Message Boards

Topic : 01/22 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention, Part 3

Number of Replies: 285
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, January 19, 2007, 01:21:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The story continues with Alex, a 14-year-old girl who moved into The Dr. Phil House with her mom, grandmother and aunt. Alex’s family asked Dr. Phil to intervene because they couldn’t stop Alex from prostituting herself to older men. Dr. Phil confronts Alex’s aunt, Enza, and her mother, Kim, about how their venomous relationship is affecting Alex and leading her to turn to men for comfort. Enza apologizes for her behavior with Alex, and finds a new ally in the house, against Kim’s mother, Jeanette. Jeanette overhears a discussion about her and angrily informs Kim that she will find a new place to live. After confiscating Alex’s cell phone, Kim listens to a voicemail from an older man, trying to contact Alex for sex. Private investigator, Harold Copus, meets with Alex and gets information on the older men she says she’s been with, so they can be taken off the streets. On their last day in the House, Dr. Phil breaks the news to Alex that she won’t be returning home with her family. Find out where she’s going and what makes her break down in tears. Then, talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More January 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 24, 2007, 8:34 am CST

Is Enza for real?

Quote From: julz49221

I think that Enza really needs to butt out all together. Who does she think she is??? Enza doesnt raise Alex ; shes not her mom, shes causing more harm than good. She says one thing to one person in the house and then goes behind their back and causes problems. She needs to totally stay out of the situation
Why does Enza have so much say in this family? If she acts like this way when the cameras are on her, how bad does she act when the're not! If she were my sister in law, she would be a very distant relative. She needs to be out of the house, Dr. Phil stop giving her air time, all she wants is her 15 minutes of fame, if she really wanted to help, she would not put her mother down so much, no matter how bad her mother is, she is still her mother.

January 24, 2007, 9:36 am CST

feel your pain

Quote From: campers97

my 15 year old son suffers from autistic spectrum disorder,which may lead to schizophrenia

the school has mainstreamed him but now high school is not only a challenge but very scary,as hes heading tward a rough school..you are not alone.,god only gives special children to special people..keep your head high..my nightmares have been very real,but if you have a tough time imagine what the children face..my son goes to school every day being picked on and when he says something or acts out guess whos sent home?Just hang in there god bless and know your not alone out there...i hope you recieve the help your looking for..

I too have a 15 year old daughter that has been diagnosed with OCD, ADHD, Sensory Integration disorder at an early age of 7.  By 12 bi-polar was added to the list and possibly asberger syndrome.  When she started middle school, I knew things would worsen with the teasing and school work and it did.

We have seeked all kinds of help with outside counseling and psychiatric help.  She has been hospitalized twice at a mental health hospital (tried to harm herself), but also because of her age (13 at the time) she had rights just like an adult and could check herself out at anytime.  Luckily we have medical insurance that pays a portion of mental health but not all.  We have tried to find a institution that could possible get her the help she needs (something like Alex is going to) but insurance does not pay for something like this.  The time she was at the mental hospital did cost $10,000 for 5 days.  How can anyone afford this let alone a facility for 6 months that Alex is going to.  Alex is VERY lucky that Dr. Phil is paying the bill for this because I'm sure it's probably cost about $20,000 a month if not more.

My daughter has been on different meds trying to find the one that helps her and have found a few.  She was alot like Alex in the way of sneaking out of the house at all hours of the night and meeting up with guys for drinking and sex.  We have caught her several times and even now have a driveway alerts.  She has gotten a little better over the last year, had to change schools (goes to a alternative high school) and doesn't sneak out anymore but now we have a bigger problem!  She is pregnant.  She does have a boyfriend and he is the father. 

She and the father do not want to get an abortion or adoption.  I am getting up in years (48) and don't necessarily want to raise another baby but I will just to help my daughter and my grandchild.

I worry so MUCH for my daughter's future and this baby's future.  This has been a tremendous burden on our family.  I have two other daughter's 17 and 13 and has caused alot of turmoil.  We still  are go to counseling and all I can do is pray to God for patients and guideness.

January 24, 2007, 10:03 am CST

You must have missed...

Quote From: katerine

(Oops... I accidentally posted this on the 1/8 show board before. I was wondering why there weren't any new posts since yesterday :) )

Ok... this was just... bizarre.

So... Dr. Phil shows Enza the error of her ways, and she's immediately contrite. So far, so good.

And she really, truly, from the bottom of her heart, wants Kim to be happy?

What???

That makes no sense.

And the really weird thing is... I think Enza is really, truly trying. The way she behaved toward Alex after that was actually, you know... sane.

But what's all this about how she really wants Kim to be happy, and they've been through a lot together? Umm...

And how exactly is anything Jeannette's fault? She never says anything! How can anything be her fault if she's invisible, mute, and inconsequential?

I am really confused.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see that Alex is getting away from all of this for a while. I don't think it's particularly fair that they didn't give her, say, a day to get used to the idea, but I suppose they probably know what they're doing better than I do.

You must have missed the part where Enza demeaned Alex in the guise of trying to help her. You need to re-read the horrible things she said and did to Alex.

Since Kim let Alex spend time, with Enza, Enza shows behavior that very well could have mixed Alex up.

January 24, 2007, 2:18 pm CST

01/22 The Dr. Phil House: Teen Intervention, Part 3

Sweet Holy Moses! I must say that watching the full scale attack by Enza on Alex's mother should have been a rude awakening for everyone who has ever been the victim of a bully's rage. She is one emotionally unwell person. I would hope that Alex's mother, who while not a glowing example of motherhood herself, would begin to see how she has allowed this woman, Enza, to badger her and beat her down. She has allowed herself to be completely defeated by this most unhappy woman. I once had a friend, we'll call her Enza-like, who was so demeaning to me when I was in my early 20's. This was pre-therapy, and I had no healthy coping mechanisms in place to combat this kind of behavior in my life. Once I started therapy, I was able to tell Ms. Enza-like, that I would continue to be friends with her only if she stopped treating me like someone with no intelligence. She denied, of course, her bullying behavior, and then, voila! I never heard from her again. No loss, really. Sometimes, we have to do this with friends. Sometimes we have to do this with family. If they are hurting us and those we love, sometimes, it's in the best interest of everyone involved to rid ourselves of these people. By doing so, perhaps, Enza will begin to take a look at her own horrific behavior and maybe get some help for herself. Her halo is so dirty that calcium deposits shaped like horns are the only things we're seeing. Good grief, she practically foamed at the mouth as she chomped at the bit, allowing NOONE to get a word in edgewise. I was exhausted just from watching it!

I pray tremendous success for Alex and her immediate family. There is love there and it is evident. Somewhere along the line, the person who needs to be control, Mama, lost it. I pray that she can find it again...and truly begin to love herself so she can love her children.

Thanks for being brave enough to share your family's dilemma with us. There are lots of people in your positon who have no idea how to ask for help. You're helping them. I commend your courage.

January 24, 2007, 5:10 pm CST

Boundaries

Quote From: shetypes

I seen alot of what you did and my daughter is very close to her Aunt who is not always a good influence but I am glad she has her.  An Aunt should be an active part of childrens lives, they are a good source to go to when Mom aint?  I seen grandma as being held to way too high a standard when the Mom and Aunt was unable to have thier own higher standard?

I didn't see her needing more boundaries, she is taking care of the kids and house, suppose to monitor teenagers?  Uggg  sad a grandma has to do that and not get enforced respect to her?

hard job I'd say, she is the one who should run away, show them what its like to take care fo the kids themselves and not have her as a escape goat? Plus she wouldn't be there on them many weekends for Mom to go out drinking?

Boundaries go both ways. Jeanette would benefit in the long run from them as well. Good or bad, Jeanette has raised her children. A grandmother's role is NOT one of raising  her grand babies, but to be a part of their lives. It is NOT her place. Maybe by her not being in the house it would require Kim to step up to plate more often.

And Jeanette doesn't HAVE to do anything, it has been her choice.  Kim can't  make her do what she doesn't want to do.

Again...BOUNDARIES

January 24, 2007, 10:36 pm CST

Enza is so Wrong!

Hi all,

I don't know how you feel but this is the most frustrating Dr. Phil series I have ever seen. I am sure he has his reasons but I sat through 2 episodes of this show thinking for the first time watching Dr. Phil that "this must be for ratings". I have watched Dr. Phil and/or his team intevene when an obese man complained in the house because the other houseguests refused to allow him to eat unless he showered, yet he allowed the kitchen fight to go on and on between Enza and Kim without intervention, no matter how it was affecting Alex. The key words that upset me were Enza saying "Look what you raised!" while pointing to Alex. Kim was in no way shape or form being as nasty and /or irresponsible as Enza. I cannot stand this woman and if she were part of my life I would ban her from being anywhere near my children. She is a destructive influence and should be treated as so.

That brings me to my next point. How is Enza related? I think once I heard Sister-in-Law and if that is the case then where is her brother in this whole scheme and why does she only blame Kim for Alex's problems? Enza is such a self righteous know it all she makes me want to scream through the TV. I want to tell Kim "Get her out of your life" she is not doing any good. I think Dr. Phil has let Enza go way too far without reigning her in. Kim keeps a fairly even temper while this woman trashes her to anyone that will listen as well as her own daughter. I don't think I could be so gracious. Kim, get a backbone and kick this woman to the curb!

Additionally, Enza has convinced Kim to turn on her own Mother. She may not be a perfect influence but she raised Kim and should not have to raise Kim's children. That is the cycle of life. I agree that Kim should not depend on her mother to help raise her children particulary without giving her mother the aility to disipline, but she should respect her mother because she IS her mother. Maybe they do need separate homes but this is NOT Enza's decision. She needs to stay out of the whole thing! She is nothing but a disruptive influence.

Finally, Kim, take control of your life and your relationship with your children. Remove anyone that would disturb that relationship. Focus on yourself and your relationship with your children and I believe you will find that regardless of past mistakes you can turn this around. I speak from experience but it is only my opinion. Only you can decide what the future holds.

Verna

January 25, 2007, 11:02 am CST

The father is more to blame than the mother

Any of you women - you know how your worshipped your fathers. I actually thought God must consult with mine, I had him so high on pedestal.

Alex has a father who abandoned her and now lets her know he doesn't have energy and time for her as he has a new family.

How horrible this must have made her feel! Her promniscuity is to get male attention to make up for what her father did to her. If she can't have the real thing, she uses this as a substitute for male love.

"Your grandmother made me do it" is not going to cut it. You fight for your children. Fathers and mothers are supposed to protect their children. Both parents failed.

Since he is Enza's brother, her actions alone show the world they are part of a dysfunctional family.

January 25, 2007, 11:08 am CST

Binge Drinks

Quote From: katerine

Actually, all we really know is that Kim has admitted to having a problem with binge drinking on the weekends.

Other than that, we don't know anything other than what we've seen on the screen.

The only reason any of us viewers thinks that Kim is promiscuous is that Enza said that Alex told her that. That's it. That's hearsay, twice removed, and from a person who's been proven to be a pathological liar with a vendetta against Kim. Not to mention, Alex has her own issues against Kim.

Personally, I think that Kim is a big part of the problem - but not for that reason. Dr. Phil stated (and I fully agree - I actually said much the same thing after the first show aired) that the reason Alex sleeps with strange men is because she's turning to them for comfort, because she's living in an environment that's filled with screaming, swearing, incriminations, manipulations, accusations - the one thing that's not present in Kim's household is love. So Alex is looking for it elsewhere. THAT is the problem.

And the reason Enza is brought up so much is that, even though Kim admittedly hasn't done a good job of making her affection felt, Enza has made it 1,000,000 times worse by going out of her way to brainwash Alex into thinking that she isn't worth anything and Kim doesn't love her at all.

I have not seen all three  full shows, but the bottom line is to get the teenager help! As well as the mother needs a 12 step program. Binge drinker on weekend is having issues with alcohol. So why this is not discussed is beyond me! Dr. Phil is very familiar, as well as done programs on addiction. No only should Alex have major therapy, her mom needs to work a 12 step program. If Alexa leaces her home for awhile to work stuf f out and then goes back to living in a dysfunctional household that makes no sense. Both need to get the help they need.In terms of Enza, she and Kim have had issues most likely for ahwile and Enza finally blew her fuse and had it with Kim's up and down behavior. Yes, Enza should have dealt with Kim off air, but we can not change that. '

The thing that can be changed is that this Alex can make a great life for herself and her mom can get her act together as well.

Hopefully Enza and Kim can one day sit down like two adults and work together instead pulling each other down.

Alex is no dummy , she has not been brain washed by Enza. She said herself she has seen her mom in situtaions with men and has lived in a toxic enviroment for awhile. I am not saying that Enza did not get Alex more pissed at her mother, but this teenager is no dummy and has seen her mom's actions.

This should not be about he said she said BS though. It should be about moving forward and developing healthier ways of living and coping.

By the way, why does she not have any contact with her dad?

I pray they can get the help tehy need and live in happiness and sucess!

January 25, 2007, 11:38 am CST

THANK YOU DR. PHIL

I want to take this opportunity to thank Dr. Phil....  We all make errors in raising our children, but knowing this family and Alex, I truly believe Dr. Phil will get them back on track.  Kim you did the best you could do, and it will only get better from here, thanks to Dr. Phil....

January 25, 2007, 4:59 pm CST

Enza is a PHONY!!!

Why in the  world is Enza allowed to put her face in front of the camera, does she think this could be her one big shot????? She is so phony and I don't think Kim is being completely honest either. How could Enza and Kim become such good buds after seemingly wanting to cut each other's throats? Enza should be out of the picture and after Kim starts being honest with Dr. Phil, let her get her life squared away and get the best help possible for Alex.  I also think it's wrong for Kim and Enza to be talking about Jeanette the way they do, once again Enza is stirring the pot. Jeanette should be given a chance to be a grandmother to her grandkids, and shouldn't be thrown out with the dishwater because Enza thinks so.  Is she jealous of Kim in her own twisted way?  Why all of a sudden does she think she has so much saving power when she hasn't been there for how many years?  Enza plays to the camera, does she have multiple personalities?  KICK HER OUT and let Kim and her family, including grandma, get on with their lives.

First | Prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | Next | Last