Message Boards

Topic : Love Being Single

Number of Replies: 393
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:07:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you single and loving it? Share your story with other happy singles!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 29, 2007, 8:05 pm CST

comfortable life

hey all!

i've been single for about 6 years now. i had a boyfriend when i was 15 years old and after 7 months i broke up with him because he was a real jerk, and ever since then i haven't had any luck with guys asking me out. however, although people have been constantly asking me 'why havent you found a boyfriend yet? will you ever get married?', i've been enjoying the single life. i have a few friends who are my age (im 22 years old) and are either in a serious relationship or married and i think it's great they're in love with their partner, but because im used to being single it doesnt really bother me all too much. i think if a guy asked me out right now i would freak out and not know what to do or say, but if i became involved in a serious relationship in my late teens then i wouldnt have been able to do what i did. last year i went overseas with my brother and sister to europe, and then i went to the USA by myself for a week - to new york and LA and seriously it was the best decision i ever made. i felt so independent and especially once i got to the top of the Empire State Building I felt like i could do anything. i also travelled to Melbourne by myself about 3 times and i must say that travelling alone is the most amazing thing i've ever experienced. most of my friends have partners and sometimes it's very awkward when im the only single one, and usually around valentine's day they make a big fuss over it and i feel lonely during that time, but life goes on and i seem to take up a new challenge all the time. last night i started a west coast swing dance class and i had so much fun! i would like to go back to the states next year or if not definately the year after. im also working towards becoming a flight attendant, and in the long run buy my own apartment in melbourne and move out of home. some people say that the worst thing is to grow old alone but i have my  family, friends, and the courage to do whatever i set my mind to, and that's all i need to get by..

cheerio!

dani xx

January 29, 2007, 8:57 pm CST

Love Being Single

Quote From: daniella_k

hey all!

i've been single for about 6 years now. i had a boyfriend when i was 15 years old and after 7 months i broke up with him because he was a real jerk, and ever since then i haven't had any luck with guys asking me out. however, although people have been constantly asking me 'why havent you found a boyfriend yet? will you ever get married?', i've been enjoying the single life. i have a few friends who are my age (im 22 years old) and are either in a serious relationship or married and i think it's great they're in love with their partner, but because im used to being single it doesnt really bother me all too much. i think if a guy asked me out right now i would freak out and not know what to do or say, but if i became involved in a serious relationship in my late teens then i wouldnt have been able to do what i did. last year i went overseas with my brother and sister to europe, and then i went to the USA by myself for a week - to new york and LA and seriously it was the best decision i ever made. i felt so independent and especially once i got to the top of the Empire State Building I felt like i could do anything. i also travelled to Melbourne by myself about 3 times and i must say that travelling alone is the most amazing thing i've ever experienced. most of my friends have partners and sometimes it's very awkward when im the only single one, and usually around valentine's day they make a big fuss over it and i feel lonely during that time, but life goes on and i seem to take up a new challenge all the time. last night i started a west coast swing dance class and i had so much fun! i would like to go back to the states next year or if not definately the year after. im also working towards becoming a flight attendant, and in the long run buy my own apartment in melbourne and move out of home. some people say that the worst thing is to grow old alone but i have my  family, friends, and the courage to do whatever i set my mind to, and that's all i need to get by..

cheerio!

dani xx

You are so young, and yet so wise!!!!!!! You go girl!!!! You have the world by its tail, and you can do whatever you want. When you feel you want a relationship, then that's when you need to be in one, not when everyone else is insinuating that you should be. Sure wish I was that smart when I was your age. Find yourself first, then you are more apt to find the RIGHT person for you sometime in the future. Your mamma should be proud! :)

January 30, 2007, 8:59 am CST

Good for you!

hey all!

cheerio!

dani xx

Thats really great that you have been so independent. It is a really great and important quality to have. But if you want to ever start dating someone or if your thinking about it in the near future then it's important to put yourself out there...meaning.. Being open to the possibilities of dating but not neccessarily looking, but knowing that your content with yourself and your life with or without a man. Being independent is great but you can still live independently and be open to the many possibilites of love(if thats what you ultimately want).

January 30, 2007, 1:36 pm CST

thankyou!! :)

Quote From: skwirl

You are so young, and yet so wise!!!!!!! You go girl!!!! You have the world by its tail, and you can do whatever you want. When you feel you want a relationship, then that's when you need to be in one, not when everyone else is insinuating that you should be. Sure wish I was that smart when I was your age. Find yourself first, then you are more apt to find the RIGHT person for you sometime in the future. Your mamma should be proud! :)

thankyou so much for your comment!! i don't know if my mum is really proud of me because she wants me, my brother, and sisters to get married and have kids, but i think that you're absolutely right - i need to find myself first and then find the right person for me. i am really happy with the fact that i can just pack my bags and travel wherever i want. it's funny because a lot of my friends are around my age and say 'i am so old' and im thinking 'damn, im still really young, and im going to live it up!!'

are you in a relationship at the moment? i've always wondered what it would be like, to be in a relationship with someone. i know there are the ups and downs but i reckon it would be a great feeling.

it's really nice to meet you!!

cheers,

dani :)

January 30, 2007, 2:54 pm CST

thankyou!!

Quote From: thereelme

Thats really great that you have been so independent. It is a really great and important quality to have. But if you want to ever start dating someone or if your thinking about it in the near future then it's important to put yourself out there...meaning.. Being open to the possibilities of dating but not neccessarily looking, but knowing that your content with yourself and your life with or without a man. Being independent is great but you can still live independently and be open to the many possibilites of love(if thats what you ultimately want).
thankyou so much for your advice. i guess when i've been single for so long, i don't really know how to put myself out there or find someone to be with, but others have told me that i have to love myself before i love someone else. but i love to travel and have some time for myself (since i live in a large household), and in the future i would love to spend my life with someone. one problem of mine, that i have done in the past, is to go over the top - so practically spend a fortune on clothing, makeup, and hairstyles just to impress a guy and get him to notice me, but i quickly learnt that it doesnt work that way! i guess i'll learn someday, but i guess for now im going to sort out my career path and everything else before settling down :)

January 30, 2007, 7:41 pm CST

Love Being Single

Quote From: bravehart

I give up!  I've run the dating gamut and I quit.  I've dated friends of friends and men I've met in chat rooms and on line dating services.  I've dated co-workers and strangers I've met in the check out line.  I've even gone as far as considering plunking down $3000 for a professional matchmaker.  But no more. 

I have been cheated on, lid to and robbed--emotionally, financially, and physically.  I've been dumped in kind and gentlemanly like manners and left sitting by the phone wondering what went wrong.  I was left at the altar and left for the altar. (He decided to become a priest.)  I was even "Grace" to my own "Will" before it became popular. 

And what for?  To still end up alone on the couch eating chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and watching "Law and Order" marathons on TNT. 

I have donated 20 years to the dating game and I think I'm finished.  So if my Prince Charming is out there, he's going to have to throw himself on the hood of my car.  I'm through looking for him. 

Jeez, you must be my missing twin sister who was separated from me at birth!!! Just like you, I've wasted 20 years of my life, hundreds of dollars, and more hours than i could count, working on winning the heart of my dream woman. Now I look around and see all the problems other guys are having with their gfs, wives, and live-ins... sheesh, it's almost like the whole idea of love is some big cruel joke, you know? It's like, no thank you... I'd rather be alone and unhappy, than in a relationship and even worse off.

February 2, 2007, 6:32 am CST

treing to hard maybe

Quote From: titaniumguy

Jeez, you must be my missing twin sister who was separated from me at birth!!! Just like you, I've wasted 20 years of my life, hundreds of dollars, and more hours than i could count, working on winning the heart of my dream woman. Now I look around and see all the problems other guys are having with their gfs, wives, and live-ins... sheesh, it's almost like the whole idea of love is some big cruel joke, you know? It's like, no thank you... I'd rather be alone and unhappy, than in a relationship and even worse off.
hello. I have read both of these ,and I think maybe your both tring to hard to have a relationship. I mean that others out there may see you as desperit maybe or putting to much effort into things so soon. Between my two fives I waiting 5 years, and after my second I had still not gotten it right. Now Ihave mey a women that has shown m e a whole new way of things. She has shown me that to love or make love can be without making love. And several things I seemed to not be aware of. If she will have me I would like to marry her soon. YEs we have our problems, but that can, and have been worked out as we grow closer in love, and life.

February 12, 2007, 11:51 am CST

Just wait they will come around

hey all!

cheerio!

dani xx

Like you I had the same problem, people telling me I should get married, over and over.....
that was 10 year ago, all those people are now divorced, gettong a divorced, or unhappuly married, and they all tell me DON'T GET MARRIED YOUA RE FINE THE WAY YOU ARE !!
hahahahaha it's soo funny in a sick kind of way, I used to tell them I was fine the way I was
nobody believed me I had boyfriends, and I also had a long relationship with a guy , I have been alone for years now, and I am just not interested in having a relationship, I am 41 close to 42,
other things interest me,  I am not afraid of being alone, yes sometimes I wish I had somebody special,  but unless I do find someone really special I will have a boyfriend again.
I too am tired of men who are jerks, childish, unmature and gigolos wannabe I am great company, I have a good selfsteem, i am smart and successfull, and I have a great son! life is what you make of it, I just smile and thank people who have great wishes for me, and to people who insist and bug me to get married I ask them how happy they are in their marriage, then they shut up hahahahaha yes I am mean, I know, but that's the only way they will accept I am happy and that I am not willing to pay the high price of having somebody in my life just so I have somebody to in Valentine's day, everything has a price, being single is a great experience enjoy it while it last ! Be happy everyone !

February 23, 2007, 6:02 am CST

Single at 50

Hello, darlings!

I am single after being married for twenty years.

Although we had some good times, he became increasingly dictatorial

to the point where I said, EVEN MY FATHER WAS NOT THIS STRICT!

Anyway, he checked out with a relationship with someone I thought was

a friend, caught him, he denied it (but of course!) and i tried to make it work a couple

more years.  He got more and more disfunctional and wierd.  I left. The end of the fairy tale.  Anyway, been divorced for five years.  It is scary being single, knowing that you are flying without a net.  But i've made it, and would have done better if I hadn't had three teens who relied on me financially - but that's a whole different story (LOVE THEM, THOUGH!).

Anyway, back to the single premise.  It's ok being single.  To all of you who feel uncomfortable

being alone when you go out, let me offer you this.  I've gone to restaurants, movies, even traveled to europe as a single traveler with a big arts group.  They asked, don't you want to room with someone - OF COURSE NOT!  I've "roomed" with someone for 20 years or more, and I'm quite comfortable taking care of myself and enjoy my privacy.  I have recently joined eharmony and am talking to WHAT APPEARS to be a decent and down to earth fellow.  but who knows.  I'm leery about getting involved in ANYTHING.  But, life's short, play hard, take a chance.  But this time, my eyes are WIDE OPEN. 

Blessings. 

March 10, 2007, 1:08 am CST

Independence is Golden

I’m 36, female and single. I’m always happier and feel more focussed and fulfilled when I’m single. But recently I went through a bit of a thing. I’ve heard Dr Phil refer to people as being a ‘soft place to fall’ – generally using that description for parents to their children. I’ve been going through a period of stress and indecision in my life and found myself wishing that I had someone who could be my soft place to fall. Then I had something of an epiphany. I realised that if I had a soft place to fall, then I would fall; that the thing keeping me strong was the necessity to be strong. So now, instead of looking for someone else to be my soft place to fall, I am concentrating on being my own strong place to stand. And that is much more satisfying.

First | Prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Next | Last