Message Boards

Topic : 06/21 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Number of Replies: 370
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 02, 2007, 03:08:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/07/07) More than half a billion adults are overweight worldwide, but even more shocking is that millions of children are already on the road to obesity. Amy’s son, Harrison, is only 7 years old, but already weighs 152 pounds. She says her husband, Tim, has no problem with their son’s size. He feeds the boy cookies, chips and ice cream, and even sneaks sugary snacks into his room at night. Amy fears that they’re killing their son with food. Is Tim the only one to blame for Harrison’s weight problem? World-renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares his thoughts. Then, Carla wrote to Dr. Phil because her 4-year-old grandson, Logan, is already 30 pounds overweight. She says he has terrible eating habits and even breaks into the cupboard to sneak junk food. Carla wants to help him but says she can’t discuss the problem with her daughter, Jennifer, without an argument. Can Carla and Jennifer stop fighting long enough to start Logan on the path to weight loss? Plus, when Josh was on the show four years ago, he was 4 years old, 155 pounds and could barely walk. Dr. Phil worried that the little boy wouldn’t live to see another year. Is Josh still in jeopardy? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More June 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 9, 2007, 5:19 am CST

My son

Sometimes I wish my son would eat like that because every time I cook for him he doesn't eat a thing. His doctor has said that he a little below average but well proportioned! I just can't believe that parents wouldnt control their childrens weight just a little bit better than that! It's just amazing!

February 9, 2007, 6:47 am CST

02/07 Little Boys, Big Weight Problems

Quote From: ricschic

I'm sorry, but you're off the mark here. Affording nutritious food can depend on how many mouthes you're feeding as well. You can buy a generic bag of chips cheaper than you can buy a bag of apples. Lean cuts of meat are more expensive. For the single mother attempting to feed more than one mouth, it's very hard to afford the healthy alternatives. I know you're going to disagree with me, and that's ok.

This just blows my mind that someone would actually say its a better alternative to buy chips than apples or that its hard to afford healthy alternatives.   I can routinely put a healthy meal on the table for less than $6 for our family of five (soup, salad, dessert, milk).  An entire crockpot of soup, depending on ingredients, can cost $2 or less,and it tastes fantastic!  I think a lot of this issue is about the idea of taking the time to prepare healthy food, but a crockpot can ease that process in an amazing way!

I've got to tell you.  I have three kids under age 4, and my 4-year-old wouldn't know what a Twinkie was if I put it on the table, and she has never had a pizza roll in her life.  Her favorite foods are apples and carrots, and we set our house up like that from the beginning.  We simply don't buy junk food. 

Just an example for you:  My 4-year-old had yesterday:  Breakfast:  Bowl of cereal and OJ, Lunch:  Sandwich, carrots, green beans, pickles, apple, and water.  Supper:  Soup, bread, broccoli, jello, milk.  Snacks:  Yogurt, banana, grahm cracker.     (Note:  These items are on her menu each and every day:  carrots, apple, yogurt, banana -- it never changes, and she loves it!) 

I grew up in a family where we had dessert at every meal.  When I got married, and I started preparing the meals for my husband and I, one of his first comments was "We don't need dessert at every meal, we're not farmers!"  Meaning that....our lifestyle simply doesn't support the need for heavy eating.  Another thing is that our lives don't revolve around food.  Food is simply something to sustain us.  We don't make food the center of our celebrations.  Don't get me wrong -- we will go out to eat on occasion...if its with friends or family...but on any given day, we'd rather eat at home.  We prefer to cook & clean together, and our kids are learning valuable lessons about food preparation and how to clean up and how to have fun in the kitchen.   I don't necessarily think its always 'easier' to go out to eat anyway...by the time we'd get the kids ready and in the car, I could have already whipped up something.

February 9, 2007, 8:47 am CST

Quote From: ceildh1

That movie grossed me out bad enough McDonalds dosen't get any of my money anymore, though I do have a weakness for A&W hehe, and poutine ( french fries with gravy and cheese curds)tastes better than it looks.

But like I've said, MODRATION is the key, and my theory as to why dieting dosen't work, the minute you tell yourself NOT to eat that piece of cheesecake, you might find yourself eating the whole thing

Exactly.  That's why I do give my kids treats every once in a while, it's just not every day.  I feel they eat healthy enough so they can have that cookie once in a while, but not EVERY DAY like the parents on the show were doing.

And I really, really, really do not like McDonald's.  I think they're food is gross and so does my son.  He says, "McDonald's is gross!" LOL  I'm sure he heard that from my husband and I.  If we do go out, we go to Wendy's.  But again, it's not every day or every week like the parents on the show.

February 9, 2007, 9:51 am CST

Quote From: elffie

Exactly.  That's why I do give my kids treats every once in a while, it's just not every day.  I feel they eat healthy enough so they can have that cookie once in a while, but not EVERY DAY like the parents on the show were doing.

And I really, really, really do not like McDonald's.  I think they're food is gross and so does my son.  He says, "McDonald's is gross!" LOL  I'm sure he heard that from my husband and I.  If we do go out, we go to Wendy's.  But again, it's not every day or every week like the parents on the show.

I guess it depends on where you live but McDonalds and Wendy's are the same to me. Greasy burgers and fries. I guess I don't see the difference.

February 9, 2007, 9:53 am CST

Quote From: ceildh1

That movie grossed me out bad enough McDonalds dosen't get any of my money anymore, though I do have a weakness for A&W hehe, and poutine ( french fries with gravy and cheese curds)tastes better than it looks.

But like I've said, MODRATION is the key, and my theory as to why dieting dosen't work, the minute you tell yourself NOT to eat that piece of cheesecake, you might find yourself eating the whole thing

I'm sorry...HAHAHA but do you really think the same movie couldn't have been made about A&W or Wendy's?

Why are you ethically against McDonalds but not A&W? This seems like a trendy thing to me lately..people hate McDonalds while they eat their Carl's Jr. or Burger King...HAHAHAHAHAHA

February 9, 2007, 11:05 am CST

Quote From: penny_lady

I guess it depends on where you live but McDonalds and Wendy's are the same to me. Greasy burgers and fries. I guess I don't see the difference.
I don't like Mcdonald's. Their  hamburger makes me sick, WEndy's, I get their saladsa nd once in a great while I get a chicken sandwhich, Burger King has good chicken sandwhiches, but I can do without those places but Man, I can't live without TACO BELL,LOLLLLLLL, AN accasional Taco Bell for me is good,LOLLLLLLL

February 9, 2007, 11:08 am CST

Quote From: penny_lady

Amen to all of you who are against McDonald's - but I have to agree FAST FOOD is FAST FOOD no matter where it comes from.  If dining out my family would rather go to a local Steak House and eat steak or any other grilled meat and salad - very seldom do any of us get the potato that comes with the meal.  It is not that much more expensive than a Number 3 at McDonald's and more satisfying.

February 9, 2007, 11:17 am CST

Quote From: mommy2007

This just blows my mind that someone would actually say its a better alternative to buy chips than apples or that its hard to afford healthy alternatives.   I can routinely put a healthy meal on the table for less than $6 for our family of five (soup, salad, dessert, milk).  An entire crockpot of soup, depending on ingredients, can cost $2 or less,and it tastes fantastic!  I think a lot of this issue is about the idea of taking the time to prepare healthy food, but a crockpot can ease that process in an amazing way!

I've got to tell you.  I have three kids under age 4, and my 4-year-old wouldn't know what a Twinkie was if I put it on the table, and she has never had a pizza roll in her life.  Her favorite foods are apples and carrots, and we set our house up like that from the beginning.  We simply don't buy junk food. 

Just an example for you:  My 4-year-old had yesterday:  Breakfast:  Bowl of cereal and OJ, Lunch:  Sandwich, carrots, green beans, pickles, apple, and water.  Supper:  Soup, bread, broccoli, jello, milk.  Snacks:  Yogurt, banana, grahm cracker.     (Note:  These items are on her menu each and every day:  carrots, apple, yogurt, banana -- it never changes, and she loves it!) 

I grew up in a family where we had dessert at every meal.  When I got married, and I started preparing the meals for my husband and I, one of his first comments was "We don't need dessert at every meal, we're not farmers!"  Meaning that....our lifestyle simply doesn't support the need for heavy eating.  Another thing is that our lives don't revolve around food.  Food is simply something to sustain us.  We don't make food the center of our celebrations.  Don't get me wrong -- we will go out to eat on occasion...if its with friends or family...but on any given day, we'd rather eat at home.  We prefer to cook & clean together, and our kids are learning valuable lessons about food preparation and how to clean up and how to have fun in the kitchen.   I don't necessarily think its always 'easier' to go out to eat anyway...by the time we'd get the kids ready and in the car, I could have already whipped up something.

I never could understand the dessert thing after dinner every night,LOLLLL.  Especially when going out to a nice restaurante where the portions are big and you usually have left overs, enough for another meal, How can people eat that much!!LOLLLLLLLLLLL!

We very rarely  have dessert in my home, my girls like to go out so once in a while, we will and we will get an ice cream or something special, it's very rare in my house, would go too fast. I believe Kids do learn eating habits from their parents, it's all about what we teach them.

And nutricious food is not all that expensive, Like I said in a another post, some people do not know how or what to eat to be healthy, I think for hte most part people do as they were taught and until the cyle is broken, it will continue.

Gotta know what's good for you and how to shop but unfortuantely some people don't know this stuff. I know I persoanlly had to learn it, in my home, we all defended for our selves, not a good sceneio, I was clueless on what a good nutricious meal was but thankfully, I outsmarted those ways, thanks to my scouting and nutricious classes/programs  that I have under my belt.

February 9, 2007, 11:31 am CST

hello...i sure would appreciate some input/feedback on a current situation...a pediatric endocrinologist told my "niece" her middle child, female-aged 7, would  develop diabetes by the time she was 15, if the mother didn't take control of the child's diet immediately...this was in october, and after waiting 6 weeks for the mother to implement some changes, much less even TELL THE FATHER(!!) i began to say things...well, i've alienated the mother now...she's mad-mad-mad that i told people about what she told me the doctor said--because she wasn't going to tell her husband...she now denies the dr. said anything at all, mostly because she was caught keeping medical information about his child from him, but, also, i think, because she weighs about350, and she told me she couldn't control what the kids eat because, "i can't control what i eat"...she has to be wrong for this, right??? i mean, am i making too much of this??? thanks in advance for advice!!

February 9, 2007, 11:45 am CST

Congratulations Josh!! What an incredible change. I am so proud of you. You seem so much happier and full of life now. That is absolutely wonderful. God bless your father and step-mother for taking you in and giving you the love, support and guidance to help you lead and live a healthier and happier life that you so needed.

As far as the other parents in which are enabling this unhealthy and unsatisfying life for their children, you really need to step up, take control, be a parent and help your children live a long, healthy, happy and active life. These children are suffering and they are so young. That really saddens me. They are trusting you and depending on you to take care of them, nurture them and look out for their best interest in life.

First | Prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | Next | Last