Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 16, 2007, 1:55 pm CST

coffee...

Quote From: bactphd95

As an aside, I like both mustbecrazy's and your kitties. I probably should put a photo of one of ours in my profile.

Just looked up the nutrition facts. Granted, I'd expect a fruit salad to have sugars (I believe they have to report the naturally occurring sugars as well as any that would be added), but what in tarnation would be in an Asian salad to give it 12 g, or even a Caesar to get 5 g, unless the dressings are loaded up? Hmmm...I may have answered my own question.

Since we're on the subject of culinary weaknesses, what about coffee bar coffee? Not the regular stuff, but the double mocha latte with extra whipped cream...Yes, I skip the whipped cream and order "skinny" if I think of it, but still...that assumes I think of it! :-)

Uh-oh, you got me on my coffee rampade....;)

If you order the skinny (and you say that you do) and the sugar free syrups, it isn't so bad.  For example, the Cinnamon Dolce Latte with whip cream (16 oz) grande size has 46g of sugar, if you substitute the sugar free syrup and keep the whip cream,  there is 17 g of sugar!  Less than half, and even more if you skip the whip!

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_comparison_popup.asp?page=2&category=2

I have to drink the regular stuff in order to function...a caffeine addict to the core!  The regular stuff is supposed to reduce the risk of Parkinson's and diabetes.  The milk in the mocha/lattes has protein so it can combat the mid-morning hypoglycemia, so i'll treat myself to one every so often.

I've got a family history of diabetes, so i'm always looking at how to reduce sugar and starch intake- a good way to lose weight BTW.  Thanks for the compliment on the cat pic! My husband calls me a young cat lady...am not sure what to think about that! :)

February 17, 2007, 3:53 pm CST

Different family history here

Quote From: gwarrior6

Uh-oh, you got me on my coffee rampade....;)

If you order the skinny (and you say that you do) and the sugar free syrups, it isn't so bad.  For example, the Cinnamon Dolce Latte with whip cream (16 oz) grande size has 46g of sugar, if you substitute the sugar free syrup and keep the whip cream,  there is 17 g of sugar!  Less than half, and even more if you skip the whip!

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_comparison_popup.asp?page=2&category=2

I have to drink the regular stuff in order to function...a caffeine addict to the core!  The regular stuff is supposed to reduce the risk of Parkinson's and diabetes.  The milk in the mocha/lattes has protein so it can combat the mid-morning hypoglycemia, so i'll treat myself to one every so often.

I've got a family history of diabetes, so i'm always looking at how to reduce sugar and starch intake- a good way to lose weight BTW.  Thanks for the compliment on the cat pic! My husband calls me a young cat lady...am not sure what to think about that! :)

I don't have to worry so much about sugar and starch as much as about fat & cholesterol - when your maternal grandfather had his 1st heart attack in his mid-40s (heart disease did him in before he was 60), your mother had triple-bypass surgery well before her 60th birthday, and you look at your own cholesterol #s and realize it's when the Dr. puts you on the statin, rather than whether it happens... :-(

I, too, am a card-carrying caffeine addict, but b/c of the heart issues I can't overdo it. :-(

Didn't realize being a "cat lady" was an age thing...or even a gender one...my husband is a die-hard "cat person." :-)

February 18, 2007, 3:56 pm CST

cholesterol...

I don't have to worry so much about sugar and starch as much as about fat & cholesterol - when your maternal grandfather had his 1st heart attack in his mid-40s (heart disease did him in before he was 60), your mother had triple-bypass surgery well before her 60th birthday, and you look at your own cholesterol #s and realize it's when the Dr. puts you on the statin, rather than whether it happens... :-(

I, too, am a card-carrying caffeine addict, but b/c of the heart issues I can't overdo it. :-(

Didn't realize being a "cat lady" was an age thing...or even a gender one...my husband is a die-hard "cat person." :-)

Do you take fish oil?  That can help give you the HDL (good cholesterol) that carries the LDL out of your arteries and to your liver.  My Dad had 500 g/dL of cholesterol- "tar for blood" as he deemed it.  He did South Beach diet and lowered it back down to less than 200 (optimal).  Although, I think it might be harder than just diet and exercise in your case, genetics are hard to beat.  Sorry to hear about your cholesterol #'s.

When I think of the term "cat lady", I think it takes years of cat-collecting to earn such a distinguished title :)  I should have my PhD in feline appreciation by now...

My husband likes them too...and likes to poke fun at me!  I guess I'll settle on the term "cat lover".

February 18, 2007, 3:58 pm CST

P.S.

Love your kitty pic...what a sweetie!  :-)

February 19, 2007, 6:10 am CST

No fish oil supplements...yet

Do you take fish oil?  That can help give you the HDL (good cholesterol) that carries the LDL out of your arteries and to your liver.  My Dad had 500 g/dL of cholesterol- "tar for blood" as he deemed it.  He did South Beach diet and lowered it back down to less than 200 (optimal).  Although, I think it might be harder than just diet and exercise in your case, genetics are hard to beat.  Sorry to hear about your cholesterol #'s.

When I think of the term "cat lady", I think it takes years of cat-collecting to earn such a distinguished title :)  I should have my PhD in feline appreciation by now...

My husband likes them too...and likes to poke fun at me!  I guess I'll settle on the term "cat lover".

But I do try & eat fish relatively frequently.

As far as genetics, it seems to be luck of the draw. Mother & I are both slender & have the bad #s; Dad & sibling had/have serious weight issues but the #s were/are right in line.

"Cat lover" sounds like a good term...glad you like the pic!

February 19, 2007, 10:11 pm CST

help I'm looking for a word used 2/07/07

I just caught a bit of the Feb 7/07 show and I heard Dr. Phil use a word that meant "not yet manifested into" a disease in this case". The word started with the letter "p" I think. If anyone knows this word or taped the show can you please leave me a message here?? Thanks.

February 20, 2007, 10:36 am CST

Not sure...

Quote From: ryleeguy

I just caught a bit of the Feb 7/07 show and I heard Dr. Phil use a word that meant "not yet manifested into" a disease in this case". The word started with the letter "p" I think. If anyone knows this word or taped the show can you please leave me a message here?? Thanks.

I think, and don't quote me on this, that Dr. Phil was talking about pre-diabetes, and prehypertension.  It was just the  p-r-e before the word.  He was saying that by allowing the kid to remain overweight, he was putting him at risk for a myriad of health problems.

February 20, 2007, 10:42 am CST

aspirin?

But I do try & eat fish relatively frequently.

As far as genetics, it seems to be luck of the draw. Mother & I are both slender & have the bad #s; Dad & sibling had/have serious weight issues but the #s were/are right in line.

"Cat lover" sounds like a good term...glad you like the pic!

Just curious, but do you take a baby aspirin a day?  It's supposed to prevent heart attacks by thinning out the blood.  Although, it can cause ulcers and perfuse bleeding - a danger for me because I have trouble clotting.  It might be okay if taken every other day.  Anyway, just wondered if you do or not because I heard it was advisable for women under 65 to take it.

February 20, 2007, 1:48 pm CST

Nope

Just curious, but do you take a baby aspirin a day?  It's supposed to prevent heart attacks by thinning out the blood.  Although, it can cause ulcers and perfuse bleeding - a danger for me because I have trouble clotting.  It might be okay if taken every other day.  Anyway, just wondered if you do or not because I heard it was advisable for women under 65 to take it.
At least, not at this point (my 50-something husband does, though). And, the very latest guidelines are words to the effect of "see your doctor; it's not right for every woman under 65." Most women under 65 can do without many of the supplements, too. So much for what we've been told the last 15 years. Stay tuned...

February 20, 2007, 7:57 pm CST

Thx but still looking

I think, and don't quote me on this, that Dr. Phil was talking about pre-diabetes, and prehypertension.  It was just the  p-r-e before the word.  He was saying that by allowing the kid to remain overweight, he was putting him at risk for a myriad of health problems.
Thx a lot :) but I'm sure it was more like "palastisized" sounds like that anyway. Any other ideas?

First | Prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next | Last