do you guys sit down at the table for your meals, or do you go to different areas of you home with food?

In all of the clips the only person eating was the child, and I have seen some families who feed the children and then they eat later....I want to say that nothing can replace family mealtimes. My children eat better when we have our dinner at the table. I also noticed that food has become a reward in most of the families. In my family food is food. Not a reward. In fact I do not talk about food....food is what sustains us, it is not a reward, it is not a treat, it is not a tool for  bribery.

I really think....and I saw this in my own family as a child...my brother and sister battled weight issues and when they gained weight my grandmother would be very mean to them, saying"you dont need dessert" and "no you cant have any more potatoes look at you already" and that only add fuel to the fire, that the attitudes around these children can add fuel to the fire. The mom that knows her son needs to lose weight, and the dad that wants him to feel great about himself even if he is large, the mom and grandma that cant discuss the issues. I am sure that they are ACTING like their child is FAT. Not to be mean, but it just happens that way.

I am not an advocate of forcing children to exercise because playing outside is all they need.....I do understand however that once it gets to the point of where these families are the children have no energy to play outdoors, but for those where your children are not there yet just know that you dont have to make them stairmasters, or take them to the gym, just play with them outside or better yet let them play outside, they will get all of the exercise they need.

Eat dinner at the table, eat breakfast at the table, have everyone sit down and then begin your meal. Put all the food on the plates or put it in the middle of the table and let them serve themselves, also let them eat what they want....so do not say "Just two more bites then your done", or "eat your green beans and then you can have dessert."  If they dont eat their meal and you feel it is because they want a sweet just dont offer dessert after the meal....if you want dessert you may have to wait until they go to bed....dont eat dessert and not allow them to have any.

When you talk to your children dont talk about how fat they are or that they need to go on a diet or that they look like they have gained weight or abou the size clothes they wear or what they want to eat or how little they play or any other negative, also dont talk about them that way when they are around, this makes them feel bad about their selves and that does not help them!

One day I will write a book about helping your child be healthy children and adults, but for now this all I have time for.....

Eat the foods that offer nuturitional value on a regular basis and enjoy snacks and sweets on occasion,
 amy jones

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO POST THIS BLOG! I HAVE TO TELL YOU I HAVE READ THROUGH ALL OF THESE AND YOUR BLOG IS DEFINETLY THE BEST YET!  I THINK WHEN YOU DO GET TIME YOU DO NEED TO WRITE A BOOK!  YOU MAY HAVE READ MY STORY I'M NOT SURE ABOUT MY DAUGHTER BUT ANYWAY EVERYTHING YOU SAID HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I HOPE WHEN YOU DO GET TO WRITE YOUR BOOK THAT I GET THE CHANCE TO READ IT! 

June 21, 2007, 9:04 am CDT

More than the food

It isn't just poor eating habits that are contributing to childhood obesity.  Lack of exercise is a big problem as well.  Part of it, I think, is due to our society - parents working all day with kids left to their own devices which often means eating, sitting in front of a television or computer and very little outdoor activities or exercise. Many times they are not allowed to go outside until a parent comes home.  Children living this lifestyle need to eat much better and much less than kids who are physically active.  As a grandparent, it's very sad to watch.

June 21, 2007, 11:11 am CDT

ABUSE

Parents are ABUSING their children in this country and children are paying the price! We taxpapers will also be paying the price when these unhealthy, obese "children" become adults.

How can anyone who truly loves his/her child abuse him/her with food? My husband and I are not small people. We have to be very careful about not gorging on junk food. However, our children (age 12 an 6) have been fed healthy meals and little dessert since birth. They are also signed up for sports to keep them active since it's not safe for them to be outside alone in this sad society.

Our daughter has a modeling contract and would pick a salad over junk food anyday. She plays many sports and loves to keep busy (she's also an Honors student). Our son has his desserts limited (he'd eat them constantly, if we let him) and I make sure to make him a healthy school lunch daily and we ALL sit down for a healthy family dinner each ane every night.

There is NO EXCUSE for all these obese kids; the blame lies squarely with the parents who are supposed to be protecting them from harm! Killing them with food is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Many parents are simply LAZY...it's much easier to go thru a drive thru than it is to prepare a healthy meal. And it's much easier to make a kid "happy" by giving him/her junk food than it is to cut an apple or hand him a yogurt. They'd rather harm their own child than they would listen to him compain!!!

I'm DISGUSTED about the lack of responsibility on the part of these so-called parents who CLAIM to love their children. If they truly loved them, they wouln't KILL THEM WITH FOOD!!! GEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007, 11:18 am CDT

You are in left field

Quote From: finallyfixed

Woudn't it be nice if other parents taught their kids not to make fun of children for being overweight? 

I'm replying to this part of the quote:
***As far as I know, he doesn't have any medical reason for his being so overweight, he just eats way too much than is normal for a 5 year old. Watching him eat at the preschool parties, he would eat 3 or 4 helpings of food.***

I would disagree with that.  He should not be so hungry.  His hunger hormone is out of whack.  Normal kids would not be able to eat 3 or 4 helpings. 

It's really sad that people instantly judge the child and the parents, when it's the medical community that is dropping the ball, by not finding out what is causing the extreme hunger.

Bull poop! Normal kids CAN overeat that much when allowed to. Our son, a non-fat child, would eat candy and junk food until it came out his ears IF WE ALLOWED HIM TOO.

Hormone problems are but a TINY FRACTION OF A PERCENT when it comes to obesity in both adults and children. I suggest you do your research.

You're not helping anybody when you make excuses for the 99% of parents (of obese kids) who got their unhealthy kids to the point they're at now. They are ABUSING their children.

You are obviously not fat and never have been. When a stomach is stretched from over-eating, it will continue feeling unsatisfied. Most people don't eat  because they're "hungry." They eat for other reasons like stress, boredom, etc. When I gained lots of weight, I kept eating MORE and MORE because I was depressed about my looks/health. I was NOT eating because I was hungry. Obese kids are not eating because they are hungry; they don't even know what it is to go without and feel actual hunger.

The medical community only dropped the ball when it failed to tell parents the bad news...that THEY are the ones killing their own children. They're too afraid to upset parents so they enable these parents in the harming of children. It's a disgrace and you are SO FAR OFF ON YOUR POST that it's sad.

June 21, 2007, 12:31 pm CDT

Child Abuse

Quote From: ceildh1

You know what, see this is DISGUSTING, forget political corectness in this case, this is nothing short of child abuse.

I am aware of Prader Willi syndrome, before that gets brought up, but from the blurb and the previews, the impression I get is these are normal children whose parents have eithr a) no CONTROL over these children or b) are NOT on the same page when it comes to nutrition.

The junk food issues are so simple, DON'T BUY THEM, or does you child DICTATE to you what they will eat, proven fact a child will NOT allow themselves to starve to death, and from the look of the parents it wouldn't hurt them either, child locks on the fridge and cupboard doors would come in handy.

Why would ANYONE set their CHILD up for a life of ridicule and shame, not to mention how cruel children can be when they get to school.  As PARENTS we are RESPONSIBLE ( ugly word for some I know) for our children's physical and EMOTIONAL well being, under what theory is it okay to allow a two, four or seven year old CHILD to dictate what is best for them.

Would you stand there and allow your husband to BEAT the child, if you would then someone should save that child NOW, feeding them to DEATH isn't any better.

Judgemental, yes, mean yes, hey I'll take it, in cases like this, you know what, it is the PARENT'S FAULT.

You are right-this is nothing short of child abuse. It is the parent's responsibility to say NO. It's only two letters... At our house, you eat what's on the table or you don't eat. They are not going to turn to dust and  blow away before the next meal. Eat or go hungry. They get snacks (and sugar) but not all day long. We have junk food in our house, but thanks to my husband's persistance, we also have lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and they eat those too.

June 21, 2007, 1:26 pm CDT

It's easy to point fingers and place blame..

Unless you are the parent of the child with a weight problem, you have no buisness making harsh uninformed judgments of peoples parenting skills. I have been going throught hell and back with my son for almost 7 years now. He's 11 years old and I am a damn good parent. But because it's easier for everyone to assume it's the parents fault I was unable to get my son help for years. The doctors all said it must be something I'm doing. I must be an awful parent, I have no control over my son, it's child abuse. I've heard it all. As a result my son didn't get the help he needed until 5 months ago. I think it's great that society is so concerned about our children, but I think our children would be better served if steps were taken to first rule out under lying medical problems before we point fingers at the parents. My son is slowly on the road to recovery after finally getting a doctor to do a brain scan after 7 years and loads of BS. I understand that he is in the minority, but if we can save one child from going through what he has been through then I think we have an obligation to get our facts straight before we place blame.

June 21, 2007, 1:52 pm CDT

message to parents of the children

Quote From: mwcoffman

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO POST THIS BLOG! I HAVE TO TELL YOU I HAVE READ THROUGH ALL OF THESE AND YOUR BLOG IS DEFINETLY THE BEST YET!  I THINK WHEN YOU DO GET TIME YOU DO NEED TO WRITE A BOOK!  YOU MAY HAVE READ MY STORY I'M NOT SURE ABOUT MY DAUGHTER BUT ANYWAY EVERYTHING YOU SAID HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I HOPE WHEN YOU DO GET TO WRITE YOUR BOOK THAT I GET THE CHANCE TO READ IT! 

Please help your children, the results of sticking your head in the sand on a weight issue  with them can be devastating. My 16 year old son was the baby I was 40 yrs. old when he came to us. We all spoiled him anything he wanted including food. he was a normal sized baby but around 3 yrs old started to gain weight and go off the charts, has been overweight all through school, eating other children's lunches sneaking food etc. he has been bullied and made fun of so much he bacame a bully himself.  When we realized what we had done it was too late to change his habits we tried many diets and pills nothing helped, at 16he was 400 lbs. had severe sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and borderline diabetes. When began searching for a Dr. that would do a bariatric  bypass and found one in Dallas Texas. he recently had the surgery and has lost to date 60 lbs. he is now exercising  sleeping better and all symtoms of the high blood pressure and diabetes have disappeared. It is sad he had to go through this if we have been better informed and more diligent parents this could have been avoided. Good luck to all of your guests i hope they take your advise and save their children years of grief.

June 21, 2007, 2:24 pm CDT

06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

the parents could not care less Dr. Phil.  Don't waste your time or resources.  I can't wait to see the follow up to Harrisons story, nothing will have changed because the parents think they know more than you do-

June 21, 2007, 2:38 pm CDT

06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: dmhamilton

My son is 5 years old, and so far no one can figure out why he is so large. He was normal size at birth 7lbs 8oz, almost month early. In one month he almost doubled his weight, at 1 yr check up he was 35lbs. No junk food, no solids until 6 months just big eater. Now he is 90lbs at 5 year checkup. His brother is 42lbs and only 15 months younger, and eats the same foods. We have done every test imaginable, nothing so far. I must add he is also off charts on height as well. I am certain that some parents would much rather throw junk food at their children than actually cook, but it has became too easy to judge others when you have no idea what happens in their home.
I watch the health channel alot and lately they have been having alot of shows on overweight people.  For most its over eating and eating the wrong kinds of foods, but their was one family where the mother, father and a sibling were normal height and weight...none of them overweight one bit, but their son was very much overweight.  They all ate healthy so the family couldn't understand why their son just kept packing on the weight.  As a teenager he was able to get that gastrist bypass surgery. (sorry about my spelling on that).  Some time afterwards they showed him and he was very thin and much happier.  I am hearing on the media that for some people they don't seem to know when they are full and it may have been that case for this young man.  He ate quiet alot!  But wasn't using up enough engery to burn it off.  I am hoping soon they can come up with some sort of medical test on individuals showing if they have this chemical problem where they cannot tell when they are full.  I get full so quickly its frustrating...especially when the food is good and I want to eat more, I just can't.  But at the same time I am thankful so this way I don't have to worry about a weight problem.   Good luck on the drs figuring it out.

First | Prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next | Last