Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 10, 2007, 10:01 am CST

There is a way to tell

Quote From: momoftwoboyz

Not to make excuses, but cant kids just be "husky", my son who is 12 is a husky kid, has been since he was 5 years old, not obese at all, just chubby. He walks or rides his bike to school everyday, plays football, baseball, works out at the Y at least 2 times a week, and he is still just a big kid. He does not over eat, we dont keep a lot of junk food around the house, he loves salads and vegatables. Genetically, arent some people just bigger than others?

There is a way to tell if your kid is husky or fat. Pinch (not hard) as much flesh between your thumb and forefinger on his belly. If it is an inch or more, he is not husky, he is fat.

February 10, 2007, 6:59 pm CST

Teen Daughter

Quote From: fmn2006

I too have a teenage daughter and I know how she asserts her independence.  But, I also know that she really does want my help and advice.  The trick is to give the advice and help without them thinking it's for them.

I have read a lot on herbs, so I'll add a new one to a dinner and I'll bring up a conversation about what I learned about the new herb.  I don't tell my daughter how it will help her or that she really should be eating it, I just get excited about sharing what I learned and that I want it for me.

Overtime, I've gotten my daughter interested and concerned about what she eats.  She is still a teenager and will go off with friends to fast food places but she knows the scoop.  I've always fed her very healthy but as she got older and became more independent, I had to find ways for her to do it on her own.  She will seldom ever choose soda when dining out and that includes when I'm not there.  I didn't give her soda growing up but she eventually discovered it and I had to find a way for her to make a better choice on her own.

Part of the problem with your daughter is that she's probably depressed about her weight.  You talking about it just tells her how noticable it is to you and everyone else.  Even though you're her mother, she is embarrassed by the topic so doesn't want to discuss it.  And, mood is also affected by foods so she is stuck in a mental state that she doesn't even know could be better.

Get a few health books and read them yourself.  Don't get a diet or exercise book or some weight loss plan or cookbook.  When you start to learn new information, just share it with your daughter.  For example, you could share with her how to strengthen the immune system so that you don't get the cold and flu virus.  That takes the focus off of her weight which she only sees as an appearance problem, and now the focus is on health which was your objective all along.

You have good ideas, and I try new ways to introduce her to things, but she shys away.  I think it's my fault because I overdid it this past year.  I am going to just continue to eat healthy, not talk about weight, dieting or anything related to it anymore. 

I hope someday she will realize that even though I may have not presented it to her in the right fashion, I was trying to do what is/was best for her health.

I do love her for who she is, and I want her to love herself enough to want to be healthly.

Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice.

February 11, 2007, 9:51 am CST

Pretty judgemental here

Quote From: navywings

Dad....Joshua looks great. Nice job! Now all you need to do is lose the stupid rat tail you have him sporting.
What in the world does the way the child wears his hair have to do with his health?

February 11, 2007, 11:49 am CST

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: tvarela

You have good ideas, and I try new ways to introduce her to things, but she shys away.  I think it's my fault because I overdid it this past year.  I am going to just continue to eat healthy, not talk about weight, dieting or anything related to it anymore. 

I hope someday she will realize that even though I may have not presented it to her in the right fashion, I was trying to do what is/was best for her health.

I do love her for who she is, and I want her to love herself enough to want to be healthly.

Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice.

I think you are making the right decision. I used to be a Weight Watchers counselor, and I witness far too many parents dragging or bribing their kids to the meetings. These well intentioned parents were pushing their kids in the wrong direction, and they invariably failed and often made the problem worse.

I think this is the key. Forget the weight issue. Love your daughter...focus on doing things together that will make her feel good about herself without weight loss being the end goal.

My mother nagged me about my weight and tried to help me. Since I was an emotional eater, having somebody point out my weakness and flaws just made me turn to my number one comfort source. When I turned 30 I finally figured out that I deserved to feel good about myself...I lost the weight and I have been at a healthy weight for almost nine years. It's still a struggle, but it is MY struggle. Your daughter is past the age where you have a great deal of control, and you are right in accepting that. Good luck to you both!

February 13, 2007, 11:42 am CST

I like Wendy's too

Quote From: elffie

There's not a big difference, but their hamburgers and chicken nuggets are a lot better at Wendy's. LOL

Niether one is great for health, but since I can choose which place to go to I choose Wendy's.  It's not like we go everyday or every week, that's why I feel it's not bad to go when we do because it's not very often.

Wendy's is also cheaper. LMAO

I think there are healthier options at Wendy's- you don't have to include fries with a combo, you can get fruit, chili, or a baked potato.  I think their salads are actually fresher.  The fries and the burgers are equally bad for you, but you don't have to go for that when you eat there.  Also, I heard that McDonald's puts sugar in their salads (an addictive substance) as well as their buns!  Yech! You still don't want to eat Wendy's at every meal, but I enjoy it as an occasional treat.

February 13, 2007, 1:00 pm CST

salad bar

Quote From: gwarrior6

I think there are healthier options at Wendy's- you don't have to include fries with a combo, you can get fruit, chili, or a baked potato.  I think their salads are actually fresher.  The fries and the burgers are equally bad for you, but you don't have to go for that when you eat there.  Also, I heard that McDonald's puts sugar in their salads (an addictive substance) as well as their buns!  Yech! You still don't want to eat Wendy's at every meal, but I enjoy it as an occasional treat.

Pizza Hut has a salad bar.  You don't have to order pizza...just have the salad.  You can also order low carb pizza crust.  As far as junk food goes, pizza is healthier than hamburgers and fries.  As you say, not every night...just as an occasional treat. 

I think that fast food restaurants do need to focus on healthier options...USA is the fattest nation in the world...fatter adults, and fatter kids...there is way to much junk food available...not just in fast food restaurants...the grocery stores have multiple isles devoted to junk food...let's see bigger produce sections, and more education on healthy choices...let's see the junk food machines removed from all schools.

February 13, 2007, 1:08 pm CST

overweight children

Those parents with overweight children need to watch the February 16th show.  It is about morbidly obese adults whose weight issues have separated them from the outside world.  "Big Renunions" is the name of the show.  Dr. Phil is reuniting these people with family members who haven't seen them for years because of the weight issues.

Do parents of overweight children really want this kind of a future for their kids???  These morbidly obese people...one is 900 pounds...can't even get out of bed, let alone the house.  I'd like to know who is bringing them all that food...it must take a lot of food to maintain that much weight.  I hope that the show will be an eye-opener for parents with overweight kids...if they don't get some sense and start teaching their kids healthy eating and exercise habits now, that could be the future their kids can look forward to.

PARENTS OF OVERWEIGHT KIDS...WATCH THE FEB. 16TH SHOW...MAYBE YOU'LL GET SOME SENSE AND START FEEDING YOUR KIDS THE RIGHT WAY!!

February 13, 2007, 5:46 pm CST

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: mustbecrazy

Those parents with overweight children need to watch the February 16th show.  It is about morbidly obese adults whose weight issues have separated them from the outside world.  "Big Renunions" is the name of the show.  Dr. Phil is reuniting these people with family members who haven't seen them for years because of the weight issues.

Do parents of overweight children really want this kind of a future for their kids???  These morbidly obese people...one is 900 pounds...can't even get out of bed, let alone the house.  I'd like to know who is bringing them all that food...it must take a lot of food to maintain that much weight.  I hope that the show will be an eye-opener for parents with overweight kids...if they don't get some sense and start teaching their kids healthy eating and exercise habits now, that could be the future their kids can look forward to.

PARENTS OF OVERWEIGHT KIDS...WATCH THE FEB. 16TH SHOW...MAYBE YOU'LL GET SOME SENSE AND START FEEDING YOUR KIDS THE RIGHT WAY!!

i don't know if it would take all that much food...slow metabolism and very little movement would keep quite a bit of that weight there in and of itself

February 14, 2007, 8:40 am CST

I think the key, here, is frequency

Quote From: gwarrior6

If you are out eating at the fast food places two or three times a week, that is too much.

There are three very important inventions that can help these families. It will be cheaper for them. the three inventions are: Stove, a pot to cook in, and a cookbook.

I think these women never learned to cook.

I used to work at a place that served special needs children. Quite often, one mother brought in her son a little late and told us he never had time for breakfast and left us with a bag of chips or cheetos to feed the child.

I think anyone getting food stamps should be required to take cooking classes provided by the state. For many poor people pay day means eating out at a fast food place and pizzas until the money runs out. I worked for Health and Welfare, I know.

February 14, 2007, 8:41 am CST

If you fail to exercise

Quote From: faeryedark

i don't know if it would take all that much food...slow metabolism and very little movement would keep quite a bit of that weight there in and of itself
If you don't exercise, your metabolism willl slow down.

First | Prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | Next | Last