Message Boards

Topic : Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Number of Replies: 188
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:58:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a baby is a major life change and postpartum depression can affect any woman who is pregnant, has had a baby, miscarried, or ended a pregnancy. Share advice and support here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 25, 2007, 9:04 pm CDT

PPD

Quote From: ponticelli

I have been in such a deep depression since my daughter was born. She is 2 now and I'm a single mother with a full time job. I get no help from the father and I'm only 23. But I never thought that it was PPD. Some time's feeling this down is just unbearable.  Some people have the chance to get help. But I don't I work full time and hardly have anyone to watch my baby for me. I know there is help but I have no time to get it. So I just have to take it and try and make the best of it. I am not sure that I have ppd but from reading allot of these messages it kinda sounds like it

Hi there, I can totally understand where you are coming from because I got PPD when my daughter was 7 weeks old.

I felt miserable all the time too and worried constantly about my baby and very little for myself.

My childs father was around at the time, but he had a full time job on a dairy farm and I seen very little of him or anyone else for that matter.

My baby girl was avery good baby and I had the easiest 1st 6 weeks, but the seclusion from the whole world whirlwinded me into not only PPD but also  psychosis where I thought my life had to be sacrificed for the world to continue, this was such a horrible experience and all of the signs went unnoticed as I had never heard of PPD until I was diagnosed with it.

I was on heavy medication and mt daughter was sent to live with her paternal grandmother.

What kind of support do you have?? I think everyone needs a leaning post .

What is your carrer?? Do you enjoy it or is this solely to make ends meet?I ask this question because alot of things in our lives can trigger many different depressions, and PPD is only one of many, to me PPD would be the worst but thats only because ive had a severe case.

You say you dont have the time to seek help.

Please make time to GET HELP for you and your daughters sake.

I sought help but it was not early enough, I ended up in a lock down ward for a week, I was only 17 @ the time and I got put there by my (ex) partner and his family, it took 6 of his family members to get me in to the vehicle then they tricked me into going into the hospital and then I was grabbed by two big men in white coats and then put on a hospital bed and held down by 4 others and then taken to a sound proof safety lock down room and had about 10 people holding me down whilst two doctors came in with a rather large needle each they tranquilized me and I was asleep within minutes.

I have never been so scared in my life.

I DONT MEAN TO SCARE YOU, but to only make you aware of the seriousness of this illness.

I told my current  partner(of 4 years) all about this and he freaked out but now understands the possibilty of it happening again(as I am now 4 months pregnant), but we are determined we will have all aspects of my mental health assesed and monitored so I do not have this horrible episode again.

Hope some of this helped and please dont hesitat to respond again.

As we say here in New Zealand- 'KIA KAHA' (means 'Be strong' in my second language MAORI)

kindest regards

NZ MAORI

March 30, 2007, 10:26 pm CDT

What to do?

My baby is only 5 months now but I have had postpartum depression since she was about a week old. Freaking out if my house isn't perfect spotless, crying over little things... Well you know how it goes... The thing is, when I got married I lost my medical insurance and now I have no coverage and I don't have any of the extra money it takes to go see a doctor. What should I do? I'm concerned because it's gotten to the point where I thought of suicide... I just want to be the best mommy and don't know how to go about it from here... Thanks for any advice.

March 30, 2007, 11:19 pm CDT

Public Facilities

Quote From: babyjrich

My baby is only 5 months now but I have had postpartum depression since she was about a week old. Freaking out if my house isn't perfect spotless, crying over little things... Well you know how it goes... The thing is, when I got married I lost my medical insurance and now I have no coverage and I don't have any of the extra money it takes to go see a doctor. What should I do? I'm concerned because it's gotten to the point where I thought of suicide... I just want to be the best mommy and don't know how to go about it from here... Thanks for any advice.

Do you have a Public Mental Health Facility in you area? These facilities usually work with the Public Health Clinics.  The P.M.H. Facility gives free treatment to people without ins. and can also give you free meds if they are needed.

What city and State do you live in? I can help you research the areas and see if we can find you a place to get help. 

And whenever you feel those suicidal tendencies starting to rise, just log in here and type to me. We can talk things out and work you through the worst of it.  I don't want you to feel like your all alone in this...I am logged into this room everyday. 

Just hold your head up the best you can, and we will try to find someone that can help you get back on track.

Mickie

March 31, 2007, 12:28 am CDT

Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Quote From: ohdang13

Do you have a Public Mental Health Facility in you area? These facilities usually work with the Public Health Clinics.  The P.M.H. Facility gives free treatment to people without ins. and can also give you free meds if they are needed.

What city and State do you live in? I can help you research the areas and see if we can find you a place to get help. 

And whenever you feel those suicidal tendencies starting to rise, just log in here and type to me. We can talk things out and work you through the worst of it.  I don't want you to feel like your all alone in this...I am logged into this room everyday. 

Just hold your head up the best you can, and we will try to find someone that can help you get back on track.

Mickie

Thanks a lot for the support. It means a lot just knowing that theres someone there that I can talk to. I live in Waynesville, Missouri-It's a pretty small town, I don't know if we have any Public Health Clinics, but I would definately go if I knew of one!!

April 1, 2007, 11:00 pm CDT

I might have something for you.

Quote From: babyjrich

Thanks a lot for the support. It means a lot just knowing that theres someone there that I can talk to. I live in Waynesville, Missouri-It's a pretty small town, I don't know if we have any Public Health Clinics, but I would definately go if I knew of one!!

I have found 2 mental health clinic for you. Both of these work on a sliding pay scale. They will decide payment based on your income.

The first is:   Pathways Community Behavorial Healthcare Inc.

704 Historic Route 66 West. Suite 106

Waynesville, MO. 65583

(573)774-3121

The second is:   SE Missouri Community Treatment Center

1030 Kingshighway. Suite C

Rolla, MO. 65401

(573)364-8511              this facility is 32 miles from your home town.

I would have called these places and gotten you some info for both but I am living in Germany for the next few months and when it is day time for me it evening in the states.  But both of these places have websites that you can look at. 

If these places do not work for you then please let me know and I will do another search and find you some more places.  Please call both facilities today and see if they can offer you any help. And if you don't mind, keep me informed of what is happening. I am worried about you and want desperatly to see you get good help.  

I will make you a promise...I will do everything in my power to see you get the help you need. Just hang in there.

April 25, 2007, 9:36 pm CDT

Dealing with Postpartum Depression

I dont know if I have PPD.  My daughter is 8 months old now.  I dont really feel like doing anything...i want to sleep a lot...but at night i have trouble sleeping.  I dont have much of an appetite..i get very upset sometimes....and yell at my daughter..even though i know she did nothing wrong.  my husband is not really helping the situation...a couple times he asked me if i was depressed i said i dont know..he use to put me down all the time after i had the baby ..like calling me fat..and stuff like that..after begging him to stop he did.  He said he was joking.  Anyways pls help

April 26, 2007, 7:19 pm CDT

Maybe you have it, maybe you don't

Quote From: southerngirl05

I dont know if I have PPD.  My daughter is 8 months old now.  I dont really feel like doing anything...i want to sleep a lot...but at night i have trouble sleeping.  I dont have much of an appetite..i get very upset sometimes....and yell at my daughter..even though i know she did nothing wrong.  my husband is not really helping the situation...a couple times he asked me if i was depressed i said i dont know..he use to put me down all the time after i had the baby ..like calling me fat..and stuff like that..after begging him to stop he did.  He said he was joking.  Anyways pls help

But the only way to find out for sure is to go to your doctor and get a diagnosis.  It's not a good situation for you to be in, if you're yelling at your daughter.  It sounds, to me, like you might have it.  I didn't have a problem with appetite loss, but I did have trouble sleeping.  Even though I was exhausted.  I also got very emotional over the smallest things.  But I knew something was not right, so I went to my doctor who referred me to a psychiatrist and got diagnosed properly.  That was back in 2001 and within 12 months I was able to go off my meds and function better than before.

Go to your doctor.  He/she will be able to diagnose you and prescribe medication if it's required.

One other thing.  Does your husband help look after your daughter?  Get him to take care of her for an afternoon and spend some time alone in the bathroom.  Relax for a while in the bath, if you have one.  Lock the door, put on some calming music and soak up the solitude. 

I hope some of this helps you.  The break, if you can get it, from your daughter will relieve some of those feelings going through you at the moment.  Take care.   Good luck.  Bye from Australia

Ruthieg

April 27, 2007, 10:44 am CDT

starting a support group for ppd

I have been trying to start  a support for ppd for about  year,I have been in contact with mental health experts who have agreed to oversee progress of the group.I suffered with ppd for 4 years until I finally took control,I learned techniques to cope with my feelings I took lexapro for a short time but ultimately dealing with your feelings no matter how off the wall they may seem is the only way to overcome ppd.believe me I know.       thanks

Denise

April 27, 2007, 10:56 am CDT

southerngirl05

Quote From: southerngirl05

I have been looking for ladies exactly like you!I cnt say for sure but most likely if you think you have ppd you have it,I have been trying for a year to get a support group started for ladies who suffer from ppd,it is a scary, sad, lonely place to be especially when you feel like you are all alone.I would love to Talk more with you,I suffered from ppd for four years,No one understands what your going through unless they have gone through it themselves.If you would like my email address please let me know!!!! Hang in there you will be fine.your not alone!!!

April 27, 2007, 11:04 am CDT

Please contact me

Quote From: ohdang13

I have found 2 mental health clinic for you. Both of these work on a sliding pay scale. They will decide payment based on your income.

The first is:   Pathways Community Behavorial Healthcare Inc.

704 Historic Route 66 West. Suite 106

Waynesville, MO. 65583

(573)774-3121

The second is:   SE Missouri Community Treatment Center

1030 Kingshighway. Suite C

Rolla, MO. 65401

(573)364-8511              this facility is 32 miles from your home town.

I would have called these places and gotten you some info for both but I am living in Germany for the next few months and when it is day time for me it evening in the states.  But both of these places have websites that you can look at. 

If these places do not work for you then please let me know and I will do another search and find you some more places.  Please call both facilities today and see if they can offer you any help. And if you don't mind, keep me informed of what is happening. I am worried about you and want desperatly to see you get good help.  

I will make you a promise...I will do everything in my power to see you get the help you need. Just hang in there.

I think I can help you. What I offer is free support for what your going through.No matter what you may think ,what you are feeling is ok,There just feelings and you absolutley cannot control feelings, I know what your going through Cause i have been there myself please let me know if you would like to talk to me!!!

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last