Message Boards

Topic : Love Being Single

Number of Replies: 393
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:07:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you single and loving it? Share your story with other happy singles!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 23, 2007, 9:32 pm CDT

Love Being Single

Ever since I was 13, I have always had a man around and never really been single. I thought I had to have someone! About a year ago, I decided that being single was probably for the best. This has been the best year of my life!! I graduated from college, moved into my own apartment and now I'm looking for my first teaching job. I have wonderful friends and family and I don't feel as though I need a man. I'm happy!! I just wish everyone else could see that! People always try to set me up or give guys my phone number! It drives me crazy! So ladies...enjoy being single and I understand how all of you feel!

April 7, 2007, 2:01 pm CDT

Love Being Single

Quote From: natlu70

Im 36, female and single. Im always happier and feel more focussed and fulfilled when Im single. But recently I went through a bit of a thing. Ive heard Dr Phil refer to people as being a soft place to fall generally using that description for parents to their children. Ive been going through a period of stress and indecision in my life and found myself wishing that I had someone who could be my soft place to fall. Then I had something of an epiphany. I realised that if I had a soft place to fall, then I would fall; that the thing keeping me strong was the necessity to be strong. So now, instead of looking for someone else to be my soft place to fall, I am concentrating on being my own strong place to stand. And that is much more satisfying.

Well close friends can be a place to fall aswell, you don't have to have a romantic relationship or a bloodbond with each other before you can "fall" there.

And though I admire that you try to become stronger and I think that it can always come in handy to have a safety net near, sometimes a blow is harder then you can cope with and then it is nice if you can fall back on friends.

I don't want to attack your approach but I just wanted to know if you thought of this aswell

oet Gäöl

April 22, 2007, 9:45 am CDT

Use to post on "hated being single" but now...

I'm finding out that being single, isn't such a bad thing..I mean, I did the 'marriage' thing, and a 9 yr. total relationship thing..I'm actually feeling BETTER about myself, being single...I can come and go as I please, I can do what I want, when I want...I can decide to be a BUM all day, IF I want...I can travel alone, meeting ppl...IF I want...It's actually fun...I think about this, WHY be with someone, just to be with someone...?  I mean, sure you may THINK you're in love, but I'm getting to wonder what is 'love' anyway?  Sometimes, it's just so consuming, and working out all those little things...sometimes, is constant...and I"m the type of person, when I"m in "love" I'M IN LOVE...I think of that person ONLY...I mean how I can show LOVE for HIM...and DO things for HIM...and then, when you think about all that 'giving' what actually are they giving US?  My self-esteem I don't think was very high in both relationship..and yet, being single it's 'higher'...what does that say?  I've never really been on my own very long, so it really feels exciting to think about ALL the possibilities...ALL the working on ME now...I've raised two kids, and now it's MY TURN???  WOW...it's actually MY TURN...feels great!!  So, I would say to this 'single' life, don't be afraid of BEING YOUR OWN best friend...and be greedy...selfish, if you want...because, I can honestly say I've given of myself for over 30 yrs. now..I don't regret EVER my decisions, because it's what made me who I am today...       Dee

April 23, 2007, 8:01 am CDT

Good for you!

Quote From: dee0123

I'm finding out that being single, isn't such a bad thing..I mean, I did the 'marriage' thing, and a 9 yr. total relationship thing..I'm actually feeling BETTER about myself, being single...I can come and go as I please, I can do what I want, when I want...I can decide to be a BUM all day, IF I want...I can travel alone, meeting ppl...IF I want...It's actually fun...I think about this, WHY be with someone, just to be with someone...?  I mean, sure you may THINK you're in love, but I'm getting to wonder what is 'love' anyway?  Sometimes, it's just so consuming, and working out all those little things...sometimes, is constant...and I"m the type of person, when I"m in "love" I'M IN LOVE...I think of that person ONLY...I mean how I can show LOVE for HIM...and DO things for HIM...and then, when you think about all that 'giving' what actually are they giving US?  My self-esteem I don't think was very high in both relationship..and yet, being single it's 'higher'...what does that say?  I've never really been on my own very long, so it really feels exciting to think about ALL the possibilities...ALL the working on ME now...I've raised two kids, and now it's MY TURN???  WOW...it's actually MY TURN...feels great!!  So, I would say to this 'single' life, don't be afraid of BEING YOUR OWN best friend...and be greedy...selfish, if you want...because, I can honestly say I've given of myself for over 30 yrs. now..I don't regret EVER my decisions, because it's what made me who I am today...       Dee
 It sounds like you are enjoying just taking care of yourself right now, and that is a wonderful thing! Look at being single as a gift that you are giving yourself and that you deserve it!
Be strong ( like you are.)
T.

May 6, 2007, 8:24 pm CDT

Undecided

I like being single because I have more time to just focus on me and my kids and the business of managing a family.  However, lately I have been lonely and just wanting to connect with someone.  I was seeing someone that I had high hopes for, but I decided that I did not like his parenting style among other things.  Needless to say, I cut it off.  I don't regret this decision at all however I am torn.  Obviously, I don't need to have someone around to feel good about myself, but I am making a great deal of progress in my life and I would like to have a buddy to celebrate with!

May 15, 2007, 11:12 pm CDT

It's the celibacy I hate....

On being single .....I miss the regular sex.  :)   

(I used to be married)

May 15, 2007, 11:36 pm CDT

They are both great

Marriage/relationship can be the most wonderful feeling/thing in the world.  It's incredible.

Being single, can be the most liberating, fantastic feeling/thing in the world.  It's indescribable.

The determining factor lies in the person.  Do they know what they want and how to get it?  If so, beautiful.  If not, misery.

It sounds so easy, doesn't it.  So easy, it's complex.

Some of the most screwed up unhappy people I've met have been married AND single.  And some of the happiest, most well adjusted people I've met have been married AND single as well.  It's interesting, however, that I notice 80% of those happy, well-adjusted people I refer to, were happily married to other happy, well adjusted people.  I just rarely meet truly happy single adults.  Because most people are just, well....paired up.  It's what "we do" (as humans).  Human beings are not solitary creatures, per se.  We like to pair up.  That's all. 

It's cool, too, to be single, as most of us here obviously believe.     Whatever "floats our boat."   :)

There's nothing worse than being in a bad marriage to the wrong person.  I speak from past experience.  After escaping that hell, singlehood was a vacation resort in paradise.

May 16, 2007, 4:50 pm CDT

I agree totally

Quote From: suekaybee

Marriage/relationship can be the most wonderful feeling/thing in the world.  It's incredible.

Being single, can be the most liberating, fantastic feeling/thing in the world.  It's indescribable.

The determining factor lies in the person.  Do they know what they want and how to get it?  If so, beautiful.  If not, misery.

It sounds so easy, doesn't it.  So easy, it's complex.

Some of the most screwed up unhappy people I've met have been married AND single.  And some of the happiest, most well adjusted people I've met have been married AND single as well.  It's interesting, however, that I notice 80% of those happy, well-adjusted people I refer to, were happily married to other happy, well adjusted people.  I just rarely meet truly happy single adults.  Because most people are just, well....paired up.  It's what "we do" (as humans).  Human beings are not solitary creatures, per se.  We like to pair up.  That's all. 

It's cool, too, to be single, as most of us here obviously believe.     Whatever "floats our boat."   :)

There's nothing worse than being in a bad marriage to the wrong person.  I speak from past experience.  After escaping that hell, singlehood was a vacation resort in paradise.
After the bad marriage at such a young age I really needed the time to come into my own and figure out who I am.  The last time I really dated was when I was 16, and now I am 27!

May 29, 2007, 6:59 pm CDT

Single and content

Most of the messages I've read are from people who have had the marriage experience, and being single again is a new adventure. Well, I'm 41 and have been single all my life. Trust me when I tell you, it gets old after a while. I can't say that I love being single, but I have learned to be content in my singleness. I would absolutely rather be single than be married to the wrong person. But my desire to be married to the RIGHT man is very strong. I still hold out hope that I will meet my husband soon. And when I do get married, I hope to NEVER see these single days again.

May 31, 2007, 1:26 am CDT

Love Being Single

Quote From: sunshine80

After the bad marriage at such a young age I really needed the time to come into my own and figure out who I am.  The last time I really dated was when I was 16, and now I am 27!

Question then: Have you figured out who you are?

I'm the same age you are, and I have never really dated seriously, and it's completely fine to be OK with that.

First | Prev | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Next | Last