Message Boards

Topic : 03/30 Nightmare Brides and Grooms

Number of Replies: 435
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 17, 2006, 12:52:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/21/06) Contemporary weddings have turned into five-star productions, with couples pulling out all the stops to shine on their special day. But what happens when the bride- or groom-to-be starts making diva-like demands? Mike and Jamie agreed to a small Vegas wedding, but that went out the window when Jamie switched her gown three times, rented a limo to drive her one block and upgraded her engagement ring. Mike says that Jamie also made him un-invite all of his friends and cancel his bachelor party! Are Jamie’s antics a hint of what’s to come in their marriage? Then, Nastassia complains that her husband-to-be, Richard, is cheap. She says he wants her to buy bridal flowers from the grocery store, have her mom sew her gown and even schedule the wedding before year's end so he can get a tax write-off! Will Richard’s tightwad ways force Nastassia to call off the wedding?  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 21, 2006, 1:04 pm CST

Oh,man!:-)

I have never gotten a bigger case of the giggles watching Dr.Phil,can anybody say immature?This is one of the reasons I think the divorce rate is so high,you have people like this getting married when the maturity level is seemingly at the high school level.They have not even begun to build a strong committed relationship,they have no business marrying.

November 21, 2006, 1:06 pm CST

Richard

Now I'm feeling bad for Richard.   By the end of the show you could see he was feeling really hurt. 

We don't all think you're awful, Richard.  You seem like a  dream guy to me!  Handsome, dependable, faithful and honest.  You will make some girl a wonderful husband and the type of solid father for her children that every woman should be looking for.  I know that I personally would much rather have a man who is able to buy a house than one who is interested in a flashy wedding -- I would rather furnish that house than go on an expensive honeymoon. 

Keep looking Richard!   Find a woman with the same values you have. 

P. S. look for one with a sense of humor this time

November 21, 2006, 1:07 pm CST

11/21 Nightmare Brides and Grooms

Quote From: buckatray

I'm a little bit offended by this groom from hell story.  Why is it so terrible to try to have an affordable wedding?  My boquets were handpicked by ME the morning of the wedding, laid out around a trampoline, and my ladies made their own.  We had a potluck, everybody pitched in.  We found a place to have the reception that was free (through connections), and did our own decorations.  The most expensive thing in my wedding was my dress, which was under $100 and my wedding was absolutely a dream.  This was in 2003 and my friends and family are still talking about it.  What, was my wedding cheap and shotgun?  I know that most people in Northeast Michigan, and regions all over the country are feeling the same way.  People around here can't even conceive of spending the sort of money talked about on this show.  I really that sheltered?  I know for a fact that I am not a "hillbilly" and my wedding was NOT shotgun.
No you aren't sheltered...you just don't equate love with money.....GOOD FOR YOU.  Thank you for your understanding.

November 21, 2006, 1:08 pm CST

Not really an important comment

Was it me or did the second bride look a lot like Angelina Jolie??

November 21, 2006, 1:10 pm CST

All of it is scripted?

Quote From: canadiankira

People need to realize that "reality" television is not always real. It seems to me that these couples would have problems bigger than even Dr. Phil could fix if they actually acted the way they did in real life. Let's try to remember that all television is scripted....

Are you saying Jamie telling Mike he couldn't go to that show AND her buying a $600 purse and draining the bank account is scripted? B/c those are the things I think signal that she is not being a good partner.

November 21, 2006, 1:12 pm CST

Is it really abt the wedding day?

You know from watching this show and having lived the life I have, I don't believe that it is entirely abt the wedding.  Of course that is part of it - however the greater issue is control.  Both stories seemed to me to be abt that root problem - especially the last  story of the Groom.  I think how you deal with these conflicts/events shows alot abt how your good your relationship really is.  It breaks down to communication and it is evident to me that both couples don't do that very well.  When you communicate, are heard and felt heard - it goes a long way to compromise.   Each person needs to feel validated.  Each situation one person didn't and that is where the problem lies.  I'm all for getting to know each other over a very long period of time and let these "tests" show each others true character.  Let's not make excuses for the person that we "love"- we need to take the blinders off and see what reality is.

November 21, 2006, 1:13 pm CST

ACTIONS!!

Quote From: israelmom

And how is it you know this?

By his actions, thats how....

November 21, 2006, 1:16 pm CST

Give it up Mike, $6000 for a Wedding, get in the real world that's peanuts!!!! 

November 21, 2006, 1:19 pm CST

Yes

Quote From: creolebeth

I am so tired of hearing about how women dream of their wedding from the time they are 5 years old and, therefore, they should be given whatever they want.  Instead we should demand that women move their focus from one big party to the marriage. 

While I am a woman, I did not spend my whole life dreaming about being princess for a day.  To me, the wedding is the one day when the bride and grooms families and friends mix.  In this day and age when people move all over the country, the wedding may be the only time this happens.  So it is an important day. 

But the point of the wedding is the marriage.  This means the day is about both of the parties equally (sorry brides, you have to share the day equally).  This also means the wedding event itself should have the stamp of both the bride and the groom (sorry grooms, you have to be equally involved).  It is a major test of how you will behave as a couple whether you look out for each other's wants, whether you will be a responsible manager of the family's budget and whether you have the same priorities.  It should be treated it as such.

And Dr. Phil and Robin, please stop acting like it is okay for brides to make this day all about themselves.  Admittedly, it has become acceptable, but it isnt right.  It is a shame, and we dont need to encourage it.  

YES!  You are absolutely right.  I suspect that the good doctor misses not having a girl to spoil!

November 21, 2006, 1:24 pm CST

Quote From: kj2006

Are you saying Jamie telling Mike he couldn't go to that show AND her buying a $600 purse and draining the bank account is scripted? B/c those are the things I think signal that she is not being a good partner.

I know several places I could get a "$600 purse" and spend no more than $20. Ask Jamie to see the reciept for that purse. I can almost guarantee she didn't spend $600 on it... At least it was a nice fake though.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last