Message Boards

Topic : 07/19 Mind Your Business

Number of Replies: 273
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 05, 2006, 07:03:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/11/06) They go through your wallet, they trace your phone calls, they even get in their car to follow your every move. They’re meddlesome, nosy people who love to snoop! Dr. Phil’s guests are fed up with loved ones who can't seem to stay out of their business. Carla, 31, says she's tired of her mother, Pamela, tracking her every move, day and night. Pamela says having a house right behind her daughter makes keeping an eye on her easy. She even cut down Carla's hedges so she could see better! Does this backyard buttinsky know best, or does she need to stay on her side of the fence? Then, Christie is so obsessed with snooping on her husband, Shannon, that she reads his e-mails, checks his phone messages and even smells his clothes just to make sure he's not cheating on her. Shannon says he has no privacy and is contemplating leaving his wife. What's behind Christie's constant snooping and interrogations? Plus, a mom who says as long as her children live under her roof, she has the right to eavesdrop on their phone calls, read their diaries, and even search through their clothes while they're sleeping! Is she crossing the line? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 11, 2006, 2:07 pm CDT

Social Isolation

My mom fits this description pretty well.  I am 15, and i haven't been out of my house in months on a weekend.  Since i'm in high school now, i've started to get more invitations around, but my mom has turned down so many that my friends have stopped calling me altogether.  My mom's rules include: No movies, no mall, and no even number of boys and girls.  These rules are ridiculous, and mostly come from one of my close friends, because he's made some bad decisions and now my mom is freaking out that if i go to a movie that i will make out with the girl next to me in public! And if there's an even number of boys and girls, its instantly a dating situation, no matter how many there are!

May 11, 2006, 2:11 pm CDT

What do you think

Im 23 years old. I've lived with my mother up until the age of twenty. As far back as I can remember my mother was always snooping through my things and reading my diaries. After a while I stopped keeping diaries. As I got older, it got worse. I remember being 18 years old writing a letter to my best friend then throwing it away in the kitchens garbage can.1 week later while talking to my mother in her room, I spotted  that very same letter on her television. At seventeen a boyfriend of mine wrote a letter and my mother found it and read it.Thats how she found out I was sexually active.  I asked If she read the letter.she denied it. What I dont understand is ,if she was so concerned why didnt she sit me down and talk to me about. Its almost like she was reading my letters and diaries just because she knows it makes for good reading material. I guess my question is, even though I was living under her roof do you think she went too far?   

P.S I was a good kid and did not give her  any reason to not trust me.  

May 11, 2006, 2:12 pm CDT

Would you consider this snooping?

hi -  

i am a 14 year old girl and i was listening to the show today and it sounds a lot like my life.  

with my mom and my e-mail.  

she reads my e-mail. she makes me show her every e-mail that i send to my friends b4 i send it.  

and then she checks my e-mail for me and then reads the messages.  

i dont journal or write a diary and this is my one way to vent to my friends. since im not a phone talker and my mom doesn't let me im or nothing.  

so, this is dilema. anybody have any advice?  

May 11, 2006, 2:13 pm CDT

Happiness

HAPPINESS is a loving, close knit family... 

IN ANOTHER CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

May 11, 2006, 2:17 pm CDT

my boyfriends brother is stalking us

I live in a house with my boyfriend and his brother.  His brother is literally driving me crazy.  His bedroom is next to ours, he sits in his room all hours of the day with no t.v or radio on just to listen to our conversations. there have been so many times i have opened the door and he is standing there in his underwear listening to our conversations. we live in a small town and he asks everyone we know what we are up to or trying to find the latest gossip. it got so bad that we would leave traps in our room to see if was snooping, and of course he has gone through all my things. he even told my boyfriend he has pictures of stuff i n or room for blackmail.  and always he tries to befriend one of my girlfriends just to get info. its getting to the point that i am always watching who i talk to and have even stopped talking to friends althogether. my boyfriend wont say anything to him because he says it wont help.  is my life that interesting that he has to ruin it.  he literally has it out for me and i ahve never done anything to him, we were really good friends before i started dating his brother, i would have never imagined him to be this way. 

May 11, 2006, 2:18 pm CDT

mind your business.

as a child my mother went throw everthing.after a will i tought myself how too be really great at hiding everthing from her.   my goal at the time was if there was a crack in the wall.i had a way out. 

she really  never did trust us.so after a will.you begain  too think that your damed if you do.and damed if you don't. 

May 11, 2006, 2:20 pm CDT

Need Some Concrete with Steel Re-enforced Boundaries!

Oh, My!!!   

I can certainly empathize with Carla. I was sitting there with my mouth open.    

I just gotta put up some steel re-enforced concrete boundaries with MY father! (A fence wouldn't hurt either.) I LOVE him but he's driving me NUTS.   

I lived away for almost 29yrs. Just moved back to the community just before Christmas. And somehow he doesn’t seem to “get it”. I’m an ADULT. It’s not just intrusive but VERY diminishing and minimizing of another person to constantly be coming over unannounced AND feeling that they MUST pass judgment over every choice you make.    

I think that I really KNEW that I was OVER my head in trouble, when my twin sister asked me if I was seeing anyone and I responded with, “I’m afraid our father would seriously disapprove of that!!” (Only half joking.) That was when my twin said, “ HELLO! You are more than 50 years old!!!!”   

I think that it is even MORE difficult if you're like a southern female, NEVER married and have always 'been there' in times of need.   

What a conundrum!!!!   

May 11, 2006, 2:21 pm CDT

I am obsessed about my boyfriend

Hi I am 20 years old and i am currently in a relationship that for the most part i am happy about but there is one thing standing in the way of going to the next step.  I currently found out that my boyfriend had been text messaging another girl behind my back i have now become obsessed with going through his phone and wallet just to see if there may be a phone number or whatever i would love to trust him but after this incident i cant do it simply because i don't want to get hurt i love him very much and i know that he loves me but why would he hide that from me?? how do i get over it and trust him again if i don't this will kill my relationship and i don't want that to happen please help me

May 11, 2006, 2:21 pm CDT

how sad

Quote From: nurseyrn20

I am living this with my boyfriend right now.  He has done the same things you speak of.  It is so difficult to trust him.  I don't want to be the way I am, but I can't help it (I know - poor excuse). 
I don't think I could live like that on a day to day basis. It sounds exhausting! Trust is earned, wondering how long you would have to go living like this before you can finally say you trust him? I could not live with someone I didn't trust. Wish you the best, God bless.

May 11, 2006, 2:35 pm CDT

i know i feel torn i dont know what to do

Quote From: straycat

I don't think I could live like that on a day to day basis. It sounds exhausting! Trust is earned, wondering how long you would have to go living like this before you can finally say you trust him? I could not live with someone I didn't trust. Wish you the best, God bless.
once i found out the second case of it to the same girl i simply asked why if you love  me as much as you say then why did you do it he said there was no reason and that this girl was just a friend the most upsetting thing is that this girl is only 17 years old and he is 21 when i told him we were over i have never seen a grown man cry that much like a baby so i sorta forgave him and we are working on things now but how does he get my trust back am i wrong???

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last