Message Boards

Topic : 05/09 Finding Allene and Mollie

Number of Replies: 406
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 05, 2006, 07:00:27 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Join Dr. Phil on an incredible journey in search of two missing girls, Allene, 13, and Mollie, 15, who were abducted by their father a year ago. The search is filled with suspense, traveling thousands of miles away from the U.S. through the jungles of a Third World country. Go inside a deeply religious community, known as the Hutterites, where the members live as if they were from a previous time: girls in bonnets and long dresses, transportation by horse and buggy and no electricity or running water. Will this global rescue mission lead to the recovery of two kidnapped children? Who has them and, more disturbingly, for what purpose? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 9, 2006, 1:43 pm CDT

I can understand why

I long for a much more simplistic life... one where less it more. I understand why the girls are drawn to this life. It is a place where women are cherished and men have integraty. Where the community is involved in each others lives in a beautiful way. It is the largest sense of family. Other are getting along with each other. It is healthy living, mentally, physically, spiritulally.  

Though I would not like to give up my more modern clothes, they are teaching modesty (in which most Americans do not practice). The world would be a better place if we all lived with less is more and love thy neighbor... 

May 9, 2006, 1:44 pm CDT

Amen

Quote From: benoliver

AMEN!! Very well stated!
Thank You,  I am Catholic, once removed.  This is whats wrong with some of the generation today.  Too many free movements and not enough strictness that some of us grew up with.  I'm not saying the world cannot change but I believe the girls seem happy.  They do not look abused, malnourished,  and people can still learn without a classroom setting. 

May 9, 2006, 1:45 pm CDT

05/09 Finding Allene and Mollie

Quote From: lancpa

I trust Dr. Phil's judgement on viewing this story from both sides.  My concern lies in the way the Mennonite life has been portrayed.  Welcome to Lancaster County, PA where there are countless successful businessmen with secure families that are socially correct who have been raised in the Amish & Mennonite communitiy.  These businessmen only had an 8th grade education, they are well-adjusted, their wives are involved in the community and their children would put some children to shame who have been raised in the public school high schools.  All these fine, sociable, intelligent, non-dysfunctional folk have been raised without TV, no phones, they raise their own food, (you haven't eaten until you've had a Shoo-Fly Pie or a Whoopie Pie), travel by horse & buggy and go to one room school houses that provide an education through 8th grade.  They do live quite differently and that is what makes America America.  They are free to live as they choose.  Come visit the towns of Paradise, Gap, Silver Springs and yes - we have a town called Intercourse.  Travel slowly to get around all the horse & buggies that are in our midst. 
 I love Lancaster (plan on going this weekend actually!!)  I have a Mennonite midwife that is absolutely wonderful.  The Mennonite and Amish in our area are wonderful people. They are not brainwashed, nor are they a cult.  I deeply saddens me to hear (or read) opinions from people that in no way understand the faith. It is very different from the way most live but you can't help but be drawn to their patient, loving, and understanding ways.  They are also HIGHLY intelligent people.  The children of the Amish and Mennonite are very polite, respectful and could put the children in mainstream America to shame in work ethic and intelligence. Thank you for your very well written opinion.

May 9, 2006, 1:46 pm CDT

I have issues with it

Quote From: benoliver

AMEN!! Very well stated!

The father took the children out of the United States. He violated the law. Period. He doesn't deserve custody. Sheltering children doesn't protect them. If anything it makes them more vulnerable to the negative influence you cite.  

As I've said throughout this thread, if these girls want to join this sect when they are of age and have experienced the real world, I have no problem with it. I think it's wrong to deny these girls and education and to keep them out of school. I think it's wrong to have them taken away from their mother.  

I fully support the mother here. She is in the right. These girls are too immature to make choices of this magnitude.  

May 9, 2006, 1:49 pm CDT

It was not the dad's place to become judge and jury

Quote From: uknowit2

Obviously this 'single' mother has anger issues and is obviously abusive.  The masonite community, however old fashioned, seems to be doing a wonderful job with these girls.  They are both very intelligent and much more articulate than the 'norm' society is raising today.  The daughter's obviously do not want to be living with their mother so what IS all the fuss about ???  The men in this world should have equal rights to custody instead of just being looked at as a paycheck. I also believe that if more men in this world were given custody of their children instead of mother's,  we would have a much lower teenage dropout rate (or the homeschooling copout), a lower rate of teenage pregnancy, and street crime/gang banging would decrease.  Just because someone is a 'mother' for giving birth does not automatically 'make' them a mother that is nurturing and caring of their children.  When this country realizes that we will be in a much better place.

The "fuss" is all about the fact that he kidnapped his children!!!!!!!!!  ARE YOU DENSE?  

The fact that what he did was illegal doesn't even compare to how unconscionable it is for one parent to deprive the other parent of their children.    

FOR A WHOLE YEAR THIS MOTHER DID NOT KNOW WHERE HER CHILDREN WERE!!!!  You must not yet be a parent if you can't understand how painful and scary it must have been for her to not know if her children were safe, healthy,  and being well cared for.  Not to mention how very much she must have missed them.  

The world will be a better place when parents grow up and learn to truly put their childrens best interests first instead of furthering their own agendas. 

May 9, 2006, 1:51 pm CDT

mollie and allene

I feel like the girls have been brain washed; they can still lead a simple life without living and dressing this way.   They will be uneducated adults who one day might regret wanting to live like this.  I don't think the Dad is being truthful when he talks to Dr. Phil.  These girls need counseling and lots of understanding.

May 9, 2006, 2:03 pm CDT

Brainwashed

The children have definitely been brainwashed.  

How sad to use the word of the Lord in such a terrible way.  

Those kids will NEVER be the same.  

May 9, 2006, 2:04 pm CDT

Good and Bad everywhere

There are many children who grow up in Mennonite/Amish/Brethren families, and just like those that grow up Catholic, Methodist or Jewish there are good and bad.  

The one thing that scares me and I bet many of you, is the complete disappearance of the children. We point fingers because there are non-blood family members that are taking sides by aiding in the abduction process and subsequent lifestyle. They did not report anything to anybody which might have lead to the arrest of Dad and the return of the girls to Mom.  

I have a friend who grew up in the type of community in question and left at 17. Her Father was infallible in both the household and the religious community. It lead to sexual abuse. Now, at 40 something, she is starting year 2 of therapy for baggage she did not even realize she had. But her marriage and children were suffering for it.   

Our open society where we care and support our community may have helped my friend years ago. I just hope that  the male dominance seen here is not reflective of this type of behavior.  

May 9, 2006, 2:08 pm CDT

What about his Marriage Vows?

Mike Haris talks big about being persecuted for his religious beliefs and how he felt was 'forced' to take the children from his wife all according to scripture, but did he not take a Vow of Marriage, before God first, to 'forsake all others' even before he had those children or changed his beliefs?  Believe it or not, forsaking all others includes the children.  It doesn't mean to abandon or abuse them or disrespect them in any way, but for them to come second after his relationship with his wife.  She comes first, not third and not after a change in beliefs or after the children.  I wish Dr Phil would talk more about what God expects when he counsels people on his show, I think I've heard him say he's a Christian, he could make a big difference in this country.  We need to talk more about what God expects.  And if the marriage doesn't work, fine, if someone breaks a vow, fine, then get the divorce, but don't run from the spouse.  Dr Phil should've mentioned that when Mike Hari kept bringing up his beliefs and God.  Obviously Mike was doing what he wanted, not the right thing. 

May 9, 2006, 2:10 pm CDT

05/09 Finding Allene and Mollie

Quote From: jjacobs

I have read several posts suggesting that Mollie and Allene have been brainwashed and need to be de-programmed.  One thing to consider, if that is your opinion, is that the girls have spent time with their mother.  She wanted to buy them jewlry, different clothes, etc and yet they still say that their lifestyle does not mesh with their mothers.  They could be adamant against their dad's beliefs; instead they are choosing those beliefs over what their mother offers them.  This does not sound like brainwashing to me. 

It is also important to remember that you cannot judge an entire church or denomination based on the actions of one individual! 

It seems very apparent that this is a battle between the mother and the father and the children are just caught in the middle. 

Parents need to be DE-PROGRAMMED from the idea that one of them is better than the other and running to the family courts as the referees to prove who is right or best parent.  The family courts are FULL of RIGHT FIGHTER PARENTS who in their IGNORANCE willingly hand over thousands of dollars to the divorce/custody industry and destroy their children.  Only reform of family law can prevent this abuse of children.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last