Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 21, 2007, 6:32 am CST

An m but no p

Quote From: ryleeguy

Thx a lot :) but I'm sure it was more like "palastisized" sounds like that anyway. Any other ideas?
That sounds like metastasized- it means to spread, usually with cancer.  In this case to worsed into the actual condition.  That's probably not what you were looking for, but i gave it a shot.

February 21, 2007, 8:50 am CST

:)

Quote From: gwarrior6

That sounds like metastasized- it means to spread, usually with cancer.  In this case to worsed into the actual condition.  That's probably not what you were looking for, but i gave it a shot.

Hey thanks that's just as good, means basically the same thing.

February 21, 2007, 4:31 pm CST

Whoops...

Quote From: gwarrior6

**worsen***

February 21, 2007, 4:51 pm CST

Parent's responsibility

I am 22 years old, a college student, working at a buffet type restaurant for the time being.   (Which I must say this right now, sure I work at a buffet, but I don't think that is what America needs, at all....buffets; a place where people get all they want to eat.....disgusting if you ask me......but it's just a job and it helps to pay my bills for right now......)What I am completely surprised of every day that I work is how fat parents are letting their children get!  Whatever happened to the parents giving proper portions to their children for their meals?  Whatever happened to parents sticking to their rules and saying no, you can't eat that?  These kids are getting so fat, I am shocked when they tell me that they are only 10 years old, or whatever age the CHILD is.....I know that many times with both parents working it just seems a whole lot easier to run through the drive thru at a fast food restaurant and pick them up their food, but it is soooooooo not healthy of a way to get accustomed to!  Our children will pay the price, becoming and staying obese unless someone, that's the parent takes charge again of what their kid eats.

February 22, 2007, 5:19 am CST

kids who eat...

Quote From: jennie_bailey

I am 22 years old, a college student, working at a buffet type restaurant for the time being.   (Which I must say this right now, sure I work at a buffet, but I don't think that is what America needs, at all....buffets; a place where people get all they want to eat.....disgusting if you ask me......but it's just a job and it helps to pay my bills for right now......)What I am completely surprised of every day that I work is how fat parents are letting their children get!  Whatever happened to the parents giving proper portions to their children for their meals?  Whatever happened to parents sticking to their rules and saying no, you can't eat that?  These kids are getting so fat, I am shocked when they tell me that they are only 10 years old, or whatever age the CHILD is.....I know that many times with both parents working it just seems a whole lot easier to run through the drive thru at a fast food restaurant and pick them up their food, but it is soooooooo not healthy of a way to get accustomed to!  Our children will pay the price, becoming and staying obese unless someone, that's the parent takes charge again of what their kid eats.

One of my brothers has a really fast metabolism.  He'll go into a Chinese buffet and get 3 plates piled high and go back for a huge dessert.  He looks like he's anorexic.  The boy can EAT...I think the buffet loses money when he comes in...yikes.  My uncle was the same way- when he was younger, he'd eat 5-7 chicken fried steaks at one sitting...of course he's like 6 foot 5 and thin as a whipet.  Sometimes paying $4.95 is more economical than buying a truckload of food for a trash compactor metabolism.  Unfortunately, like youre saying, i don't think fast metabolisms are very common anymore, especially with sedentary lifestyles on the rise.  Buffets should be less common than they are.

February 23, 2007, 4:05 pm CST

child abuse

Why is this not considered child abuse? Ever hear of the state taking a kid out of the home because the parents overfeed them? Nope ya dont'. This is wrong. What loving parent would willing risk their childs life by feeding them anything anytime they wanted? If the child has health issues (thyroid, etc) address it. This is worse than neglect.

February 23, 2007, 5:31 pm CST

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: billieab

Why is this not considered child abuse? Ever hear of the state taking a kid out of the home because the parents overfeed them? Nope ya dont'. This is wrong. What loving parent would willing risk their childs life by feeding them anything anytime they wanted? If the child has health issues (thyroid, etc) address it. This is worse than neglect.
In fact I have heard of child protective taking a child out of the home for suspected over feeding. I believe it was in New Mexico. It was a four year old little girl. Come to find out the parents weren't over feeding her she had a medical problem.

February 23, 2007, 7:10 pm CST

little boy, weight problem

I find that if the parent(s) are overweight, could chance that child(ren) will be too.  I feel that I the parents set a good example of healthy eating and exercising, that will help the child(ren). I agree that with both parents working and rushing around, they, the parents, just get junk food. Things are sure different today then when I grew up. Parents need to slow down and think of what is best for everyone involved. They can even prepare meals the day before and then reheat the next day.

February 26, 2007, 9:45 am CST

overfeeding

There are plenty of options the problem is that American parents are overscheduling themselves and their kids not caring what happens as long as they are doing eveything popular, making money and so forth. There is really no excuse for it. It can take as little as 10 minutes to prepare a healthy meal for a family they simply choose not to do so. It doesn't help that a lot of adults in this country have forgotten who the parent is and just do whatever the kids want. I see this a lot at my sons school. The school systems arent helping either with their lunches. The average lunch in our district is over 800 calories and is mostly fat and sodium. All the meat is breaded or served on bread. Its ridiculous. Parents need to get back on focus with what really matters their kids not their bank accounts and competeing with other parents as to whose kids won what trophy. Its really pathetic.

March 7, 2007, 5:48 pm CST

Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

This is where the problem of Morbid obesity starts. Children that are obese at a young age are prone to being morbid obese in there older age.

I bet this problem with young children is hard to fix. When children don't get what they want you can bet they kick ,scream, yell, scream all kinds of names, and get sneaky about  food. It gets to be the only way they know how to eat, and then you take that away from them. In hopes they will lose weight and get healthy. That is a tough road with overweight children.

First | Prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | Next | Last