Message Boards

Topic : Spirited Kids

Number of Replies: 162
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 01:12:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child a bundle of nonstop energy? Are you exhausted at the end of the day? Share advice and support with other parents of spirited kids.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 8, 2006, 10:01 pm CDT

Spirited Kids

Quote From: collinsmom

This sounds like something that happened to my brother's child.  Come to find out my niece was bored at school and was so gifted she skipped two grades but was acting up because she was bored in school.  Good Luck!! 

I never really thought about that. Thanks.. Seems the only solution to the school system is "drug him up"..  Hell maybe we should drug the teachers up.. ha Just kidding..

June 8, 2006, 10:04 pm CDT

Spirited Kids

Quote From: smtasus

OK I have a serious problem with my girl (5) and my boy (3) when ever we go out in public they "feed" off each other... What I mean is that they are GREAT kids while alone but as soon as we bring them together they try to get each other in trouble and yell and scream and cutt up... I cant continue to live life separate from my husband, beacuse wour kids cant behave together.... does any one have any advice for me?
WoW, sounds like my boys. They are 14 yrs and 7yrs.. Non stop at eachother and tellin on eachother..  The oldest beats the youngest and then tries lying bout it.. Good luck.. Let me know if you find anything that works..

June 10, 2006, 9:14 pm CDT

redirection

Well I am trying Dr. Phil's redirection method, when they start actinf out and 'feeding" off each other I am trying to give them a task (if you will) like directing them to color or help with the dishes (which is kind of more of a pain than I really want right now-it just take so much longer when they help me) but their attitude is better. they seem to be calming down a bit!!!

June 11, 2006, 5:46 pm CDT

Spirited Kids

Quote From: smtasus

Well I am trying Dr. Phil's redirection method, when they start actinf out and 'feeding" off each other I am trying to give them a task (if you will) like directing them to color or help with the dishes (which is kind of more of a pain than I really want right now-it just take so much longer when they help me) but their attitude is better. they seem to be calming down a bit!!!
Hey thanks for the encouragement....and good luck  with your  2 kids.   Glad you  found a solution that seems to be helping.

June 13, 2006, 2:34 pm CDT

Four year old nightmare

My daughter is so strong willed at times it drives me crazy. She will often pout and stare you down when she doesn't get what she wants. She often screams out of control and it sounds like you are beating her when all you have done is put her in a time out. Lately when my husband and I try to discipline her she finds things very amusing. And once she has been punished she will go right back and try it again. She repeatedly commits the same offence and receives the same consequence. I just don't know what to do anymore. When will she get the message?

June 16, 2006, 8:49 pm CDT

my 8year old acts like a teenager

she has this attitude that wont go away. she doesnt listen to me at all. she doesnt pickup after herself. she lies and steals change from me. she has alot of friends for 8 years old and she is always outside playing, when i try to kep her in the house she is so miserable and doesnt want to stay in she wants to play outside.
she throws big fits outside when i try to have her come in that i have just given up on trying to spend time with her. Then when it is bedtime she gets all upset with me because i didnt do anything with her all day.
I take her to the stores and buy her toys and she doesnt take care of them at all. i buy her nice clothes and she comes home from school looking like she rolled around in the dirt (literally!!).
does anyone have any advice on what i should do for my daughter?
when shes outside with her friends she is so happy and laughing and running around she is very very hyper and even her friends are always telling her to relax.

June 26, 2006, 12:53 pm CDT

Very high spirited 3/12 year old

I have a very bright 31/2 year old little girl.  Ever since she was born, her grandmother has had a bond with her.  Mainly because her son was in an institution all of the years of her life, until now.  Grandma has always tried to overcompinsate for  his mistakes, by overly spoiling my little girl.  Auburn now has this tendency to want anything, and everything.  I love her to death, but trying to disciplne her is so hard.  She spends alot of time with her grandmother, and her grandmother gives her everything she wants.  Now she thinks that I we are the same way.  Auburn has tantrums, and when we give her time outs, they really do not seem to be working, with any type of dicipline that we give, she always goes back and does the same thing that we told her not to do and she says that she wants to go to her grandmothers house.   HELP!!!!!

June 26, 2006, 4:50 pm CDT

have faith

Quote From: d_ghorab

my son is 4 years old. he has always been sort of a problem child as he had tantrums, slept very little & usually was in a bad mood. he has delay in language development, yet he is very smart & loves coloring & drawing. he plays with other kids but of course the communication is cyt back due to his language defficiency. we had him go to a psychiatrist who tested him for autism & said he had some autistic features but nothing serious. we had a brain graph for him & it turned out that he has some extra waves on the right side of the brain. i really don't know what this means!  

i don't know if it's  something that can be treated or not... what should i expect? would he ever be normal or would he be another Rain Man?  

i hope not!  

somebody help me...  

I have a child who has Aspergers Syndrome which is a form of Autism. It is termed high functioning, he goes to regular school, does everything regular and is just a little high strung. He has a photographic memory and is quite smart but gets angry when his body doesn't go as fast as his mind. Have faith. This is a good thing in so many ways. While every mom does want the best for her child, what is the definition of normal? Look up people with autism and aspergers on google and see what you come up with, you will be suprised who has it and the impact they had on society. Your child will make his way! God Bless

June 28, 2006, 7:41 pm CDT

At whits end

I have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old well my problem is that my 4 year old is in a stage where she is testing me at every coner and the 2 year old is coping her sister.  i dont know what to do anymore with my child.  i love her very much but there are days that i wish that i could stay at work so that i dont have to be around her.  she doesnt do anything i tell or ask her to do and the moment her father walks in the door she tells him all of the things i did or didnt do.  her father knows that she is trying to put the two of us against each other but it still hurts to hear your daughter constaly tell someone that you are not feeding her, that you are being mean to her. and that she doenst love you.  i know that it is a stage but does anyone know what i can do to get her to stop fighting me every step of the way????

June 29, 2006, 6:59 am CDT

afraid to have too high hopes!

Quote From: emtgirl78

I have a child who has Aspergers Syndrome which is a form of Autism. It is termed high functioning, he goes to regular school, does everything regular and is just a little high strung. He has a photographic memory and is quite smart but gets angry when his body doesn't go as fast as his mind. Have faith. This is a good thing in so many ways. While every mom does want the best for her child, what is the definition of normal? Look up people with autism and aspergers on google and see what you come up with, you will be suprised who has it and the impact they had on society. Your child will make his way! God Bless

i can't help but think that it was something i did or didn't do... was there any way i could have prevented this to happen to him? he has language development delay as well, is it my fault?  

he draws & paints very beautiful pictues & it breaks my heart to feel he does it cos he can't express himself otherwise! although i see of course that he's very gifted in many ways, but i'm still confused..  

what are the differences between the two syndromes, & what are the causes for them?  

i'm afraid to have too high hopes causing the whole family's depression... 

thank you all for your support.......:) 

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last