Message Boards

Topic : 03/30 Nightmare Brides and Grooms

Number of Replies: 435
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 17, 2006, 12:52:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/21/06) Contemporary weddings have turned into five-star productions, with couples pulling out all the stops to shine on their special day. But what happens when the bride- or groom-to-be starts making diva-like demands? Mike and Jamie agreed to a small Vegas wedding, but that went out the window when Jamie switched her gown three times, rented a limo to drive her one block and upgraded her engagement ring. Mike says that Jamie also made him un-invite all of his friends and cancel his bachelor party! Are Jamie’s antics a hint of what’s to come in their marriage? Then, Nastassia complains that her husband-to-be, Richard, is cheap. She says he wants her to buy bridal flowers from the grocery store, have her mom sew her gown and even schedule the wedding before year's end so he can get a tax write-off! Will Richard’s tightwad ways force Nastassia to call off the wedding?  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 21, 2006, 12:36 pm CST

People Need Lives

People need to realize that "reality" television is not always real. It seems to me that these couples would have problems bigger than even Dr. Phil could fix if they actually acted the way they did in real life. Let's try to remember that all television is scripted....

November 21, 2006, 12:38 pm CST

11/21 Nightmare Brides and Grooms

Quote From: wiraptfamo

Mike should show Jamie the door and tell her to be careful to not let it her on the way out.  Really!  Life is too short to marry someone who isn't really your best friend. 
Who says they aren't best friends? They may have their problems but every relationship does - friendship or romantic.

November 21, 2006, 12:43 pm CST

Angelina Jolee's Twin

Nastassia looks like Angelina's twin, doesn't she?  Nastassia leave the jerk.....You deserve better....

November 21, 2006, 12:43 pm CST

Grocery store flowers

I'm a little bit offended by this groom from hell story.  Why is it so terrible to try to have an affordable wedding?  My boquets were handpicked by ME the morning of the wedding, laid out around a trampoline, and my ladies made their own.  We had a potluck, everybody pitched in.  We found a place to have the reception that was free (through connections), and did our own decorations.  The most expensive thing in my wedding was my dress, which was under $100 and my wedding was absolutely a dream.  This was in 2003 and my friends and family are still talking about it.  What, was my wedding cheap and shotgun?  I know that most people in Northeast Michigan, and regions all over the country are feeling the same way.  People around here can't even conceive of spending the sort of money talked about on this show.  I really that sheltered?  I know for a fact that I am not a "hillbilly" and my wedding was NOT shotgun.

November 21, 2006, 12:46 pm CST

Quote From: psalm18v2

The thing that struck me about both couples was the imbalance of power and the lack of teamwork so evident in their interactions.  Marriage is about forming a partnership, and that requires communication and compromise on the part of BOTH people involved.  If either partner isn't mature enough to get over their need to always have their own way, they have no business getting married.  If someone controls or openly defies their spouse-to-be over wedding plans, what are they going to be like once a baby is on the way?!  Heaven help the child who will get caught in the middle of that mess.

Perfectly said! None of these people should be married.  Jamie is whiney and self-centered and I pity her husband but  they are already married so I hope Jamie grows-up and they work it out. 

The second couple  has a greater chance for happiness because they can still back out! Richard and his bride-to-be have entirely different attitudes to money.  He is a practical saver and she's a buy-now, pay-later girl.  Yes, he is a control freak but I think he probably is much smarter than she is while she has a pouty, poor-me  attitude.  She wants it both ways; she wants respect in a marriage of equality but at the same time she wants to act like a spoiled little girl.

They just don't seem right for each other to me.  I think Dr Phil was being very generous when he said she was beautiful on the outside and had a beautiful spirit  on the inside.  She may be wonderful but, on the show today, I could only see the "outside "part.

November 21, 2006, 12:49 pm CST

Don't get Married

To the young lady with a controlling groom, imagine this for the rest of your life, I have lived in a controlled situation for almost 30 years, this situation will continue after the wedding, I would hate for you to have to fight for yourself every day.

I understand not getting in to debt but this runs beyond.  Why does he have to be in control? there are probably underlying issues Dr Phil can help.

At least put this wedding off until they have major conselling.

She is too nice to easy going.

I think he is a real problem he sounds so like my husband, he is twisting things.

Please help her Dr Phil.

Thanks

Gail

November 21, 2006, 12:51 pm CST

Angelina's twin....

Quote From: lucky24

Did anyone else think Nastassia could be Angelina Jolie's sister? The resemblence was amazing to me!   She sure needs to take a lesson from Angelina on how to stand up for herself  :)   Girl, go rent "Tomb Raider" and learn to kick some butt!

Clearly Richard has some growing up to do.  He may be older and understand more of the mechanics of balancing a budget, but he is a baby when it comes to understanding what it takes to be successfully married.  The smug smirk on his face at the end of the show doesn't bode well for this relationship (or any he would be involved in) I'm afraid.

Wow....Natassia looked so much like Angelina..I totally agree....

November 21, 2006, 12:59 pm CST

Natassia Just Take A Breath And Step Back

Richard might not be such a bad guy. But you see how he deals with planning a wedding and how he talks to you. Are you really ready to deal with this the rest of your life? You want to start off you life together on a good note. He needs to really learn the word compromise. If he loves you like he says he would try his best to keep you happy within reason. He should always respect you; he should not say or hint in any way that he may be "smarter" than you. Just think about this man and why you are really with him. Understand that he does have a controlling side and can you really deal with this. Life is too short to be unhappy. And Richard if you do read this.Cherish this woman you have found. Treat her kindly and talk to her with love. I really hope you two can work out your issues. You guys are cute together.

November 21, 2006, 1:00 pm CST

Quote From: mstrsangel

Nastassia looks like Angelina's twin, doesn't she?  Nastassia leave the jerk.....You deserve better....

And how is it you know this?

November 21, 2006, 1:04 pm CST

NASTASIA NEED TO RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NASTASIA NEEDS TO RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That guy exhibits controlling/abusive behavior traits and if she stays I think she is in for it.
She is being taken advantage of and can't see what is coming.  
I hope that beautiful girl watches the show over and over and over again.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last