Message Boards

Topic : Love Being Single

Number of Replies: 393
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:07:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Are you single and loving it? Share your story with other happy singles!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 6, 2006, 3:23 am CDT

How about this?

I  would rather alone that be with some one who treats me like crap- 

Like Dr Phil has often said to people-  I would rather be a happy single than a sick couple- 

Boy am I learning! 

July 6, 2006, 3:29 am CDT

Let me add.......

Quote From: turkalurk

This is ridiculous!  Are you even from Finland?  I find it hard to believe that a "virgin" would say its best to use men for sex and breeding.  How would you know "that's what they are really good for"? 
To the girl that think men should be used for sex and breeding-  I have had my struggles with guys-BUT - I never thought that they should be used for sex and breeding!   I gotta tell you ma'am-two wrongs do not make a right-  You sound like you may have been hurt-BUT- I gotta tell ya- trying to get back at a guy or some one who hurt you-I tried this myself-will only backfire on ya-  You are only gonna hurt yourself-  And it is a waste of time!    

July 6, 2006, 3:33 am CDT

Good for you!!

Quote From: skwirl

AMEN!!! I was lonlier when I was married than I am now. I am nowhere near finacially stable, but I'm paying my bills and taking care of business, and I'm so proud of myself! I am blessed with some of the best friends in the world, and I thank God for what I do have and try not to worry about what I don't. I'm po, but I'm happy! I have always been either married or comitted to someone, never by myself, and now I realize that this is exactly what I've needed. I love it!
You SHOULD be proud of yourself for being able to take care of yourself!  You think you are 'po'-but seem to be rich of the heart-  Hope that made sense!   Don't worry about what you DON"T have-like you said- appreciate what you DO have!    You are rich at heart!

July 6, 2006, 10:49 am CDT

I think being single is fine too...

Quote From: buddhagurl

To the girl that think men should be used for sex and breeding-  I have had my struggles with guys-BUT - I never thought that they should be used for sex and breeding!   I gotta tell you ma'am-two wrongs do not make a right-  You sound like you may have been hurt-BUT- I gotta tell ya- trying to get back at a guy or some one who hurt you-I tried this myself-will only backfire on ya-  You are only gonna hurt yourself-  And it is a waste of time!    
Especially, after you been there done that....and I don't believe that men should be used, just like women shouldn't be...people are people, there are good ones and bad ones out there...I would say if someone's been hurt, then turns around and just want to hurt back the opposite sex, well their just hurting themselves...that's why it's always best after something/or relationship gone bad, to take the time for youself to heal.  Don't look for others to heal you.  People can help and be your friend, but in the END it's YOU that has to heal in the RIGHT WAY...and when you strike out, have bitterness inside towards the opposite sex, it only hurts you more...Instead, why not make yourself the best you can be...when I was going through it, I read a lot.  There's books that help you understand the process of healing.  When I was feeling bitter and wanted 'revenge', I turned to these books.  I spent days/hours at Barnes and Noble going to the same section all the time.  It taught me that those feelings were normal, and just by writing it out helps to get your anger out.  Till I didn't have to do it anymore.  Plus, a few counseling sessions...I learned I didn't have to turn into this person I was with...and that it's HIS problem...I slowly returned to ME!!  and started giggling, smiling, joking, again...I saw this show on Tyra Banks, about this woman who was hurt so bad that she also turned to having 'sex' ONLY with men...she said it made her feel beautiful and better...but, deep down I don't think she does and the hurt only hurts more...honestly, I don't know how one can think 'sex' is the answer.  I love the show Sex In the City...in the earlier shows, these women had sex all the time...different men...I guess, I found it interesting because it's so far from the person I am...although, sometimes it seems like fun, BUT I know me I get too emotionally involved/messed up...so it wouldn't work...but, I never judge anyone IF that's what they want to do in their lives...AS LONG AS they aren't hurting the other person or USING them for 'sex'...if it's a mutual thing, then I guess it's ok...I think people are coming out of bad relationships, and just needs to vent here...and sometimes, people are turning around and living their lives out of 'anger, resentments, revenge' toward the opposite sex...perhaps, if they can be helped here on these boards, would be better...and read books...then, they could let go of their angry...because, when I hear men/women bashing, I feel sad...because, here I am (a woman) and others here like me, and MEN out there, well we are GOOD PEOPLE, if only those who have even hinted that women out there/or men out there are NO GOOD, could see US...perhaps, they would feel differently...SO, let ALL US NICE ONES HERE tell these people we DO exist...

July 20, 2006, 10:11 am CDT

Single, Dating Much Younger Man

I am a divorced mother of two. i have started dating a man MUCH younger man than me. He too, has two children, with his wife being deceased. I am having fun and am very happy - he states the same - with the age difference not being an issue. Should I end the dating because of our age? I believe that there would be no future between us, but the present is all I need and want for the moment. Any advise?

July 21, 2006, 6:56 am CDT

me-time

I have been divorced for 20 years now and had a lat relation for 5 years. I had chosen not to live together because I had 2 daughters who lived with me, they were teenagers and not so easy to live with at that time . Well, it was a good choise, the man had his own problems; he was depressed and not easy to be with. To mee it seems that in my previous relations, there were more tears than happy moments, and me trying to be there for evrybody, I had the feeling that it was all about other people and never about me! Selfisch? I dont think so! beeing on my own, doiing whatever I want, I feel so good! there are so many things to do and since three weeks, I have discoverd the internet! I am not looking for a man, but you never know what life brings! And for the moment my life is complete; I have three lovely daughters and a caring family, a job and a nice place to live in. So what more does a woman want?

July 21, 2006, 7:17 am CDT

Dating for Dummies

I was married for 25 years, separated for 2, divorced for 4 months and am way ready to date again. In fact, I have an interest in a fellow, 5 years younger, who I will be going out with - what should I know or do or whatever?  Any advice on dating, as I am OUT OF THE LOOP big time?  How about sex - yes I do look forward to that too!

July 21, 2006, 8:07 am CDT

Freedom To Feel Good About Yourself and Enjoy!

Quote From: motherluv1

I was married for 25 years, separated for 2, divorced for 4 months and am way ready to date again. In fact, I have an interest in a fellow, 5 years younger, who I will be going out with - what should I know or do or whatever?  Any advice on dating, as I am OUT OF THE LOOP big time?  How about sex - yes I do look forward to that too!
I was scared to death to date someone younger than me, but once the initial jitters were lessened, we had a great time (and continue to do so). I was also worried about the “looks” I would receive from being the “old chick” with a “young dude”, but that lessened also (with his help). You'll find that what was buried inside of you for so many years will come out in full array and you will feel much younger and happier. Thus, not caring about what others think. We only have the present moment, simply enjoy all that you can. You're free now - to be you! Go for it!!!

July 22, 2006, 10:56 am CDT

Who's Keeping Track?

Quote From: kellyrh

I am a divorced mother of two. i have started dating a man MUCH younger man than me. He too, has two children, with his wife being deceased. I am having fun and am very happy - he states the same - with the age difference not being an issue. Should I end the dating because of our age? I believe that there would be no future between us, but the present is all I need and want for the moment. Any advise?

Good for you... 

My question is "Who's keeping track?"  You should never about what other people think. 

Like the saying goes..."Life is What Happens While you're Busy Making Plans (for the future)..." 

July 22, 2006, 12:45 pm CDT

Okay For Boys and Girls

Quote From: sdbmania

For the most part, I'm content on being single.  However, a few weeks ago I convinced myself I was falling in love with a girl.  When I told her how I felt, it ended up in rejection.  I was expecting that since we didn't know eachother well.  I was surprised when these feelings started and I'm starting to think that maybe I've been "loving dumb" as Dr. Phil put it.  I really had difficulty figuring out how I let this happen.  How could I fall in love with someone I didn't really know?  That's when I really started to realise that I'm in love with the idea of being "in love."   

I've read his first book, "Self Matters," and it really helped me discover my true self.  Now I've been thinking about getting his latest book, "Love Smart."  But, from reading some of the description it would seem the book is more for women.  

I was curious if any men have read it or even women and if anyone thinks that this book would help me even since I'm a man.  What do you all think?  

I have read "Love Smart" almost the whole way through.  I stopped at the part where he goes into how to stay in your relationship.  I figure I need to get to that point before moving forward in the book.  But I love the book.  It really does make sense and it makes you aware of so much about yourself and men.  

As far as a man reading it, here is a little story . . .  

I happened to tell a male friend about it and I was telling him how much I liked it and how much it helped me understand things.  So he went out and bought it, not realizing it was technically for women.  He did, however, gain useful information through it.  Some of the chapters about understanding men won't help you, but the parts about figuring out what you want and who you want to be with would help you.  The other parts about getting out in the dating scene and stuff like that will help you as well.    

First | Prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | Next | Last