Message Boards

Topic : 05/09 Finding Allene and Mollie

Number of Replies: 406
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 05, 2006, 07:00:27 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Join Dr. Phil on an incredible journey in search of two missing girls, Allene, 13, and Mollie, 15, who were abducted by their father a year ago. The search is filled with suspense, traveling thousands of miles away from the U.S. through the jungles of a Third World country. Go inside a deeply religious community, known as the Hutterites, where the members live as if they were from a previous time: girls in bonnets and long dresses, transportation by horse and buggy and no electricity or running water. Will this global rescue mission lead to the recovery of two kidnapped children? Who has them and, more disturbingly, for what purpose? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 9, 2006, 12:53 pm CDT

I'm sorry for your struggles

Quote From: matink93

In the midst of a custody battle for my two daughers, their father told the court-appointed psychologist a bunch of lies and conveniently left out the fact that he was an abusive, selfish, and manipulative person who only wanted custody to punish me for not wanting to be with him and not subscribe to his religious beliefs.  Nothing I told her about his abusive and obsessive nature made it in the report.  After he got custody, I continued to have my visitation with my girls, waiting for the 2-year time period to expire to petition for change of custody.  During that time, he told my girls consistently and constantly that I did not love them and that I was crazy.  Once I refiled for custody, he exploded and the police took my children into protective custody.  At the hearing the next day, the judge, in the absence of physical evidence, released the girls to him and told him not to go anywhere.  Within 2 hours, his house was empty and he and the girls were gone.  The judge issued a warrant for his arrest and an emergency pickup order for my children.  They were tracked to the west coast, 3000 miles away.  He said he would only come back if I promised not to press charges and that even then, he would only send back one of the children.  After alerting the police in Washington, he was taken into police custody. The judge declined to have him shipped back to face charges upon his promise to return the children.  When he returned to the east coast, I had to go through another ordeal that took over a year with the girls having to be in court-monitored foster care and me having to go through child protective services investigating me and having to take parenting classes and the girls being in therapy to deal with being abducted by their father.  It's been 2 years since then, and my girls will barely speak to their father now.  I didn't want him to go to jail, but at the same time, I was afraid that he would take them again just to punish me.  If you tell a child something enough times, they believe it.  My children are teenagers now and know the truth about what happened and how their father manipulated them to believe his lies and feel sorry for him.  I hope Allene and Mollie's situation can work out as well as it did for my family with them getting what is best for them.
I can't imagine the pain and anger you went through!  I can only imagine how strong of a person you are today being what you went through.  We don't always know why this happens to us but I truely believe he had a plan for you.  I am happy to hear that you and your girls are doing well today!! God bless you and your girls.  I wish all of you much happiness and continued strength. 

May 9, 2006, 12:54 pm CDT

What if?

What if this mother really is a psycho and unstable? What if this Father really went to the ends of the earth to protect his daughters? They  DID give HIM custody and I hope when these girls are 18 they don't go back on the show hating Dr. Phil. 

Honestly.. In this fast paced world.. That way of life seems appealing.  

May 9, 2006, 12:56 pm CDT

Not the same thing

Quote From: fthayer

This episode of the Dr. Phil Show has brought back some horrible memories for me. It reminds me of the time when I used to be a part of a cult. Even though they claimed to be just a regular church, they held their services at Ottawa's very lavish Chateau Laurier hotel. The leaders of this so-called church acted as termites in my bloodstream. They just wouldn't leave you alone. Although they claimed that they praised the lord, they took advantage of its worshippers financially. When I wanted out, they just wouldn't take no for an answer. I know some other people that experienced the same thing with them. It wasn't a lot of fun. Eventually, the stress took its toll and I had to see a doctor about it. He told me to put as much distance between myself and the church as I possibly could. I'm afraid that the two missing girls featured on the Dr. Phil Show will be brainwashed and will have trouble integrating themselves back into mainstream society. I hope that these young girls will return to their mother with no strings attached and minimal damage done.  

Sincerely,  

Fred  

I don't believe that your weird religious experience is the same as a religion that has been around for hundreds of years and give absolutely no problems to society.   I  don't understand how you would compare the Amish and Mennonite faith with a fly-by-night cult that required monetary compensation and held their services in a flashy hotel.  I apologize for your experience but try not to compare apples with oranges.

May 9, 2006, 12:58 pm CDT

05/09 Finding Allene and Mollie

Quote From: benoliver

You are obviously not educated on the Amish and Mennonite faith.  These are Christian denominations who choose to "live IN the world but  not OF the world".  Try to be careful not to disrespect an entire group of people because you don't understand them.
The girls said they weren't allowed to attend school after 15.  That is all I need to be able to say that this is a cult that intentionally handicaps their children to prevent them from being able to live on their own outside their faith community.

May 9, 2006, 1:04 pm CDT

Quote From: dolphine

exactly!!! 

the girls areverry happy, Let them be!! 

the court system today will give children to the mothers. But little doo they know some fathers out there are alott better then the mothers. 

I say go for it!  

Live the way you want and don't let someone change that. 

Heck I would do anything for my son! If i needed to do the same as the dad I would. 

thanks   Josee. 

the girls areverry happy, Let them be!!  

When I was a kid, I would have been happy if I was allowed not to go to school or do any homework. Now as a grown u with several degrees, I am grateful my parents insisted I be educated.  I am very free to make my own choices in life because of my education. 

When I was a kid, I'd have said I was happy with my father to protect him and avoid hurting his feelings.  Also kids are scared of change and these kids have been put through a lot of changes already. 

May 9, 2006, 1:06 pm CDT

IMO...

Listening to these girls talk they sound highly intelligent.  I would bet the schooling that they have had is alot more than most kids get in 12 grades of schooling.  

I would not live this lifestyle myself but it doesn't mean it is wrong either. 

I do not agree with them being taken away from the mother, but it doesn't on surface appear they have been abused in any way. They seem healthy, happy, and very bright. 

As Dr. P stated that lifestyle is like stepping back into time.  The ways of the past are much simpler and I don't see that the lifestyle should be shunned here.  That is not the poin tof this show. THe point of the show is that the father broke the law by taking the children.   

When people critisize this religion and lifestyle.. they lose sight of the purpose of this show. 

May 9, 2006, 1:07 pm CDT

Quote From: dolphine

hey you are absolutely right on that one. Just because the mother wants to see them so bad and make the Dad look like a dead beat, doesn't mean his a bad father!! 

We never know! maybe it was hell living with mom. 

To me they look very happy with there way of living. To tell you the truth I would rather have my son tell me that he would rather live that way then not living a life he wanted to live.  

Everybody should be able to make their own choices on religion, just because they are not a adult yet doesn't give them for the parents to chose what religion they want there kids to have. 

I have a 11 year old son and he is not baptized because I don't want to make that choice for him, That will be his decision not mine. If he were to chose to live like Mollie or Allen then hey the more power to you, just make sure that we still communicate that's all really. 

Religion is religion and we make our own choices no one else will do them for you. 

take care Josee. 

Choosing NOT to baptise your child is a choice too, you know.

May 9, 2006, 1:08 pm CDT

It's a no-brainer to me

The father is clearly in the wrong here. While I am not against the religion or the lifestyle per se, when I factor in the father's decision to relocate outside fo the United States to some remote jungle in Belize, I think the children are better off in the United States. I think that the mother does have issues, but she is more fit to be their parent right now. If I were her I would press charges, have Michael arrested, have his passport revoked, and fight to the get the children back. I would also hire a private security firm or have the court put protective agents around the home to ensure that Michael doesn't try to kidnap them again.  

These girls have to have an education. They need to live a normal life. If, at the age of 18 or after going to college, they want to be part of this religion, then more power to them. But these are children; they lack the maturity and the sound mind to make decisions of this magnitude. I have no problem with them choosing this religion once they are of legal age and sound mind. At this point, though, they are neither. And they should be protected from Michael. 

These girls need a lot of therapy. It's clear to me that their isolation has affected their judgment. I don't think they should be forced to live with their father like, especially when they are not of the maturity to decide to join this religion.  

Even the Amish give their youth a year to experience the "real world". I forget what it's called. They give them the choice whether to stay in their faith or to live like the rest of us. These girls have not been afforded the same opportunity.  

I find this to be akin to the Christian Scientists. They don't believe in going to the doctor. However, in cases where children under age 18 have died for not receiving medical care, courts have ruled that the parents must seek care for their underage children. I feel the same way about these kids.  

Michael belongs in jail. He needs to be behind bars for what he did. Or at the very least they need to make sure that he does not kidnap the girls. 

My main point is that these girls are not of sound mind and maturity to decide to join a religion like this. If they want to do it at age 18 or after going to college, once they demonostrate that they clearly know the ramifications of their decisions, I have no problem with it. But I do have a problem with subjecting underage children to a world like this.  

These girls are heavily influenced by their father. Like earlier posters I do agree that they seem to be brainwashed. I'm not going to call this sect a cult, but I see characteristics of what I would expect to see in brainwashed folks.  

May 9, 2006, 1:09 pm CDT

Parent alienation and kidnapping

These incidents happen more often than people are aware of.  I had legal custody of my 3 girls.  My oldest ran away  and the courts did absolutley nothing.  If the roles were reversed I would still be in prison.  Three years ago, my younger 2 ran away and child services returned them to me, again the courts did nothing, they ran away and again were hidden at the same friends house.     

The courts would not prosecute the mother or her friend.  The end result has been that I gave up, went to Iraq, and am still here on my second deployment.  The oldest went to prison for heroin use/possesion, the younger 2 one of had drug issues, and the youngest has so far managed to stay out of trouble, but all are very estranged from me.   

These girls were bright and happy and not prone to getting into legal troubles and yes thier mother uses drugs,  and this is known to the court system which is part of the reason I was granted custody.  And she surrounds the girls and herself with drug abusers and real underbelly types.  So if you are looking for help in pennsylvania, or the legal system in general.  You have a better chance of hitting the lottery. 

May 9, 2006, 1:09 pm CDT

I don't see what all the fuss is about ???

Obviously this 'single' mother has anger issues and is obviously abusive.  The masonite community, however old fashioned, seems to be doing a wonderful job with these girls.  They are both very intelligent and much more articulate than the 'norm' society is raising today.  The daughter's obviously do not want to be living with their mother ~ so what IS all the fuss about ???  The men in this world should have equal rights to custody instead of just being looked at as a paycheck. I also believe that if more men in this world were given custody of their children instead of mother's,  we would have a much lower teenage dropout rate (or the homeschooling copout), a lower rate of teenage pregnancy, and street crime/gang banging would decrease.  Just because someone is a 'mother' for giving birth ~ does not automatically 'make' them a mother that is nurturing and caring of their children.  When this country realizes that ~ we will be in a much better place.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last