Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 9, 2007, 12:26 pm CST

LOL

Quote From: penny_lady

If you read my post you'd see that I am not certain about it at all...I am sure there is SOME minor hand/eye benefit, but it is certainly outweighed by the sittin' on yer *** part of it! LOL

I am VERY MUCH in favor of playing outside over a video game any day of the week. As I said, my husband makes his living off of programming video games and even he will say that the hand/eye thing hokey. LOL
Actually, I was responding to you and the other person on the post.  I do like your sense of humor about this!

February 9, 2007, 2:04 pm CST

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: lilianaem

You cant bribe a child or anyone to lose weight. That's totally wrong. Also it's not just about not eating food..you have to be eating the correct foods and the correct amounts. Not to mention regular physical activity is needed to lose weight. For everything you eat there is a certain amount of exercise required to burn off the calories from the food. Maybe there is some type of sport  at her school or dance class that your daughter would be interested in? Something that's fun while at the same time is exercise. You don't want to create some type of eating disorder in your daughter. While it is a good thing to be watching what you eat you cant let her become obesessed with it.

I totally agree with you and boy did my husband hear an earfull from me when I found out what he was trying to do.  I am trying to get her active (dance, karate, ti kawn do (sp), sports) she wont do them and I cant force her.  One this is when the weather is nicer she does like bike rides and walks so that can start soon.  She does walk to and from school everyday and is active (plays outside with friends etc) but probably not active enough.  I am in March taking her to her doctor and getting a full physical and lab work up done.  No I am not trying to blame anything medical but I just want to make sure....diabetes and thyroid problems do run in the family I just want to be safe.  Big part of it is eating better (for all of us).

February 9, 2007, 3:23 pm CST

Quote From: jettav

I don't like Mcdonald's. Their  hamburger makes me sick, WEndy's, I get their saladsa nd once in a great while I get a chicken sandwhich, Burger King has good chicken sandwhiches, but I can do without those places but Man, I can't live without TACO BELL,LOLLLLLLL, AN accasional Taco Bell for me is good,LOLLLLLLL
LOLOL, I know, but the point is they are all the same nutritionally speaking.

February 9, 2007, 6:19 pm CST

Carla and Jennifer

I couldn't believe Carla and Jennifer wanted to focus on whom was doing what! They would rather fight with each other to be right rather than focus on what they needed to do to get their son/grandson healthy. And to cry to Dr. Phil saying he doesn't know what it's like to be a grandmother? OMG....I almost peed my panys laughing! So it's about how SHE feels not how healthy her grandson should be? How self centered of her. I guess she'll be proud when her 700 lb grandson still loves her. Gimme a break.

February 9, 2007, 6:24 pm CST

Joshua

Dad....Joshua looks great. Nice job! Now all you need to do is lose the stupid rat tail you have him sporting.

February 9, 2007, 7:10 pm CST

I'm sorry...HAHAHA but do you really think the same movie couldn't have been made about A&W or Wendy's?

Why are you ethically against McDonalds but not A&W? This seems like a trendy thing to me lately..people hate McDonalds while they eat their Carl's Jr. or Burger King...HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh I get that they're all the same, hehe, just A&W's burgers aren't as greasy, and I suppose because it was done about McDonalds, and the one in my area is just gross anyway.

February 9, 2007, 7:50 pm CST

LOLOL, I know, but the point is they are all the same nutritionally speaking.
Yea, I know.

February 10, 2007, 7:48 am CST

I guess it depends on where you live but McDonalds and Wendy's are the same to me. Greasy burgers and fries. I guess I don't see the difference.

There's not a big difference, but their hamburgers and chicken nuggets are a lot better at Wendy's. LOL

Niether one is great for health, but since I can choose which place to go to I choose Wendy's.  It's not like we go everyday or every week, that's why I feel it's not bad to go when we do because it's not very often.

Wendy's is also cheaper. LMAO

February 10, 2007, 7:53 am CST

I'm sorry...HAHAHA but do you really think the same movie couldn't have been made about A&W or Wendy's?

Why are you ethically against McDonalds but not A&W? This seems like a trendy thing to me lately..people hate McDonalds while they eat their Carl's Jr. or Burger King...HAHAHAHAHAHA

That documentary was done on McDonald's because there are approximtly 13,000 McDonald's in the world.  Everyone knows what McDonald's is.  When I watched the movie I applied what they had to say to ALL fast food chains when they spoke of bad nutrition.

But I still like Wendy's. LOL  Again, we don't go everyday or everyweek.

February 10, 2007, 9:54 am CST

yeah, but

Quote From: idamag

The show was about a man who weighed close to 800 lbs. He could not move about in his own home. His blood pressure was off the charts and he was close to a heart attack or a stroke. He was hospitalized and under a strict regimen. Nurses checking his bedside stand found it full of junk food, He wasn't able to get out and get this junk food and the hospital certainly didn't supply it.
Yes, but maybe he had good hand-eye cordination, you suppose?

First | Prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | Next | Last